Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Afghanistan is now America's longest war......was it all worth it?

"The conflict had left 2,400 U.S. service members dead and more than 20,000 wounded; more than 145,000 people in all, including Afghan military, police and civilians, have died, according to a 2018 report from Brown University’s Costs of War Project; America has spent $737 billion on the war."

Insightful article from a journalist who has reported from Afghanistan at various phases of the war. There are no easy answers...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-longtime-correspondent-asks-was-it-worth-it/

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can’t say. I dated someone who went to Afghanistan. When he returned safely I hoped that was it. But when his father died abruptly he signed up for a second tour.

I shared my concerns but I knew he would never be the person I adored again. I knew it would change him and it did. Something died inside.

War takes a toll on the soul. He made it through two tours without injury. But if it were up to me the second would not have happened. It deepened his atheism and his bloom was forever changed.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it wasn’t worth the cost and we are not better off for it.
Unfortunately you are correct. But it’s hard to see how the conflict could’ve been avoided given 9/11. But getting off track by invading Iraq was probably the biggest error. It seemed the West had no end game. And the counter insurgency (COIN) strategy has always been a loser, it seems.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can’t say. I dated someone who went to Afghanistan. When he returned safely I hoped that was it. But when his father died abruptly he signed up for a second tour.

I shared my concerns but I knew he would never be the person I adored again. I knew it would change him and it did. Something died inside.

War takes a toll on the soul. He made it through two tours without injury. But if it were up to me the second would not have happened. It deepened his atheism and his bloom was forever changed.

Yes, the casualty figures don't capture the ripple effects of altered and forever changed lives. I am sorry for the loss of the man you once knew.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately you are correct. But it’s hard to see how the conflict could’ve been avoided given 9/11. But getting off track by invading Iraq was probably the biggest error. It seemed the West had no end game. And the counter insurgency (COIN) strategy has always been a loser, it seems.

Removing Al Qaeda was necessary. Aside from the foolish notion of building Afghanistan in our own image, the question became (and continues), how do we ensure Afghanistan does not become another terrorists launch pad? As the author notes:

While the Taliban and the United States have been talking peace, the ISIS-K threat has grown. And intelligence officials in Miller’s headquarters fear peace will drive the Taliban’s more fanatical fighters into ISIS-K’s ranks. That’s why the hope is that any troop drawdown won’t include Special Operations teams working against the Islamic State. “The Taliban want Afghanistan,” said the officer who explained the gym attack. “They want their country back. The Islamic State wants to change the world map.”

How many Americans know of "ISIS-K"? I didn't.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Removing Al Qaeda was necessary. Aside from the foolish notion of building Afghanistan in our own image, the question became (and continues), how do we ensure Afghanistan does not become another terrorists launch pad? As the author notes:

While the Taliban and the United States have been talking peace, the ISIS-K threat has grown. And intelligence officials in Miller’s headquarters fear peace will drive the Taliban’s more fanatical fighters into ISIS-K’s ranks. That’s why the hope is that any troop drawdown won’t include Special Operations teams working against the Islamic State. “The Taliban want Afghanistan,” said the officer who explained the gym attack. “They want their country back. The Islamic State wants to change the world map.”

How many Americans know of "ISIS-K"? I didn't.
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – Khorasan Province - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Afghanistan is now America's longest war......was it all worth it?

"The conflict had left 2,400 U.S. service members dead and more than 20,000 wounded; more than 145,000 people in all, including Afghan military, police and civilians, have died, according to a 2018 report from Brown University’s Costs of War Project; America has spent $737 billion on the war."

Insightful article from a journalist who has reported from Afghanistan at various phases of the war. There are no easy answers...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-longtime-correspondent-asks-was-it-worth-it/
what if the Afghanistan war was about controlling the poppy fields and heroin productions it might not make sense but certainly make cents. this about the east india corp that turned china into a lot of opium addicts for great profits. This is more than likely what was the core motive of this entanglement.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what if the Afghanistan war was about controlling the poppy fields and heroin productions it might not make sense but certainly make cents. this about the east india corp that turned china into a lot of opium addicts for great profits. This is more than likely what was the core motive of this entanglement.
The thought has crossed my mind. It makes perfect sense that drug money could fund the Taliban. I certainly hope elements of our government are not in the drug business.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, the casualty figures don't capture the ripple effects of altered and forever changed lives. I am sorry for the loss of the man you once knew.

Thank you. It has been a long while since we conversed. But your words have inspired me to pray for him. He had a wonderful heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wars are not won by half hearted means.
It is total war or it is just a policing action.
Worked like a charm for the Russians during their tenure in the region.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Worked like a charm for the Russians during their tenure in the region.
Sorry but that was not total war either.

A war to be won is one that destroy utterly the enemies people and land is needed to win. Just like in ww2 the fire bombing of their cities for example. I talked with an army colonel who was in the first Iraq war, and they just quit because the army brass was concerned about the numbers of those killed on the Iraq side which was what they thought too many. And consider Isis, they are now living uncomfortably in camps, and still dancing around their flag and promising future bloodshed. The Iraqis are bringing many isis men and women to tribunals and summary executions in just minutes, something the western powers are not willing to do.

IT is probably true that to win an Afghanistan war , many of the people there would have to be killed and all of the combatants would have to be killed, and then there will still be more to come in the future because others believe in the ideology..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I see, what is an example of total war then?
One that is won at all costs.
to·tal war
noun
a war that is unrestricted in terms of the weapons used, the territory or combatants involved, or the objectives pursued, especially one in which the laws of war are disregarded.

A friend on mines father was in ww2 fighting in the mountains around Italy and Germany, He said they did not take prisoners, when German Nazi's surrendered they were lined up and all of them shot. Of course that bothered me, but he said they were evil Nazi's and unfit to live. And none of the brass ever stopped them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One that is won at all costs.
to·tal war
noun
a war that is unrestricted in terms of the weapons used, the territory or combatants involved, or the objectives pursued, especially one in which the laws of war are disregarded

Had we sank to that level of barbarism the cost would have been worse and been a greater loss as would have forfeited our status as a civilized nation.

A friend on mines father was in ww2 fighting in the mountains around Italy and Germany, He said they did not take prisoners, when German Nazi's surrendered they were lined up and all of them shot. Of course that bothered me, but he said they were evil Nazi's and unfit to live. And none of the brass ever stopped them.

The tactics that the Russians employed in Afghanistan were no less brutal nor indiscriminate.

Unless by total war you mean killing the entire population of the country?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely, win at any cost. If we had nuclear bombs ready, we would have bombed the Nazi's.
We firebombed their cities which resulted in a very similar destruction.
We divided their nation.
We destroyed the ideology for the most part.
Unfortunately, we also set the stage for the next wars. Ultimately war is like that.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Had we sank to that level of barbarism the cost would have been worse and been a greater loss as would have forfeited our status as a civilized nation.

The tactics that the Russians employed in Afghanistan were no less brutal nor indiscriminate.

Unless by total war you mean killing the entire population of the country?
That 'war' did not involve our lands or threaten our national existence. it is very remote from where we are as a nation.

There are no enemy armies fighting in our streets.

Upvote 0