Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up semi-Calvinist, semi-Arminian, if that makes sense to say; certainly not full monergist. Yet if you had pinned me down, I would have had to say that all that is good within me is of Christ and not of myself. I have since become full monergist because of that and many other things. However, I do not believe that getting the matter right determines correct "use of God", if you can say such a thing. The more Arminian, or at least Wesleyan leaning family members and relatives and brothers in Christ I find are Reformed in their prayer as I am, and I too, I suppose they would say, are like them in admitting, even demanding, that the will of the believer is totally involved in their life's choices.
i have no problem with this. Not meaning to be rude but how does this relate to the OP?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was aware that some of them were still existent up to the early 1900s. I actually study Balkan and Turkish history quite a bit. The church of Pergamos i thought died out 100s of years ago. Correct me if i'm wrong.
You are.

Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the 7 churches were referring to the true believers in an area or the congregated peoples who associated with the 'church' ?

Personally i believe it was referring to both. I know that RC Sproul claimed (in some of his sermons, perhaps i misinterpreted him) there has to be non believers within any given church. I don't believe thats true but do believe the Bible supports the idea that there is always a possibility of non believers within any given congregation. The reason i say RC Sproul said this is he gave a sermon in front of his church where he said there were some in his congregation who aren't saved or he may have even said they will not be saved. Perhaps i'm misquoting him but he has passed onto to Jesus Christ so i don't think i can hurt him to bad considering that fact.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
No. God was talking to 7 different churches of Christ. A denomination is a derivative out of a church of Christ.
In Him

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"The Hebrew קהלת is a feminine participle related to the root קהל meaning "to gather." Scholars are unsure if it means the "one who gathers" or the "one among the gathering.""
Comment on Ecclesiastes by syragon - DeviantArt

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the 7 churches speak of:

(a) Real churches that existed during the time of John,
(b) The spiritual state / beliefs of certain churches or individual Christians today.

Ephesus:

They are for good works and spotting out those who are not true apostles by their deeds, but they have lost their first love and they need to repent and do the first works (i.e. to love God, and to love their neighbor). This would be churches or individual Christians today who are for the proper teaching on holiness (i.e. they teach holiness is required for salvation) and are against Antinomianism, but they have become hard hearted against others and they stop loving others and loving God (Which is the first works). I have sadly seen this.

Smyrna:

Christians who are at the poverty level and who have a sincere heart in following the Lord.

Pergamum:

This church makes a particular object a form of idolatry, which is borrowed from another church and they hold to the Nicolaitans doctrine (Which is an Antinomian doctrine). I have a church in mind in who this is, but I am not allowed to slander certain churches by name openly on the forums as being wicked or bad (according to the forum rules). Hint: Their denomination name begins with an "L."

Thyatira:

Into idolatry heavily. Hint: 1 Timothy 4:3.

Sardis:

Their works are not perfect before God, and they are said to be dead. Hint: They are one of the big gorillas on the block.

Philadelphia:

Christians who are sold out to Christ in everything they do. They don't justify sin, and they encourage and inspire others to follow the Lord (and they genuinely love God and they love all people - but they don't love their sin).

Laodicea:

Seeing that this church movement is openly condemned on CF with no problems (that I have seen), I can say openly that this is the "prosperity gospel movement." For they are poor spiritually (morally), and yet they say that they are rich physically.

Note:

Not everyone has the same definition on Antinomianism. I believe others have a more liberal definition when it comes to their defining it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think the 7 churches speak of:

(a) Real churches that existed during the time of John,
(b) The spiritual state / beliefs of certain churches or individual Christians today.

Ephesus:

They are for good works and spotting out those who are not true apostles by their deeds, but they have lost their first love and they need to repent and do the first works (i.e. to love God, and to love their neighbor). This would be churches or individual Christians today who are for the proper teaching on holiness (i.e. they teach holiness is required for salvation) and are against true teaching on Antinomianism, but they have become hard hearted against others and they stop loving others and loving God (Which is the first works). I have sadly seen this.

Smyrna:

Christians who are at the poverty level and who have a sincere heart in following the Lord.

Pergamum:

This church makes a particular object a form of idolatry, which is borrowed from another church and they hold to the Nicolaitans doctrine (Which is an Antinomian doctrine). I have a church in mind in who this is, but I am not allowed to slander certain churches by name openly on the forums as being false or bad (according to the forum rules). Hint: Their denomination name begins with an "L."

Thyatira:

Into idolatry heavily. Hint: 1 Timothy 4:3.

Sardis:

Their works are not perfect before God, and they are said to be dead. Hint: They are the big gorilla on the block.

Philadelphia:

Christians who are sold out to Christ in everything they do. They don't justify sin, and they encourage and inspire others to follow the Lord (and they genuinely love God and they love all people - but they don't love their sin).

Laodicea:

Seeing that this church movement is openly condemned on CF with no problems (that I have seen), I can say openly that this is the "prosperity gospel movement." For they are poor spiritually (morally), and yet they say that they are rich physically.

I wonder if the meaning of the names of those assemblies tells a story...I know what Philadelphia means.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Seven Churches Chart - Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea

Found the above and it has a chart, including the meanings!

Ephesus:
First or desirable

Smyrna:
Myrrh or sweet fragrance

Pergamos:
Height, power, or elevation by marriage

Thyatira:
Sweet savor labor. Sacrifice of contrition

Sardis:
Those escaping or that which remain

Philadelphia:
Brotherly love

Laodicea:
Judging the people or a just people

*According to that site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seven Churches Chart - Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea

Found the above and it has a chart, including the meanings!

Ephesus:
First or desirable

Smyrna:
Myrrh or sweet fragrance

Pergamos:
Height, power, or elevation by marriage

Thyatira:
Sweet savor labor. Sacrifice of contrition

Sardis:
Those escaping or that which remain

Philadelphia:
Brotherly love

Laodicea:
Judging the people or a just people

*According to that site.

I think if we read the text and truly examine how each church might fit in the real world today with certain believers or church organizations or groups, I think that the Lord is warning us to avoid certain things, and to be faithful to the correct things in His Word.

The basic overall character admonition (which is for our life) I see from the seven churches is:

#1. Flee idolatry,
#2. Do not be tricked by taking on similar practices of other churches that are idolatrous,
#3. Stay away from the desire to be rich,
#4. Live a holy life and teach others this, and do not justify a sin and still be saved type belief,
#5. Most important of all (but not a neglect of the other things):
Love God and love all people.

Number 4 on my list above may not be what some people think holiness actually is. There are many who appear to teach holiness, but yet they believe you can commit one or two grievous unrepentant sins (like lying, committing suicide, hating, etc.) and still be saved (as long as you generally lived a holy life). However, this is not the true teaching on holiness according to the Bible.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do these chapter summaries of the book of Ecclesiastes line up with the name meanings of the seven churches at all?:

A summary of each chapter in the Book of Ecclesiastes

Chapter 1:

There are powerful forces in this world, but even the greatest people are really very weak.

Chapter 2:

Work, wealth and pleasure cannot satisfy people.

Chapter 3:

God makes everything beautiful at the proper time.

Chapter 4:

People’s efforts are often without any real purpose.

Chapter 5:

Respect God, and do not love money.

Chapter 6:

Success in life does not satisfy a person’s real needs.

Chapter 7:

As people are guilty of many wrong and evil deeds, they must think about their lives seriously.

Chapter 8:

The process of judgements in this world does not give a good life to everyone.

Chapter 9:

The same kinds of events happen in everybody’s lives, but people should still desire wisdom.

Chapter 10:

Foolish desires and lazy attitudes cause serious troubles.

Chapter 11:

Most people are not preparing in a sensible manner for the day when God will be their judge.

Chapter 12:

Only a right relationship with God can prepare you for old age, death, and the judgement of God.

A summary of each chapter in the Book of Ecclesiastes

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I see 7 for 7...with 5 left over

"The first seven chapters of the book of Ecclesiastes describe all of the worldly things “under the sun” that the Preacher tries to find fulfillment in. He tries scientific discovery (1:10-11), wisdom and philosophy (1:13-18), mirth (2:1), alcohol (2:3), architecture (2:4), property (2:7-8), and luxury (2:8). The Preacher turned his mind towards different philosophies to find meaning, such as materialism (2:19-20), and even moral codes (including chapters 8-9). He found that everything was meaningless, a temporary diversion that, without God, had no purpose or longevity."
Book of Ecclesiastes - Bible Survey

"Chapters 8-12 of Ecclesiastes describe the Preacher’s suggestions and comments on how a life should be lived. He comes to the conclusion that without God, there is no truth or meaning to life. He has seen many evils and realized that even the best of man’s achievements are worth nothing in the long run. So he advises the reader to acknowledge God from youth (12:1) and to follow His will (12:13-14)"
Book of Ecclesiastes - Bible Survey

Also consider:

The Five Crowns and Five Judgments

And:

Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth - Chapter 5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think if we read the text and truly examine how each church might fit in the real world today with certain believers or church organizations or groups, I think that the Lord is warning us to avoid certain things, and to be faithful to the correct things in His Word.

The basic overall character admonition (which is for our life) I see from the seven churches is:

#1. Flee idolatry,
#2. Do not be tricked by taking on similar practices of other churches that are idolatrous,
#3. Stay away from the desire to be rich,
#4. Live a holy life and teach others this, and do not justify a sin and still be saved type belief,
#5. Most important of all (but not a neglect of the other things):
Love God and love all people.

Number 4 on my list above may not be what some people think holiness actually is. There are many who appear to teach holiness, but yet they believe you can commit one or two grievous unrepentant sins (like lying, committing suicide, hating, etc.) and still be saved (as long as you generally lived a holy life). However, this is not the true teaching on holiness according to the Bible.

Ecclesiastes 7; Revelation 18

Ecclesiastes 9; Ecclesiastes 10; Revelation 21; Revelation 22 - New International Version - NIV - Bible Study Tools

http://www.misselbrook.org.uk/Articles/eccles.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] these are the seven stages of Church history as a whole as well as individually; ending with the last stage of Church history being indifference to right and wrong, or good and evil: a toleration of modifying righteousness to accommodate sin shall be the mark of the Churches last stage in history.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The churches also fit in a timeline, in which Revelation is a book of prophecies relating to future events...

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass.... - Revelation 1:1

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
In John's time there was only one church. What is being described are merely churches in different localities. There were no denominations at that time. Augustine, Calvin and Arminius were not even born at that time. Departures from orthodox doctrine were treated as heresies, for example, the Gnostics and Arians. These were not recognised as Christian churches at all. They would be as pseudo-christian sects, not Christian denominations.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0