The Anathemas against The Image Breakers from The Seventh Ecumenical Council in 787 A.D.

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It appears these Christian Idols are Corban?

Anathema to those who call the sacred images idols.

You get an Anathema, You get an Anathema , You get an Anathema :

tenor.gif

^^^ This gif is supposed to be for humor ^^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

What makes them sacred?

Also Paul said Bless and do not Curse.

Let them be Anathema is a far cry from pronouncing curses yourself, that's what some non-Christian religions do.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What makes them sacred?

Also Paul said Bless and do not Curse.

Let them be Anathema is a far cry from pronouncing curses yourself, that's what some non-Christian religions do.

If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, Let Him Be Accursed. O Lord, come!
• 1 Corinthians 16:22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, Let Him Be Accursed. O Lord, come!
• 1 Corinthians 16:22

So you applied the real presence of the Eucharist Sacrament to Icons, thus designating them the real presence of Jesus. Is that what happened?

Otherwise the verse is totally out of context.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the verse is totally out of context.

You posted, "Paul said Bless and do not Curse."

So I posted a verse where Paul says "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, Let Him Be Accursed."

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You posted "Paul said Bless and do not Curse."

So I posted a verse where Paul says "If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, Let Him Be Accursed."

Yes, in that context it is related to the perception of that day, that those who are ignorant are under a heavy curse. The religious leaders who plotted against Jesus said the same thing about the common people.

Let him be accursed means to just let them, take no action to remove said curse, or try to convince otherwise.

However, the attitude to pronounce the anathema as if it's some power or right of the priesthood, that's witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
However, the attitude to pronounce the anathema as if it's some power or right of the priesthood, that's witchcraft.

Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then The Disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

• John 20:19-23

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then The Disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
• 20:19-23

Yeah I remember the angels painting a caricature of humans holding one another in hell because they wouldn't forgive one another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Your verse was about people forgiving or not forgiving sins based on their own will, same deal. If the church decides everyone who doesn't agree with them is going to hell and pronounces a curse to "mark" them, these kind of things have a tendency to blow back and return the judgment back to those supporting the idea.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If there's one thing CF proves, it's that folks just love re-hashing centuries old arguments.

The OP only goes to prove that once again.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if this was already covered but how do these Anathemas apply to Christians today? What are the spiritual consequences for a Christian (or a denomination) in 2019 who refuses to venerate icons?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am glad it is not required for me as a Christian to like this type stuff. I have no desire to be either Orthodox or iconoclast. The Ordinances of the Azusa Street Mission in that I support were Basically Seven….

Justification by faith – We are saved, or justified, by simple faith in Christ.
Sanctification by faith - As a second definite work of grace upon the heart and evidenced by the sweet spirit of Christ in the experience!
Power - The baptism in the Holy Ghost is a gift of power upon the sanctified life, anointing it in service and in work, with the speaking in tongues as one of the ‘signs following’ in the baptized believer along with casting out devils, healing the sick and the fruits of the Spirit accompanying the signs.
Marriage – As a holy union between a man and a woman.
Water Baptism – On those who have reached the age of accountability
Communion - “We believe in the ordinance of the Lord’s supper as instituted by Jesus and followed by the apostles, and teach that it should be frequently observed in holy reverence.”
Foot Washing - “We believe in feet washing as an ordinance, as it was established by our Master before the Lord’s supper, according to John 13:4-18, and believe it was practiced by the Apostles and disciples through the First Century” (1 Tim. 5:10).

The Methods to the Fullness of the Spirit of God were Basically Seven....

1. Justification - Faith to enter in
2. Salvation - Christ is our sacrifice
3. Sanctification - "Sanctification makes us clean on the inside." - William Seymour
4. Bible Reading - At the Table of Shewbread
5. Spiritual Fruit - At the Lampstand
6. Prayer and Praise meetings - At the Altar of Golden Incense
7. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit - In the Holy of Holies

And in William Seymours own handwriting....
306771_62d03db509627afb19b560ab363a28e3.jpg

The images I would hold dear would be that of the cross and the temple images above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
None.

Like a sparrow in its flitting, like a swallow in its flying, a curse that is causeless does not alight. —Proverbs 26:2

God isn’t going to and hasn’t cursed me for the absence of icon veneration. It is idolatrous (to me) and I’ll have no part in its practice in my walk, home, or relationship. I have no jurisdiction over others. But as for me and my house...

• Agree
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
• Seventh Ecumenical Council (787 A.D.)

Session 1

CHURCH FATHERS: Second Council of Nicaea

Anathema to the calumniators of the Christians, that is to The Image Breakers.

Anathema to those who apply the words of Holy Scripture which were spoken against idols, to the venerable images.

Anathema to those who do not salute the holy and venerable images.

Anathema to those who say that Christians have recourse to the images as to gods.

Anathema to those who knowingly communicate with those who revile and dishonour the venerable images.

Anathema to those who say that another than Christ our Lord has delivered us from idols.

Anathema to those who spurn the teachings of the holy Fathers and the tradition of the Catholic Church, taking as a pretext and making their own the arguments of Arius, Nestorius, Eutyches, and Dioscorus, that unless we were evidently taught by the Old and New Testaments, we should not follow the teachings of the holy Fathers and of the holy Ecumenical Synods, and the tradition of the Catholic Church.

Anathema to those who dare to say that the Catholic Church has at any time sanctioned idols.

Anathema to those who say that the making of images is a diabolical invention and not a tradition of our holy Fathers.

Seventh Ecumenical Council - OrthodoxWiki

sundayorthodoxy.jpg

icon-of-the-triumph-of-orthodoxy.jpg

thank God for bringing the reformation !

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That settles it I guess. So how do we who don't salute your venerable images reverse the curse exactly? Is it too late once a curse is cast? Or can we repent and start saluting?
Cursing another is missing the mark, a sin. So we can confess it, and it should eventually go away. There's just so many anathemas out there, they hurt.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That settles it I guess. So how do we who don't salute your venerable images reverse the curse exactly? Is it too late once a curse is cast? Or can we repent and start saluting?

I don't know. Keep in mind that this was directed at the ones who were influenced by Islam and were specifically smashing the images at that particular time in history.

In short, I don't know exactly how it works for Christians who are not even Orthodox today.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0