2WhomShallWeGo

May 13, 2010
been in the USA and Canada
✟1,635.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I kind of have a pet peeve, not about the intentions behind the statement, but the fact that I don't know where they are actually getting the statement from.

I had just seen this statement somewhere else on CF and it got me thinking. It is said that God does not tempt us beyond what we can bear, but people also say that God doesn't give us any more than we can't handle and I swear that the latter statement is not in the Bible anywhere. Granted, Catholicism doesn't mandate that every single thing be in the Bible itself but I've heard this statement long said by Protestants as well and it kind of bugs me because I don't really see this in the Bible - not at all - I am not perturbed by the intentions of those who make the comment, but I want to know where exactly does God say that He won't give us more than He can handle?

AS others have already pointed out it is in the bible. If it were not and the church still taught it that wouldn't be a problem for me. as the idea is simply a natural extension of the idea that God is merciful and just and generous. He wouldn't redeem us just to make salvation impossible for us, nor would he command us to shun sin and then not make it possible for us to do so. WE shouldn't need the bible to make that connection for us even though it does.

God is Generous.

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
what I want to know, where in the bible does it say "God helps those who help themselves..." I hear that all the time, and I believe it's true, but it's not in the bible specifically.

Where is there any hint of it in there? Or is it just a reference to cooperating with grace?

It's not spoken in a religious context, but political -- God as Providence here.

Algernon Sidney said:
If it be said that the wise father mention'd by me endeavours to secure his patrimony by law, not by force; I answer that a defence terminates in force; and if a private man does not prepare to defend his estate with his own force, 'tis because he lives under the protection of the law, and expects the force of the magistrate should be a security to him: but kingdoms and commonwealths acknowledging no superior, except God alone, can reasonably hope to be protected by him only; and by him, if with industry and courage they make use of the means he has given them for their own defense. God helps those who help themselves; and men are by several reasons (suppose to prevent the increase of a suspected power) induced to succor an industrious and brave people: but as such as neglect the means of their own preservation, are ever left to perish with shame. Men cannot rely upon any league: the state that is defended by one potentate against another becomes a slave to their protector... Source.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Now I think that is somewhere in the Bible. :p

2Th 3:8-12 said:
... neither did we eat any man's bread for nothing, but in labour and in toil we worked night and day, lest we should be chargeable to any of you. Not as if we had not power: but that we might give ourselves a pattern unto you, to imitate us. For also when we were with you, this we declared to you: that, if any man will not work, neither let him eat.

For we have heard there are some among you who walk disorderly, working not at all, but curiously meddling. Now we charge them that are such, and beseech them by the Lord Jesus Christ, that, working with silence, they would eat their own bread.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

"No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it."

That last verse sort of says it all in a nutshell there, doesn't it?

Yup. That is the one that deals directly with what Lady Bug was asking, and in the exact wording too. It is not dealing with temptation either at that point.
Thanks for the correction

1 Corinthians 10:13

No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Originally Posted by 1Cor 10:13
Let no temptation take hold on you, but such as is human. And God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that which you are able: but will make also with temptation issue, that you may be able to bear it.

Funny though, how translations give a completely different impression.
When I think of temptation that I cannot bear, I immediately think of an ice cream cone..... or something like that.

But when I think of a burden or a trial that cannot be handled, I think of something that is not very tempting at all, maybe having one of Stalin's buddies crushing testicles in a vice grip or something like that..

Truth be told, I can imagine a few trials or burdens that I would be astonished if they did not crush and break me utterly, leave me devastated and hopeless in the bottom of the dish.
But I know if I really tried, I would be able to keep myself from licking that ice cream, tempting though it may be, even it was right there in bed beside me....

er, I mean right in front of my tongue.:sorry:

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.
that makes more sense now.

I have this thing of not really remembering so much of what I read in the Bible no matter how much I look at it. I hate that:(

Upvote 0

adajoy

Teach Me Thy Way Oh Lord
Dec 9, 2009
✟15,350.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Those two statements sound nearly the same to me. :confused:

Anyways, I was watching EWTN the other day and two people were talking about suffering, and mentioned this verse. I thought I'd share what their thoughts were so I found an article about it.

From Defeat to Victory: On the Question of Evil | Alice von Hildebrand said:
Not only does the secular man wish to succeed, but he craves for the admiration of others. Man's fallen nature longs for praise (often confused with flattery), for commendation. He wants to be "affirmed," admired, looked up to. He likes to be given the first seat and play the first fiddle. Not only does he crave for the praise of others, but he wants to please himself. Narcissism is deeply implanted in man's fallen nature. We want "to feel good about ourselves," to find ourselves lovable and attractive. Consequently we resent any criticism that seems to challenge our self-image, however justified it might be.

The inevitable consequence of this attitude is that many men expose themselves to all sorts of sufferings: they suffer when their vanity has been offended; they suffer because they are allergic to criticisms. They suffer because another has succeeded where they have failed. They are tortured by the "green eye of envy." They suffer because they have been humiliated and are likely to respond with hate to those who dared criticize them.

He who, through God's grace, has adopted a supernatural stance will victoriously fight against these "illegitimate sufferings," i.e., the sufferings which are consequences of our false and sinful attitudes. God does not give his grace for such self-inflicted sufferings--this is why they are unbearable--but in his goodness--he does come to the help of those who carry a real cross--a cross that he has chosen for them for their sanctification, and for which they can count on his grace. This is why St. Paul writes that "God does not try us beyond our strength"--something that the natural man contests violently.

To read more, search google for "from Defeat to Victory: On the Question of Evil"

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
that makes more sense now.

I have this thing of not really remembering so much of what I read in the Bible no matter how much I look at it. I hate that:(

It seems to me that it really depends what translation you read. Whether 'trial' is the word used or 'temptation' is the word, the meaning can be changed significantly. The cross can be a real trial, a real testing, yoke, burden, ordeal;and a temptation can be a trial too, and a test.

But, for me, it really stretches the meaning of the word to see the cross as a temptation- especially when imposed upon us as if from God or the devil.

Temptation is a matter of will, but a trial can also include an element of ordeal and the ability to endure and withstand adversity. The two words should not be interchangeable, but as variously written down here, they are being used interchangeably.

So I am still a bit agnostic on what is or isn't being said.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

It seems to me that it really depends what translation you read. Whether 'trial' is the word used or 'temptation' is the word, the meaning can be changed significantly. The cross can be a real trial, a real testing, yoke, burden, ordeal;and a temptation can be a trial too, and a test.

But, for me, it really stretches the meaning of the word to see the cross as a temptation- especially when imposed upon us as if from God or the devil.

Temptation is a matter of will, but a trial can also include an element of ordeal and the ability to endure and withstand adversity. The two words should not be interchangeable, but as variously written down here, they are being used interchangeably.

So I am still a bit agnostic on what is or isn't being said.

Let's pull out the Greek! :smarty: *consults Strong's*

peirasmos
pi-ras-mos'
From G3985; a putting to proof (by experiment [of good], experience [of evil], solicitation, discipline or provocation); by implication adversity: - temptation, X try.​

For good measure, here's G3985:

peirazō
pi-rad'-zo
From G3984; to test (objectively), that is, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: - assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try.​

I found a few other verses where the same word, peirasmos, is used:

Matthew 6:13 NIV And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Matthew 26:41 NIV Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

James 1:12 NIV Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

They might be interchangeable after all. Interesting!

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Let's pull out the Greek! :smarty: *consults Strong's*
peirasmos
pi-ras-mos'
From G3985; a putting to proof (by experiment [of good], experience [of evil], solicitation, discipline or provocation); by implication adversity: - temptation, X try.
For good measure, here's G3985:
peirazō
pi-rad'-zo
From G3984; to test (objectively), that is, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: - assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try.
I found a few other verses where the same word, peirasmos, is used:
Matthew 6:13 NIV And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Matthew 26:41 NIV Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

James 1:12 NIV Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
They might be interchangeable after all. Interesting!

Thanks. I always appreciate it when someone goes the extra step.

But I still woudn't say that the different meanings of the same word are competely interchangeable. The lead us not into temptation in context must mean to lead us away from desires of a corrupting sort-the spirit is willing bu the flesh is weak.

It is about our struggle against our sinful inclinations, our sinful nature.

It is not trial as in hard work or a yoke that is being discussed here. We are not asking God to allow us to shirk work, but tonot be tempted into sin.

The James quotation may also be struggling against our sinful nature, but it may also be about preservering the crosses in our lives, not breaking under pressure. Indeed, the fact that it was translated as test seems to strongly suggest that it is more about preserverance under a burden than preserverance over our sinful inclinations.
So what we have here is the same Greek word being used to convey two different meanings- and not just subtly different either, in my view, but substantially different.

The question still remains then, in my mind at least, what context the word is being used in for the Corinthians verse-and please don't think me being stubborn or obstinate on tht account. I have no favorites here. I just am not sure.
One of the Bible's sweet mysteries still.....;)
It well could apply equally to both in this verse, but I am not willing to yet commit to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

Memento Mori

Oh, I agree, just because it's the same word doesn't mean it's the same meaning being used in all contexts. I would say they are probably closely related though.

Going on to the next two verses in James there is the word peirazo again. The bolded part is what interests me though:

James 1:13-14 ESV Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.

That puts the James instance in a similar context as the other ones

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I kind of have a pet peeve, not about the intentions behind the statement, but the fact that I don't know where they are actually getting the statement from.

I had just seen this statement somewhere else on CF and it got me thinking. It is said that God does not tempt us beyond what we can bear, but people also say that God doesn't give us any more than we can't handle and I swear that the latter statement is not in the Bible anywhere. Granted, Catholicism doesn't mandate that every single thing be in the Bible itself but I've heard this statement long said by Protestants as well and it kind of bugs me because I don't really see this in the Bible - not at all - I am not perturbed by the intentions of those who make the comment, but I want to know where exactly does God say that He won't give us more than He can handle?

God helps those that help themselves

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think you've been helping yourself enough, then...

that was a joke

i read an article once by a priest where he became angry when one of his parishoners was adament that "God helps those that help themselves" was an actual bible verse, your OP reminded me of that, LOL

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
that was a joke

i read an article once by a priest where he became angry when one of his parishoners was adament that "God helps those that help themselves" was an actual bible verse, your OP reminded me of that, LOL
thanks for telling me BA. :)

even the priest got angry LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God wants us all to be rich with money and things. We just have to have a strong enough faith. I know this because a TV preacher said it's in the bible. He forgot to reference the verse and I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

:p

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God wants us all to be rich with money and things. We just have to have a strong enough faith. I know this because a TV preacher said it's in the bible. He forgot to reference the verse and I can't find it. Can anyone help me?

:p

Maybe he's really stretching the meaning of Luke 6:38 ("Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom." For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.")

I bet that's also the verse used when they tell you that God cannot be outgiven.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh, I agree, just because it's the same word doesn't mean it's the same meaning being used in all contexts. I would say they are probably closely related though.

Going on to the next two verses in James there is the word peirazo again. The bolded part is what interests me though:
James 1:13-14 ESV Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
That puts the James instance in a similar context as the other ones
I think that they same kind of thing happened in Corinthians too, so I remain doubtful that 'temptation' rather than 'burden' is not the more accurate translation here too.
All temptations are trials or test and ultimately burdens, but it does not follow that all burdens are temptations.

I think it is still valid to be unconvinced that the OP statement is a Biblical one then.

Upvote 0