Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As given?
No, AS GIVEN, they are 7 actual congregations of Living, breathing people in Asia Minor in the 1st century.

What you propose is a later invention and tradition of men added to the text.
Such is taught nowhere in the pages of scripture.

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

If the meaning was to these seven churches only, then this is no mystery, or mystērion in the Greek.

Outline of Biblical Usage 1 Corinthians 13:2; 1 Corinthians 14:2; (of the secret rites of the Gentiles, Wis. 14:15, 23).
2. a hidden purpose or counsel; secret will: of men, τοῦ βασιλέως, Tobit 12:7, 11; τῆς βουλῆς αὐτοῦ, Judith 2:2; of God: μυστήρια Θεοῦ, the secret counsels which govern God in dealing with the righteous, which are hidden from ungodly and wicked men but plain to the godly... - - Greek Full Meaning of Mystery, or Mysterion in the Greek(KJV)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If only you people would set all this aside and just read it and let Father speak to you, you would get it. Come to him as a child.
thanks. Jesus said to be as wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove for he sends us out among wolves. Also the first chapter of the book of Proverbs describes this.

Reactions: Calvin_1985
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
frogoon234 said:
the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
Personally, I believe that John was literally writing to 7 churches in Asia Minor in the first century. Here's a map of what the area looked like at the time of John's letters. John was incarcerated at the island of Patmos at the time:
200px-Seven_churches_of_asia.svg.png

From Gorman, Michael J. (2011-01-01). Reading Revelation Responsibly: Uncivil Worship and Witness: Following the Lamb into the New Creation (Kindle Locations 2103-2107). Cascade Books, an imprint of Wipf and Stock Publishers. Kindle Edition:
Immediately, we should realize that Revelation is book more for poets than logicians. When we dissect it like a proof in geometry class, we destroy what’s there. It’s rather like trying to appreciate Van Gogh one pointillist pixel at a time. It’s how it all fits together that creates the picture and the beauty.

It’s not that we’re supposed to understand exactly how Jesus can be both the Ancient of Days and the son of man in Daniel’s prophecies. Rather, we are to celebrate this fact. Church councils are welcome to wrestle with the philosophical implications and search for language to reconcile the paradox. The Revelation wasn’t written to answer the metaphysical questions. It was written to declare the true nature of the Savior and to glory in it.

The Seven Letters

When we read these seven messages, we are struck by two major problems that the churches are confronting: the reality of various kinds of persecution, and the strong temptation to accommodate, with accommodation perhaps being seen by some as the way to avoid or stop persecution. The seven messages tell us that there is a wide spectrum within the churches, from the highly accommodating to those who are persecuted—undoubtedly for not accommodating.

(Kindle Locations 2238-2240).

While each church receives a message reflecting its own situation, there is one overarching issue: whether or not to compromise. Specifically, will these churches be faithful witnesses both to Jesus and like Jesus (and John!) by refraining from participation in the cultural norm of pagan religion, including the imperial cult, even if it entails serious consequences: social, economic, and political? Will they join the Nicolaitans, Balaamites, followers of Jezebel, and Laodiceans who are participating in various forms of compromise and accommodation, which John labels idolatry, or will they abstain—“come out” (18:4)—and be willing to suffer like John, like Antipas of Pergamum (2:13), and like Jesus himself?

These assemblies of believers are participating in a struggle, even in a war—the war of the Lamb. The Lamb is there with them, as their shepherd and example, calling them to renewed devotion. They will be victorious in this war, not by wielding swords, but by following Jesus in “uncivil” worship [that is, worship not tied to the civil government] and faithful witness. But some of them, at least, are at risk of losing the cosmic battle, and of course John wants them to win. They all need to be faithful witnesses, which may mean actual martyrdom for some.

(Kindle Locations 2321-2331).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Revelation 1:20 - Revelation 2:1

If the meaning was to these seven churches only, then this is no mystery, or mystērion in the Greek.

Outline of Biblical Usage 1 Corinthians 13:2; 1 Corinthians 14:2; (of the secret rites of the Gentiles, Wis. 14:15, 23).
2. a hidden purpose or counsel; secret will: of men, τοῦ βασιλέως, Tobit 12:7, 11; τῆς βουλῆς αὐτοῦ, Judith 2:2; of God: μυστήρια Θεοῦ, the secret counsels which govern God in dealing with the righteous, which are hidden from ungodly and wicked men but plain to the godly... - - Greek Full Meaning of Mystery, or Mysterion in the Greek(KJV)

In which, I believe the mystery encompasses the seven candlesticks, stars, and seals....

Seven messengers - The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: - Rev 1:20 - Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; - Rev 2:1
The seven denominations - the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20
Sealing the Lamb's Book of Life -
1. And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5

If this is not the Lamb's Book of Life why all the ado? Therefore I say ....

Seven denominatons seal the seven chapters in the book of life, who were populated by the seven groups of ministers, all held in the right hand .

254811_e2605e7ea7d44a55b55ec8f9edea64a9.png

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if you saw some of my previous posts about this. But its hard to say exactly but different fruits are sometimes an indicator of different beliefs. The book of Revelation is known for being vague.
Different fruits indicate different beliefs? I mean if we are talking about different religions, I could see that. But the fruit of the Spirit is the fruit produced by the Holy Spirit as we surrender our lives to His control.

Fruit isn't necessarily the product of different beliefs. In fact, what we see in the seven churches isn't so much different beliefs but different responses to persecution. What we see are some churches that endure persecution, and then we see Laodicea which completely caves into the world system.

I am also not sure how anyone can say that the book of Revelation is "vague." God has no purpose in being vague. The book of Revelation is written to be an encouragement to the seven churches listed in chapters 2 and 3. If God was being vague, it would not be very encouraging as a book of God's final victory or sin and the Devil. We may not have the light to understand all of the imagery at this point, but the book is anything but vague.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Spirit of Jezebel, as mentioned to the Thyatireons, is to control and dominate. I do not wish such control freaks to rule my life!

Now I am not saying that the Catholic Church is the church of Thyatira, but the structure invites a spirit of control and domination, such as Saint John wrote in his epistle...

9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God. - Bible Gateway passage: 3 John - King James Version

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I read it - the mystery is that the 7 churches are depicted in John's vision as lampstands.

Revelation 1:20 ~ "As for the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches."

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?
Having studied what I believe to be the history of the church and christianity post reformation , it seems to me that our theology is not what is going to have many believers surprised when Jesus says " Depart from me ye who work iniquity , I never knew you . "
Although theology does play a part ..for example . The once saved always saved group will not heed the words of Jesus to the churches to repent because they are saved . This is one of the dangers . ( As a side note , only believers can repent . Atheist and unbelievers will not see a need to . )
I do not see this as denominations. The body of Christ as a whole needs to become "disenchanted with this world " but as the churches are democratic in their government , I think it will be difficult .

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Now I am not saying that the Catholic Church is the church of Thyatira, but the structure invites such a spirit of control and domination, such as Saint John wrote in his epistle...

9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God. - Bible Gateway passage: 3 John - King James Version
Hi Sister ...Not a spirit of control and domination only . For her own glory she dominated a weak ruler Ahab who was covetous . He married a foreign wife ( weak ) . Let her introduce ungodliness through the worship of Baal and Ashroth . ( Weak ) ...We say it today like this " If Momma ain't happy , ain't nobody happy . " In other words , a weak and ungodly man keeps his wife happy NOT because he really loves her nor God but rather so he himself can be happy .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different fruits indicate different beliefs? I mean if we are talking about different religions, I could see that. But the fruit of the Spirit is the fruit produced by the Holy Spirit as we surrender our lives to His control.

Fruit isn't necessarily the product of different beliefs. In fact, what we see in the seven churches isn't so much different beliefs but different responses to persecution. What we see are some churches that endure persecution, and then we see Laodicea which completely caves into the world system.

I am also not sure how anyone can say that the book of Revelation is "vague." God has no purpose in being vague. The book of Revelation is written to be an encouragement to the seven churches listed in chapters 2 and 3. If God was being vague, it would not be very encouraging as a book of God's final victory or sin and the Devil. We may not have the light to understand all of the imagery at this point, but the book is anything but vague.

i disagree

Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having studied what I believe to be the history of the church and christianity post reformation , it seems to me that our theology is not what is going to have many believers surprised when Jesus says " Depart from me ye who work iniquity , I never knew you . "
Although theology does play a part ..for example . The once saved always saved group will not heed the words of Jesus to the churches to repent because they are saved . This is one of the dangers . ( As a side note , only believers can repent . Atheist and unbelievers will not see a need to . )
I do not see this as denominations. The body of Christ as a whole needs to become "disenchanted with this world " but as the churches are democratic in their government , I think it will be difficult .

I believe OSAS is superior to NOSAS but we can discuss this on one of the many NOSAS/OSAS threads. I would not like to discuss it on this forum topic. Or you can send a message to me as my profile says.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe OSAS is superior to NOSAS but we can discuss this on one of the many NOSAS/OSAS threads. I would not like to discuss it on this forum topic. Or you can send a message to me as my profile says.
As you say ...one of the many OSAS threads . If there were not scriptural validity to being able to believe either , there would be no thread ...and that was actually one of my points . No , I do not wish to discuss it for I do not believe it to be profitable . I believe there is probably brothers and sisters in both camps but again , I do see that Jesus tells the various churches to repent.

Of course atheist can only repent after becoming a believer for they will not see the need . Additionally , atheist did not crucify Jesus , burn heretics at the stake or any number of things which are not biblically approved . Atheist have no qualms of being unequally yoked with unbelievers in defense of a country or the pursuit of wealth and status . Why in the world would an atheist despise worldly ambition?

No , I believe the call to repentance is always for believers. and believers natural tendency is to apostasy...to losing our first love . For that is one of the origins of denominations although I do not see how it could have been different for obviously Martin Luther could not remain where he was .

Preach the word , in season and out of season , reprove , rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine for the time is coming when men will not endure sound doctrine ....again ...this is believers . likeminded people unable to reason or be wrong and confident that they are right . Very bizzare isn't it ?

• Agree
Reactions: frogoon234
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe those seven denominations would be Messianic, Early Gentile, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist and the churches of the great awakening, and Charismatic.

You covered them all!

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

questions and comments?

First and foremost they are seven literal churches that John wrote to that had the speicifc issues JOhn wrote about!

Second they are seven eras of the church age that are characterized by a specific attitude expressed by the meanings of the names of the church.

Third they are seven attitudes believers can hold. One can be an Ephesians Christian and lose their first love, a Philadelphian Christian with evangelicasl fervor, or the worst- a laodecian christian who is Christian in name only.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums