the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So it's not an actual fist century congregation Jesus is addressing?

I believe the 7 churches existed during the time of Revelation, and they also speak to 7 churches today (i.e. 7 different beliefs (primarily) in Christianity that make them distinctive). Otherwise, how do you apply it to your life today? It would be kind of useless otherwise. But all Scripture is profitable for doctrine, correction, etc. (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the 7 churches existed during the time of Revelation, and they also speak to 7 churches today (i.e. 7 different beliefs (primarily) in Christianity that make them distinctive). Otherwise, how do you apply it to your life today? It would be kind of useless otherwise. But all Scripture is profitable for doctrine, correction, etc. (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Correct...
There is Pastoral application of all Scripture to all peoples of all times.
There can only be PROPHETIC application to one generation, however.

Just as the Genesis narrative of the Flood applies to you today "pastorally", I suspect you're not building an ark in anticipation of a flood in 7 days after reading Genesis 7:4, right?

I'm not.
Should I be?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct...
There is Pastoral application of all Scripture to all peoples of all times.
There can only be PROPHETIC application to one generation, however.

Just as the Genesis narrative of the Flood applies to you today "pastorally", I suspect you're not building an ark, right?

I'm not.
Should I be?

It's also prophetically speaking about churches today. For if the righteous instruction can be applied today based off a reading of these 7 churches in the past, then these 7 churches also exist today in the fact that you can line up these beliefs from the 7 churches with believers today. Hence, fulfillment of prophecy.

I had no problem lining up the beliefs of these 7 churches with real believers or church organizations today.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's also prophetically speaking about churches today. For if the righteous instruction can be applied today based off a reading of these 7 churches in the past, then these 7 churches also exist today in the fact that you can line up these beliefs from the 7 churches with believers today. Hence, fulfillment of prophecy.

I think you confuse pastoral application with prophetic.

But I'll give you a chance to clarify.

Would you say the same about the Flood?
Can the righteous instruction found in the Genesis flood narrative be applied today?
If so, Does that mean The flood Narrative is being prophetically fulfilled today too?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seven Churches Chart - Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea

Found the above and it has a chart, including the meanings!
Ephesus:
First or desirable
Smyrna:
Myrrh or sweet fragrance
Pergamos:
Height, power, or elevation by marriage
Thyatira:
Sweet savor labor. Sacrifice of contrition
Sardis:
Those escaping or that which remain
Philadelphia:
Brotherly love
Laodicea:
Judging the people or a just people
*According to that site.
Great info.
I was so fascinated with those 7 Assemblies I decided to devote time into translating them from the Greek. Here are the links to them for those interested and I welcome any feedback from other members.

I am currently working on the 6th Assembly of Philadelphia.

Revelation chapter 2 - 1st four Churches
Revelation chapter 2 - 1st four Churches

Revelation chapter 3: The last 3 Churches
Revelation chapter 3: The last 3 Churches
====================================
Ephesus

Reve 2:7..... shall be giving to him to be eating from out of the tree/wood/xulou<3586> of the life which is being in midst of the paradise/paradeisou<3857> of the God [of Me].
Gen 2:8 The LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed.
9 And out of the ground the LORD God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Smyrna
Reve 2:7..... will not be harmed by the second death.
Gen 5:5
So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

Pergamum
Reve 2:17..... I will give the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone inscribed with a new name, known only to the one who receives it.

Thyatira
Reve 2:
26..... and continues in My work until the end, I will give authority over the nations. 27 He will rule them with an iron scepter and shatter them like potterya—just as I have received authority from My Father. 28 And I will give him the morning star

Sardis
Reve 3:5..... will be clothed in white garments. And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels

Phildelphia
Reve 3:12 I.....will make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will never again leave it. Upon him I will write the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God (the new Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven from My God), and My new name.

Reve 3:21.....I will grant the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

The Angels of the Seven Churches.
The Angels of the Seven Churches.

Ephesus means desired or desirable, a term applied by a lover to the woman of his choice.
Smyrna means myrrh, a symbol of sorrow, suffering, and death, an apt picture of the trials, troubles, and tribulations through which we are passing on our journey into perfection.
Pergamos means marriage, elevation, or firm union, and truly each of us is married to, and in firm union with, either the flesh or the spirit!
Thyatira is incense, bespeaking of the outflow of grace, praise, and worship through our lives.
Sardis means remnant or escaping ones, signifying that God is always bringing out a remnant unto His purposes.
Philadelphia means brotherly love.
Laodicea conveys the idea of the people’s right, the people’s judgment, or the people’s choice, expressing the negative aspect of the rule of the flesh and the carnal mind of which the Lord says, “I am about to spew you out of my mouth.” Those who overcome in this realm are qualified to REIGN WITH CHRIST ON HIS THRONE!
===========================================
A study of the 7 Assemblies by Preston Eby:

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series 29

“What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyratira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea…the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches” (Rev. 1:11,20).

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series 31
“Unto the Messenger of the church of Ephesus write! These things saith He that holdeth the seven stars in His right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks” (Rev. 2:1). “The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches; and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches” (Rev. 1:20). Ephesus was the church closest to Patmos. The city was located in a very desirable location, and the name means “desired” or “desirable.”

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series
“And unto the Messenger of the church in Smyrna write…” (Rev. 2:8).
Of the seven churches, two of them received no indictment from the Lord, nor were they told to repent. The church in Smyrna was known as the “suffering church” because of their severe persecutions, and they were not told to repent.
Smyrna means “sweet smelling” and comes from the root word for myrrh. The myrrh plant is found throughout the Middle East and was used in the manufacture of an aromatic ointment. When bruised and crushed, the myrrh gives forth a lovely fragrance. Myrrh was used to embalm the bodies of the dead. Carefully the linens were prepared, and wound around the bodies of the loved ones, while myrrh was packed between the folds of the cloth. Thus was the body of our Lord embalmed!

“And by the Messenger of the church in Pergamos write!…” (Rev. 2:12).
The third church was the church in Pergamos. Pergamos means “elevated,” such as a citadel, tower, or an earthly elevation.
Pergamos was one of the most beautiful cities of the ancient world. It was famous for its almost perfect weather, and was called the city of eternal spring. Pergamos was the seat of more different religions than any other city of the ancient world. Mark Anthony came to visit Pergamos quite often because of its great natural beauty, and another frequent visitor was Cleopatra.
The city was noted for its pagan religions and many heathen temples. Famous shrines of the gods dominated the skyline of this great religious center. The great altar dedicated to the chief Greek saviour-god, Zeus, was located in front of the temple of Athena which stood one thousand feet up on the conical hill where Pergamos was situated. There was also an altar to Athena, patron goddess of Athens. Emperor worship was practiced in Pergamos, its first temple being erected in 29 B.C.............

“And by the Messenger of the church in Thyatira write!…” (Rev. 2:18).
“These things saith the Son of God, who hath His eyes like unto a flame of fire, and His feet are like fine brass; .............
The church in Thyatira has a longer message delivered to it from Jesus Christ than any of the seven churches, although it is interesting to note that the church there is the smallest of the seven, and the city of Thyatira is the smallest of the seven cities.
Thyatira means “sweet perfume of sacrifice” and when you study this word it speaks of a perfume that sends forth its fragrance as the result of bruising, crushing, or breaking. As we study the message to the church in Thyatira we see that the primary emphasis is upon the Jezebel spirit in that church and the “great tribulation” into which the Lord will cast her in order to judge, break, and purify her. Most of the ingredients in the holy anointing oil with which the priesthood of Israel was anointed were made fragrant through the process of bruising and crushing. Once the spices were gathered, only as they were pierced and crushed did their fragrance go forth. It is not easy to yield to the crushing and bruising! ..........

“And by the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith He that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars…” (Rev. 3:1).
prince of joy?
There is a strange situation in the church at Sardis, the church to whom the Lord revealed Himself as the One who has the seven spirits of God. Though the church at Sardis had the reputation of being a LIVE church…it did not appear that way to the Lord. “Thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead,” the Lord said, and even the little life they had was close to death.
John saw One sitting upon the throne, and He that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne in sight like unto an emerald. A rainbow is one, but it has seven colors, and the seven colors of that glorious rainbow represent the sevenfold, intensified fullness of the Spirit of God!
Sardis (/ˈsɑːrdɪs/) or Sardes (/ˈsɑːrdiːz/; Lydian: Sfard; Ancient Greek: Σάρδεις Sardeis; Old Persian: Sparda) was an ancient city at the location of modern Sart (Sartmahmut before 19 October 2005) in Turkey's Manisa Province. Sardis was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Lydia,[1] one of the important cities of the Persian Empire, the seat of a proconsul under the Roman Empire, and the metropolis of the province Lydia in later Roman and Byzantine times...

“And by the Messenger of the church in Philadelphia write!…” (Rev. 3:7).
The Greek word for Philadelphia is Philadelphos and its meaning is “one who loves his brother.” Philadelphia was a young city founded and colonized by people from Pergamos.
Of the seven churches, two of them received no indictment from the Lord, nor were they told to repent. The church in Smyrna was known as the “suffering church” because of their severe persecutions, and they were not told to repent. The Lord saw their trouble and tribulation, their poverty and imprisonment, their unswerving steadfastness and great faithfulness, and they did not need to be told to repent. It was in their hearts to repent when the need arose, for the work of God ran deep in their lives.
In fact, not one negative thing is said about the church in Philadelphia! We can benefit from the positive things said about a church, and we can also benefit from the negative things said about a church.

“And by the Messenger of the church of the Laodiceans write…” (Rev. 3:14).
It is interesting to note that the name Laodicea is composed of lao and dika, meaning “the people’s judgment” or “consensus of opinion as to what is right!” Other variations of rendering are: “power of the laity,” “the voice of the people,” “the people’s rights,” or “justice of the peoples.” Its name designates it as the democratic church, in which everything is swayed and decided by popular opinion, clamor, and voting, either within the church, or by adapting to the opinions, standards, and pressures of society without. Hence, Laodicea is a carnal, compromising, pusillanimous, self-righteous, and self-sufficient church!

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?

The seven churches describe the state (condition) of the early churches of the time and is also applicable to the state (condition) of modern day christian churches/congregations and to the state (condition) of christian individuals as well.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you confuse pastoral application with prophetic.

But I'll give you a chance to clarify.

Would you say the same about the Flood?
Can the righteous instruction found in the Genesis flood narrative be applied today?
If so, Does that mean The flood Narrative is being prophetically fulfilled today too?

Noah, and the Global Flood Narrative is not referring to actual churches. While this story can be prophetically applied in a way (Not getting into that here because that would be another topic), the story of Noah would be more loosely applied in a prophetic sense and it would not be directly applied like with the 7 churches that we can clearly see today. For the churches still exist today. Noah, and his family do not exist today. See the difference?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?

Its pure fantasy to think that there are 7 denominations in Revelation

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Noah, and the Global Flood Narrative is not referring to actual churches. While this story can be prophetically applied in a way (Not getting into that here because that would be another topic), the story of Noah would be more loosely applied in a prophetic sense and it would not be directly applied like with the 7 churches that we can clearly see today. For the churches still exist today. Noah, and his family do not exist today. See the difference?

Ok... So when Jesus promised the Church at Sardis He would "come as a thief" to them, which Church at Sardis was He making that promise to?
1st century?
10th Century?
21st century?

It cant be all of them, can it?
It can only be one, right?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its pure fantasy to think that there are 7 denominations in Revelation

I can spot 3 denominations really clearly in the 7. They are almost screaming at you of their existence today. The other 4th church I recognized is a little more vague, but it lines up with a denomination that we see today. Their works not being perfect before God is speaking to those who think they can generally live a holy life, but they do not believe that one or two unrepentant grievous sins can separate them from God (because they have a belief on Jesus). The 2 faithful churches are more of the narrow few who follow Jesus. This would not be any recognized denomination today but individual believers who have the same mind set in following the Lord. One of the faithful churches here is at the poverty level. They do not have a church name. They are just followers of Jesus Christ (via the Bible).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok... So when Jesus promised the Church at Sardis He would "come as a thief" to them, which Church at Sardis was He making that promise to?
1st century?
10th Century?
21st century?

It cant be all of them, can it?
It can only be one, right?

It is a church or belief that existed since John's time until now. This is a theme in Revelation. It talks about things that were in the past and things present, and things to come. The "beast" is a demon who is the 8th king who will rise through the antichrist (7th king) in the future. The beast is a part of the devil's empire through out history with 6 other previous kings or kingdoms.

The Five Kings That Are Fallen out of the 8 Kings:

1st King = Egypt
2nd King = Assyria
3rd King = Babylon (Statue of Neb. starts) (Different Beast Animals Start)
4th King = Medo Persia
5th King = Greece

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a church or belief that existed since John's time until now. This is a theme in Revelation. It talks about things that were in the past and things present, and things to come.
So when Jesus Promised actual air-breathing, blood pumping Human beings alive in the 1st century at the Asia Minor Christ of Sardis that his "Thiefs coming" was going to befall them, back then,(Revelation 3:3) He was... what?... Faking? Lying? maybe just Ignorant?

Or, Because He ALWAYS speaks the truth and can be trusted, did He follow through on His promise and Come as a thief to them, back then?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

questions and comments?

The best picture I know of the 7-fold Church of Revelation is the Menorah. It's one lamp that shares the same Oil (the same Spirit), but it has seven candlestick branches, each having a single flame of the same Fire. The branches represent the geographically-separated local church congregations. Each of the 7 flames on the top of each branch represent the "Messenger" or "Minister" of each congregation of the 7-fold Church, for God makes His Angels "a flame of fire" (Hebrews 1:7). Each branch/assembly of the Church had an Apostle or spiritual leader over that particular local congregation, but they were of the same Spirit.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So when Jesus Promised actual air-breathing, blood pumping Human beings alive in the 1st century at the Asia Minor Christ of Sardis that his "Thiefs coming" was going to befall them, back then,(Revelation 3:3) He was... what?... Faking? Lying? maybe just Ignorant?

Or, Because He ALWAYS speaks the truth and can be trusted, did He follow through on His promise and Come as a thief to them, back then?

You are looking at things from a purely physical perspective on this. The church is more than their existence in the past alone, but their beliefs would continue on to the next generation, and the next until today. The beliefs that existed during John's time, still exist today. The 7 churches are primarily describing distinctive belief systems amongst Christians through out time or history since the time of John. The church exists through out time as a collective whole (because the beliefs are carried on from one generation to the next) and these churches (beliefs) did not end in the past. So when Jesus was talking to these churches in the past, He was talking to them as a collective body that would continue on into the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The best picture I know of the 7-fold Church of Revelation is the Menorah. It's one lamp that shares the same Oil (the same Spirit), but it has seven candlestick branches, each having a single flame of the same Fire. The branches represent the geographically-separated local church congregations. Each of the 7 flames on the top of each branch represent the "Messenger" or "Minister" of each congregation of the 7-fold Church, for God makes His Angels "a flame of fire" (Hebrews 1:7). Each branch/assembly of the Church had an Apostle or spiritual leader over that particular local congregation, but they were of the same Spirit.

You bring up an interesting point. I believe that all 7 of these churches started off correctly to begin with during the time they received the gospel in the early church age, but then by the time John received his Revelation from GOD, this is when we recognize that 5 of the candle lights had went out. They were no longer shining the light of Jesus and His good ways to the world. They idea here (as a whole) is that they are told to repent, otherwise their lamb stand will be removed. Only 2 out of the 7 were getting things right.

This makes sense because Jesus said "narrow is the way" and Jesus says, "FEW be there that find it."

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Five Kings That Are Fallen out of the 8 Kings:

1st King = Egypt
2nd King = Assyria
3rd King = Babylon (Statue of Neb. starts) (Different Beast Animals Start)
4th King = Medo Persia
5th King = Greece

Unless revelation defines this for us and you can show us where revelation states the 1st king is Egypt, the 2nd king Assyria, etc....., this is pure speculation.

Same goes with the 7 churches as 7 denominations.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unless revelation defines this for us and you can show us where revelation states the 1st king is Egypt, the 2nd king Assyria, etc....., this is pure speculation.

Same goes with the 7 churches as 7 denominations.

Like Daniel's (yet future) 70th week, this is a pretty standard teaching by Eschatology teachers.
I would suggest Chuck Missler (Although I do not watch him anymore because I do not agree with his view on Salvation - i.e. he believes in Eternal Security).

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have a different opinion on the identity of this church. What I have said so far should give you the clues to figure it out. I do not want to openly say the identity for all of these churches because it would be regarded as hate or discrimination of fellow brothers and sisters on the forums (and I could get points for it and then banned).

PM me the indentities, if you will. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace."
THE BOOK OF ECCLESIASTES
It is a church or belief that existed since John's time until now. This is a theme in Revelation. It talks about things that were in the past and things present, and things to come.

Exactly.

Upvote 0