South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because no where is a full time minimum wage enough for a double apartment and like only 5% can afford a single, people work their butts off to be poor, and good on you, what about the other 50% of americans living under pvoverty line while working full time?

Just because you managed to get through it doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to work for peanuts.

The most recent official poverty rate was 11.8%
Income and Poverty in the United States: 2018

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theres 14 million working age people more than there are job vacancies. And the jobs that have been destroyed by the crisis are those low paying retail, restaurant, bar, customer service jobs that you are talking about. There is no sign that those jobs are coming back any time soon.

Can you cite this please?
Also thats 4.2% of the population. So not extremely widespread

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had meals that weren't with a Dime.
But some one spent a lot of time making it.

Your marketable skills have to have value in order to be paid a decent wage.

Saffron is a prime example...it usually is some of the lowest cost labor to process the most expensive spice. Garlic peelers barely earn their food and housing. (Usually prison labor)

So living wages are again personal responsibility...not someone getting rich off of someone else's labor.

This is why in certain parts of the world people grow and harvest poppy instead of wheat. They get three times the money for poppy as wheat or corn. They at least take personal choices as the results of their wages... unlike Americans who want to blame someone else for their poor choices.

Blame shifting is as old as Adam, Eve, and the snake. It didn't work out for them and it has the same effectiveness today.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Can you cite this please?
Also thats 4.2% of the population. So not extremely widespread
Still trying to find link,but remember I'm referring to working age population. And what I said still holds the pandemic had destroyed millions of entry level jobs in customer facing industries.

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still trying to find link,but remember I'm referring to working age population. And what I said still holds the pandemic had destroyed millions of entry level jobs in customer facing industries.

Oh good point. Sorry about that. It goes up to 6.5%
I agree the job loss during this pandemic is an issue. The People (read government) have to decide if its better to lose jobs or lift quarantine and risk a number of lives.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh good point. Sorry about that. It goes up to 6.5%
I agree the job loss during this pandemic is an issue. The People (read government) have to decide if its better to lose jobs or lift quarantine and risk a number of lives.
The problem with both the US and UK govts has been the consistency of messaging. Trump supports masks one week, then tweets support of anti maskers the next, and don't get me started about Dominic Cummings!

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with both the US and UK govts has been the consistency of messaging. Trump supports masks one week, then tweets support of anti maskers the next, and don't get me started about Dominic Cummings!

We are watching this entire thing real time. Research and information ebs and flows daily and every time they get info they feel the need to change everything and announce it. Then the next day they find out something else that changes their mind. I wish I had an answer.
When its all over everyone will know "what should have been done" but thats because hindsight is 20/20.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We are watching this entire thing real time. Research and information ebs and flows daily and every time they get info they feel the need to change everything and announce it. Then the next day they find out something else that changes their mind. I wish I had an answer.
When its all over everyone will know "what should have been done" but thats because hindsight is 20/20.
True, but that is still no excuse for Trump's Tweets and failure to lead. He is more worried over being reelected,than and his own ego than the good of the US.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True, but that is still no excuse for Trump's Tweets and failure to lead. He is more worried over being reelected,than and his own ego than the good of the US.
What is he doing to try to get reelected?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟263,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
What is he doing to try to get reelected?

Keep the economy going no matter how many lives would be lost in the process. Unfortunately the number of COVID cases is getting to the point where the economy is going to start to crumble no matter what Trump does. He can’t out talk nor outrun reality on this one. And the United States is worse off because he attempted it and failed.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Keep the economy going no matter how many lives would be lost in the process. Unfortunately the number of COVID cases is getting to the point where the economy is going to start to crumble no matter what Trump does. He can’t out talk nor outrun reality on this one. And the United States is worse off because he attempted it and failed.

One thing that should be on the horizon soon least in new york and such, is if immunity only lasts 3 or so months, then the people who caught it the first time should be starting to recatch it if they aren't careful, and considering even healthy people have damage from covid, hate to think what might happen.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing that should be on the horizon soon least in new york and such, is if immunity only lasts 3 or so months, then the people who caught it the first time should be starting to recatch it if they aren't careful, and considering even healthy people have damage from covid, hate to think what might happen.

I'm thinking that we could be looking at some very sobering numbers this fall and winter... especially around the holidays.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm thinking that we could be looking at some very sobering numbers this fall and winter... especially around the holidays.

Of course I hope that they are wrong about it not lasting, but the peak of july could be seeing second wave. Yeah, I keep thinking I'm opver reacting as I have a TON of soup and such hoarded up *only a bit at a time* but with the potential for fall/winter to be really bad till vaccine, I rather be eating a lot of soup and having friends over to get through it, then have my town get covid really bad and have to get food.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As to the landlords though remember unless they have paid off their house and that house or houses they still have bills to pay ( plus additional bills of their own and to maintain the rental property or properties, so if they were to evict on the grounds that THEIR creditors were going to foreclose or shut off services to them are they really being unreasonable?
Most landlords should have enough money to carry them through months of not receiving rent. That is their responsibility. They shouldn't be reliant on collecting rent. Many landlords are forgiving, reducing, and/or deferrring rent for their tenants if they are good tenants (and sometimes even if they're not). A landlord with morals would do that and they are out there. A landlord who is unable to pay their creditors can't blame their tenants. Vacancies are part of landlording just like unexpected repairs, etc.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most landlords should have enough money to carry them through months of not receiving rent. That is their responsibility. They shouldn't be reliant on collecting rent. Many landlords are forgiving, reducing, and/or deferrring rent for their tenants if they are good tenants (and sometimes even if they're not). A landlord with morals would do that and they are out there. A landlord who is unable to pay their creditors can't blame their tenants. Vacancies are part of landlording just like unexpected repairs, etc.
One could say the same thing for tenants. But this pandemic is well past six months.

Upvote 0