Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's almost like these high suicide rates are due to people telling them that they're not "normal" and need to repress their true feelings.
Ringo

Flog ourselves yet again?
No.
These ones come with a lot of extra issues. Thus their suicide rate is higher than normal.

Spiritual battles may lead to this?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's almost like these high suicide rates are due to people telling them that they're not "normal" and need to repress their true feelings.
Ringo

Well, that’s the party line. I think there’s a bit more to it.

Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, and there is plenty of regret and remorse to go with it, sadly, although the lgbt brigade try to deny and play it down: Experience: I regret transitioning

Transition regret is extremely rare and almost always the result of continued or worsened mistreatment from others or misdiagnosis. The vast majority of transgender individuals experience great improvement as a result of their transition.

I think the biggest elephant in the room in these debates about transgender etc is the high suicide rate. There are regular arguments made that ‘transgender’ people experience high suicide rates because they aren’t accepted. It seems obvious to me that these higher rates of suicide are clearly linked to the failure of their parents to help them to deal with reality and manage their own feelings.

For many individuals with gender dysphoria, the best way that parents and other can help them deal with reality and managing their own feelings is by transitioning. Futhermore, Depression is a very common comorbid condition with gender dysphoria because dysphoria is such a debilitating and overwhelming thing to experience, which also increases the risk of suicide.

They never mention the suicide rates that are the same after the operations...

Which is a false claim that comes from misquoting a study.

A must watch when debating this topic:

"Gender is not completely disconnected from sex" - Actually, in the realms of biology and psychology, it is. Sex is the physical, external characteristics, it can either be male, female, or intersex. Gender is the psychological traits typically associated with male or female.

An argument which, even if true, is irrelevant. Mental health is determined by the ability to adjust socially, both in employment and personal relationships. Even if it is due to an inablility to adjust socially, the point that the high suicide rate indicates that something is wrong with them still stands. A high suicide rate does not point to good mental health. Period. If it did, mental health would have little meaning.

The high suicide rate is almost exclusively young people with gender dysphoria. Transgender people who have transitioned or are, tend be on about the same rate as the general population.

Because genital mutilation isn't exactly a viable means of treating mental illness.

SRS is only a small part, and not all transgender individuals, especially FtM's, receive it. Hormones actually do most of the work, and almost all of them report a better mental state within a few days of starting HRT, which only continues to improve over time.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered [sic], evidence that should give advocates pause. The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered [sic] began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population. This disturbing result has as yet no explanation but probably reflects the growing sense of isolation reported by the aging transgendered [sic] after surgery. The high suicide rate certainly challenges the surgery prescription.

Here's a link to the study...
Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered [sic], evidence that should give advocates pause. The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered [sic] began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population. This disturbing result has as yet no explanation but probably reflects the growing sense of isolation reported by the aging transgendered [sic] after surgery. The high suicide rate certainly challenges the surgery prescription.

Here's a link to the study...
Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden

That is the very study I was talking about. It blatantly states that transitioning improves quality of life and is backed by other medical research. "Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group." In layman's terms "What we have right works, but it still could be better."

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Transition regret is extremely rare and almost always the result of continued or worsened mistreatment from others or misdiagnosis. The vast majority of transgender individuals experience great improvement as a result of their transition.

For many individuals with gender dysphoria, the best way that parents and other can help them deal with reality and managing their own feelings is by transitioning. Futhermore, Depression is a very common comorbid condition with gender dysphoria because dysphoria is such a debilitating and overwhelming thing to experience, which also increases the risk of suicide.

"Gender is not completely disconnected from sex" - Actually, in the realms of biology and psychology, it is. Sex is the physical, external characteristics, it can either be male, female, or intersex. Gender is the psychological traits typically associated with male or female.

The high suicide rate is almost exclusively young people with gender dysphoria. Transgender people who have transitioned or are, tend be on about the same rate as the general population.

SRS is only a small part, and not all transgender individuals, especially FtM's, receive it. Hormones actually do most of the work, and almost all of them report a better mental state within a few days of starting HRT, which only continues to improve over time.

One sided research is never a good idea.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ringo

There is no evidence of that. Suicide rates in 3rd world countries are less then that of transsexuals. Blacks are at 6.1% when supposedly they encounter much more discrimination in the form of racism in society and by the police. So there is zero evidence of transsexuals killing themselves just cause somebody calls a man dressed up like a woman, a man.

Here is a great video where this young lady brings up the suicide rate and Ben Shapiro gives out stunning facts that blow away that argument.

Sources:

Here Are The Countries With The Worst Suicide Rates

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One sided research is never a good idea.

Actually, I used to say the same things that Ben Shapiro and others still say to this day. I thought that it was men choosing to be men or having some kind of delusion that made the think they were women, or something to that effect. It was a choice people chose for whatever reason, I didn't know, and I didn't want to know why. It also just seemed completely wrong to me more than anything else, and I was appalled at it, and I believed it was sinful to be transgender, transition, etc. because scripture speaks against deceptive crossdressing and it's just telling God that He made a mistake. Even in my undergraduate work when we touched on the issue in my psychopathology class, my mind did not change. Then, I come back from Spring Break my senior year of college to my best friend in this weird state of frantic, yet distraught depressive and anxious state. They had gone home for his last Spring Break, and I asked what happened. They told me that they came out to their family as transgender after years of struggling with it, and his family wanted nothing to do with them anymore. I didn't know what to say or do, I said that I would help them through this struggle. They broke down crying, I had never seen them cry before, saying that they had tried so hard to be not even a Godly man, but just a man and just couldn't, and was done wearing a mask. I asked them if their therapist knew (I knew he had had depression for years), and they said yes, in fact, one of their diagnoses was "Gender Dysphoria". Looking back on it, there were definitely very subtle signs that it was there when we were growing up together, and it did always seem like something was bothering them or at least on their mind. They said something to me that stuck with me that night "I would rather lose everyone and everything than live with this. I want to experience those things called peace and joy that everyone else keeps talking about." Yes, they are a Christian.

Anyway, the started hormones early the next fall and it was like night and day immediately. Everyone who knew them could immediately tell there was a difference. My best friend talked a lot about noticing that there was this mental clarity and peace they'd never felt before. There was one day they said "This is what this joy thing everyone keeps talking about it." She's now in a much better place than she ever had been as male, nobody who has kept in touch wishes or wants the male version back. We all love her because it's so much better for her. She feels closer to Christ, her relationship with God has never been better. She is celibate and doesn't date because she believes that same-sex relationships are wrong, though we all joke with her she should find a nice transman, but she's not into men. Over those months, I realized that I, and quite frankly, the entire conservative position on it has it wrong. Not only is all of the science against it, but the stories I've heard from few other Christian transgender people through her and they all have similar stories of struggling with their identity in Christ and their dysphoria, and other transgender people through her did not match what conservatives said about it, but science and the progressive people. All of them found their dysphoria getting better if not completely going away by transitioning.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

You've just answered your initial question. If they want to make their unhappy lot in life my responsibility, then it becomes my business.

Actually, I used to say the same things that Ben Shapiro and others still say to this day. I thought that it was men choosing to be men or having some kind of delusion that made the think they were women, or something to that effect.

"Something to that effect"? You don't even know what you used to believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Something to that effect"? You don't even know what you used to believe.

I used to believe multiple different things regarding the matter, I just felt like saying that instead of saying "ecetera" especially since the several different ideas I had all tended to revolve around or were similar to the ones I mentioned.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I used to say the same things that Ben Shapiro and others still say to this day. I thought that it was men choosing to be men or having some kind of delusion that made the think they were women, or something to that effect. It was a choice people chose for whatever reason, I didn't know, and I didn't want to know why. It also just seemed completely wrong to me more than anything else, and I was appalled at it, and I believed it was sinful to be transgender, transition, etc. because scripture speaks against deceptive crossdressing and it's just telling God that He made a mistake. Even in my undergraduate work when we touched on the issue in my psychopathology class, my mind did not change. Then, I come back from Spring Break my senior year of college to my best friend in this weird state of frantic, yet distraught depressive and anxious state. They had gone home for his last Spring Break, and I asked what happened. They told me that they came out to their family as transgender after years of struggling with it, and his family wanted nothing to do with them anymore. I didn't know what to say or do, I said that I would help them through this struggle. They broke down crying, I had never seen them cry before, saying that they had tried so hard to be not even a Godly man, but just a man and just couldn't, and was done wearing a mask. I asked them if their therapist knew (I knew he had had depression for years), and they said yes, in fact, one of their diagnoses was "Gender Dysphoria". Looking back on it, there were definitely very subtle signs that it was there when we were growing up together, and it did always seem like something was bothering them or at least on their mind. They said something to me that stuck with me that night "I would rather lose everyone and everything than live with this. I want to experience those things called peace and joy that everyone else keeps talking about." Yes, they are a Christian.

Anyway, the started hormones early the next fall and it was like night and day immediately. Everyone who knew them could immediately tell there was a difference. My best friend talked a lot about noticing that there was this mental clarity and peace they'd never felt before. There was one day they said "This is what this joy thing everyone keeps talking about it." She's now in a much better place than she ever had been as male, nobody who has kept in touch wishes or wants the male version back. We all love her because it's so much better for her. She feels closer to Christ, her relationship with God has never been better. She is celibate and doesn't date because she believes that same-sex relationships are wrong, though we all joke with her she should find a nice transman, but she's not into men. Over those months, I realized that I, and quite frankly, the entire conservative position on it has it wrong. Not only is all of the science against it, but the stories I've heard from few other Christian transgender people through her and they all have similar stories of struggling with their identity in Christ and their dysphoria, and other transgender people through her did not match what conservatives said about it, but science and the progressive people. All of them found their dysphoria getting better if not completely going away by transitioning.

I think there are a lot of layers to it, societal as well as individual. I worked in psychology services, mostly in MH crisis for years. Crisis can be a point where everything is stripped away, my overall take away from that is that if a person’s ‘house’ isn’t built on the rock then sooner or later, it will be swept away. No amount of temporary fixes or workarounds matter in the final analysis. Dealing with the deepest ways of the heart is very, very, very difficult as I am sure you know but no-one is done any favours by avoiding the process of conforming to the will of God, however hard it is. The same kind of arguments get made for divorce, abortion, and other issues that can challenge the very core of a person’s being and sense of self, but confronting those realities and dealing with them in step with the spirit is the only way. It’s unfortunate that the general trend in society towards ‘what feels right is right’ is weakening the light that the church should be to the world. There’s no light without a struggle to keep it alive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

badatusernames

Nov 14, 2017
US
✟22,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think there are a lot of layers to it, societal as well as individual. I worked in psychology services, mostly in MH crisis for years. Crisis can be a point where everything is stripped away, my overall take away from that is that if a person’s ‘house’ isn’t built on the rock then sooner or later, it will be swept away. No amount of temporary fixes or workarounds matter in the final analysis. Dealing with the deepest ways of the heart is very, very, very difficult as I am sure you know but no-one is done any favours by avoiding the process of conforming to the will of God, however hard it is. The same kind of arguments get made for divorce, abortion, and other issues that can challenge the very core of a person’s being and sense of self, but confronting those realities and dealing with them in step with the spirit is the only way. It’s unfortunate that the general trend in society towards ‘what feels right is right’ is weakening the light that the church should be to the world. There’s no light without a struggle to keep it alive.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with crisis at all unless it is something with suicidal ideation, to which they were not at that point. They and many other Christians transgender individuals try for years, if not decades dealing with their dysphoria, trying their hardest to be be man or a woman, and they just can't. They can't because their brains are not what their bodies and others are telling them they are. Even though she had a completely normal upbringing and for the most part was just a regular boy growing up, I now know that that wasn't the case. I don't even refer to her life before she transitioned as he anymore because she was never really a guy...
- Boys aren't jealous of schoolmates who were teased for being girly (she told me she used to be jealous of a classmate of ours who was always a bit prissy cause we'd see her as girly and is jealous of trans friends who were)
- Boys don't play dress up with their younger sister and then ask their male friends to play with them. (I remember this, just thought it was weird)
- High school boys don't ask their girlfriends to put makeup on them (I also knew about this one at the time)
- They also don't constantly pray that can become a girl. (something I've heard literally every transgender person who at least grew up Christian has said).
- College guys don't wish they could pledge a sorority so they could be one of the girls
- College guys don't grow their hair out and sleep wearing it in pigtails (he forgot to take them out one morning, just remember thinking it was odd or his girlfriend did it as a joke).

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
There is no evidence of that. Suicide rates in 3rd world countries are less then that of transsexuals. Blacks are at 6.1% when supposedly they encounter much more discrimination in the form of racism in society and by the police.
How much discrimination is debatable.

The difference between the suicide rate between blacks and a minority like transexuals comes down to familial support. Being black means one is born into a family of the same minority and garners automatic and unconditional acceptance by a family that has the same experience of discrimination. This acceptance and support extends out from the family and usually includes immediate social environments like neighborhood, school, and church.

LGBT individuals, in general, are far more likely to not have this familial and immediate support and identification and often experience rejection from a young age form family and community.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered [sic], evidence that should give advocates pause.
The author of the study objects to the way you're using it. Let me try to explain why. It looks at lifetime suicide attempts. If you want to assess transition, you have to look at attempts before and after. I would expect that the people who transition are the most seriously affected. They might well have higher suicide rates than average before the transition. If you look only at attempts over their whole lifetime -- as with this study -- you might see high rates even if transition is completely successful.

There have been a number of studies of the effect of transition. They have normally shown improvement. However those studies are still not great. To be really convincing you need to take a group with the same symptoms, split it randomly, transition half and not the other half. And it has to be double blind, meaning that the participants can't know whether they've transitioned or not. This is obviously absurd. So we're depending upon less than great evidence. But the evidence points to transition helping. As far as I can tell, most studies have looked at how people felt about themselves after, and various measures of qualify of life. I haven't seen (in Google searches -- I'm not an expert) a properly designed study of suicide rates. Perhaps one of the participants here can point to one.

• Winner
Reactions: kybela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The whole what feels good is good is so deeply ingrained in western culture that the only way to get away from it is to completely re-educate yourself. The studies into this and related issues may be interesting but they are nothing more that a particular mix of perspectives at a particular time in history, mans view of himself as he goes off and tries to make things work without keeping God in the picture as the absolute authority. Anyone who hasn't had to go through some process of painful and difficult change as a Christian either hasn't lived long enough or they are adapting Christian teachings to suit what they 'feel' is right. That's a natural human tendency, and one that western culture encourages strongly. To put all of this in perspective I'd suggest studying and reflecting on the book of Deuteronomy over a period of months. It provides deep insights into the boundaries between our perspective and God's regarding how society and individuals within society should function.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with crisis at all unless it is something with suicidal ideation, to which they were not at that point.

What I meant here is that crisis exposes the cracks - however you go about it, papering over the surface issues rather than putting in the time to discover what is really going on will ultimately end in failure, in this life or the next. People with issues of this kind need the kind of difficult, long term support needed to gradually draw out their own ability to discover for themselves what is really going on. Unfortunately the tendency in social services is to go with what is easiest. Supporting people in an effective way is of course extremely difficult and expensive also, which is why many people get short changed when unable to articulate their own needs without long term support.

Upvote 0

Waterwerx

Jul 14, 2016
Hazleton, PA
✟56,259.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
But this mantra of "be what you feel, do what you like" only applies to a few situations, of course. They don't REALLY mean it when they spout off about "tolerance". In the US are they tolerating bakers who don't want to bake cakes for gay weddings? Do they tolerate those who think we ought to be much more selective about who we let in to our nation? Of course not.

The tolerance only goes to a few points of sexuality, of course. Lots and lots in the Bible about that, I would say. At least indirectly.

I think they're less about "toleration" and more about "promoting" it, which means squelching any kind of opposition to them promoting it as an acceptable lifestyle.

Even some Christian groups are promoting sexual deviation, illicit drug use, etc., by their reasoning that the OT laws do not apply to us today or that the Scriptures meant something else. Instead of sticking with the simplicity of the Bible, some will concoct the most bizarre or intricate arguments/excuses to justify a sin as not really being "sin" and promote it as such. So you not only have the individual sin itself, you also have it being propagated.
God has written/commanded how everything is suppose to work in His kingdom because He designed it as such. While something may be seemingly harmless and not immediately destructive, we don't have the long-term sight of God, so when He commands us to avoid or abstain from something, its for our own good and continued perpetuation.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A must watch when debating this topic:

I have seen this debate before and Ben Shapiro talkss a lot about the topic. I have to agree with a lot about what he says. The worry I find is that the issue gets politizised and the real issues are not being addressed. If they are going to push that there is no such thing as gender and teach this to young children then this can create a problem which was not there to begin with. It is natural for children to go through a phase of experimentation with the opposite sex but they grow out of this. If gender fluidity becomes accepted then a young male kid who may express an interest in ballet or a young girl likes playing with toy trucks they may be classified as identifying with the opposite sex when it is just a normal phase. This can pathologize the issue and make a problem when there is none. This can lead to pressure on young kids and them becoming insecure about their gender identities.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for sharing this. It gives food for thought.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sorry for taking so long to reply. To put the issue of "intersex" to rest. It is nothing more then a birth defect that people are trying to use as apart of the transsexual debate which is a disorder as intersex is a defect. People that are dealing with transgenderism much like people dealing with bipolar disorder can lead to heavy depression and lead to suicide.
As these sources will explain the "intersex" issue better.

Links below:

The presence of the Y chromosome is supposed to trigger a whole series of events which will result in a biologically distinct male, but just because something may interfere with and distort the original design such that it does not function in the way it was intended does not negate that it was supposed to have a specific function. This is why we speak of brain damage, heart deformities, sterile sperm, and other such abnormalities by using qualifiers which indicate that something is failing to function according to its biological intent. The heart remains a heart; the sperm remains a sperm, and the brain remains a brain even if they are not functioning properly. A deformed heart remains a heart, even if it is an exception to the norm. Likewise, a person’s biological sex remains male or female even if it is an exception to the norm and does not function according to its biological intent.

An analogous example is the story of Jaxon Buell who was born with a rare birth defect that occurs when the beginnings of the nervous system develop incorrectly. This condition prevented most of Jaxon’s brain from forming, leaving half his skull flat.Most likely he will never be capable of talking and of walking independently. Nevertheless, he remains human. Without most of a brain, he does not fit into the normal classification for humans, but the mere fact that his brain did not develop according to its biological intent does not negate his humanity. In the same way, the mere fact that sex organs may not develop according to their biological intent does not negate the individuals’ biological gender.

Intersex conditions are not evidence of a third gender; intersex conditions are evidence of the effect of sin upon God’s creation. More importantly, intersex conditions are evidence of our need for a Savior who will redeem not only our souls, but also our bodies.

Do Intersex Individuals Disprove the Gender Binary? | Transitioning

In times past, doctors would perform surgeries without first testing the infant to find out its true sex, and the child would sometimes grow up very obviously a man, with female genitalia. Now, specialists can perform an ultrasound, blood test, chromosome analysis, and even do exploratory surgery to find out the baby's true sex. The treatment is still controversial, however.

Babies are not born with physical disorders to punish their parents in any way. Although God created the earth perfectly, it soon brought destruction upon itself with the onset of human sin (Romans 5:12). Before the Flood in Genesis chapter 7 that wiped out almost all living things on the earth, people had the potential to live for several hundred years.

After the Flood, human life spans grew progressively shorter, indicating a change in the environment which resulted in damage to the human genetic structure. This also explains why incest was necessary for the population of the earth in Genesis, but was forbidden later in the laws of Leviticus (18:6-18). Now, thousands of years later as sin continues to permeate the world, the human race has been bombarded with every kind of sickness, disease, disorder and birth defect we can imagine.

What does the Bible say about hermaphrodites?

That has been the painful plight of a few female athletes through history. And apparently that is the situation for South African track star Caster Semenya.

Two Australian newspapers reported Friday that gender tests show the world champion athlete has no ovaries or uterus and internal testes that produce large amounts of testosterone. The international sports federation that ordered the tests would not confirm the reports.

Experts say Semenya should be allowed to race as a woman and they cringe at how her case is exploding publicly in the news media. They worry about psychological scars. Two years ago, a star female track athlete who tested male attempted suicide.

Unless she took some illicit substance, Semenya is a female with a birth defect, simple as that, said Dr. Myron Genel, a professor emeritus of pediatrics at Yale University. He was part of a special panel of experts convened by the International Association of Athletics Federations in 1990 that helped end much, but not all, genetic gender testing.

"It's no different in a sense than a youngster who is born with a hole in the heart," Genel said. "These are in fact birth defects in an area that a lot of people are uncomfortable with."

What is a hermaphrodite?

True hermaphroditism, clinically known as ovotesticular disorder of sex development, is a medical term for an intersex condition in which an individual is born with ovarian and testicular tissue. More commonly one or both gonads is an ovotestis containing both types of tissue.

True hermaphroditism - Wikipedia

Intersex conditions occur when there is a defect in the normal process of sexual maturation that results in abnormalities in any of these features.

Surgery for intersex

More links that dives more into this subject:

Ovotesticular Disorder of Sex Development - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)

Ovotesticular Disorder of Sexual Development Clinical Presentation: History, Physical, Causes

Ovotesticular Disorder of Sex Development

Last edited:
Upvote 0