The 15 "promises" of Mary are...disturbing to say the least

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read how Mary has given "promises to all those who faithfully say the Rosary...what I found was shocking. Ill give my commentary on each promise.

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
"Serve me"?? Um NO! We only serve Jesus.
  1. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
    Mary cannot give out "graces"

2. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

So by repeating written prayers while holding beads will do all of those things mentioned above? I think you would get MUCH better results praying directly to God alone.
  3. The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
    No comments really.

4. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
    Really? So by reciting and making devotion to Mary will make sure we don't go to Hell. I don't buy it one bit, Scriptures say its through Christ alone through believing on him that we don't perish.

5. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
    Again, none of this is scriptural or sounds like something from God.

6. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
    Is she referring to physical death or spiritual? Either way sacraments don't save us only Jesus does.

7. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenititude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
    OK, so reciting hail marys will be the thing that lets me have Gods graces...not Jesus death on the cross huh?

8. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
    Purgatory isn't in the bible, and even if that were so I doubt Mary has the power to do that since she didn't die on the Cross from my sins. Why would I have to go to purgatory anyway all my sins are paid for at the foot of the Cross??

9. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
    So those who don't recite it will merit a lesser degree of Glory in Heaven? OK sure...and merit mean earn...we cant EARN heaven!!!

10. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
    So Mary can you get me a new car and iPhone?:)

11. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
    Nah, Jesus will do that for me :)

12. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
    Biblical references??

13. All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
    Well I guess I don't particularly disagree with this, Mary is the mother of my Lord.

14. Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination
So Mary is a Calvinist now?:)

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read how Mary has given "promises to all those who faithfully say the Rosary...what I found was shocking. Ill give my commentary on each promise.

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.

1. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

2. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

3. The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

4. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

5. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.

6. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.

7. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenititude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.

9. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.

11. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

12. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.

13. All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.

Peace be with you.

I believe Her. Those Promises are for Those who Pray the Holy Rosary. They don't apply for Unbelievers. Don't worry about it.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
  3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
  4. The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
  6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
  7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenititude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
  9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
  10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
  11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
  12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
  14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

The Promises sound Fantastic. I'll take Her at Her Word.

God bless you.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

that does not sound very biblical
to ONLY serve Jesus

the Bible is full of people faithfully serving the head of their family, governmental leaders
or just Christians living lives of service for each other

sorry I did not go through the rest of them, but when your very first comment seems so off base, it just makes me stop

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

So by repeating written prayers while holding beads will do all of those things mentioned above? I think you would get MUCH better results praying directly to God alone.
    No comments really.

Really? So by reciting and making devotion to Mary will make sure we don't go to Hell. I don't buy it one bit, Scriptures say its through Christ alone through believing on him that we don't perish.

Is she referring to physical death or spiritual? Either way sacraments don't save us only Jesus does.

OK, so reciting hail marys will be the thing that lets me have Gods graces...not Jesus death on the cross huh?

Purgatory isn't in the bible, and even if that were so I doubt Mary has the power to do that since she didn't die on the Cross from my sins. Why would I have to go to purgatory anyway all my sins are paid for at the foot of the Cross??

So those who don't recite it will merit a lesser degree of Glory in Heaven? OK sure...and merit mean earn...we cant EARN heaven!!!

Biblical references??

Well I guess I don't particularly disagree with this, Mary is the mother of my Lord.

That was not the Mary of the bible that made those "promises "...that was either a fiction of a sick mans mind or a demon

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not only Jesus on the cross, but our Apostle Paul says "we shall be saved by His life" > in Romans 5:10. It is possible to get so busy with criticizing Catholicism that we do not give attention to all which is in God's word.

I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
Hebrews 12:4-11 says how our Father's correction produces "the peaceable fruit of righteousness" and makes us become "partakers of His holiness". This is now how God is able to truly correct us, no need for procrastination until after we die.

Also, our Apostle Paul tells us how now we can become > right "in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" < no procrastination doctrine, here > Philippians 2:13-16.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship

No comments really.

Biblical references??

You mock what you refuse to understand and arrogantly misrepresent. Until you are disposed to finding out, you will never get it.

The Rosary (see all of its parts) is a meditation on the life of Christ. Of the twenty mysteries, only two are primarily about Mary (Assumption and Coronation). So that is 90% Christ, 10% Mary in the focus of all the mysteries:

The Joyful Mysteries
  • The Annunciation: The Archangel Gabriel “announces” to Mary that she shall conceive the Son of God.
  • The Visitation: Mary visits her cousin Elizabeth, who is pregnant with John the Baptist.
  • The Nativity: Jesus is born.
  • The Presentation: Mary and Joseph “present” Jesus in the Temple where they meet Simeon.
  • The Finding in the Temple: After losing Him, Mary and Joseph find young Jesus teaching the Rabbis in the Temple.
Do you despise this as unbiblical?

The Luminous Mysteries (The Mysteries of Light)
  • The Baptism in the Jordan: The voice of the Father declares Jesus the beloved Son.
  • The Wedding at Cana: Christ changes water into wine, his first public miracle.
  • The Proclamation of the Kingdom: Jesus calls to conversion (cf. Mk 1:15) and forgives the sins of all who draw near to him.
  • The Transfiguration: The glory of the Godhead shines forth from the face of Christ.
  • The Institution of the Eucharist: Jesus offers the first Mass at the Last Supper with his apostles, establishing the sacramental foundation for all Christian living.

The Sorrowful Mysteries

• The Agony in the Garden: Jesus sweats water and blood while praying the night before his passion.
  • The Scourging at the Pillar: Pilate has Jesus whipped.
  • The Crowning with Thorns: Roman soldiers crown Jesus’ head with thorns.
  • The Carrying of the Cross: Jesus meets His mother and falls three times on the way up Calvary.
  • The Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross and dies before His mother and His apostle John.

The Glorious Mysteries
  • The Resurrection: Jesus rises from the dead.
    The Ascension: Jesus leaves the Apostles and bodily “ascends” to heaven.
  • The Descent of the Holy Spirit: The Apostles receive the Holy Spirit in tongues of fire in the upper room with Mary.
  • The Assumption: Mary is taken bodily–assumed–into heaven by God at the end of her life here on earth
  • The Coronation: Mary is crowned Queen of Heaven and Earth.
Even the final two mysteries that concentrate on Mary have some significant indication in the Bible, in Revelation 12, as I have written about at least three times (one / two / three). I argue that the “woman crowned with twelve stars” there has a dual application (not uncommon in the Bible) to both Mary and the Church.

Of course you despise the rosary because that is how you have been brought up. You don't know any better. When it comes to the Intercession of the Saints, you completely miss the point.
The "Hail Mary" prayers are like a sound track to a movie; in this analogy the above points are the movie itself.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

No comments really.

Biblical references??

Yogo, First of all, lets start by your profile picture. I find this shocking that you would have this profile picture, it is the 5th station of the Sorrowful mystery of the Most Holy Rosary that we read in the Gospels. The Rosary is the Gospel that we read in the recitation of the Rosary. The Rosary makes the Gospel COME ALIVE while Meditating on it's mysteries.

Mary is Not Calvinist, Mary is Catholic because Her Son is Catholic who founded His Church on Rock over 2000 years ago at Pentecost . When did your Church start and by whom / what man or woman or did you start it yourself?

Yogo, When one reads the Holy Gospels that pertain to the Rosary, you are actually saying the Rosary. lol When you attack the Rosary you attack the Gospel.

• Informative
Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The 15 Promises are for Catholics who are properly disposed and recite the rosary faithfully. Everything on the list is done by the grace of Christ, Mary can do nothing without that. So ignorant anti-Catholics mock Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 15 "promises" of Mary are...disturbing to say the least

I don't think the "promises" are any more disturbing than any other fiction. What I do find disturbing is the possible intent behind them. Who stands to gain the most by distracting Christ followers into such idolatry?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the "promises" are any more disturbing than any other fiction. What I do find disturbing is the possible intent behind them. Who stands to gain the most by distracting Christ followers into such idolatry?

JayW, I see you have a beautiful picture of the Resurrection. Hmmm, what a contradiction you are, that Profile Picture you have of the Resurrection, is the 1st Glorious Mystery of the Rosary. You don't see it but it is you who are doing the distraction.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Peace be with you.

I believe Her. Those Promises are for Those who Pray the Holy Rosary. They don't apply for Unbelievers. Don't worry about it.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
  3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
  4. The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
  6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
  7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenititude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
  9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
  10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
  11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
  12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
  14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

The Promises sound Fantastic. I'll take Her at Her Word.

God bless you.
So someone comes along and says that mary told them unbiblical things and you decern it not nor do you care to test those things said?

Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
JayW, I see you have a beautiful picture of the Resurrection. Hmmm, what a contradiction you are, that Profile Picture you have of the Resurrection, is the 1st Glorious Mystery of the Rosary. You don't see it but it is you who are doing the distraction.
The hindus started the prayer beads with the god shiva and the rcc carries on the tradition faithfully...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The 15 Promises are for Catholics who are properly disposed and recite the rosary faithfully. Everything on the list is done by the grace of Christ, Mary can do nothing without that. So ignorant anti-Catholics mock Christ.
Ignorant?..sweeeeeeet! The rosary is of pagan origin thru the hindu goddess shiva.... the Ignorant (your words) know that it isnt biblical and has nothing to do with Christ but with shiva and the rcc..... I can only imagine if someone called a catholic ignorant it wouldnt be reported in double time.

Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
that is a mighty strong statement

what do you have to back that up?
How about they are unbiblical? So these would fall under anyone adding to the word of God will be added too...and not in a good way.... and when you add you also subtract so its guilty on both counts..... if it were of God would it not match it? Of course it would but I know that when say for instance your not suppose to call anyone Father but God, and yet the rcc has you go against that and call them father and its their word over Gods for those who do so, so its not even a matter or tradtions of men being on equal footing but mans teachings first..... i believe this is where he gets those strong words

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Jay, I See that you change your profile pic, of the "Resurrection" the first Glorious Mystery of the Rosary. You, have realized your contradiction? However, Your contradiction remains against the Catholic Church, you have passage from Psalms, for your profile picture, It was the early Church Fathers who were Catholics who compiled the O.T. and the N.T. 73 books called Bible. But please do not give up reading your bible.

Upvote 0