Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have already remarked on the fact that Pope Francis made a non-Catholic a Doctor of the Catholic Church. St. Gregory Narek was a monk in the Armenian Apostolic Church, who died in the early 11th century.

I also wrote a post on how Eastern Catholic Churches have brought Orthodox saints with them into the Catholic Church. This includes figures like the Patriarch Photius, who strongly criticized the Papacy and Catholic Trinitarian theology (although who did die in communion with Rome). Occasionally, it has included embracing Orthodox saints from after the time of reunion, such as Churches in the Slavonic tradition celebrating St. Seraphim of Sarov (1754-1833), a Russian monk who was included in the revision of the martyrology by John Paul II.

Pope Francis has done something similar, although with no liturgical precedent (no prior liturgical celebration by Catholics), with the 21 Coptic Martyrs, martyred in Libya in 2015. He stated:

I am glad to announce today that, with the consent of Your Holiness, these 21 martyrs will be inserted into the Roman Martyrology as a sign of the spiritual communion uniting our two Churches. . . . May the prayer of the Coptic martyrs, united with that of the Theotokos, continue to grow the friendship between our Churches, until the blessed day when we can celebrate together at the same altar and commune in the same Body and Blood of the Savior, ‘that the world may believe.’

Catholic News Agency, 5/11/23
Pope Tawadros II, head of Coptic Orthodox Church, gifted relics of the martyr to the Pope. He stated:

Continued below.