No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Other people might question if a person like that has faith, but it's possible that he still has faith. In the Bible it's called death faith, and it's called being backslidden.

But does not Christ himself say;

Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

- Matthew 7:21-22

Doesn't this indeed not only state that many who profess faith with their lips, but even who profess great works are not guaranteed salvation?

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

- Philippians 2:12

Does this also not explicitly state that salvation requires work? And that rather than just having faith and sitting back, comfortable with getting your rubber stamp, you should actually be afraid lest your work is not deemed good enough, like the prophets and healers in Matthew above.

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

- James 2:26

So those who have "backslidden" have killed their faith. I'm curious about how far one can backslide and still be justified by their faith?

I don't know about this concept. It sounds to me like it was invented by people who are afraid of what the Bible actually says in places like Matthew 7. It's clear to me that a profession of faith in itself is insufficient

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious about how far one can backslide and still be justified by their faith?

You can backslide as much as you want but you will never backslide to hell. If you could go to hell by backsliding too much, that would make God a liar because God promised that you really just need to believe in Jesus to be saved. It's truly that simple. No-one who has Jesus in their heart will go to hell, no matter how much they backslide.

"But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul." - Hebrews 10:39

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." - 2 Corinthians 11:3

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You can backslide as much as you want but you will never backslide to hell. If you could go to hell by backsliding too much, that would make God a liar because God promised that you really just need to believe in Jesus to be saved. It's truly that simple. No-one who has Jesus in their heart will go to hell, no matter how much they backslide.

"But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul." - Hebrews 10:39

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." - 2 Corinthians 11:3

So having made a profession of faith I can now go and rape and murder someone and I'm still good? Do you realise how insane that is?

• Agree
Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So having made a profession of faith I can now go and rape and murder someone and I'm still good? Do you realise how insane that is?

Yes, even if you did that, you would still be allowed to go to heaven. That's how much God loves you. But why would you want to do such thing? Even people who are non-Christians are usually horrified by things like murder and rape. Even they don't do those things.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, even if you did that, you would still be allowed to go to heaven. That's how much God loves you. But why would you want to do such thing? Even people who are non-Christians are usually horrified by things like murder and rape. Even they don't do those things.

I don't disagree that someone could be allowed into heaven after murdering someone, however I would say that they would have to repent and turn once more towards God sincerely, resolving not to do it again and being sincerely remorseful.

I mean you could take my example further, what is the worst thing you could imagine someone doing? Genocide? Mass murder? If someone does these and dies without repentance, are they really still justified because they once made a profession of faith? To me that really does not line up with Matthew 7. In fact I'd say its the precise opposite of what is being said there. If someone can do miracles in the name of the Lord, and still be declared never to have been known by Him, what does this say about those who profess Him and do works of evil?

I think faith is a living thing, not just a rubber stamp that we get once and that's it. It requires constantly turning back to God in repentance each time we fall into sin asking for His mercy. I don't see that it is a box that you can tick and then carry on doing whatever you want for the rest of your life.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

what if someone believes in Christ, but absolutely hates Him and wants nothing to do with Him? what if this guy hates God so much that the thought of being with Him eternally is torture?

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what if someone believes in Christ, but absolutely hates Him and wants nothing to do with Him? what if this guy hates God so much that the thought of being with Him eternally is torture?

Not possible. You are asking silly questions.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the Bible is meant for humans, not demons.

the Bible also says that every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ. if it's every knee, that includes the damned.

plus, I wasn't talking about the Bible's intended audience, but what it records.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums