The 7th Day the Sabbath of the LORD was made for a round world - spheroid - & IDL, or the Day Line

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath of the LORD was made for the man - Adam, and as such, was made for a round world:

An interesting read - https://web.archive.org/web/2017071...for-gc-15-leadership-on-the-date-line-sabbath

Point 1: The [Def. art.] Sabbath, being the [Def. art.] 7th Day, is "made" [Creation] for "the [Def. art.] man", which "man" is anthropos, and in Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, etc is "Adam" and thus all mankind in him:

"...So, when God "made" the sabbath, was it "made" for "the man" Adam [and thus all humanity in him]?

Mark 2:27 KJB - And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Mark 2:27 GNT TR - και ελεγεν αυτοις το σαββατον δια τον ανθρωπον εγενετο ουχ ο ανθρωπος δια το σαββατον
Literally, '... the sabbath [of the LORD [JEHOVAH], the 7th day, context] was made/created for the man ...'

The only "the [definite article] man" [Hebrew: 'ha adam'] [singular] that was around when things were "made" [thus at Genesis], is "Adam" [and all humanity in him]. This agrees with Genesis 2:7, which speaks of "the Adam":

Genesis 2:7 KJB - And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Genesis 2:7 HOT - וייצר יהוה אלהים את־האדם עפר מן־האדמה ויפח באפיו נשׁמת חיים ויהי האדם לנפשׁ חיה׃

Genesis 2:7 HOT Translit. - waYiytzer y'hwäh élohiym et-ädäm äfär min-häádämäh waYiPach B'aPäyw nish'mat chaYiym way'hiy ädäm l'nefesh chaYäh

Genesis 2:7 LXX* (so-called) - καὶ ἔπλασεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν ἄνθρωπον χοῦν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς καὶ ἐνεφύσησεν εἰς τὸ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ πνοὴν ζωῆς, καὶ ἐγένετο ἄνθρωπος εἰς ψυχὴν ζῶσαν.

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 2: God/Jesus "made" the Earth Round [Spherical]:

The Scriptures [KJB] rightly teach:

Isaiah 40:22 KJB - It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
The word [H2329; chug, khoog] for Circle, means sphere or round [three dimensionally], and is used in Job 22:14 for "circuit" [round]:

Job 22:14 KJB - Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not; and he walketh in the circuit of heaven.
Its root word is [H2328; chug, khoog] and means compassive [surrounding, around], a circle, thus three dimensionally, a sphere [since the earth is three dimensional physically, not two dimensional. Compare also to [H2287, chagag, khaw-gag] meaning to move around, in a circle, circle, as in the saints compassed the city round about.

Some ask, "Why wasn't the Hebrew word for 'ball' [H1754; in Isaiah 22:18, 29:3; from H1752; Psalms 84:10; see also H1732 [Syriac] Daniel 2:38, 4:1,12,21,35, 6:25, see also H1755; in the KJB 137 times, meaning a 'generation' or revolution of time/space/turning over of persons [new generation]] used, then if it was spherical?" The Hebrew word [H1754] has a depth/range of meaning, which can mean 'ball', like a child's toy [which the earth is not a child's toy] which is thrown about, but it also means to toss about, go in circles, gyrate, wander in a circular pattern, stir around, whirl about, etc.

We can also see the definition of the word "circuit", the round trip in a year, the heaven being referred to is the appearance in the first heaven [atmosphere]:

Psalms 19:6 KJB - His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

1 Samuel 7:16 KJB - And he went from year to year in circuit to Bethel, and Gilgal, and Mizpeh, and judged Israel in all those places.
See also the "Coriolis Effect" of the circuit of the winds on a spherical earth -

Ecclesiastes 1:6 KJB - The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
Hebrews 1:2, 11:3, also speak about the "worlds", plural, and the transliterated Koine Greek is 'Aeon' [which in chronological sense means time, age, eon, etc, but in the physical/spacial sense, means world, and a world is a sphere, orb].

Hebrews 1:2 KJB - Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 11:3 KJB - Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
This was already seen in the OT, as in 1 Samuel 2:8; Psalms 90:2 KJB, etc in the world for "world", meaning the earth, and by extension the globe.

1 Samuel 2:8 KJB - He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.

Psalms 90:2 KJB - Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
The moon is also round -

Isaiah 3:18 KJB - In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,
The Rain"bow" is also Round, Bended, Curved, which encircles the atmosphere of the earth, the outer shell when the sun shines upon the Rain.

Genesis 9:13 KJB - I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

Genesis 9:14 KJB - And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:

Genesis 9:16 KJB - And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

Ezekiel 1:28 KJB - As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

Revelation 4:3 KJB - And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

Revelation 10:1 KJB - And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:
Bended:

Psalms 144:5 KJB - Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
What about "corners", as in the "four corners/quarters" of the earth/land [Revelation 7:1; Isaiah 11:12; Ezekiel 7:2 KJB]? Corners can mean angle, intersection, but it also means quarters, divisions, North, South, East, West [Deuteronomy 22:12; 1 Chronicles 9:24; Jeremiah 49:36; Ezekiel 7:2; Revelation 20:8 KJB], and are also found on rounded objects, like a head, which is more spherical:

Leviticus 19:27 KJB - Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.
There are also natural spheres and circuits [worlds, Sun, moon, stars, atmospheres of air, the eye, blood flow, winds, etc] and spiritual spheres and circuits [of influence, the glory that permeates in all directions from God's presence, atmosphere of grace, all encompassing knowledge of God, the encompassing gospel], as even the things of nature, speaking to us about the Character and things of God:

1 Corinthians 15:46 KJB - Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 2 [continued]: God/Jesus "made" the Earth Round [Spherical]:

Sister Ellen G. White
, herself understood this Truth, using words like "sphere/s", "orb/s", "orbit/s", "full-orbed", "world/s", "arch", "globe/s", "encircle/s/d", "circling", "circuit", "planet/s", "round", "rotation", "revolve/s/d/ing/ution", "circulates", "around", "atmosphere", "center", "a drop", a "speck", which all may be seen and defined also from Webster's 1828 dictionary, which she used in conjunction with the Bible [KJB] texts already given, as she says,

"The Sabbath was made for a round world ..." - Letter 167, 1900;

"... the earth produce its bounties, and year by year continue its motion around the sun. An unseen hand guides the planets in their circuit of the heavens. ..." - Education (1903), page 99.1;

"The Lord has sent his people to different parts of the globe ..." - RH, August 15, 1899 par. 17;

"... to the glorious sun just risen in full-orbed ..." - RH, January 24, 1882 par. 1

"... He who garnished the heavens with the orbs of light ..." - RH, January 18, 1881 par. 22

"... God has qualified His people to enlighten the world. He has entrusted them with faculties by which they are to extend His work until it shall encircle the globe. In all parts of the earth they are to establish sanitariums, schools, publishing houses, and kindred facilities for the accomplishment of His work. ..." - 7 Testimonies (1902), page 51.1

"... In the matchless gift of His Son, God has encircled the whole world with an atmosphere of grace as real as the air which circulates around the globe. All who choose to breathe this life-giving atmosphere will live and grow up to the stature of men and women in Christ Jesus. ..." - Steps to Christ (1892/3), page 68.1

" ... All the treasures of the universe will be open to the study of God’s redeemed. Unfettered by mortality, they wing their tireless flight to worlds afar—worlds that thrilled with sorrow at the spectacle of human woe and rang with songs of gladness at the tidings of a ransomed soul. With unutterable delight the children of earth enter into the joy and the wisdom of unfallen beings. They share the treasures of knowledge and understanding gained through the ages upon ages in contemplation of God’s handiwork. With undimmed vision they gaze upon the glory of creation—suns and stars and systems, all in their appointed order circling the throne of Deity. Upon all things, from the least to the greatest, the Creator’s name is written, and in all are the riches of His power displayed. ..." - The Great Controversy (1888/1911), pages 677-678

etc. further citations upon request, for she was shown the order in the Heavens, and other worlds, with other unfallen beings on them [as scripture [KJB] shows, citations upon request], in the heights of the heavens.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 3: The 'day' [24 hrs] begins with "evening", followed by "morning", unto the next "evening":

Scripture [KJB] delineates when the Day [time] ends and when the Night [time] begins, and what constitutes a standard [whole] Day [Genesis 1:5,8,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,23,31, 15:12,17; Exodus 16:8, 17:12; Deuteronomy 16:4,6,7; Joshua 10:26,27; Judges 19:9,25; 1 Kings 22:35,36; 2 Chronicles 18:34; Job 38:12; Psalms 104:19,20,21,22,23; Daniel 6:14,18,19, 8:26; Malachi 4:2; Mark 1:32,78; Luke 1:79; John 1:1-18, 3:19,20,21, 8:12, 11:9,10, 12:46; 2 Corinthians 4:4,5,6; 1 John 1:5, etc. KJB].

We can know that the “days” of Genesis 1 & 2 are “natural” days of a seven day week, as any man may experience, by the language given there in, definite article “the”, followed by the number “first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh”, etc. and each with an equally divided “evening and morning”, thus with a “dark” and “light” part, for the ways of the LORD are equal, and evenly balanced [Ezekiel 18:25,29, 33:20; Leviticus 19:35,36; Ezekiel 45:10; Proverbs 11:1, 16:11 KJB].

Genesis 1:15 KJB - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

John 11:9 KJB - Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 4: "Evening" truly begins when the "sun" sets:

Genesis 28:11 KJB - And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.

Mark 1:32 KJB - And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 5: "Morning" is a "sun" rise:

Judges 9:33 KJB - And it shall be, that in the morning, as soon as the sun is up, thou shalt rise early, and set upon the city: and, behold, when he and the people that is with him come out against thee, then mayest thou do to them as thou shalt find occasion.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 6: God kept the First Sabbath, which He Made for the man:

Genesis 2:1 KJB - Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Genesis 2:2 KJB - And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Genesis 2:3 KJB - And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:8 KJB - Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Exodus 20:9 KJB - Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

Exodus 20:10 KJB - But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:

Exodus 20:11 KJB - For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Leviticus 23:3 KJB - Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Deuteronomy 5:12 KJB - Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

Deuteronomy 5:13 KJB - Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:

Deuteronomy 5:14 KJB - But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Deuteronomy 5:15 KJB - And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and [that] the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Hebrews 4:4 KJB - For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Hebrews 4:5 KJB - And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Hebrews 4:6 KJB - Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Hebrews 4:7 KJB - Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Hebrews 4:8 KJB - For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

Hebrews 4:9 KJB - There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Hebrews 4:10 KJB - For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.

Hebrews 4:11 KJB - Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

See also - Hebrews 3-4 [KJB], the 7th Day the Sabbath of the LORD JEHOVAH - "my rest" "remaineth" to My people.

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 7: Mankind was to multiply and "fill the earth":

Genesis 1:27 KJB - So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 1:20 KJB - And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl [that] may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Genesis 1:22 KJB - And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Genesis 1:28 KJB - And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Genesis 8:17 KJB - Bring forth with thee every living thing that [is] with thee, of all flesh, [both] of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.

Genesis 9:1 KJB - And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

Genesis 9:7 KJB - And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

Genesis 17:6 KJB - And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.

Genesis 17:20 KJB - And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

Genesis 26:22 KJB - And he removed from thence, and digged another well; and for that they strove not: and he called the name of it Rehoboth; and he said, For now the LORD hath made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land.

Genesis 28:3 KJB - And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;

Genesis 35:11 KJB - And God said unto him, I [am] God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;

Genesis 41:52 KJB - And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.

Genesis 48:4 KJB - And said unto me, Behold, I will make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, and I will make of thee a multitude of people; and will give this land to thy seed after thee [for] an everlasting possession.

Genesis 49:22 KJB - Joseph [is] a fruitful bough, [even] a fruitful bough by a well; [whose] branches run over the wall:

Exodus 1:7 KJB - And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.

Leviticus 26:9 KJB - For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, and establish my covenant with you.

Psalms 128:3 KJB - Thy wife [shall be] as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.

Jeremiah 23:3 KJB - And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.

Ezekiel 19:10 KJB - Thy mother [is] like a vine in thy blood, planted by the waters: she was fruitful and full of branches by reason of many waters.

Hosea 13:15 KJB - Though he be fruitful among [his] brethren, an east wind shall come, the wind of the LORD shall come up from the wilderness, and his spring shall become dry, and his fountain shall be dried up: he shall spoil the treasure of all pleasant vessels.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 8: Mankind was eventually "scatter[ed]" over the face of the earth after the Tower of Babel and the Global Flood of Noah:

Genesis 11:8 KJB - So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

Genesis 11:9 KJB - Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Point 9: The 7th Day the Sabbath of the LORD thy God, has not been lost in history, for God has preserved it, even unto a "thousand generations" [Deuteronomy 7:9; 1 Chronicles 16:15; Psalms 105:8 KJB], and Jesus Himself kept the right day in the right manner [John 15:10 KJB], for He sinned not [2 Corinthians 5:21 KJB, etc], and sin is the transgression of the Law [1 John 3:4 KJB], and many others after Him, even throughout history [as some historical sources have already been cited, I will leave it at those for now]:

Luke 23:56 KJB - And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Acts 13:14 KJB - But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.

Acts 13:27 KJB - For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.

Acts 13:42 KJB - And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Acts 13:44 KJB - And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 15:21 KJB - For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Acts 16:13 KJB - And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

Acts 17:2 KJB - And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Acts 18:4 KJB - And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Revelation 1:10 KJB - I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,​

etc, etc.

Genesis 2:1-3;

Exodus 20:8-11, 31:17;

Deuteronomy
5:12-15; etc, etc. ...

Matthew 12:1,2,5,8,10,11,12, 24:20, 28:1;

Mark 1:21, 2:23,24,27,28, 3:2,4, 6:2, 7:6-9, 15:42, 16:1;

Luke 4:16,31, 6:1,2,5,6,7,9, 13:10,14,15,16, 14:1,3,5, 23:54,56;

John 5:9,10,16,18, 7:22,23, 9:14,16, 19:31;

Acts 1:2, 4:24, 13:14,27,42,44, 14:25, 15:21, 16:13, 17:2, 18:4;

Hebrews 3:11,18, 4:1,3,4,5,8,9,10,11;

Revelation 1:10, 10:6, 14:7.

See also:

Matthew 28:1(a) - oye de sabbatwn
Matthew 28:1(b) - eiV mian sabbatwn
Mark 16:2 - kai lian prwi ths mias sabbatwn
Mark 16:9 - anastas de prwi prwth sabbatou
Luke 24:1 - th de mia twn sabbatwn
John 20:1 - th de mia twn sabbatwn
John 20:19 - th mia twn sabbatwn
Acts 20:7 - en de th mia twn sabbatwn
1 Corinthians 16:2 - kata mian sabbatwn

See also:

John 12:1 [six days before Passover, was Sabbath at Lazarus' house]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Therefore, the 7th Day the Sabbath of the LORD thy God has come down to all of us even after all these years.

Since the world/earth is round, the days come and go as the "sun" 'rises' or 'sets', and comes to each one of us where we are upon the earth, since we are all now scattered over its whole surface. "The Sabbath was made for [the] man", and thus so made to be a blessing to the individuals which keep it unto God, yet it will come relative to the individual persons in the respective locations upon the spheroid earth. For instance, if [1] person is in United States, and [2] person is in India, the Sabbath comes to each person in their respective positions, because the earth is round, and thus the "day" begins for one of the persons earlier than that of the other.

We can know from the scattering of the dispora of the Jews, and also of the Christians from Jerusalem, that the 7th Day Sabbath continued to be kept in those countries wherein they came unto according to the standard weeks time [7 days], and thus spread from Jerusalem westward [towards England, etc] and eastward [towards China, etc].

The 7th Day [the Sabbath of the LORD thy God] that comes to Jerusalem is still the same as then.

The Sunday [first [day] of the week] that comes to Rome is the same as it was then.

The two days are still next to each other, even as they are in the United States, wherein many Christians have come to.

We, as Seventh-day Adventists, also have in the Providence of God, a Messenger of the LORD, sister Ellen G White, which actually gives further evidence by objct lesson, simply, for when she travelled the world, especially from California to the far west [which eventually becomes closer east from California, hence a round earth, and thus relative perspective of the person] unto the Samoan Islands and then onto Australia, etc, she herself had to cross the day line [date line, international date line]. When she did cross the line, here is what happened, she kept to the obvious time, having crossed the recognized day line.

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Review and Herald - http://text.egwwritings.org/publicat...ebruary&day=16

"... Between Samoa and Auckland we crossed the day-line, and for the first time in our lives we had a week of six days. Tuesday, December 1, was dropped from our reckoning, and we passed from Monday to Wednesday.

At daylight of December 3 the coast of New Zealand was in sight, and soon after noon our boat reached the wharf at Auckland. ..."​

Ellen G. White: Volume 4—The Australian Years: 1891-1900, By Arthur L. White, Page 20 - http://text.egwwritings.org/publicat...oa&resultId=16

"... [Page 20-21] Traveling west and south to New Zealand, they crossed the international date line. For the first time in her life Ellen White experienced a six-day week, for Tuesday, December 1, was dropped from the reckoning. They reached Auckland, New Zealand, on Thursday morning, December 3. ..."​

Ellen G. White: Volume 5—The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905, By Arthur L. White, Page 16 - http://text.egwwritings.org/publicat...ine&resultId=5

"[Page 18] Monday morning the ship headed north and east, passing between the Tongan Islands en route to Samoa. This would be a long week, for they would cross the dateline just before reaching Samoa, which would give them two Thursdays. ...

... [Page 20] The Stop in Samoa

The autograph album paged for Sabbath, September 8, shows the Moana lying placidly in the harbor at Apia, largest of the Samoan islands. The artist’s prediction came close to the fact. The ship arrived at 7:00 A.M. on Friday morning. It would have been Sabbath morning if they had not just crossed the dateline, thus adding an extra day."​

Thus we have a living example and witness of God of what Seventh-day Adventists so ought to do. It does not matter if the person moves across the day line, or if the day line is suddenly 'jump roped' to the other side of a person/s. The principle is the same. There is no difference should a single person, or group of people take a plane or boat and cross the line from Samoa to Australia, or vice-versa. It makes no difference if suddenly the line has been shifted, for the days are not removed, only the persons relative position to the rest of the world.

Whether man-moved or God-moved, makes no difference. for God, could, if He so desired, cause such an earthquake and moving of continent to shift all of the Samoan Island 1500 miles to east or west of their current position. What would have to happen in such a case? The new location would necessitate a shift, due to their new relative position. Thus reconstituted for our use:

"... confusion in regard to the day line. Now, my dear sister, this talk about the day line is only [Page 317-318] a something that Satan has devised as a snare. He seeks to bewitch the senses ..."

"... The seventh-day Sabbath is in no uncertainty. ..."

"... God made his Sabbath for a round world; and when the seventh day comes to us in that round world, controlled by the sun that rules the day, it is the time in all countries and lands to observe the Sabbath. ..."

"... We cannot conceive that God will leave His people to be confronted with an error for which there is not a simple solution, suitable for the defence and protection of every believing soul. ..."

"... There is a place upon the globe, recognised by scientists, at which the day begins, and from which it travels around the earth from east to west, and in twenty-four hours finishes at the same place. That circuit constitutes a day consisting of darkness and light. “And the evening and the morning was the first day.” Gen. 1 : 6. The point at which the day commences and ends is marked by an imaginary line drawn from pole to pole at the one hundred and eightieth meridian, running almost through the centre of the Pacific Ocean. To the left of this line, on the eastern shores of Asia and Australia, the people are a day ahead of the people on the right side of the line, on the western shores of the Americas. That is, the Sabbath comes to the people in Melbourne and on the east coast of Australia about eighteen hours before it reaches the people in San Francisco, on the west coast of America. The people inhabiting these two cities live, roughly speaking, about 2,500 miles from the line, east and west. They really face each other across the line at a distance of about 5,000 miles. It will be seen, then, that when any one crosses this line on shipboard from America to Asia, west to east, he will find himself a day behind the people in Asia. That is, his Saturday will be their Sunday. On the other hand, if an individual crosses the line from east to west, from Asia to America he will find himself a day ahead. His Sunday will be their Saturday. This brings confusion, which is obviated by the simple method of observing a natural law, by changing the day at the crossing of the one hundred and eightieth meridian, or day-line. ..."

"... In this last great closing’ movement the issue is clear-cut—the beast and his image or the commandments of God. All that needs to be decided in any locality is, Which day does Rome honour as a sabbath? The answer is invariably, “Sunday.” Then, in order to embrace the third angel’s message, loyalty to God calls upon us to keep the day which precedes the Roman festival, that is, Saturday. The question of exactness as to the place of the beginning and ending of the first day is a totally distinct question which has never been raised by divine authority nor introduced by Scripture. The present condition of things concerning the days of the week is accepted and recognised by all properly constituted authorities, and under this condition of affairs the issue can be clearly ascertained and decided, which is, God or Rome?” “first day or seventh day?” Keep the day immediately preceding that one which Rome honours, and you are safe in this matter. ..."

"... at the point where the streams of emigration would meet, we would naturally conclude would be the natural and proper place for the day-line. And that is where Providence, nature, emigration, and common-sense have fixed it, in the broad waters of the Pacific. ..."​

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Selected Messages Book 3, Page 317 - Selected Messages Book 3, Page 317 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“[Page 317] Chapter 40—The Question of the Date Line

The Sabbath Made for a Round World

God rested on the seventh day, and set it apart for man to observe in honor of his creation of the heavens and the earth in six literal days. He blessed and sanctified and made holy the day of rest. When men are so careful to search and dig to see in regard to the precise period of time, we are to say, God made his Sabbath for a round world; and when the seventh day comes to us in that round world, controlled by the sun that rules the day, it is the time in all countries and lands to observe the Sabbath. In the countries where there is no sunset for months, and again no sunrise for months, the period of time will be calculated by records kept....

The Lord accepts all the obedience of every creature he has made, according to the circumstances of time in the sun-rising and sun-setting world.... The Sabbath was made for a round world, and therefore obedience is required of the people that are in perfect consistency with the Lord’s created world.—Letter 167, 1900.

The Date Line Problem

Sister T has been speaking of you to me. She says that you are in some confusion in regard to the day line. Now, my dear sister, this talk about the day line is only [Page 317-318] a something that Satan has devised as a snare. He seeks to bewitch the senses, as he does in saying, “Lo, here is Christ, or there.” There will be every fiction and devising of Satan to lead persons astray, but the word is, “Believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not” (Matthew 24:23-26).

Seventh-day Sabbath Left in No Uncertainty—We have the positive word of God in regard to the Sabbath [Exodus 31:12-18 quoted].

Is it possible that so much importance can be clustered about those who observe the Sabbath, and yet no one can tell when the Sabbath comes? Then where is the people who bear the badge or sign of God? What is the sign? The seventh-day Sabbath, which the Lord blessed and sanctified, and pronounced holy, with great penalties for its violation.

The seventh-day Sabbath is in no uncertainty. It is God’s memorial of his work of creation. It is set up as a heaven-given memorial, to be observed as a sign of obedience. God wrote the whole law with his finger on two tables of stone....

Now, my sister, ... I write ... to tell you that we are not to give the least credence to the day line theory. It is a snare of Satan brought in by his own agents to confuse minds. You see how utterly impossible for this thing to be, that the world is all right observing Sunday, and God’s remnant people are all wrong. This theory of the day line would make all our history for the past fifty-five years a complete fallacy. But we know where we stand....

To Stand Fast by Our Colors—My sister, let not your faith fail. We are to stand fast by our colors, the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. All those who hold the beginning of their confidence firm unto the [Page 318-319] end will keep the seventh-day Sabbath, which comes to us as marked by the sun. The fallacy of the day line is a trap of Satan to discourage. I know what I am speaking about. Have faith in God. Shine where you are, as a living stone in God’s building.

The children of God will be triumphant. They will come off conquerors and more than conquerors over all the opposing, persecuting elements. Fear not. By the power of Bible truth and love exemplified in the cross, and set home by the Holy Spirit, we shall have the victory. The whole battle before us hinges upon the observance of the true Sabbath of Jehovah....

I can write no more now, but I say, Give no ear to heresy. Cling to a plain “Thus saith the Lord.” he will comfort and bless you, and will give you joy in your heart. Praise the Lord that we have clear light, and a plain, distinct message to bear.—Letter 118, 1900.” [Pages 317-319] ..."

Side note to all readers, the "day line theory" was a theological construct that was concocted by heretical persons, and not to be confused with the actual Day Line or aka the International Date Line as a reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Manuscript Releases Volume Two [Nos. 97-161], Page 187 - Manuscript Releases, vol. 2 [Nos. 97-161], Page 187 -- Ellen G. White Writings

[Page 187] Do not allow your mind to wander from the main points of the truth for this time, to grasp unimportant theories and problems. If anyone gives you unessential problems to solve, tell him that God has placed in your hands a work to be done. Tell him that you are doing a great work and cannot come down to try to solve the problem of the day line. You have the message for this time—the third angel’s message—to give to the people. This is your work. Hold the beginning of your confidence firm unto the end. The truth is to be repeated, line upon line, precept upon precept.—Letter 11, 1901, pp. 6, 7. (To M. G. Kellogg, January 21, 1901.) [Page 187]

Manuscript Releases Volume Three [Nos. 162-209], Page 253 - Manuscript Releases, vol. 3 [Nos. 162-209], Page 253 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“[Page 253] MR No. 192—Ellen G. White Statements Bearing on the Question of the Day Line; Additional Misc. Materials

God rested on the seventh day, and set it apart for man to observe in honor of His creation of the heavens and the earth in six literal days. He blessed and sanctified and made holy the day of rest. When men are so careful to search and dig to see in regard to the precise period of time, we are to say, God made His Sabbath for a round world; and when the seventh day comes to us in that round world, controlled by the sun that rules the day, it is the time in all countries and lands to observe the Sabbath. In the countries where there is no sunset for months, and again no sunrise for months, the period of time will be calculated by records kept....

The Lord accepts all the obedience of every creature He has made, according to the circumstances of time in the sun-rising and sun-setting world.... The Sabbath was made for a round world, and therefore obedience is required of the people that are in perfect consistency with the Lord’s created world.—Letter 167, 1900, pp. 1-3. (To Brother Irwin, March 23, 1900.)

Sister Harlow has been speaking of you to me. She says that you are in some confusion in regard to the day line. Now, my dear sister, this talk about the day line is only a something that Satan has devised as a snare. He seeks to bewitch the senses, as he does in saying, “Lo, here is Christ,” or “there is Christ.” There will be every fiction and devising of Satan to lead [Page 253-254] persons astray, but the word is, “Believe it not. For there shall arise false christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers, believe it not.” Matthew 24:23-26.

We have the positive word of God in regard to the Sabbath. “And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily, my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: Every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed. And He gave unto Moses, when He had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.” Exodus 31:12-18.

Is it possible that so much importance can be clustered about those who observe the Sabbath, and yet no one can tell when the Sabbath comes? Then where is the people who bear the badge or the sign of God? What is the sign? - [Page 254-255] The Seventh-day Sabbath, which the Lord blessed and sanctified, and pronounced holy, with great penalties for its violation.

The Seventh-day Sabbath is in no uncertainty. It is God’s memorial of His work of Creation. It is set up as a Heaven-given memorial, to be observed as a sign of obedience. God wrote the whole law with His finger on two tables of stone....

Now, my sister, although I am at present sick, I write sitting up in bed to tell you that we are not to give the least credence to the day-line theory. It is a snare of Satan brought in by his own agents to confuse minds. You see how utterly impossible for this thing to be, that the world is all right observing Sunday, and God’s remnant people are all wrong. This theory of the day line would make all our history for the past fifty-five years a complete fallacy. But we know where we stand....

My sister, let not your faith fail. We are to stand fast by our colors, the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. All those who hold the beginning of their confidence firm unto the end will keep the Seventh-day Sabbath, which comes to us as marked by the sun. The fallacy of the day line is a trap of Satan to discourage. I know what I am speaking about. Have faith in God. Shine where you are, as a living stone in God’s building.

The children of God will be triumphant. They will come off conquerors and more than conquerors over all the opposing, persecuting elements. Fear not. By the power of Bible truth and love exemplified in the cross, and set home by the Holy Spirit, we shall have the victory. The whole battle before us hinges upon the observance of the true Sabbath of Jehovah.... [Page 255-256] I can write no more now, but I say, Give no ear to heresy. Cling to a plain “Thus saith the Lord.” He will comfort and bless you, and will give you joy in your heart. Praise the Lord that we have clear light, and a plain, distinct message to bear.—Letter 118, 1900, pp. 1, 2, 5-7. (To Sister Hall, August 2, 1900.)” [Pages 253-256] ..."

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Manuscript Releases Volume Three [Nos. 162-209], Page 317 - Manuscript Releases, vol. 3 [Nos. 162-209], Page 317 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“[Page 317] Day Line, Not to Try to Solve—Do not allow your mind to wander from the main points of the truth for this time, to grasp unimportant theories and [Page 317-318] problems. If any one gives you unessential problems to solve, tell him that God has placed in your hands a work to be done. Tell him that you are doing a great work, and cannot come down to try to solve the problem of the day line. You have the message for this time—the third angel’s message—to give to the people. This is your work. Hold the beginning of your confidence firm unto the end. The truth is to be repeated, line upon line, precept upon precept.—Letter 11, 1901.” [Pages 317-318]

Manuscript Releases Volume Ten [Nos. 771-850], Page 342 - Manuscript Releases, vol. 10 [Nos. 771-850], Page 342 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“[Page 342] MR No. 839—Keeping the Sabbath on a Round World

We took Brother and Sister Haskell with our team to the station at Dora Creek. On the way Brother Haskell read an article on the day line, written to meet the fallacies that are coming in to make everything uncertain in regard to when the seventh day comes.

It would be very strange if the Lord God of heaven should set apart a day for people to observe, and bless and sanctify that day, and give it to man and enjoin upon man that it be kept holy unto the Lord as a memorial that He made the world in six days and rested upon the seventh day and blessed the Sabbath day, and yet that day become so uncertain the world cannot tell definitely when the seventh day comes to us.

Here is a day given, and the Lord declares it shall be observe throughout your generations “for a perpetual covenant” (Exodus 31:16), as a sign of obedience and loyalty to God, and yet it is so obscured no one can tell when it comes! Oh, what fallacies men will resort to in order to carry out false theories. The Lord pronounced His blessing upon all who keep holy the Sabbath day. His commandments are given to a thousand generations, and when that period is ended the redeemed host shall be in the city of God and observed the Sabbath there, and especially come up to worship God from Sabbath to Sabbath and from one new moon to another. (Isaiah 66:23.)—Manuscript 173, 1897, 4, 5. (Diary, June, 1897.)

White Estate
Washington, D. C.,
March 25, 1981.” [Page 342]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Review and Herald - The Review and Herald -- Ellen G. White Writings

“February 16, 1892
On the Way to Australia
At Samoa and Auckland
By Mrs. E. G. White

Friday, November 27, we reached the Samoan Islands, after a pleasant voyage of seven days from Honolulu. We had expected extremely hot weather in passing through the tropics, but in this we were happily disappointed. Only a few days were uncomfortably warm. On Tuesday, November 24, when we crossed the equator, the air was so cool that we found our wraps needful as we sat on deck.

Our steamer cast anchor off Apia, which is situated on the island of Upolo, and is the principal town of the Samoan group. The harbor or bay of Apia is a beautiful expanse of water, shut in by coral reefs, over which the surf is constantly breaking. The island is clothed in the richest and most luxuriant verdure. The mountains rise almost from the water’s edge; the cocoa-palms grow all along the shore and far up the mountain sides, which are clothed in green to the very summits. The town of Apia consists of two rows of small white buildings on either side of a narrow street that winds along the shore.

Through an opening in the reef that incloses the harbor, vessels pass in and out; another reef lying nearer the shore prevents them from reaching the dock, but passengers are taken on shore in boats. Before us is a reminder of the terrible storms that sometimes visit this lovely spot. On the reef between us and the shore lies the hull of a German vessel which was wrecked in the hurricane of March, 1889, when seven men-of-war and fifteen merchant vessels were either wholly destroyed or stranded on the shore.

Before our steamer comes to anchor, we see boats and the canoes of the natives coming out to meet us, and soon we are surrounded with them in every direction. The natives are physically well developed, and are said to have the finest physique of any of the South Sea peoples. They are of a light brown color. Most of them are destitute of clothing except a cloth or mat about the loins; many are elaborately tattooed. Some wear broad-brimmed straw hats, some, turbans, while many have the hair dressed with lime, giving them the appearance of wearing a white cap. The canoes were laden with articles for sale,—pine-apples, bananas, oranges of a bright green color, but of excellent flavor, mangoes, limes, coconuts, and other tropical fruits, shells and coral, mats and cloth, together with baskets and fans very neatly woven from the native grasses.

Most of our party went ashore, and had an opportunity of seeing the natives in their homes. The huts are made by spreading over a wooden framework a covering of palm-leaves and native grasses. For the floor, the ground is covered with gravel or pounded coral, on which is spread a coarse matting. Mats form the beds at night, and the table and seats by day; large leaves and coconut shells serve as dishes.

Our party was greeted cordially by the natives, who brought them flowers, and seemed anxious to show their feelings of kindness. At Apia, they welcome the visits of Americans, seeming to feel that our country has proved a friend to them.

At one o’clock P. M. the anchor was lifted, and soon our boat was again on its way over the broad Pacific.

November 26, the day before we reached Samoa, was my birthday. Another year of my life had passed into eternity, and my record for a new year was begun. As I contemplate the past year, I am filled with gratitude to God for his preserving care and loving-kindness. At times I have been afflicted in body and depressed in spirits, but the Lord has been my Redeemer, my Restorer. Many have been the rich blessings imparted to me. In the time of my greatest need, I have been enabled to hold fast my confidence in my heavenly Father. The bright beams of the righteousness of Christ have been shining into my heart and mind, the powers of darkness are restrained; for Jesus our advocate lives to make intercession for us. He is able to save us, soul, body, and spirit, and to make us vessels unto honor, meet for the Master’s use. We are living in a perilous time, when all our powers must be consecrated to God, to do his will and keep his way, irrespective of circumstances. We are to follow Christ in his humiliation, his self-denial, his suffering.

The Lord requires his people to be holy in all manner of living. His command is: “Be ye holy; for I am holy.” My heart is hungering and thirsting after righteousness. Through faith in Christ I am made a partaker of his heavenly benefits. The exalted privileges, the great grace, revealed through Christ are for all who will believe and obey the words of God. There are given to us exceeding great and precious promises, that by these we might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. I receive and enjoy these promises, full of divine mercy and truth. It is given me to know for myself individually that the blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth me from all unrighteousness.

We owe everything to Jesus, and renewedly I consecrate myself to his service, to work for him in a strange land, to lift him up before the people, to proclaim his matchless love. My prayer ascends day and night for the presence of Jesus to go before us. While lying in my state-room, the language of my heart has been, “My Redeemer, I beseech thee to engage for me in every conflict. I know in whom I have believed, and thy grace alone is my trust.” It is my prayer that I may the coming year be a co-worker with Jesus in saving my own soul, which he has bought with his precious blood, and that every day I may learn his meekness and lowliness, that he can use the frail, unworthy agent to bring souls out of darkness into light.

I look unto Jesus; for his holy life is a faithful example. I must be daily molded as the clay in the hands of the potter. I must educate my soul, that my confidence in God may be unlimited. Jesus said: “I can of mine own self do nothing.” How much more is this true of us.

The hope that I can be true or useful is through faith in the atonement made for me. O, that this sixty-fifth year of my life may be one of progress and perfection in the work which the Master has given me to do! I want clearer perceptions of truth daily, that I may act in harmony with its holy principles. I have no happiness aside from doing the will of Christ and proclaiming to others his grace and truth.

Between Samoa and Auckland we crossed the day-line, and for the first time in our lives we had a week of six days. Tuesday, December 1, was dropped from our reckoning, and we passed from Monday to Wednesday.

At daylight of December 3 the coast of New Zealand was in sight, and soon after noon our boat reached the wharf at Auckland. Here is a beautiful harbor, and the town, on the hills above, presents a fine appearance. We had hoped to meet Elder Gates of the “Pitcairn” here, but in this we were disappointed. He had come here a month before, expecting to meet us on the arrival of the “Monowa.” As we did not come, he decided to make a trip to Norfolk Island, and return before our arrival. For some reason he failed to meet us. As our boat touched the wharf, a number of brethren stepped on board, and introduced themselves to us; we had a glad meeting. On landing we rode to the house of brother Edward Hare. Here we found a pleasant home, and were refreshed with delicious strawberries, oranges, bananas, and more substantial viands. Then we had a very enjoyable ride into the country. The fresh, sweet air, filled with the fragrance of wild roses, sweet-brier, and new-mown hay, reminded us of our northern summer; the green hedges separating the fields, make one think of England, while there is much in the landscape to resemble California. The vegetation and the general appearance of the country is that of the temperate zone rather than the tropics.

In the evening we met with the church at their house of worship, and I spoke to them in regard to the necessity of receiving Christ as their personal Saviour. When we thus accept him, the beauty of truth will be revealed through us; for in our words and our life it will be presented as it is in Jesus. There will be no strife to see who shall be greatest, but we shall individually seek to represent Christ, and thus let our light shine to the world. If the words of Jesus dwell in us, we shall represent his love, in kindness, in humility, in goodness, coming in close union with the people of God, and working as missionaries of Jesus wherever we have opportunity. Instead of seeking to glorify ourselves, we shall exalt the name that is above every name, Jesus, the center of all attraction.

All who believe the truth should remember that they are to bear the credentials of Christ to the world, in their firm unity, their Christian courtesy and love to one another. Wherever he may be, every follower of Jesus can give to the world a practical illustration of the purity and power of the truth. We should ever bear in mind that the world will criticise us in the conduct of our temporal affairs. Do we work as Christians? Do we buy and sell as Christians? That which we may speak in the church is not of half as much consequence as the influence we exert in our daily business life. We are constantly making either favorable or unfavorable impressions to the truth. We should manifest kindness, forbearance, and generosity, not to our brethren merely, but to all who do not love the truth.

No man can have a sound, healthful experience unless he shall practice the instruction that Christ has given through the apostle Peter: “Giving all diligence, add to your faith, virtue; and to virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance; and to temperance, patience; and to patience, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, charity.” “For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

To be converted daily is to renew the soul’s life by receiving vital power from Christ, as the branch receives nourishment from the vine. The growth of every Christian is from within, not from without. It is only as the Spirit of Christ dwells in the heart by faith that we can grow in grace and the knowledge of Christ. Only through the grace daily drawn from Jesus can the heart be kept. There can be no safety in extolling self; we must hide self in Jesus. Christ abiding within, is the life of the soul. And we are to receive Christ through his word. It is the truth that sanctifies the soul. We should study the Scriptures, even upon our knees, with earnestness and sincerity. The love of Jesus in the heart will create a love for the searching of his word.

The work of every child of God is to impart the knowledge of Christ to those who have it not. We must plant the seeds of truth wherever we can. The words of eternal life, sown in many hearts, will bring forth fruit unto righteousness. The heavenly intelligencies are waiting for God’s human agencies to consecrate themselves fully to him, that he may use them as channels of light. We need to realize our responsibility, to co-operate with the heavenly agencies. We belong to God; he has purchased us with the blood of his only begotten Son; we are to represent to the world what Christ is to us.”

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ellen G. White: Volume 4—The Australian Years: 1891-1900, By Arthur L. White, Page 20 - Ellen G. White: The Australian Years: 1891-1900 (vol. 4), Page 20 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“[Page 20] The Voyage to Samoa and Australia

As they left Honolulu, Elder and Mrs. Starr joined the traveling group. During the seven days to Samoa they crossed the equator. Somewhat to Ellen White’s surprise, she found the weather not uncomfortably hot. On Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, she celebrated her sixty-fourth birthday. The sea was calm, and in her comfortable rocking chair on deck she had opportunity to contemplate. Thoughts of God’s preserving care and lovingkindness filled her mind, and she wrote:

At times I have been afflicted in body and depressed in spirits, but the Lord has been my Redeemer, my Restorer. Many have been the rich blessings imparted to me. In the time of my greatest need, I have been enabled to hold fast my confidence in my heavenly Father. The bright beams of the righteousness of Christ have been shining into my heart and mind, the powers of darkness are restrained; for Jesus our Advocate lives to make intercession for us.—The Review and Herald, February 16, 1892.

Reaching Samoa Friday morning, the ship cast anchor offshore from Apia, its principal city. Samoans hastened out to the side of the vessel in their boats and canoes, laden with articles for sale. There was an abundance of fruit—pineapples, bananas, oranges, mangoes, limes, coconuts, and some fruits Ellen White had never heard of. They also had shells and coral, mats, baskets, and fans woven from native grasses. Ellen White chose to remain on the ship while her traveling companions went ashore for the brief stay. [Page 20-21] Traveling west and south to New Zealand, they crossed the international date line. For the first time in her life Ellen White experienced a six-day week, for Tuesday, December 1, was dropped from the reckoning. They reached Auckland, New Zealand, on Thursday morning, December 3. Edward Hare and others took them to his home for lunch. After sightseeing in the afternoon, they met with a sizable congregation in the Seventh-day Adventist house of worship, one of the very few in the South Pacific.

Approaching Australia on Monday, the seventh, she brought her shipboard writing to a close. She noted that she had come short of meeting the goal she had set for herself in writing:

I have not been able to do much writing on this voyage. I have written about one hundred and fifty pages, but I expected to write as much as three hundred pages. I simply had to keep still, and be content not to do much of anything. I have not been able to walk on deck without an assistant, but my limbs [Note: Both ankles, broken in an accident on a camping trip in the rocky mountains, were improperly set, leaving her with a permanent weakness.] are now growing stronger. I was almost completely exhausted in mind and body when I came on board the vessel.—Letter 32a, 1891.

Arrival at Sydney, Australia

At seven o’clock Tuesday morning the steamer entered Sydney harbor. The sea had rolled heavily in the night, and the passengers had kept close to their berths. But with the morning the whole party was on deck to see this harbor, reputed to be one of the most beautiful in the world. As they pulled near the wharf they could see a group of friends waiting to welcome them. Ellen White recognized A. G. Daniells and his wife, Mary, although it had been some years since they were together in Texas. With the others she was unacquainted. Before the ship touched the wharf, they were shouting back and forth, and when the gangplank was down, they were soon shaking hands.

They took breakfast at the Daniells home, and while they were eating, others came in. Soon there was a season of worship, with praise to God for the safe passage across the broad Pacific. [Page 21-22]

Chapter 2—(1891-1892) Ellen White Begins Work in Melbourne

On Friday evening, and again on Sabbath morning, Ellen White spoke in a hall in Sydney. In describing the experience, she reported that the people said:

They had never before heard words that gave them such hope and courage in regard to justification by faith and the righteousness of Christ. They said that they felt that the treasure house of truth had been opened before them, and the words had taken hold upon their souls, filling them with joy and peace and the love of God....

The presence of Jesus is with us. The Lord has put upon me the spirit of intercession, and I have great freedom and assurance in prayer.... I am not sorry that I am here.—Letter 21, 1891.

Taking the train for the overnight trip to Melbourne, they arrived Wednesday morning, December 16. Here were located the publishing house and conference headquarters. A large group was assembled in Federal Hall, the meeting room on the second floor of the Echo Publishing Company, to extend a hearty welcome to Australia. G. B. Starr, W. C. White, and Ellen White each addressed the group. Thanks was given to God for bringing the visitors safely to Australia (Manuscript 47, 1891). ...” [Pages 20-22]

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ellen G. White: Volume 5—The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905, By Arthur L. White, Page 16 - Ellen G. White: The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905 (vol. 5), Page 16 -- Ellen G. White Writings

“... [Page 16] The First Leg of the Voyage

Of course, friends and fellow workers were at the wharf to see them off. Frederick Sharp, treasurer and business manager of the developing Sydney Sanitarium, came on board to present a final farewell gift to Ellen White. It was a handsome journal book bound in soft black leather. She wrote in it, “Presented on board the steamer by F. W. Sharp, August 29, 1900.” Later that day she was to make the first entry, opening with the words, “We feel very much affected as we leave Sydney.” [Page 16-17] The journey would be broken by three stops—New Zealand, Samoa, and the Hawaiian Islands. All augured well. Ellen White was reported to be a good sailor, and she suffered only a touch of seasickness the first night out. Willie reported that they were soon on good terms with the stewards and stewardesses: “We feel as much at home as if we had lived with them for six months.”—15 WCW, p. 861. The first 1,280-mile leg of the journey was almost due east to Auckland, New Zealand.

Thursday and Friday were sunny days, and as the sun was setting behind them on Friday evening, they hunted up all the songbooks they could find and gathered for a little sing. They were pleased that about a dozen fellow passengers joined them.

Sabbath morning dawned dark and cloudy, and Ellen White chose to stay in her room most of the day. It was the first Sabbath of the trip, and the noise on the deck above, with the passengers pitching quoits, made it hard for her to realize that it was the Sabbath. Part of the day she spent writing some important instruction given to her in reference to the responsibility resting on medical missionary workers. The newly established medical institutions in Australia were much on her mind, and this was not the only communication she would write that would review important guiding principles.

They found the food on the ship well prepared and appetizing, but to be certain of having a dietary to their liking, they had brought some of their own food on board, particularly oranges and tangerines, zwieback, canned fruit, and canned grape juice. This greatly broadened their selection of menu choices. One favorite dish turned out to be fruit toast, made by pouring fresh hot water and then grape juice over zwieback. For their evening meal, popular items were fresh fruit and crackers.

As the ship sailed eastward at its steady pace of about 340 miles a day, Ellen White thought much of Australia and the nine years she had labored there. “I love the work in Australia,” she wrote. “The cause of God there is a part of me.”—Letter 149, 1900. “For so many years my interest has been bound up with this work that to separate from it seems like tearing me in pieces. I have confidence in those left in charge of the work at Avondale.”—Manuscript 82, 1900. But as the days passed, she began to cast off the burden of the work in [Page 17-18] Australia, and her thoughts turned to challenges that lay ahead in America.

On Sunday morning, their fourth day out, the Moana was steaming down the east coast of New Zealand, past Great Barrier Island and into Auckland harbor. At ten-thirty the ship dropped anchor opposite the quarantine station. Some of the sailors rowed over in a small boat, leaving the passengers in suspense about the possibility of going ashore. Willie was disappointed because he had hoped to see some of his friends from Auckland. “Here we lie,” he wrote. “We cannot go ashore, and thus far no one has come to speak to us. It is a big lot of humbug, this quarantine business.”—15 WCW, p. 861.

Finally, George Teasdale, with Brethren Mountain and Nash and a few others, came out in a rowboat, but could not go aboard. The White party found that by leaning over the rail they could converse with the folks in the rowboat. Willie Floding, a young man bound for Battle Creek to take the medical course, came on board at Auckland. The travelers were shocked to learn of the death of Mrs. F. L. Sharp, following major surgery. Willie and Ellen White sent messages of consolation back with the workers.

The passengers pleasantly anticipated spending Sunday night on the boat while it was not in motion. But they soon changed their minds, for with the ship filling its coal bunkers it was impossible to sleep. There was a constant, thunderous roar. Monday morning the ship headed north and east, passing between the Tongan Islands en route to Samoa. This would be a long week, for they would cross the dateline just before reaching Samoa, which would give them two Thursdays. Ellen White spent as much time as possible in a steamer chair on deck, writing letters, mostly to friends left behind in Australia. She was fascinated and refreshed by the sea and the fresh salt air. From girlhood days she had loved the ocean. One day she wrote, “We now have a full view of the ever-changing, restless, beautiful sea.”—Letter 164, 1900. And at another time, “I am up on deck writing, and enjoying the fresh air.... This morning my soul is filled with praise and thanksgiving to God.”—Manuscript 96, 1900.

She spent many pleasant hours paging through the autograph album given her during the farewell service at Cooranbong. So did the Willie White family on the deck below, as day by day they read a [Page 18-19] few pages. These albums, gold embossed and bound in bright, royal-blue velvet with gold-edged leaves, still convey nostalgia and warmth; one cannot read them without feeling drawn to those for whom they were so lovingly and carefully prepared. There was a section for every day of the voyage, and each section was introduced by an exquisite little watercolor painting, the Moana itself often appearing in the picture.

The brown-toned photographs help to tell the story of the work in Australia. There is the electro-hydropathic institute in Adelaide. There are pictures of neat little churches Ellen White had visited and in which she had made investments to help the companies of believers who needed meetinghouses. There are portraits of friends, and scenes from her Sunnyside home. One page was reserved for pictures of their watchdog, Tiglath-Pileser, at Sunnyside. It will be remembered that parts of Australia had been settled by convicts, and as some of their descendants seemed to inherit the proclivities of their forebears, a good watchdog served a very useful purpose at Sunnyside.

The messages are beautiful examples of nineteenth-century script. They reflect the very high regard in which Ellen White was held: “Mrs. E. G. White’s presence in our little village will be sadly missed. The widow and the orphan found in her a helper,” one woman wrote.

A student at Avondale said, “I shall ever remember with gratitude the many kindnesses shown me by you while living in your home.”

G. B. Starr and his wife, Nellie, listed all the times they were with Ellen White from the time she landed in Australia aboard the Alemeda in 1891 until she left. They had journeyed from Honolulu to Sydney with her when she went out nine years earlier.

One wrote how she had been converted while reading the chapter on repentance in Steps to Christ. Another had had the same experience with The Great Controversy. Another thanked her for saving him from spiritual disaster when he had become deeply involved in spiritualism.

There was even a cartoon showing Ellen and Willie busy reading their autograph albums on the deck of the Moana, although the height of the waves pictured by the artist surely would have [Page 19-20] prohibited such gentle pastime pursuits!

On shipboard she was to write a letter about the album, addressing it “Dear Friends All, in Cooranbong”:

I thank you with much pleasure as I look into my memorial. It is a beautiful reminder of my friends, and it came so unexpectedly to us. I appreciate it more than anything my friends could give me. It is so beautifully gotten up, and it has so great a variety and expresses so much skill and taste and beauty.... I thank you all who have so freely bound up your heart with my heart.—Letter 190, 1900.

She also spent time making friends with some of the passengers. One woman, Mrs. Goward, noticing The Desire of Ages, expressed admiration for it. Ellen White, hoping for just such an opportunity, gave it to her, along with Christian Education.

The Stop in Samoa

The autograph album paged for Sabbath, September 8, shows the Moana lying placidly in the harbor at Apia, largest of the Samoan islands. The artist’s prediction came close to the fact. The ship arrived at 7:00 A.M. on Friday morning. It would have been Sabbath morning if they had not just crossed the dateline, thus adding an extra day.

... to be continued ...

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... continued ...

Ellen G. White: Volume 5—The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905, By Arthur L. White, Page 16 - Ellen G. White: The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905 (vol. 5), Page 16 -- Ellen G. White Writings

... As the anchor was dropped, the White party soon spotted its welcoming committee—a large green boat manned with singing Samoans (15 WCW, p. 868). They were directed by Prof. D. D. Lake, who supervised the Samoan Mission. One by one, members of the White party were helped down the rope ladder into the boat, and even 72-year-old Ellen White climbed down. One giant Samoan took Baby Grace in his arms and stood straight on the point of the bow, much to the discomfiture of her mother, May, who was afraid of water anyway. She could easily imagine those big, bare feet slipping off the slick wood.

Even the smaller boat could not go all the way in to shore, so two of the men crossed arms to make a chair for Ellen White and carried her to the beach. May White was told to put her arms around the neck of the one who carried Grace, and Ellen had a good laugh over the strange sight of this grown woman in her full skirts clinging to [Page 20-21] the bronzed, naked back of a Samoan as he carried her and her baby ashore.

Two carriages were waiting to convey members of the party who were not up to walking a mile to the mission headquarters. The rest of the group enjoyed the little jaunt. Oh, how good the home-cooked breakfast tasted! While most of the party went sightseeing, Ellen and Willie White stayed behind with Professor Lake to discuss the possibilities of reopening the sanitarium that had been forced to close when Dr. F. E. Braucht left for New Zealand (Ibid).

The sightseers returned just as the interview was completed. After having prayer together they collected the many baskets of fruit that had been gathered for them. There were bananas in abundance, mangoes, papayas, and oranges. Everybody then headed for the boat, except Mabel. One of the women had wanted to return early, so Mabel had volunteered to drive her to the dock with the horse and buggy. On the drive back to the mission she became lost. She could not ask her way, for the only words in Samoan she knew were “How do you do?” It was nearly time for the boat to leave. Just as the situation seemed almost hopeless, along came Willie Floding. He had worked on the island and knew his way around. Together they quickly found the ship.

Calm seas continued as they plowed their way north and east on the next leg of the journey—2,260 miles to Honolulu. Midway they would cross the equator and be again in the Northern Hemisphere. It was a pleasant week of travel. Ella, unable to restrain the desire to teach, had organized a little school for the twins, and soon other children joined. She even recruited Leonard Paap, one of the party, to teach the older children. The sunrise on Monday morning was outstanding. Ellen White wrote, “The sunrise was glorious. The whole sea was a river of yellow gold. We have on this journey a placid sea.”—Manuscript 96, 1900. Then she reported:

I am now lying or half sitting in my steamboat chair on deck. I have eaten my simple breakfast and read my Bible and now am prepared to write. The Lord is merciful to us and is favoring us with excellent weather.— Ibid.

She particularly appreciated the clouds that at times veiled the [Page 21-22] bright rays of the sun. This made the journey more pleasant.

On Sunday night, September 9, God gave Ellen White a vision. It was not the only one given to her during the voyage, but this one she reported immediately. It dealt with the management of the Sydney Sanitarium. She was instructed that Dr. D. H. Kress, who had just gone to Australia, should be the man to manage the medical interests of the new institution. There were some others in Australia who thought perhaps they would be called to the position, so Ellen White cautioned Fred Sharp, to whom the letter was addressed, to treat the matter judiciously. “Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves,” she advised.—Letter 203, 1900.

Perhaps it was this vision of Sunday night in which she received the instruction she spoke of in Battle Creek some months later. Various and sundry rumors were floating around as to what she was at times supposed to have said. Warning came to her to be on guard against private interviews. There were people who would catch something from her lips that they could interpret in such away as to vindicate themselves. Her Instructor counseled that silence was eloquence, even when she was with her supposed friends. She was counseled to keep her words for public occasions.

“‘Enter into no controversy,’” she was advised in vision. “‘Take no part in any strife or in anything that would divert the mind from God.’” And she was assured, “‘I have a message for you to bear, and as this message is given to the people, it is not for you to try to make them believe it. That is not your work. You are to go straight forward in the work I have given you. I will strengthen you to do this work.’”—Manuscript 29, 1901.

Friday morning, September 14, at eight o’clock, after a very hot night, the Moana reached Honolulu. Elder Baxter Howe, in charge of the work of the church there, welcomed the travelers and took them to Sister Kerr’s, where the whole party enjoyed an early lunch. The Kerrs were an affluent family. Mr. Kerr, a businessman, was not a member of the church, but Mrs. Kerr was generous-hearted and outgoing. Ellen White had been entertained royally at their home on her trip to Australia nine years before.

The hours in Honolulu would be limited, so the party made a brief visit to the church, where both Ellen White and Willie addressed the people. Then they visited the Chinese school [Page 22-23] operated by W. E. Howell. By six o’clock that evening they were back on the boat, which soon was on its way eastward to San Francisco.

The Third Week on Shipboard

This third week of the voyage was more trying to Ellen White. Tobacco smoke bothered her a great deal. She wrote of it in her letters to Dr. Kellogg. Quoit playing on the deck above her stateroom continued to irritate her. Then at night, when everyone should be sleeping, there was dancing on deck over her head till the wee hours of the morning. Several times while she was on deck she asked the men who were near her steamer chair to refrain from smoking, explaining how it affected her. But they simply said she could go “somewhere else” (Manuscript 29, 1901). When she appealed to one of the ship’s officers, he confessed that he was helpless. A doctor on the second-class deck consoled her by pointing out that the voyage would soon be over, and he asked, “‘Did you ever know a tobacco user who could be reasoned with?’”—Letter 133, 1900.

On the liquor side of the temperance question, one case particularly attracted Ellen White’s attention, and she wrote of it to Dr. Kellogg:

One man, with Reverend attached to his name, who during the voyage, Bible in hand, had given expositions of the Word in the social hall, was on several occasions so drunk that he had to be carried to his stateroom.— Ibid.

The preacher’s wife, full of anxiety and sorrow on his account, confided in Ellen White that before they left Australia her husband had come into a considerable amount of money and now he was drinking so freely he did not know or care where the money went.

As they neared the California arrival time, late Thursday night, Ellen White felt she could hardly endure the expected partying that traditionally marks the final day of a voyage. Willie came to her and said, “‘We are nearing the last night of the trip, when we shall have more noise than ever before; but I am praying for a storm.’”—Manuscript 29, 1901. “‘So am I,’” Ellen White replied.

That Wednesday evening, still dreading the next day’s carousal, she found a little anteroom and lay down. She fell asleep, but soon [Page 23-24] was awakened by a voice speaking to her. As she gained her senses, she knew what it meant. “The room was filled with a sweet fragrance, as of beautiful flowers.” Then she fell asleep once more and was awakened in the same way. Of it she wrote:

Words were spoken to me, assuring me that the Lord would protect me, that He had a work for me to do. Comfort, encouragement, and direction were given to me, and I was greatly blessed.— Ibid.

Part of the message that came to her at that time was an assurance that put her mind at rest on one particular point. This was the question of where she should make her home in America. In earlier years they had lived in Battle Creek, Michigan, as her husband led the church and managed the Review and Herald Publishing House. Then they lived in Oakland, California, as James White started the Signs of the Times After her husband’s death, Ellen had lived in a home in Healdsburg, California, only a few blocks from the college. This home she still owned. Just before leaving for Australia, she had lived in Battle Creek again. And now where should she settle? The question had concerned them from the time they planned to leave Australia.

Writing of this two weeks before their departure, she noted:
... to be continued ...

Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... continued ...

... WCW has felt very strongly that under no circumstances should we locate in Battle Creek or east of the Rocky Mountains. Our position must be near the Pacific Press. We have planned to go into the country, in or near Fruitvale, so that we might have no connection with any duties or offices that would demand our attention. Here we hope to complete the book-making we now contemplate.

We had gotten a good hold upon it here, but have not completed the work in hand because of our plan to leave this country the last of August. Willie was very loath to leave so soon, but it was my decided judgment that we must reach America before winter, since the change of climate at that time would be most trying to me at my age.

So you can see that our plans were made not to get anywhere near a school or under the shadow of an office where our time [Page 24-25] and strength might be consumed as they have been in this new portion of the Lord’s vineyard. We must be within ten or fifteen miles of the Pacific Press.—Letter 121, 1900.

The Pacific Press was then in Oakland. The vision given to her that Wednesday evening during the last week of the journey set her mind at rest. She wrote of this, “The Lord revealed Himself to me ... and comforted me, assuring me that He had a refuge prepared for me, where I would have quiet and rest.”—Letter 163, 1900.

What a comfort it was to know that God already had something in mind for her! How she wished she might know just what or where it was.

Now they came to Thursday, the last full day of the trip. They would enter San Francisco Bay that night. The day was sunny and bright, but the sea was so rough the sailors could hardly keep their balance on deck. Most of the passengers remained in their berths. There was no final party. Ellen White lay in bed all day, not even daring to turn over. And then just before the Moana slipped through the Golden Gate, the sea suddenly quieted. It was ten o’clock. The ship could not dock until daylight, so the anchor was cast. Some weeks later she reported:

I felt very grateful for that storm. It lasted long enough to prevent any carousal. And just before we entered the harbor, it cleared away, and the sea became as smooth as it had been all the way over.—Manuscript 29, 1901.

Through the long night hours the ship swung lazily at anchor in San Francisco Bay. The White party no doubt expected that with the coming of daylight the Moana would move into one of the Union Steamship Company piers, and that soon they would see friends on the wharf, including many workers who had come to welcome them back to the United States. But such was not the case. Immigration officials, very conscious of germs, required the Sydney passengers, even though they had been on the ship for nearly a month, to proceed by tugboat to a quarantine station on Angel Island, where their belongings and trunks could be fumigated. That whole weary Friday was spent going through these formalities.

One of Ellen White’s last impressive glimpses of fellow [Page 25-26] passengers was of the preacher who couldn’t stay away from the bottle. She saw him being carried by two men from the quarantine station to a restaurant, where he lay sprawled on a settee, while his beleaguered wife bathed his head.

Finally, by early evening, the contents of trunks and suitcases having been properly fumigated and repacked, the party was taken by tugboat to San Francisco. They arrived at eight o’clock and were met by G. A. Irwin, president of the General Conference; C.H. Jones, manager of the Pacific Press; and J. O. Corliss, pastor of the San Francisco church. The traveling party soon dispersed. C. H. Jones, a longtime friend and acquaintance, took Ellen White and some of her helpers to his home in Oakland. Others stayed with friends in San Francisco. W. C. and May White, with the twins and Baby Grace, were entertained by the Corlisses at their home in Fruitvale, an Oakland suburb. That night Elder Irwin sent a telegram to Battle Creek, which carried the good news of the arrival of the party. It was published on the back page of the next issue of the Review It read, “San Francisco, Cal., September 21, 1900.—Sister White and party arrived this morning in good condition.” The editor commented that this would be “good news to thousands.” And it was. [Page 26-27]

Chapter 2—Elmshaven

On arriving in California, Ellen White was eager to get to her work. In just nine weeks she would celebrate her seventy-third birthday, and there was a great deal she felt she must do, especially in getting her books out. She hoped that she could quickly find a home, move in, establish herself, and get on with the many tasks awaiting her attention. Not wanting to have to undertake the building of a house, she hoped to find a place she could rent.

At her age it seemed to her that the climate of California would be preferable to that of Michigan, with its long, cold winters. Then, too, she did not wish to place herself so close to the headquarters of the work that she would become deeply involved in helping to solve the everyday problems.

The Pacific Press was located in Oakland; considering the many books she would want published, some place within the vicinity of that city would seem to be ideal.

On the Sabbath after their Friday-evening arrival, W. C. White spoke in San Francisco to a good-sized congregation comprised of several nationalities. On Sabbath afternoon Ellen White addressed the believers in the Oakland church. General Conference president G. A. Irwin was the morning speaker. Sunday was spent in resting, in interviews with some leading workers, and visiting with friends. But on Monday morning, September 24, house hunting began. She and Willie discovered that Oakland had grown considerably in the nine years they had been away. Census for the city in 1890 was 66,619 persons. Now, just a decade later, it was a bustling 150,000, [Page 27-28] and property values had kept pace with the city’s growth.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were exhausting days, spent driving from place to place as they searched for suitable housing. They soon decided that they would have to purchase, for rents were just too high. Rent on a house large enough to accommodate Ellen White and her assistants would come to $25 or $30 a month. At that time the monthly salary of her most trusted and faithful helpers was $30, and she herself received $50 a month. To pay from one half to two thirds of her total salary income for the rental of a home was out of the question.

They did find a house in Fruitvale, now a part of Oakland, that could be bought for $6,000. It was located on a two-and-one-half-acre tract of land. But Oakland seemed cold and foggy, and Ellen White declared that she would just stop looking. She said, “The Lord knows what our work is and where we should be located; and we shall wait the Lord’s time.”—Letter 132, 1900.

At this point Willie suggested that she and some of her helpers go up to the health retreat at St. Helena, some sixty miles to the north. This institution had just changed its name to St. Helena Sanitarium, or simply the San. There she could rest a bit and also attend some of the meetings to be held in connection with the nearby Napa camp meeting. He agreed that he would continue to look for a house—or houses, for, of course, he had his own family of seven to care for.

He found he could rent a little house owned by Dr. E. J. Waggoner, who for a number of years had been an associate editor of the Signs of the Times but who was now working in England. In rather amusing terms W. C. White wrote to his close friend Arthur Daniells:

For several days we have been trying to fit a number seven family into a number five house, with a number three purse to purchase furnishings.—15 WCW, p. 871.

He would have to pay $15 a month rent out of the “number three purse.”

On Thursday morning, September 27, following her son’s counsel, Ellen White, with Sara McEnterfer and some of her other helpers, started for St. Helena. They would cross the Bay by ferry, ...” [Pages 16-28]

Upvote 0