Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Due to the way minimum wage falls there, I'm guessing this isn't taking into account inflation.

Based on just running some numbers, it would appear some of those numbers are taking it into account while others aren't...

The college tuition one jumps out as being legit.

For example, in 1980 you could attend a public 4-year state school for around $800. Adjusted for inflation...that would be about $3100 today.

Considering that a 4-year state school can cost you over $30k today, that number isn't too far off...

The medical care number is hit or miss...they're not specific about which aspect of medical care they're referring to, or the facility type. Too many variables in that one just to put a blanket "601% increase" label on it.

The aspect that's the most troubling about the college tuition bit is that not only have the costs grown exponentially, but that it's become exponentially more difficult to get a middle-class wage without one.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Winner
Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Based on just running some numbers, it would appear some of those numbers are taking it into account while others aren't...

The college tuition one jumps out as being legit.

For example, in 1980 you could attend a public 4-year state school for around $800. Adjusted for inflation...that would be about $3100 today.

Considering that a 4-year state school can cost you over $30k today, that number isn't too far off...

The medical care number is hit or miss...they're not specific about which aspect of medical care they're referring to, or the facility type. Too many variables in that one just to put a blanket "601% increase" label on it.

The aspect that's the most troubling about the college tuition bit is that not only have the costs grown exponentially, but that it's become exponentially more difficult to get a middle-class wage without one.
There been some talks regarding an upcoming college financial bubble ready to pop in some point in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Several:
U.S. lags behind peer countries in mobility
The figure below is from the link above and is one example. The closer the number to 0, the greater the upward mobility. So all of the countries with a lower value than the US, have greater upward mobility (one can realize "the American Dream" more easily in those countries than in America)
snapshot-mobility.png.608
http://www.epi.org/files/2012/snapshot-mobility.png.608

Apples to oranges. Find the same figures per item in the original OP graphic. Then we can talk

You'll note that not one of those 'better countries' has people trying to immigrate to in vast numbers. Besides the refugee crisis in Europe.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Apples to oranges. Find the same figures per item in the original OP graphic. Then we can talk
Do what? The subject is "The American Dream" which is the trait of upward mobility. There are a number of studies that measure upward mobility and compare the US to other nations (exactly answering the question you asked).

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do what? The subject is "The American Dream" which is the trait of upward mobility. There are a number of studies that measure upward mobility and compare the US to other nations (exactly answering the question you asked).

See the OP graphic? Match those numbers for other countries. If you can't, that's ok. But until you do, I don't believe there is common ground to speak of.

Additionally the American Dream is still alive and well for those who do things right, work hard and seek to advance.

If you don't know, I am an immigrants son.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

You'll note that not one of those 'better countries' has people trying to immigrate to in vast numbers. Besides the refugee crisis in Europe.
"You'll note that not one of those 'better countries' has people trying to immigrate to in vast numbers. Besides the refugee crisis in Europe."

You'll note that the subject at hand is Upward Mobility (aka, the American Dream) and measures of it indicate that the US is not the home of the American Dream any longer. As to what constitutes a "better" country overall, that is entirely subjective. But what constitutes a better country with respect to upward mobility is actually much clearer and easier to demonstrate, and that is indicated in the studies the studies I have linked to (including the one example from the graphic from just one of them).

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
See the OP graphic? Match those numbers for other countries. If you can't, that's ok. But until you do, I don't believe there is common ground to speak of.

Additionally the American Dream is still alive and well for those who do things right, work hard and seek to advance.

"See the OP graphic? Match those numbers for other countries. If you can't, that's ok. But until you do, I don't believe there is common ground to speak of."

What I linked to is relevant with respect to the subject at hand. The data in the graphic are only some of the factors used in those studies. Did you even open the links and look through them?

"Additionally the American Dream is still alive and well for those who do things right, work hard and seek to advance."

Did anyone here claim that upward mobility is dead in the US? No, so I don't know why you'd even make this comment. The point is that upward mobility in the US (aka: The American Dream) is NOT as widely available as it once was (and hasn't really been anywhere near the same since the 80's), and that there are other countries that surpass the US when it comes to the "American Dream" (and when comparing individual states to other countries, many states are even worse off).

"If you don't know, I am an immigrants son."

This is true (that we are descended from immigrants, not necessarily that we are all 1st generation immigrants) for everyone living in the US who isn't descended from Native Americans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

???
Upward mobility is often used as a measure of the equivalent of the American Dream. We might use polls with regard how happy folks are with their society. We might use polls with regard to how happy folks are with their jobs and prospects. We might use measures of well-being or of health. In all of these, the US lags far behind many European countries.

What would you consider reasonable items to poll to decide if a country were "better" or had a better dream for their people?

• Agree
Reactions: TBDude65
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I am asked by is to substantiate the claim by matching the numbers in the OP.

Why is that so difficult to do?

This isn't rocket science, specific numbers were offered as validation. I am asking a comparison based on the same criteria.

Evidently that can't be done.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All I am asked by is to substantiate the claim by matching the numbers in the OP.

Why is that so difficult to do?

This isn't rocket science, specific numbers were offered as validation. I am asking a comparison based on the same criteria.

Evidently that can't be done.
Did you read the articles in the links? (there are numerous articles in them, it's not just one paper per link)

Upvote 0