the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
I tend to read the churches and their challenges as actual trials for Christians to overcome. The common practice of mystifying of the seven churches seems to imply a good portion of the church has no intention of overcoming.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
1 ¶ Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

This sounds like a conservative Christian who has forgotten who Jesus is, the love that was there at the beginning of the relationship is extinguished, sermons saying "the honey moon is over" got to them, and they focused too much on works and rebuking people for not getting it right. I've totally been there, and repented. I also would not assign this mentality to any one denomination or church age.

Having the candlestick taken away means the church is no longer a Christian church, it would just have a form of Godliness but be in complete darkness.

The angel of the church is the being that is at every church that reflects the beliefs and thoughts of those attending the church. In order to communicate to that being, the letter would need to be read in front of and accepted by the whole church.

Since Ephesus's root word in the strongs means "permitted" I'd take this to be an intro to the trials.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
8 ¶ And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

This trial speaks of the life of God's kingdom versus the temporal life we have in this world. This trial is in effect if you live in a region where a group calling themselves the people of God or even Christians but are really the Church of the devil. For this to be actually true, they need to have the legal authority to put you in prison and torture you, some to the point of death for your beliefs.

The application is simple: If this is your situation, then you can overcome your trial and not be hurt by the second death. This also implies some Christians may be hurt by the second death, you know ... such as me since I don't have a theocratic regime like that around me, and atheistic governments aren't moving in that direction currently. Thus this leads me to live in the question, is my faith strong enough? With the application to continue to develop my trust bond with God.

The root word for Smyrna in the Strongs is Myrrh, signifying that our faith is very valuable in the sight of God. Some might draw comparison to incense, which may be poetic, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
12 ¶ And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Pergamos has the definition of Height or Elevation and has a root word of Tower in the Strongs, painting the picture of the heights the devil took Jesus during the three temptations, and also maybe a tower of rebellion from ages past.

The double edged sword means to carefully apply the message since it can also work against you if you do not.

The praise part of the message says the faith has not been abandoned even when people were killed among you. This might be a qualifier, since there have been a number of church shootings and fires on my continent, it may or may not qualify since it wasn't in the same city.

There are two type of obstacles in this type of situation: People who act as tempters so other people will sin, (millstone around the neck sort of thing) and also people who teach things that God hates. Since the actual teachings of the group mentioned did not survive, I tend to refer to the list in Proverbs 6 on things that God hates.

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

So don't do or teach to do any of the above I guess, pretty straight forward.

The consequence of non-compliance is that Jesus will come with the sword of His mouth and use it against you. It is important to note the following passages:

Re 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
Re 19:21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Some people say don't mess with Texas, but it's an even worse idea to try and mess up a church that Jesus built and is abiding with the congregation.

The rewards for overcoming the trial of "don't abandon the faith, and don't teach evil things or tempt others to sin" is to be given a new name that only you will know, the biblical significance of a name is that it designates a purpose, the new name in this case relates to the coming world. The hidden manna, is hidden, and it's food. Jesus talked about food that we knew nothing of, it was doing the will of the Father. So maybe the reward is saying, I give you a new name and a new purpose. That's what I get out of it anyway.

I couldn't actually assign this to a particular denomination or time period, since it can apply to any Christian, since they wouldn't be eligible for the rewards if they repented otherwise.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
18 ¶ And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
28 And I will give him the morning star.
29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

The word Thyatira doesn't have a root word in the Strong's dictionary and is rendered meaning "Odor of Affliction" I derive that perhaps they're working so hard that their sweat is considered as incense, but that's all that comes to me.

19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

This illustrates what God is looking at in a church, and what it is expected to bring forth as fruit from its congregants. They did so well, that those who didn't do the bad thing happening have nothing else required of them, which is quite the compliment.

In the situation here, you have a woman prophet teaching about demonology and having sex with her students. This is something Jesus will punish. Jesus did not have an issue with the prophet being a woman or speaking in church.

Application here: Don't get obsessed about learning about demons and their secrets, and do not have sex with your students if you are in a teaching role. Pretty straight forward.

Those who mature to this epic level of spiritual development, and continue until the end of their lives will be given a rod of Iron to rule with Jesus over the nations, and be given the morning star. The morning star, that means you'll be really shiny right? like the son of the dawn was in the beginning?

For this reason, I tend to disagree with people who teach that all Christians will rule with Jesus. being a citizen is one thing, but being a ruler among citizens, this requires those who will rule to overcome.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,964.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
I figured I'd look at the passages concerned first, and I did (see above posts)

I could continue looking at the remainder of the seven churches in this thread, but time constraints.

My general conclusion is that the 7 churches can be applied to individual congregations regardless of denomination. A particular region may have more of one type of the 7 churches due to circumstances common to that region. (such as the government imprisoning people for believing in God)

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the concept of seven general church congregations. Noting especially that they did not particularly like one another.

1. Peter did not eat with the Gentiles (Galatians 2:14)
2. Rome did not come to the help of Constantinople
3. Catholic Spain warred against Protestant England
4. Lutheran Germany persecuted the Ana-Baptist
5. Non-Conformist John Bunyan would spend half his life behind bars

I find though, in this Laodicean day, the congregations more tolerant one to another

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

questions and comments?
What exegetical method did you employ to arrive at the notion that the seven churches of Revelation are seven denominations?

• Useful
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Philadelphia:

Christians who are sold out to Christ in everything they do. They don't justify sin, and they encourage and inspire others to follow the Lord (and they genuinely love God and they love all people - but they don't love their sin).

An apt description. This definitely sounds like Protestants to me, especially evangelicals.

Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ's epistles to the seven congregations in Asia Minor had local significance and prophetic significance.

Locally and concurrent with the time of John's writing of Revelation each church had its particular character, problems and praises.

Each epistle also is a prophesy of the body of Christ throughout history. There is a lot of documentation proving this is so. Today, we are in the time of the church of Laodicia. It ends with the church of Laodicia.

As to today's current denominations: All the types of churches of John's day exist somewhere today. Every church of today could have a little bit of the character of any of the churches in the epistles. Some more than others.

There were two epistles where Jesus had nothing good to say about the churches, and two churches where Jesus had nothing bad to say about them. Each church was surprised at Christ's message to them.

Unarguably for Christians, Revelation 2 and 3 are the most important chapters in the book; because we will be viewing all the rest of the events in Revelation from the mezzanine in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

questions and comments?
The seven churches in Asia are all Christians separated merely by geography receiving a letter from John quoting the words of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. The point of addressing each congregation by name was because each had a unique weakness that needed to be addressed, corrected and most of all warned of a coming judgment. These congregations are all part of the "one" Body of Christ sharing the same foundation, principles and beliefs. They shared the exact same statement of faith.

The creeping in of man made doctrines which Jesus was disputing in His letter to the seven churches, caused a division among them and great error among all, for the exception of one, Philadelphia. It is the same with denominational separation- division caused by doctrines of men not something Jesus Christ of Nazareth wanted to see in His Church. Here is a run down of the seven churches that eerily resemble some denominations of today.

Ephesus-Started to veer away from their first love and not doing the works of the Gospel.
Smyrna-Some were teaching the way of the Old Covenant.
Pergamos-Balaam worshipers and those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans.
Thyatira - Accepted Jezebel as a prophetess and followed her ways.
Sardis-Unrepentant. Not holding fast to the truth of the Gospel.
Philadelphia-"you have kept My command to persevere"
Laodiceans-Prosperity Gospel

Blessings

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: _Dave_
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your thread, frogoon. I would like to point out some things that hopefully will show that the Bible does NOT teach denominationalism but it denounces it in any form.

There is only ONE CHURCH that Jesus is building; there is only ONE FLOCK that Jesus now has, made up of both Jews & Gentiles; there is only ONE congregation, like the ONE congregation in the wilderness, also called the one church in the wilderness; there is only ONE ASSEMBLY of saints & believers, all those who call upon the Lord Jesus Christ & follow Him; their is only ONE FAITH that we unite under, that which is in the ONLY NAME under heaven given among people by which we MUST BE SAVED; there is only ONE BODY OF CHRIST, made up of many members but is described as ONE NEW MAN in place of the two, THE ONE DWELLING PLACE OF GOD IN THE SPIRIT.

"I feel...

people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination."

Since when do feelings decide what is right & wrong?

Who are 'these people'--these vague, group of people that is usually never defined but seem to have been lifted up to some status or importance, as to 'their unknown opinion?

"I feel...

the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations & not separate churches (in philosophical sense)."

Again since when do feelings decide what is the meaning of a given text? Since when does someone's 'opinion,' not just a NORMAL describing--but now this is REALLY describing what is meant--in a given passage?

Since there is only one church, one flock, one body of Christ, one assembly, one congregation, one dwelling place of God in the Spirit consistently & ACTUALLY & REALLY described in the texts themselves, there is no teaching of denominations in Scripture.

How can there be denominations when there is only one organic body of Christ?

Denominations are the invention of men not God; man-made not God designed.

Here is what Martin Luther stated when he found out people were trying to make a Lutheran denomination:

"Dirty maggot fodder that I am, that any man should call THE CHURCH of Jesus Christ AFTER MY NAME; for we have only ONE HEAD, even Christ." Then he quotes verses out of I Cor 1 & I Cor 2 showing this idea of following other people & their teachings other than Jesus Christ & the faith once for all delivered to the saints--was carnal, divisive & contrary to the one true gospel that we Christians preach.

Just look how it actually describes the 7 churches in Revelation:

Rev 2:1 “To the angel of THE CHURCH--IN--Ephesus write..."
Rev 2:8 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN--Smyrna write..."
Rev 2:12 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN--Pergamum write..."
Rev 2:18 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN--Thyatira write..."
Rev 3:1 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN--Sardis write..."
Rev 3:7 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN---Philadelphia write..."
Rev 3:14 “And to the angel of THE CHURCH--IN Laodicea write..."

THE church...definite article used defining the one church of Jesus Christ. The only difference between them is location: IN--assembling together locally, in a described location; or AT a specific location.

The one church assembling in the locality called Ephesus or the local assembly of believers meeting together in Laodicea, etc.

Is the Scripture, in both the OT & NT consistent in showing this, besides just in Revelation? Yes.

Matt 16:18 "...I will build MY CHURCH & the gates of Hades will not prevail against IT.

Acts 2:1,41,44 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were ALL TOGETHER--IN--ONE PLACE...Those who received his word were baptized & about 3000 were ADDED--TO THE BELIEVERS--that day...And ALL who believed were TOGETHER & had all things in common

Acts 2:47 And THE LORD ADDED to THE CHURCH daily such as should be saved.

Matt 18:17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to THE CHURCH & if they refuse to listen even to THE CHURCH, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Acts 5:11 Great fear came upon THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY (church) & on all who heard these things.

Acts 5:12 The apostles performed many signs & wonders among THE PEOPLE & with one accord THE BELIEVERS--GATHERED TOGETHER--IN--Solomon’s Colonnade.

Acts 7:38 He {Moses} was--IN--THE ASSEMBLY (congregation)--IN--THE WILDERNESS, with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai & with our ancestors & he received living oracles TO PASS ON TO US.

Exodus 19:17 Then Moses brought THE PEOPLE out of the camp to MEET WITH GOD & they stood AT the foot of the mountain.

Acts 8:2,3 On that day a great persecution broke out against THE CHURCH--IN--Jerusalem & all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea & Samaria. God-fearing men buried Stephen & mourned deeply over him. But Saul began to destroy THE CHURCH. Going FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE, he dragged off men & women & put them in prison.

Acts 9:31 Then THE CHURCH--THROUGHOUT--Judea, Galilee & Samaria experienced a time of peace. IT GREW IN strength & numbers, living in the fear of the Lord & the encouragement of the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 89:7 God is greatly to be feared--IN--THE ASSEMBLY--OF THE SAINTS (HOLY ONES) & to be had in reverence of all them that are about Him.

Even in THE ASSEMBLY of the angels that surround the LORD--with myriads upon myriads of them--they also are described as the ONE assembly, though there are various kinds of angels.

"Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects within these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs & another might be Arminian (*spelling)."

This is true & all are man-made divisions contrary to Scriptural teaching or proclaim they are the ONLY church, putting down others & elevating themselves. If the one true church is being added to & built by the Head of the one body of Christ, by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, where is ANY BOASTING that we are THE RIGHT ONES

"Is it really practical...

to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations? Questions & comments?"

The teaching of denominationalism is man-made, man generated & not God designed nor Scripture approved.

There are multitudes more of verses that could be shared but these are more than sufficient to demonstrate what the Bible teaches about only one church, one flock, one body of Christ, one assembly of followers of Christ. We are commanded & are responsible, so far as it depends on us, to 'BE DILIGENT TO MAINTAIN THE UNITY OF THE SPIRIT IN THE BOND OF PEACE...until...WE ALL COME INTO THE UNITY OF THE FAITH..." (Eph 4)

I Cor 1:2 To THE CHURCH OF GOD--IN--CORINTH, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus & called to be HIS HOLY PEOPLE--TOGETHER WITH ALL THOSE EVERYWHERE WHO CALL ON THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, THEIR LORD & OURS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Denominations didn't exist until the 15th Century. They exist in violation of the plainly stated will of Jesus Christ concerning His followers - "that they all may be ONE, even as I and My heavenly Father are ONE". He knew that truth can exist only in unity, because truth cannot conflict with truth, and conflicting beliefs/teachings therefore necessarily mean false beliefs/teachings. The present state of Protestantism is exactly the opposite of what Jesus intended for His Church, which was and still is that all of His followers would be members of the ONE Church He founded, which He said was to remain ONE, to which He promised "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me".

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Denominations didn't exist until the 15th Century. They exist in violation of the plainly stated will of Jesus Christ concerning His followers - "that they all may be ONE, even as I and My heavenly Father are ONE". He knew that truth can exist only in unity, because truth cannot conflict with truth, and conflicting beliefs/teachings therefore necessarily mean false beliefs/teachings. The present state of Protestantism is exactly the opposite of what Jesus intended for His Church, which was & still is that all of His followers would be members of the ONE Church He founded, which He said was to remain ONE, to which He promised "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth" & "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven" & "He who hears you hears Me"."

Denominationalism DID NOT start or come into existence until the 15th Century. Any student of history would NOT become Catholic, knowing what history teaches concerning the one true church 'of all saints everywhere that call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord & ours.' (I Cor 1:2,3)

It was alive & well in THE CHURCH that met IN Corinth, around 52AD.

I Cor 1:2 RSVCE "To THE CHURCH which is AT--CORINTH, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, CALLED TO BE SAINTS, TOGETHER WITH ALL those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord & ours."

I Cor 1:10-13 RSVCE "I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree together, so that there may be NO DIVISIONS AMONG YOU & that you may be united in mind & conviction. My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: Individuals among you are saying,

“I follow Paul,”

“I follow Apollos”

“I follow Cephas”

“I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?

Romans 1:1-7 RSVCE
Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy scriptures, the gospel concerning His Son, Who was descended from David according to the flesh & designated Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by His resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace & apostleship to bring about THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH FOR THE SAKE OF HIS NAME AMONG ALL THE NATIONS--INCLUDING YOURSELVES--WHO ARE CALLED TO BELONG TO JESUS CHRIST.

7 To ALL GODS BELOVED--IN--ROME, who are CALLED TO BE SAINTS: grace & peace to you from God our Father & the Lord Jesus Christ.

There is only one church. Some of the called saints met in Corinth, some met all over the place that called upon their Lord & ours. If you want one exclusive church, it says, 'THE CHURCH OF GOD AT CORINTH. If ever anyone wanted to be exclusive, they could say that. But they didn't.

Some of God's beloved saints were found assembling together IN ROME, ALSO. They also were called to be saints, just like every other believer & follower of Christ who called upon Him as Lord--were saints. Saint simply means 'called out to be separate.' Believers are called out of the world & set apart for God's use & purposes.

Those who follow men are carnal & immature & promote men not Christ. Sadly, the Roman Catholic church fell into the error of man-made denominations by:

'I follow Cephas." The head of the Roman Catholic church is not Christ but the pope, the head of the Roman Catholic church, the vice

Pope Francis I will be taking on the awesome responsibility of leading a church with more than 1 billion followers, a job that comes with eight official titles — none of them "Pope."

To hear Dr. Terrence W. Tilley, Chair of the Theology Department at Fordham University, tell it, calling the pope "pope" is a little like calling your CEO "chief."

"'Pope' comes from the Italian 'papa,'" explains Tilley. "It's actually a colloquial term rather than a formal term. In America, we often use the phrase, especially the bishops — 'Holy Father,' 'Sancta Papa,' — which is where you get 'Pope.'"

The pope's proper title, according to the Vatican's website, is Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God.

Wow. Do we find that in Scripture? No. Those are all man-made, man generated titles.

St. Peter is considered by many to be the first Bishop of Rome, but Father Raymond Schroth of America Magazine says there is a fair amount of doubt surrounding that claim.

"Raymond Brown was the best scripture scholar we had, and he's written several things on this. (He) said it would be a mistake to say that Peter was the first pope, as if he were the founder of the church. That's an exaggeration. The evidence for Peter's presence in Rome is not airtight — that's a nice way of putting it.

Vicar of Jesus Christ, aka Vicar of Christ "A less formal title that is rooted in his primacy," says Tilley. "That is, his political headship of the universal church. So a vicar would be something like a vice regent. I believe it is a medieval or early modern title."

Successor of the Prince of the Apostles Another direct reference to St. Peter, who was deemed Prince of the Apostles on the strength of Jesus declaring in Matthew 16:18, "That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church." Another dubious claim, according to Schroth.

"Historically, this is a stretch, in the sense that the evidence is not there that Peter was the first leader of the church," says Schroth. "If you said to Peter, if you were to flash back in history and say, 'Are you the pope?,' he wouldn’t know what you were talking about. That term 'pope' did not come along for another couple hundred of years.

"This is a baroque title. It's one of those 'let's puff up the pope' titles," concedes Tilley.

Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church The word "pontiff" comes from the Latin "pontifex," meaning "bridge-builder." "Pontifex maximus" was the great bridge-builder of ancient Rome, a title held by the likes of Julius Caesar. Tilley believes the title was assumed by the Bishop of Rome post-Reformation, as an assertion of his "juridical and communicative status."

I can go on further but one thing is clear: the Lord Jesus Christ never gave up being the Head of the body of Christ, the one church HE IS CONTINUING TO BUILD, not Peter or any supposed successor of Peter.

There is no other HEAD of the body of Christ except Jesus. NO SURROGATE HEAD OR INSTEAD OF HEAD, ETC. He continues to remain the Head, representing His church & continues to add to the number of His one true church daily throughout the world. He has never ceased being the Head nor delegated it to others but continues to be the Head & all growth & believers come because Christ adds them to his church, all those from every tribe, nation, tongue, language, sect, etc. that call upon Him as Lord.

When we follow men & not Christ, we have gone astray. The Israelites didn't want God to be their head; they wanted a human king, a man to rule over them. God allowed that but was greatly disappointed that they chose that, telling His prophet that they had REJECTED Him. So He allowed it to happen, to their own demise, so often.

So when any local church meeting in a definite locality presumes to be the ONLY TRUE CHURCH--BEWARE. When they elevate men to rule OVER the laity (the error of the Nicolaitans in Revelation which JESUS HATED), then there is problems. That is what Nicolaitan means: 'nico' rule over and laiitan = laity.

The Holy Spirit is grieved when there is division in the one true church that Jesus Christ, as the one Head, is CONTINUING TO BUILD--no matter what certain churches claim. We don't unite under one church, we unite under the One Head & He builds His church. He gives us servant shepherds to help the body of Christ, but they are just that--servants who feed & shepherd the flock & give oversight.

Peter said that Himself.

I Peter 5:1-11 RSVCE So I exhort the elders AMONG YOU--AS A FELLOW ELDER--& a witness of the sufferings of Christ as well as a partaker in the glory that is to be revealed. Tend the flock of God that is your charge, not by constraint but willingly, not for shameful gain but eagerly, 3 not as domineering over those in your charge but BEING EXAMPLES to the flock. And when THE CHIEF SHEPHERD is manifested you will obtain the unfading crown of glory. Likewise you that are younger be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you. Cast all your anxieties on him, for He cares about you. Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your BROTHERHOOD THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, establish & strengthen you. 11 TO HIM BE THE DOMINION FOR EVER & EVER. Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ephesus-Started to veer away from their first love and not doing the works of the Gospel.

I agree. It's about not loving your neighbor (Which in turn is not loving God). Preaching the gospel is loving lost souls with the desire and hope to see them saved. For if we turn back after putting our hand to the plough, we are not fit for the Kingdom of God (See: Luke 9:62). But it is more than that, though. I believe it is also not helping the poor, and the unfortunate people in this life, as well (See Matthew 25:31-46). For if a person preaches the gospel, and then later steps over a poor person begging for money, they will end up like he rich-man in the story of Lazarus and the rich man. They can be for holiness and expose those living in certain wrong kinds of sin, but if they do not know how to love others and love God, they have lost their first love.

You said:
Smyrna-Some were teaching the way of the Old Covenant.

No. Nothing is said about this. Nothing negative was said of this church. There was only praise given to this church, and an exhortation to endure to the end in being faithful. The reference to Jews was to this church's recognizing of others claiming to be Jews and are not.

You said:
Pergamos-Balaam worshipers and those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans.

I believe the doctrine of the Nicolaitans is Antinomianism. This truth along with their involvement in a form of idolatry that is borrowed from another church helps us to identify who this church is today. Note: This church is close to 100 million in membership.

You said:
Thyatira - Accepted Jezebel as a prophetess and followed her ways.

Clearly idolatry is happening here. This should be easy to figure out.

You said:
Sardis-Unrepentant. Not holding fast to the truth of the Gospel.

I see it as they are not holding to the purpose or end goal of the gospel (i.e. It is a denial of the true teaching on holy living). Meaning: They teach that believers should generally live holy, but they also teach that one or two unrepentant grievous sins cannot separate you from God (like lying, lusting, hating, and committing suicide). Hence, why their works were not perfect before God. For they justified sin (on some small level).

You said:
Philadelphia-"you have kept My command to persevere"

This suggests obedience to the Lord's commands and not just a person claiming to believe in Jesus.

You said:
Laodiceans-Prosperity Gospel

Yes, I agree. This one is obvious.

You said:
Blessings

Blessings to you in the Lord, as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
An apt description. This definitely sounds like Protestants to me, especially evangelicals.

I have a different opinion on the identity of this church. What I have said so far should give you the clues to figure it out. I do not want to openly say the identity for all of these churches because it would be regarded as hate or discrimination of fellow brothers and sisters on the forums (and I could get points for it and then banned).

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a different opinion on the identity of this church. What I have said so far should give you the clues to figure it out. I do not want to openly say the identity for all of these churches because it would be regarded as hate or discrimination of fellow brothers and sisters on the forums (and I could get points for it and then banned).

So it's not an actual fist century congregation Jesus is addressing?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ's epistles to the seven congregations in Asia Minor had local significance and prophetic significance.

Are those mutually exclusive?
Was not the local significance also prophetic?

Locally and concurrent with the time of John's writing of Revelation each church had its particular character, problems and praises.

Did not Jesus promise to "come" to each of those local churches and hand out either reward or punishment based on their works?

Did He simply fail to follow through on that promise?

Each epistle also is a prophesy of the body of Christ throughout history. There is a lot of documentation proving this is so. Today, we are in the time of the church of Laodicia. It ends with the church of Laodicia.
What chapter and verse of scripture teaches this theory?

Upvote 0