The American Conservative: The Day Trump Lost the Presidency

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well he is sort of a minor victim for getting the blame. Did you blame Obama for Ferguson and Baltimore and such?

No, but Donald did. #theresalwaysatweet

trump_ferguson.jpg

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟217,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My mayor addressed the rioters directly. Did he ask them to stop rioting? No, he asked them to please remember to wear masks. I'm not joking.

This sounds like a statement by your mayor to the protesters before any rioting began. Very dishonest to conflate the two after the fact.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please demonstrate that Trump made anything worse.
all those people getting teargassed are just so President Trump can walk over and get a picture taken. That kind of looks worse to me. :wave:
tulc(the teargas/rubber bullets were also used on the people who's church it was just so he could get his picture taken in front of holding a bible) :sigh:

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh yes, comforting words always stop crime. With a few comforting words I'm sure all those people would go put the TV's back on the shelves.
Comforting words don't stop a thief.

But comforting words can minister to a community ...

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can think of lots of reasons why it wouldn't/shouldn't be Trump. While I think Donald's business successes are often over-stated by his fanbase, he's obviously done well at certain things, but his kids don't even have that. Eric, Don Jr, and Ivanka have done nothing but ride daddy's coattails their entire lives. None of them have gone out and done anything notable on their own. Ditto for Jared.

Not that I think too highly of the Republican party now, but if you guys nominate one of the Trump kids, you can pretty much give up any chance of claiming that you're anything other than a personality cult. There's absolutely no reason to nominate them over any of the other, substantially more qualified candidates, except for fealty to the name "Trump."

I keep thinking that, too, for some reason.
Using that same logic can you find any reason why the younger Bush would have been seen as a viable candidate years prior to his nomination? He did not exactly look like the sharpest crayola in the box.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Using that same logic can you find any reason why the younger Bush would have been seen as a viable candidate years prior to his nomination? He did not exactly look like the sharpest crayola in the box.

Prior to becoming president, W had had a reasonably successful business career and had been governor of Texas for a term and a half.

Did he ride daddy’s name to office? Probably. But most of his career seems to have been reasonably independent of his father (aside, perhaps, from the usual amount of favors called in). Contrast that with Jared and the Trump kids who all work directly for their fathers.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,528.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I blame President Trump for exasperating the situation, can you point out where President Obama made those situations worse? Called for sending the army in so as to "dominate on the streets"? Called in troops to drive protesters away so he could get his picture taken in front of a church holding a bible? :scratch:
tulc(isn't surprised President Obama is suddenly brought up in a thread about President Trump) :wave:
Again, how did Trump make the situation worse?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,528.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You don’t think he got heat from conservatives at the time for it? Obama couldn’t even comment on the Trayvon Martin incident without the right calling him a race baiter and accusing him of inflaming the situation.
That's because his comments were race-baiting and inflammatory. "If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon".
I guarantee that if there were ever a week of nationwide protests, looting, violence and vandalism incidents and Obama responded with threatening to use military force against Americans to quell the protests an impeachment would certainly have been in very short order. There’s no way the right wing would have let any of this fly during his administration without complaint.
Yeah, impeachment by Democrats maybe. I would have applauded him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,528.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This sounds like a statement by your mayor to the protesters before any rioting began. Very dishonest to conflate the two after the fact.
No, it's the exact opposite. The first night, there were no "peaceful protests", only a bit of rioting. Protest didn't take place until the next day, after his comment. I suspect he'd been watching TV, heard there were protests in other cities, and confused the two things.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,528.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
all those people getting teargassed are just so President Trump can walk over and get a picture taken. That kind of looks worse to me. :wave:
tulc(the teargas/rubber bullets were also used on the people who's church it was just so he could get his picture taken in front of holding a bible) :sigh:
They were told to move and they didn't. With all the violence breaking out, can you even in your wildest dreams imagine letting the POTUS walk through a crowd you know nothing about at this time? That would be lunacy.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prior to becoming president, W had had a reasonably successful business career and had been governor of Texas for a term and a half.

Did he ride daddy’s name to office? Probably. But most of his career seems to have been reasonably independent of his father (aside, perhaps, from the usual amount of favors called in). Contrast that with Jared and the Trump kids who all work directly for their fathers.
And the real funny thing is that his dad did not want him to run for president. Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump among top Republican picks for 2024

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's because his comments were race-baiting and inflammatory. "If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon".

Psst...
just fyi, Obama is black, just like Trayvon was.

Genetics 101... if Obama had a son who looked like, say, Jackie Chan, then at the very least, Michelle would have some 'splainin' to do...

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, how did Trump make the situation worse?
Well...before he decided to pretend he didn't just spend all that time cowering in his bunker by walking to a church to get his picture taken there wasn't any tear gas or rubber bullets flying around and then there was. Now, I've been tear gassed, and I will tell you right up front: the situation was worse after the tear gas then before. So he made the situation worse. :sorry:
tulc(thinks it seems pretty straight forward to him: tear gas+rubber bullets=worse) :wave:

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were told to move and they didn't.
wow...protesters who still had time before they had to leave a park who didn't leave because someone wanted to take a walk and get a picture...who could seen that making a situation worse?

With all the violence breaking out, can you even in your wildest dreams imagine letting the POTUS walk through a crowd you know nothing about at this time?
Come on, that shouldn't be a problem for a President who swore he'd run into a building with an active shooter in it without a gun so he could protect kids.

That would be lunacy.
Well...in President Trumps defense, he may have just been having some sort of reaction to the Hydroxychloroquine rather then his having outright lunacy I've heard it can cause mood swings and such.
tulc(is just sayn') :sorry:

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Again, the situation across the country is very volatile and political conditions may change considerably in the next few months.
Once the SPORTSBALL SEASONS reboot, the level of serious political discourse will go up considerably.

Upvote 0