The Abide Bible - Biblically sound or new age nonsense to avoid?

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A version of the Abide Bible using the NET translation is on Scribd, which I subscribe to, as it has become a fantastic value for money since they removed the limits on the number of ebooks you could read each month, and I just took a look at it, and it seems quite decent and not at all New Age. It does not appear to be specifically doctrinally Lutheran, so your LSB/ESV would still be of benefit I think.

Thank you very much for the info! I have several specifically study-oriented Bible versions - I enjoy reading all of them to contrast/compare the commentary and historical info included. My favorite just happens to be ESV LSB, but I'm always always open to more. :)

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That looks very interesting. Out of curiosity do you read the Deuterocanonical Books in the Divine Office in the LCMS like the Anglicans?
No, and I had to Google it ha ha :laughing:

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a Lutheran Study Bible (I bought it on Kindle), but I was slightly disappointed that the commentary was not as extensive as in my Orthodox Study Bible or my frustratingly dispensationalist premillenialist Calvinist King James Study Bible. I am wondering if I bought the right edition or if there could be more than one...

Premillinealist Dispensationalist and Calvinist?! I've never heard of such a thing all the Calvinists I've ever known have always been post or amillinial and don't believe in the rapture lol.

• Haha
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have the Orthodox Study Bible as well and I found the exact opposite, that the LSB had twice the commentary! Clearly it's not that I'm right/you're wrong or vice versa - just interesting how two people can interpret things so dramatically differently. :)

OR - more likely, the LSB you have is different from the one I bought on Amazon perhaps? Because the one I bought seemed sparse in terms of commentary, so I don’t think its a case of subjective opinion but rather you actually have a better, more comprehensive edition, or else something is messed up in the Ebook edition with the comments...

Perhaps we could figure out a way to compare our two editions to find out whats going on?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It appears it came out of Taylor University here in Indiana. Taylor is a good institution and the only professional review I can seems to look at it in a positive light.

The Abide Bible — Bible Review Blog
From the pictures used in the review, it looks like it incorporates a lot of things that are helpful if you're new to the faith but don't have a church to bible study or prayer meet with.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That looks very interesting. Out of curiosity do you read the Deuterocanonical Books in the Divine Office in the LCMS like the Anglicans?
It is used more in the Gradual and Antiphons.

• Informative
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,053.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
OR - more likely, the LSB you have is different from the one I bought on Amazon perhaps? Because the one I bought seemed sparse in terms of commentary, so I don’t think its a case of subjective opinion but rather you actually have a better, more comprehensive edition, or else something is messed up in the Ebook edition with the comments...

Perhaps we could figure out a way to compare our two editions to find out whats going on?
Speaking of the Lutheran Study Bible, not the Lutheran Service Book.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

What is the base translation? There are indeed two volumes named Lutheran Study Bible. Concordia published using the ESV. Augsburg Fortress did one with NRSV.

The Concordia book usually has more notes than Biblical text on a page.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What is the base translation? There are indeed two volumes named Lutheran Study Bible. Concordia published using the ESV. Augsburg Fortress did one with NRSV.

The Concordia book usually has more notes than Biblical text on a page.

Oh snap, I just realized the footnotes were obscured due to my Kindle settings. I have to say scribd and iBooks are somewhat better at preserving the appearance of documents. Fortunately I have the Concordia version, which means LCMS.

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Greetings fellow Lutherans! I have quite the collection of Bibles because I enjoy learning from a variety of commentary and translations. However my Lutheran Study Bible (ESV) is what I use daily for the bulk Bible reading, with any other version coming after.

I'm not sure how I came across "The Abide" Bible - there's a NKJV of it. I love things like journaling so my interest is piqued as this Bible has suggestions for journaling thoughts about the scriptures.

So I'm tempted to get a copy bc I love all the ways it offers how to spend time delving deep: journaling, praying scripture, contemplating, picturing it, etc. The fact that it uses NKJV and not some way off-base "translation" like the awful ones (like "The Message") makes me think might be fine, BUT -

The one thing holding me back is wondering if these methods of engaging with the Word are unsound, unbiblical, or "new agey" so to speak, which I want to avoid at all costs.

Does anyone have any opinions, input, thoughts about it? (it wouldn't replace my regular LSB/ESV Bible reading, just complement it). Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Never heard of it. I use the KJV for reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums