Berlin
✟72,432.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When we sinful men establish so-called "standards of holiness" ("Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch" Colossians 2:21)
This is not what holiness is in the NT. The only command in the sermon of the mount that may be described in such a way is Mt 7:6 (I don't describe it that way). Or look into the admonitions in Paul's letters.

The Holy Spirit makes us holy, not by placing elaborate quizzes and then scoring us by how many points we earn; but by conforming us to Christ, by keeping us in Christ by faith.
Agreed. What I am terrified of is that brand of "Lutheran Orthodoxy" which simply denies we should fight against sins. I once read that some theologican (in the 18th century?) even claimed his sins were the sign that he was no papal disbeliever of the Gospel …

In baptism we have been made holy.
In the Lord's Supper we are made holy.
In the hearing of God's word, we are made holy.
Being baptized, going to church to listen to the Bible (as taught by the pastor) and attaining Lord's supper - your words can be interpreted in such a way that James 2 should be read as a warning this is not enough.

I suppose it was Luther who once said that you can fall down from the horse on both sides. You warned only against one side, I warn about the other side.

Upvote 0