The Abide Bible - Biblically sound or new age nonsense to avoid?

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Greetings fellow Lutherans! I have quite the collection of Bibles because I enjoy learning from a variety of commentary and translations. However my Lutheran Study Bible (ESV) is what I use daily for the bulk Bible reading, with any other version coming after.

I'm not sure how I came across "The Abide" Bible - there's a NKJV of it. I love things like journaling so my interest is piqued as this Bible has suggestions for journaling thoughts about the scriptures.

So I'm tempted to get a copy bc I love all the ways it offers how to spend time delving deep: journaling, praying scripture, contemplating, picturing it, etc. The fact that it uses NKJV and not some way off-base "translation" like the awful ones (like "The Message") makes me think might be fine, BUT -

The one thing holding me back is wondering if these methods of engaging with the Word are unsound, unbiblical, or "new agey" so to speak, which I want to avoid at all costs.

Does anyone have any opinions, input, thoughts about it? (it wouldn't replace my regular LSB/ESV Bible reading, just complement it). Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It appears it came out of Taylor University here in Indiana. Taylor is a good institution and the only professional review I can seems to look at it in a positive light.

The Abide Bible — Bible Review Blog

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If it "speaks" to you then don't worry about it.

I don't always trust my own instincts, and I try to go to scripture always to confirm if what I'm feeling is just me talking in my head lol. Failing that, I turn to other Christians to get their POV to get ideas I might not have considered. So thank you for the encouragement! :)

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate your input. :)

No problem. From what I can see from the pictures of it, it's not a study or commentary Bible, but more of a Bible that lists different prayers through different scriptures. Since it's using actual translations like NKJV and the like, that's a good indication that it's on on the level. It's not like the "Queen James Bible" or another book that removes everything they don't like lol.

• Haha
Reactions: AnneFaye
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Greetings fellow Lutherans! I have quite the collection of Bibles because I enjoy learning from a variety of commentary and translations. However my Lutheran Study Bible (ESV) is what I use daily for the bulk Bible reading, with any other version coming after.

I'm not sure how I came across "The Abide" Bible - there's a NKJV of it. I love things like journaling so my interest is piqued as this Bible has suggestions for journaling thoughts about the scriptures.

So I'm tempted to get a copy bc I love all the ways it offers how to spend time delving deep: journaling, praying scripture, contemplating, picturing it, etc. The fact that it uses NKJV and not some way off-base "translation" like the awful ones (like "The Message") makes me think might be fine, BUT -

The one thing holding me back is wondering if these methods of engaging with the Word are unsound, unbiblical, or "new agey" so to speak, which I want to avoid at all costs.

Does anyone have any opinions, input, thoughts about it? (it wouldn't replace my regular LSB/ESV Bible reading, just complement it). Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)
It it helps, use it. When I was a new Christian, I had several different Bibles. I used to get caught up with cross references, checking out Strong's (It was a gift from someone I met briefly) and reading many books. Eventually I gained a working knowledge of at least the outline of the OT, especially Psalms and Isaiah. I found it much more beneficial to study the NT.

Since it is a decent version at heart, I can't see a problem. If it doesn't work for you, it will be clear soon enough.

I've learned a few things over the last 50 years. One is that the Bible is not an intellectual treatise to study as if it was philosophy. Neither is it an instruction manual that tells us how to live. It is more like a treasure map that leads us to Christ. He is the Living Word. In Him, not the Bible, are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. The Bible is the written word, Lord Jesus is the Living Word. It's good to know the Book of the Lord. How much better to know the Lord of the Book!

I prayed for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation (Ephesians 1:17) when I was a new believer. God will answer that prayer.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how I came across "The Abide" Bible - there's a NKJV of it.
I mainly use the New King James Version. But I have used the earlier King James, and this can feed into what I get while using the New King James Bible.

Also, at times, I use other versions. I usually prefer simple translation.

I would say get to know what your Bible says, and let it speak for itself . . . versus going quickly to commentary.

And I might check a Greek interlinear Bible . . . looking at the direct translated words. And I have a Strong's Concordance where I can check the Hebrew and Greek dictionaries to see how he represents words before they got translated.

And share with mature Christian people who are examples of what God's word means.

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No problem. From what I can see from the pictures of it, it's not a study or commentary Bible, but more of a Bible that lists different prayers through different scriptures. Since it's using actual translations like NKJV and the like, that's a good indication that it's on on the level. It's not like the "Queen James Bible" or another book that removes everything they don't like lol.
"Queen James Bible" - that cracked me up, love it lol :)

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It it helps, use it. When I was a new Christian, I had several different Bibles. I used to get caught up with cross references, checking out Strong's (It was a gift from someone I met briefly) and reading many books. Eventually I gained a working knowledge of at least the outline of the OT, especially Psalms and Isaiah. I found it much more beneficial to study the NT.

Since it is a decent version at heart, I can't see a problem. If it doesn't work for you, it will be clear soon enough.

I've learned a few things over the last 50 years. One is that the Bible is not an intellectual treatise to study as if it was philosophy. Neither is it an instruction manual that tells us how to live. It is more like a treasure map that leads us to Christ. He is the Living Word. In Him, not the Bible, are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. The Bible is the written word, Lord Jesus is the Living Word. It's good to know the Book of the Lord. How much better to know the Lord of the Book!

I prayed for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation (Ephesians 1:17) when I was a new believer. God will answer that prayer.
I love the "treasure map" analogy, what a beautiful way to describe it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice, much appreciated. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I love the "treasure map" analogy, what a beautiful way to describe it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and advice, much appreciated. :)
You are welcome. I got the analogy from my late friend and mentor, who was full of such wisdom.

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It'd be funnier if it didn't actually exist and was a joke :D

WAIT WHAT?! :openmouth:

I just Googled it, and I wish I could go back in time to that innocent place in my mind where I didn't know it was a real thing. :anguished:

We are truly living in an era where Poe's Law reigns. SMH.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We used the NKJV in Church for a time during the 80s; my copy from then is sitting right here beside me. We have since transitions in LSB to ESV; the ESV version I use now was a gift from my Pastor and is the Augustine Bible Catholic Edition which contains the Apocrypha. I wish it was a bit larger print.

upload_2021-8-10_18-27-20.png

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
WAIT WHAT?! :openmouth:

I just Googled it, and I wish I could go back in time to that innocent place in my mind where I didn't know it was a real thing. :anguished:

We are truly living in an era where Poe's Law reigns. SMH.

Indeed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
We used the NKJV in Church for a time during the 80s; my copy from then is sitting right here beside me. We have since transitions in LSB to ESV; the ESV version I use now was a gift from my Pastor and is the Augustine Bible Catholic Edition which contains the Apocrypha. I wish it was a bit larger print.

View attachment 305083

That looks very interesting. Out of curiosity do you read the Deuterocanonical Books in the Divine Office in the LCMS like the Anglicans?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

I have a Lutheran Study Bible (I bought it on Kindle), but I was slightly disappointed that the commentary was not as extensive as in my Orthodox Study Bible or my frustratingly dispensationalist premillenialist Calvinist King James Study Bible. I am wondering if I bought the right edition or if there could be more than one...

• Informative
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

A version of the Abide Bible using the NET translation is on Scribd, which I subscribe to, as it has become a fantastic value for money since they removed the limits on the number of ebooks you could read each month, and I just took a look at it, and it seems quite decent and not at all New Age. It does not appear to be specifically doctrinally Lutheran, so your LSB/ESV would still be of benefit I think.

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have a Lutheran Study Bible (I bought it on Kindle), but I was slightly disappointed that the commentary was not as extensive as in my Orthodox Study Bible or my frustratingly dispensationalist premillenialist Calvinist King James Study Bible. I am wondering if I bought the right edition or if there could be more than one...

I have the Orthodox Study Bible as well and I found the exact opposite, that the LSB had twice the commentary! Clearly it's not that I'm right/you're wrong or vice versa - just interesting how two people can interpret things so dramatically differently. :)

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0