tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Rationale Behind Republicans’ “[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]hole” Cover-up
That’s why Trump’s allies are trying to distract us with quarrels about which expletive he used. It’s also why they’re recasting his outburst in the familiar tactical language of the affirmative action debate. The Democratic approach to immigration, Cotton told Dickerson, is “to create more quotas, more set-asides for other countries.” Nielsen, when asked what Trump had said in the Jan. 12 meeting about immigration from Africa, offered the same spin: “What I heard him saying was that he’d like to move away from a country-based quota system to a merit-based system.” Trump’s concern isn’t really about Africa or Europe, the argument goes. It’s about fairness.

There are two problems with this argument. One is that the immigration system isn’t unfair to Europeans. Every month, the Diversity Visa Lottery allocates more visas to Europeans, on a per capita basis, than to Africans. When you factor in the discrepancy in applications—Africans are more likely to apply than Europeans—a European applicant is much more likely to get in. More broadly, among the entire population of foreign-born U.S. residents, those accepted from sub-Saharan Africa are more likely to have or obtain some college education, and almost as likely to have or obtain a four-year degree, as those accepted from Europe or Canada. Immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa are substantially more likely to participate in the U.S. labor force than immigrants from Europe or native-born Americans—perhaps in part because, on average, they’re younger.

The second problem is that behind the rhetoric of merit, there’s a cesspool of prejudice. What irks many whites about immigration and affirmative action isn’t quotas or set-asides, which were widely accepted when they favored whites. It’s suspicion that quotas and set-asides now favor nonwhites. That’s what Trump expressed last summer, when he complained in an Oval Office meeting that Haitians coming to the United States “all have AIDS” and that people coming from Nigeria would never “go back to their huts.” Last week, he exposed it again. The hole full of filth isn’t in Africa or Haiti. It’s in the president’s head. And his friends are trying to cover it up.
tulc(thought this was interesting) :wave:

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think these types of stories rock the world of some, and make others yawn. I guess I will never understand the drama that is constant out of Washington DC. People always have to speculate about what was REALLY said, and what was REALLY meant, etc. lol of course we have an endless stream of experts claiming they KNOW too.

People from those countries say it is a s-hole, and other people from that country won't. lol if I could speculate here myself? I would bet Durbin burnt some bridges he may regret in the future. lol no doubt some tattle tale will come forward, and tell on how he wasn't the perfect gentlemen in some meeting - swore and everything - and says disparaging things too. Then others will follow with another ME TOO type of thing. It will be all shock and awe for everyone in Washington. Screams for his removal, and let's throw in a investigation just for kicks. The other side will be SHOCKED that people actually believe the lies, and a new soap opera will begin.

I want to know about policies personally. I wish they would keep the high school theatrics to themselves.

Where are the policies?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FACT CHECK: Obama Called Libya a ‘Sh*t Show’ and Media Was Silent?

The issue wasn't with the cuss word, but the context. Trump called the countries s'holes. Obama said the situation in Libya was a s show on account of an escalating war.

Personally I have not actually witnessed any definitive proof that those particular words came from Trumps mouth, only claims from his opposition. I would also be willing to bet, that IF they did, there is also a context, and a meaning that has nothing whatsoever to do with racism of any sort. But since the Russian investigations did not go as planned for democrats, they are attempting another angle, I get it, but find it pathetic.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I have not actually witnessed any definitive proof that those particular words came from Trumps mouth, only claims from his opposition. I would also be willing to bet, that IF they did, there is also a context, and a meaning that has nothing whatsoever to do with racism of any sort. But since the Russian investigations did not go as planned for democrats, they are attempting another angle, I get it, but find it pathetic.

Well, Tim Scott who actually was right there in that meeting, confirmed a Washington Post account of Trump's remarks calling Haiti, El Salvador and some African nations "s hole countries." He's a Republican.

The Russian investigations are still ongoing. Robert Mueller is a Republican.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Private meeting? Whatever the case may be, it does seem he chose his words poorly (to say the least), and needs to explain the thought process behind his thoughts more, not doing so just easily leads to misunderstandings.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Private meeting? Whatever the case may be, it does seem he chose his words poorly (to say the least), and needs to explain the thought process behind his thoughts more, not doing so just easily leads to misunderstandings.
It was a meeting with Congressional leaders to try to come to a deal on DACA and discuss other immigration issues.

First he would have to admit to saying something that got several people in that meeting really upset and he isn't admitting anything. I'm sure he like to stand at a podium and shout , heck yeah I said that, I can say that. It's got to be bugging him that he can't.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, "Following comments by the President, I said my piece directly to him yesterday (Thursday). The President and all those attending the meeting know what I said and how I feel.
"I've always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals."
Fellow South Carolina GOP Sen. Tim Scott said Graham confirmed to him the President made the remark, telling The Post and Courier of Charleston, S.C., that Graham said the comments being reported in the media were "basically accurate."

Sen. Dick Durbin, "(The President) said things which were hate-filled, vile and racist. ... But I cannot believe that in the history of the White House, in that Oval Office, any president has ever spoken words that I personally heard our President speak yesterday."

What lawmakers said after immigration meeting with Trump - CNNPolitics

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(thought this was interesting) :wave:
The only thing they need to cover up is the daily dose of fake false news. The only obvious solution is to turn it off and ignore all that nonsense. Satan is losing his battle to destroy America and once again we are going to lead the world because we set an example that everyone can follow. There is no question now that America not only CAN be great again. America IS GREAT AGAIN, thanks to Trump and HIS administration and His choice of leaders and the fact that he is quick to fire the people that can not get the job done.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes the statement was vulgar, crude and kind of racist, that's not what happened there. Trump blew up a bill the Congress had worked on for months, a bipartisan effort that could have avoided a shut down and even gave Trump over a billions of dollars for that wall. We don't really know yet who but someone convinced Trump this jeapodized his immigration agenda. All I ask is that the GOP kindly please just own this one because it was their misguided leader who has led us here. I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0