Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or maybe one likes having the time to do other things then working all day for a pittance. If i had the option to spend my limited time working menial labor for a pittance or doing things I love and getting far more then I could make working, the choice is obvious.

Do you really think there are only two options? If I only had two options, I would hope that I was wise enough to base my decision on which option did the most good and the least harm rather than basing it on which one gave me the most pleasure.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't understand why everyone harps on minimum wage. I worked through high school at minimum wage, gaining experience and knowledge. Started as a sales associate, then a bag boy. Worked up to assistant manager. Used that experience to get a job in banking. Got raises in banking to double what minimum wage was at the time.AAll without a degree.
More direct to the OP.... it needed to end some time. However maybe the eviction hold could have been held out a little longer.
Good for you. Your experience is not universal.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you really think there are only two options? If I only had two options, I would hope that I was wise enough to base my decision on which option did the most good and the least harm rather than basing it on which one gave me the most pleasure.
Yes, for many people the only two options are a low-paying dead end job or no job at all.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good for you. Your experience is not universal.

But why...that is what I'm saying. What is the reason? Is it because everyone is out to get some people, or is it because those people don't work for what they want/need and accept defeat?

Some biblical backing to working...even if you could get more money from being lazy.
Proverbs 13:4
Proverbs 14:23
2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
1 Timothy 5:8

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
But why...that is what I'm saying. What is the reason? Is it because everyone is out to get some people, or is it because those people don't work for what they want/need and accept defeat?

Some biblical backing to working...even if you could get more money from being lazy.
Part of it could just be generational. Employers are just less likely to pay high wages now. They know that people will just accept what they can get, because having food and a roof over their head is vital and some money is better then no money. The argument against a minimum wage, or raising the minimum wage, assumes a completely free market. In that sort of market people would withhold their labor if they weren't happy with the price being offered for it. But the need for survival overrides that.

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of it could just be generational. Employers are just less likely to pay high wages now. They know that people will just accept what they can get, because having food and a roof over their head is vital and some money is better then no money. The argument against a minimum wage, or raising the minimum wage, assumes a completely free market. In that sort of market people would withhold their labor if they weren't happy with the price being offered for it. But the need for survival overrides that.

I can agree that management does not want to pay higher salaries generally. I also agree that the need to survive and provide should and does push one to work for even minimum wage. I also know there will always be people without any drive who will take and take while giving as little of themselves as possible and complain when people won't give them more. I still believe that if you want more than minimum wage its out there and attainable to anyone who puts forth the effort.
Those who do have the means should take care of the poor and needy, widowed and orphaned....but there should be some discernment in regards to how that's done and where money goes. Unfortunately goverment assistance isn't very good about ensuring money is used appropriately.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I still believe that if you want more than minimum wage its out there and attainable to anyone who puts forth the effort.
I'm sure you find that belief comforting.

Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Having been poor, I can tell you that trying to get by is a great deal of work.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm acquainted with an eviction attorney practicing in California.

Actually physically evicting someone takes a long time... almost a year in some cases.

For those who actually are making an effort to be responsible for rent most landlords are reasonable people.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Actually physically evicting someone takes a long time... almost a year in some cases.

For those who actually are making an effort to be responsible for rent most landlords are reasonable people.
It's a terrible dilemma for small-time landlords because they often have low profit margins in economic downturns. I live in an area that is still selling lots of houses and rental demand is high. That drives prices up, and people most likely to be unemployed (service workers, for example now are getting squeezed.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

In California, eviction law varies widely nationally.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having been poor, I can tell you that trying to get by is a great deal of work.

I understand and I feel for that. I am not attempting to minimize being poor. I am not wealthy myself. I just take personal responsibility for my own situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

savedthroughgrace

Aug 21, 2018
South
✟34,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I wonder how many were making only a marginal amount more then the minimum wage.

See post above. I forgot to insert the quote.
Unfortunately finding the specific answer to your question is difficult, and would also require us to agree on an acceptable threshold.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a terrible dilemma for small-time landlords because they often have low profit margins in economic downturns. I live in an area that is still selling lots of houses and rental demand is high. That drives prices up, and people most likely to be unemployed (service workers, for example now are getting squeezed.

People who take a risk with buying investment property and having a mortgage on it feel so robbed when tenants don't pay rent while destroying the property they are supposed to take care of.

Would you like to pay rent or buy a house for someone you don't know?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No the problem is them, not the money.

No it's that they literally don't get enough doing regular work, if 600 unemployment is enough to keep them from working then their jobs pays are the issue. I HATE the american idea that some people arn't worth being paid living wages. Thats corruption at it's best.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand why everyone harps on minimum wage. I worked through high school at minimum wage, gaining experience and knowledge. Started as a sales associate, then a bag boy. Worked up to assistant manager. Used that experience to get a job in banking. Got raises in banking to double what minimum wage was at the time.AAll without a degree.
More direct to the OP.... it needed to end some time. However maybe the eviction hold could have been held out a little longer.

Because no where is a full time minimum wage enough for a double apartment and like only 5% can afford a single, people work their butts off to be poor, and good on you, what about the other 50% of americans living under pvoverty line while working full time?

Just because you managed to get through it doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to work for peanuts.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Theres 14 million working age people more than there are job vacancies. And the jobs that have been destroyed by the crisis are those low paying retail, restaurant, bar, customer service jobs that you are talking about. There is no sign that those jobs are coming back any time soon.

Upvote 0