Discussion That is to say, you are not god.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, are all the others in the conversation in line with your thinking? I haven't read much of the conversation. If it is, I will just bow out.
I smell popcorn. I think they are just here to see the fireworks.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The topic for discussion is "you are not god" agree, disagree, post reasoning, scripture whatever.

God bless.
First off I want to apologize for taking your topic off the rails.
I had dealt with an individual prior regarding this subject and was not about to tolerate where I knew the discussion was heading and also felt compelled to expose this falsehood and at the same time warn readers about what I was seeing in this. How's that for a run-on sentence. - lol

Regarding the topic OP, the question for consideration is oddly stated as "you are not god". (small g)

From my perspective, the use of the word God (singular with capital G) refers to the God of the Bible, the one and only creator of heaven and earth, the one true God that we worship. Conversely, the use of the word gods (plural with small g) is in reference to created and imagined beings that have supernatural abilities or status. (of whom there are many)

Here are some scriptures to consider in this regard.

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

John 10:34-36
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
First off I want to apologize for taking your topic off the rails.
I had dealt with an individual prior regarding this subject and was not about to tolerate where I knew the discussion was heading and also felt compelled to expose this falsehood and at the same time warn readers about what I was seeing in this. How's that for a run-on sentence. - lol

Regarding the topic OP, the question for consideration is oddly stated as "you are not god". (small g)

From my perspective, the use of the word God (singular with capital G) refers to the God of the Bible, the one and only creator of heaven and earth, the one true God that we worship. Conversely, the use of the word gods (plural with small g) is in reference to created and imagined beings that have supernatural abilities or status. (of whom there are many)

Here are some scriptures to consider in this regard.

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

John 10:34-36
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’
Theosis is definitely a difficult topic.

Jesus is one of the persons of the trinity, we are not. We are God's sons, but not God like Jesus is in the John Passage.

In a sense, God in Trinity represents the three primary colours, and each of those "in the light" represent a hue made up of those colours, thus the whole kingdom of God is the rainbow that comes from God's light, and when we unify and enter into the prism again together as one, this shines God's light back to Him resplendent.

Those in darkness, cannot emit a colour since you need light to do that, but have the potential if they are born again by the Holy Spirit.

In a sense that imitation is the highest form of flattery, when the church (that Jesus built) comes together as one, and in brotherly love, then this is the highest order of praise .. Because God who gave His son so we would have light within us again, shine the light back to show Him with action .. that we get Him ... we really get Him.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theosis is definitely a difficult topic.

Jesus is one of the persons of the trinity, we are not. We are God's sons, but not God like Jesus is in the John Passage.

In a sense, God in Trinity represents the three primary colours, and each of those "in the light" represent a hue made up of those colours, thus the whole kingdom of God is the rainbow that comes from God's light, and when we unify and enter into the prism again together as one, this shines God's light back to Him resplendent.

Those in darkness, cannot emit a colour since you need light to do that, but have the potential if they are born again by the Holy Spirit.

In a sense that imitation is the highest form of flattery, when the church (that Jesus built) comes together as one, and in brotherly love, then this is the highest order of praise .. Because God who gave His son so we would have light within us again, shine the light back to show Him with action .. that we get Him ... we really get Him.
Thanks. This is an interesting topic. I like your comments. Very thought-provoking.

Let's break this down into manageable bits.

We have God (singular) who is the Trinity as we know God.
Then we have gods (plural) who can take many forms.
The term is even used in reference to household gods (idols).

It seems that the term could be used to refer to us as the children of God.
Also used in reference to angels, both heavenly and fallen.
The fallen angels (demons), of course, who operate as "deities" who are false gods.
The power behind the idols being worshiped.

Genesis 6:4
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. This is an interesting topic. I like your comments. Very thought-provoking.

Let's break this down into manageable bits.

We have God (singular) who is the Trinity as we know God.
Then we have gods (plural) who can take many forms.
The term is even used in reference to household gods (idols).

It seems that the term could be used to refer to us as the children of God.
Also used in reference to angels, both heavenly and fallen.
The fallen angels (demons), of course, who operate as "deities" who are false gods.
The power behind the idols being worshiped.

Genesis 6:4
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
I am also reminded of

Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. (Luke 20:36)

However, this speaks of our status in the world to come. ;)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am also reminded of

Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection. (Luke 20:36)

However, this speaks of our status in the world to come. ;)
Thanks. That is such an interesting passage.

Luke 20:34-40
Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.” 39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” 40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is the erroneous framing of a question that does not conform to the context of reality.
Just because words can be strung together into a grammatically correct sentence does not mean the sentence makes sense. You are forcing us into a non-existent reality and demanding an answer. False premise based on impossible context.

Upvote 0