Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I read this story years ago. It broke my hear then and it still breaks my heart now.

It is a powerful example of where patriarchy leads, if taken to its logical conclusion. And complementarianism is patriarchy.

Have any of our forum members experienced anything like this? Or perhaps someone you know?

The Amazing Bosch Universal Mixer (link)

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I read this story years ago. It broke my hear then and it still breaks my heart now.

It is a powerful example of where patriarchy leads, if taken to its logical conclusion. And complementarianism is patriarchy.

Have any of our forum members experienced anything like this? Or perhaps someone you know?

In the 1st century Greco-Roman household, the male patriarch of the family even had the literal power of life and death over all the other (lesser) members - wife, children, slaves. This is the sort of family structure that complimentarians are to strive for as apparently the most Christ-like (even though any rational person can easily see that it's wrong) due to a backwards misinterpretation of Paul's analogy.

Patriarchy is evil. And that it is often implemented in the name of God is even more evil.

What happened to that woman is abuse.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's like a bird in a cage. It's beauty and goodness bound for the sake of the beholder. It disregards the inherent joy of seeing life and goodness flourish uninhibited. It's exchanging a dollar for a dime. Men do it all the time, missing out on what is possible for what they can control.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If you're willing to leave the family behind, men usually change their mind on the details including kitchen appliances. My dad softened up quite a bit when my mom stood her ground.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's like a bird in a cage. It's beauty and goodness bound for the sake of the beholder.

What a perfect way to describe this. I'd never thought to put it in these words before. Thanks.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you're willing to leave the family behind, men usually change their mind on the details including kitchen appliances. My dad softened up quite a bit when my mom stood her ground.
If only life were that simply worked out. This article infers just how isolated the lives of these women are - and how detached from any support systems they are (and how their minds have been polluted by beliefs that "obeying their husbands = obeying God"). It's just not easy for them to even SEE clearly what's going on. From what I recall about the main author of this blog (from reading years ago) - she ended up an atheist because she had it so enmeshed in her mind that "obeying husbands = obeying God" and she'd never heard any other view of Christianity.

About NLQ - No Longer Quivering

Podcast Ep. 131: Vyckie Garrison, Former Quiverfull Mother

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That is sad about the bread maker. (Looking at the page in question, I would like to point out that patriarchy is not intrinsic to Quiverfull.)

Quiverfull is an extreme version to be sure. But Patriarchy is otherwise known as "complementarianism." Russell Moore, the current president of Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, the public-policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention is on record as saying they are the same thing, and he prefers the word patriarchy.

Owen Strachan, the former president of the Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, and Denny Burk the current president of the same, are also both on record making similar statements.

Complementarianism, and "Male headship" (where "head" is synonymous with "leader") are both forms of patriarchy. It is a glorification of the fallen condition of Genesis 3:16, and it has no place in the body of Christ.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense...

Abusive leadership only occurs when there is a 'Lording it over' going on and this can be either male or female.

You are assuming maleness carries inherent authority over women. Paidiske is correct. Your post was full of the rhetoric used to justify male "headship" and women's subordination.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are assuming maleness carries inherent authority over women. Paidiske is correct. Your post was full of the rhetoric used to justify male "headship" and women's subordination.
I agree. This form may be even MORE dangerous because of how covert it is. A man with this variety of complementarianism can pat himself on the back for sort of "emptying himself" of his "authority" that was "given to him" (sorry about all the quotes - but so much of this belongs to the complementarianism teaching and not really what I believe is true...thus the quotation marks) and he can gain a sense of pride about his "sacrifice" he's made in simply being decent to his wife.

• Winner
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Patriarchy is evil. And that it is often implemented in the name of God is even more evil.

I agree, in fact I suspect that patriarchy is the most pernicious evil that humanity has ever inflicted on itself.

• Optimistic
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I agree. This form may be even MORE dangerous because of how covert it is. A man with this variety of complementarianism can pat himself on the back for sort of "emptying himself" of his "authority" that was "given to him" (sorry about all the quotes - but so much of this belongs to the complementarianism teaching and not really what I believe is true...thus the quotation marks) and he can gain a sense of pride about his "sacrifice" he's made in simply being decent to his wife.

Personally, I find this attitude in many ways even MORE patronizing and vile than men who just outright say that women are crap, though there really isn't much difference between the two on the inside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry - totally missed that...

Mind you I said nothing about inequality...

But you managed to say things that don't agree to the rest of the SOP:
  • Belief that both woman and man were created for full and equal partnership.
  • Belief that husbands and wives are joint heirs together of the grace of life and that they are bound together in a relationship of mutual submission and responsibility

When you said "scriptural order of function in a marriage...."

In the vast majority of cases, that statement is uses to undermine the concept of equal partnership and equal authority in a marriage.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I find this attitude in many ways even MORE patronizing and vile than men who just outright say that women are crap, though there really isn't much difference between the two on the inside.
I think the covert version has to do with a man that's realized that "being nice" is an important part of being accepted in most cultures and has that as an integral part of his personal values.

It's a way that these "nice guys" can appease themselves that they are "nice" - and, to be fair, I also think there's a burden of responsibility that goes to the ones that have taught this form of complementarianism.....because they are deceiving others and convincing them this is what "God desires" (and it's much more palatable than the overt variety of subordination).

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the 1st century Greco-Roman household, the male patriarch of the family even had the literal power of life and death over all the other (lesser) members - wife, children, slaves. This is the sort of family structure that complimentarians are to strive for as apparently the most Christ-like (even though any rational person can easily see that it's wrong) due to a backwards misinterpretation of Paul's analogy.

What happened to that woman is abuse.

I seemed to have lost the privilege to like posts but I agree with you.

Many Christians do misinterpret Paul's teachings out of ignorance. Because Paul adapts his teachings to the cultural background of his audience and according to the knowledge they possess.

And Paul did mention how and why he does that in the Bible. Christians need to pay careful attention to what they are reading in the Bible so they don't end up deceiving themselves or others.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I seemed to have lost the privilege to like posts but I agree with you.

Many Christians do misinterpret Paul's teachings out of ignorance. Because Paul adapts his teachings to the cultural background of his audience and according to the knowledge they possess.

And Paul did mention how and why he does that in the Bible. Christians need to pay careful attention to what they are reading in the Bible so they don't end up deceiving themselves or others.

Yes, too many try to make it all about us in the 21st century while ignoring all historical and cultural context, the fact that Paul actually had an original audience and reasons why he wrote what he wrote to them specifically, etc. If there is anything that could be applied to our own lives today, it should be the very last step in the process after carefully considering everything else, and not the first step.

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quiverfull is an extreme version to be sure.
No, I mean Quiverfull (like myself and so many others that I have met) does not require such patriarchy. Patriarchy is more associated with Cessationists and not a requirement for QF. (That is a stereotype.)

It is more common for wives to become QF, first, and then sell their husbands on it. My wife and I became QF at the same time, while rejecting typical patriarchal dogma. (We both have to deal with selfishness as is necessary, but it isn't institutionalized selfishness.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0