That's no fun (re: front-loading claims)

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I created a thread a few weeks back then got caught up in real life, and upon returning today, I see that thread went on for many pages then got closed before I could comment on any of the replies!
I might reply to a few of them in this thread...

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I created a thread a few weeks back then got caught up in real life, and upon returning today, I see that thread went on for many pages then got closed before I could comment on any of the replies!
Okay, so someone says:

"God placed within each species genetic information."

And you want physical evidence for that.

Is that correct?

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I also have mentioned that anything "Supernatural" cannot be investigated by use of the scientific method. That's due to the definition of supernatural.

Now if God had a laboratory with technicians, then we could track the mistakes that the various technicians make and trace them back to God's Laboratory using the scientific method.

WonderLab_Logo_Color.jpg

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I also have mentioned that anything "Supernatural" cannot be investigated by use of the scientific method. That's due to the definition of supernatural.
Yes, insulate your beliefs at any cost.
I know that most adhere to that notion - to include most scientists. I do not share that position. While it is true that all attempts to test the supernatural via experiment have failed ('explained' via special pleading (God cannot be tested! Maybe God just didn't want to answer that prayer! All part of 'the plan'!) for the most part).

My position is that at least some of the claims of supernatural action should - even must - have left physical evidence or other corroboration. And when such evidence is not present, it should count as evidence against the supposed supernatural event.

Global flood, for example.
Now if God had a laboratory with technicians, then we could track the mistakes that the various technicians make and trace them back to God's Laboratory using the scientific method.
Like the ICR?
But they don't bother to do that kind of thing. No creationists do. They just try to nitpick real science, and they nearly always fail. Or they lie, and get caught doing so.

• Winner
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that most adhere to that notion - to include most scientists. I do not share that position. While it is true that all attempts to test the supernatural via experiment have failed ('explained' via special pleading (God cannot be tested! Maybe God just didn't want to answer that prayer! All part of 'the plan'!) for the most part).

My position is that at least some of the claims of supernatural action should - even must - have left physical evidence or other corroboration. And when such evidence is not present, it should count as evidence against the supposed supernatural event.

Like the ICR?
But they don't bother to do that kind of thing. No creationists do. They just try to nitpick real science, and they nearly always fail. Or they lie, and get caught doing so.

It's far more scientific than that. Nothing in science exists without confirmation.
If you claim anything is "supernatural" that means that you would not be able
to re-create the event. If you can't re-create an event then you have no evidence
to support your theory. Anything "supernatural" can only be taken on faith due
to
the scientific method that requires reproducible evidence.

It's the scientific process that eliminates the scientific process from consideration.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
If you can't re-create an event then you have no evidence to support your theory.
That's not correct. If the event leaves evidence, there is evidence that you can compare with the expectations/predictions of your hypothesis. If your hypothesis predicts that you shouldn't see that evidence, it may be falsified; if it predicts that evidence, it is supported.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not correct. If the event leaves evidence, there is evidence that you can compare with the expectations/predictions of your hypothesis. If your hypothesis predicts that you shouldn't see that evidence, it may be falsified; if it predicts that evidence, it is supported.

And a "supernatural event" is unpredictable, by definition.
An event can only follow the pattern of other natural events.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
And a "supernatural event" is unpredictable, by definition.
An event can only follow the pattern of other natural events.
I didn't say the event itself was predictable. But if an event leaves evidence, that evidence can be compared with the predictions or expectations of an explanatory hypothesis.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say the event itself was predictable. But if an event leaves evidence, that evidence can be compared with the predictions or expectations of an explanatory hypothesis.

Which requires natural predictions or expectations. This rules out natural science.

You can only have natural predictions or expectations. That's all science is good for.

We can't scientifically test for a FLying Spaghetti Monster because we can't make assumptions on it's effect on the world. We don't know if it would show on Radar. Sonar, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,163.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Like the ICR?

The supernatural never has been investigated successfully but that does not
define it as impossible.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Which requires natural predictions or expectations. This rules out natural science.

You can only have natural predictions or expectations. That's all science is good for.

We can't scientifically test for a FLying Spaghetti Monster because we can't make assumptions on it's effect on the world. We don't know if it would show on Radar. Sonar, etc.
If an event happens that leaves evidence, but you have no testable hypothesis that gives an expectation or prediction of that evidence, or predicts that evidence should not appear, then you have no explanation. IOW, the event is unexplained. In that case, you can speculate about an infinite number of potential causes, including the supernatural, but you have no evidence for them - they are just speculative claims.

By 'explanation' here, I mean some description that provides some specific understanding of the nature of the event and how it came about (among other things). An 'explanation' that can be applied to any unexplained phenomenon, such as, 'magic', 'rare random chance', 'the supernatural', etc., explains nothing; these are simply imaginative stickers to cover the lack of an explanation. You can't explain the unexplained with the inexplicable.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If an event happens that leaves evidence, but you have no testable hypothesis that gives an expectation or prediction of that evidence, or predicts that evidence should not appear, then you have no explanation. IOW, the event is unexplained. In that case, you can speculate about an infinite number of potential causes, including the supernatural, but you have no evidence for them - they are just speculative claims.

By 'explanation' here, I mean some description that provides some specific understanding of the nature of the event and how it came about (among other things). An 'explanation' that can be applied to any unexplained phenomenon, such as, 'magic', 'rare random chance', 'the supernatural', etc., explains nothing; these are simply imaginative stickers to cover the lack of an explanation. You can't explain the unexplained with the inexplicable.

I'll give an example. Lets say Jesus steps out of the boat and walks on water. You say "Let's check his feet and see if they are wet. Nope. not wet. So it didn't happen."

I respond with "Are you sure that "wet feet" is a good test?"
"ummmm no I guess not."

So science can only test what is natural.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,163.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'll give an example. Lets say Jesus steps out of the boat and walks on water. You say "Let's check his feet and see if they are wet. Nope. not wet. So it didn't happen."

"ummmm no I guess not."

Thats hardly a demonstration nor anything about
whats natural and isnt.

You do not know what ( real) things cannot be put to a test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist

"ummmm no I guess not."

That's a case where the event left no evidence - not what I was talking about.

But without evidence, claims are unsubstantiated. At best, credence depends on the prior probability, i.e. inversely proportional to how extraordinary the claim is; at worst, Hitchen's razor applies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a case where the event left no evidence - not what I was talking about.

But without evidence, claims are unsubstantiated. At best, credence depends on the prior probability, i.e. inversely proportional to how extraordinary the claim is; at worst, Hitchen's razor applies.
What I was explaining is that we don't know enough details to be able to predict such evidence.

Let me try again. "The whole world was covered with water."

So is that the whole known world for one person? We don't know.

Upvote 0