• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by frogoon234, Apr 24, 2019.

1. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    the 7 denominations of the book of Revelation:

I feel people parse words when they say its wrong to belong to a particular denomination. I feel the way the book of Revelation describes the 7 churches is really describing denominations and not separate churches (in philosophical sense). Some major churches in existence now actually have different sects with in these churches that radically are different from other sects. One might be very Augustinian or Calvinist in their beliefs and another might be Arminian (*spelling). Is it really practical to get upset when some one says they are of a certain denomination as though there is not a biblical concept of denominations?

questions and comments?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+5,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I believe those seven denominations would be Messianic, Early Gentile, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist and the churches of the great awakening, and Charismatic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. rockytopva

+5,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Are we living in Laodicean times?

4. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,029
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The seven Churches of the Revelation are not "denominations". They are Churches in different cities.

5. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    thats fair.

6. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    but they each are described as having different theological beliefs and different fruits that they bare

7. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the pAmen, qthe faithful and true witness, rthe beginning of God’s creation.

15 “ ‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. sWould that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 tFor you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, ublind, and naked. 18 I counsel you vto buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and wwhite garments so that you may clothe yourself and xthe shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, uso that you may see. 19 yThose whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and zknock. aIf anyone hears my voice and opens the door, bI will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 cThe one who conquers, dI will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as eI also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 pHe who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’ ”

its certainly possible. Without getting into my own theology i believe we live in either the church of Philadelphia (doubtful) or the 7th church mentioned Laodicia.

8. HTacianas

+4,029
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    They don't have different beliefs. They are warned against heresies that have slipped in among them.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. TuxAme

TuxAme Quis ut Deus? Supporter

+3,006
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    They're not denominations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A common theme in philosophy is that different beliefs in theology and philosophy can sometimes alter the way we make decisions. This is why i think each of those churches had different or slightly different theological beliefs.

11. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,049
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    ...I always thought they were candle stands...

12. HTacianas

+4,029
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The Revelation does not describe any differences in beliefs among the seven churches. It only warns them against heresies creeping in and admonishes them to continue their good works.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Its possible. I'll have to reread it.

14. Tone

+1,049
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    ...or they would have their lamp stand removed...

15. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Candle stands? Why do you say that?

16. Tone

+1,049
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
  17. frogoon234

frogoon234 Active Member

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    oh ok. the first post was really short

18. ewq1938

ewq1938 Chewbacca kree! Supporter

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I have thought the same way. I view the 7 churches as representing 7 versions or denominations or belief systems within the church before the tribulation begins with their own particular similarities and differences.

19. Tone

+1,049
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    STRONGS NT 3087: λυχνία

λυχνία, λυχνίας, ἡ, a later Greek word for the earlier λυχνίον, see Lob. ad Phryn., p. 313f; (Wetstein (1752) on Matthew 5:15; Winers Grammar, 24); the Sept. for מְנורָה; a (candlestick) lampstand, candelabrum: Matthew 5:15; Mark 4:21; Luke 8:16; (Luke 11:33); Hebrews 9:2; the two eminent prophets who will precede Christ's return from heaven in glory are likened to 'candlesticks,' Revelation 11:4 (Buttmann, 81 (70); Winer's Grammar, 536 (499)); to the seven 'candlesticks' (Exodus 25:37 (A. V. lamps; cf. B. D. (especially the American edition), under the word )) also the seven more conspicuous churches of Asia are compared in Revelation 1:12f, 20; Revelation 2:1; κινεῖν τήν λυχνίαντίνος (ἐκκλησίας) ἐκ τοῦ τόπου αὐτῆς, to move a church out of the place which it has hitherto held among the churches; to take it out of the number of churches, remove it altogether, Revelation 2:5

*Revelation 2:5 Interlinear: remember, then, whence thou hast fallen, and reform, and the first works do; and if not, I come to thee quickly, and will remove thy lamp-stand from its place -- if thou mayest not reform;

**That word "reform" is interesting...

20. rockytopva

+5,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    sevenages_zps36af611f.png

Seven denominatons seal the seven chapters in the book of life, who were populated by the seven groups of ministers, all held in the right hand of Christ Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List