Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Ohhhh.....   Mmmmmm....

jackd_bbq2.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
**bf starting to feel the stirrings of control freak coming on**...

Okay, we've got BBQ'd piggie (if VOW can keep her hands off until dinner time;)), along with a case full of napkins

garlic mashed potatoes, a case of napkins, pie, cranberries, zucchini bread and homemade rolls.  What's missing?

I'll bring a green bean bake, a glazed carrot dish with fresh ginger and gravy for the potatoes.

Who's bringing the bevvies?

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Miss Shelby
I see that.  You giving Clark Griswold  a run for his money this year? :D

Michelle

He is a paragon of virtue.  If only my house could look like that for the Holidays........ :D

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
I thought I would share with you my favorite thanksgiving :)

The year was 1998 it was the best of times it was the worst of times . . . . okay okay it wasn't all that bad!! As a matter of fact, things were great! I was in Ireland teaching at the premier school in that country and finishing up my teaching degree. There were 5 of us there that fall, myself and 4 ladies. All of us there through a program at our university here at home. Anyhow, we were to be there from the start of school through til almost Christmas. (Fun right? IT WAS A BLAST!!)

Welp, since we were to be away for the thanksgiving holiday without family in a country that does not celebrate the holiday - we decided to get together and have thanksgiving as a group - the five of us. We also thought it would be nice to invite our host families since all of the girls were staying with families while I was staying with the local RC Franciscans - Our contact person a Holy Ghost father from Our University felt I would be more at home and more comfortable with the Fathers - never mind that I'm not RC.

So we all invited our hosts, myself included although I limited my invite to the house superior and the Father from across the hall who was the only person in the house besides me under 50!! We had to SPECIAL order half the ingredients for the meal. The stores in Ireland do not stock turkeys except at Christmas and then they are SMALL - but the one girl managed to get one of decent size and it cost her a pretty penny . . . . Fresh cranberries also had to be special ordered . . .
Since I was the only one of the 5 of us with any serious cooking experience, I did the bulk of the cooking - it was grand. I made fresh homemade dressing from an old family recipe, fresh cranberry relish, my top secret to die for mashed potatoes, everything but the turkey. And after work that Thursday we got together at the one families house (God bless them for opening their house to all of us) and 27 people sat down to have thanksgiving dinner most for the very first time. Before we ate we did what most families I know do and we went around the table and spoke about one thing we were thankful for, prayed, blessed the food then ate.

The food was an absolute HIT! Everyone knows the Irish are big on potatoes - and they are - but their idea of mashed potatoes is to smash them with fork before you serve them. None of them had ever had real mashed potatoes :D or cranberry sauce for that matter or just about anything we had on the table. We explained the traditions of the meal, why we celebrate it, and how everything was made before we finished. It was a truly blessed evening. NO ONE FOUGHT!! NO ONE GOT DRUNK!! And we had some WONDERFUL wine with dinner and after dinner, we had the Irish contribution to the meal - trifle If you have never had trifle before, I suggest you try it. It's cake and fruit and cream layered in a bowl and soaked in booze.

I will never forget that meal or the blessed evening we had afterwards sitting around the piano playing sings and singing - I pray that your thanksgiving this year is half as much fun :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
If Joe will shoot and clean the rabbits for me, I'll bring fried rabbit to go with jukes' piggie. 'Cause you just can't have only 1 meat at Thanksgiving!

Otherwise, I'll just stick with brown sugar shortbread and chocolate chip biscotti...

BTW, Br. Max, that sounds like it was a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.