Alberta, Canada
✟8,916.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So something a bit strange happened the other week during service. My team lead randomly booted me into leading a song (not entirely uncommon - it sucks having your big brother as team lead sometimes) what was strange was after. I had a good chunk of the congregation come up and tell me how good it sounded, or how peaceful my voice made them feel.. etc. Now. I am up there with my team 2 times of month if not more. My church knows my voice. And yet that day they were telling me that they are always "so blessed" when they see and hear me on stage.

This is my question: WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT?!
Yes, I have a gift. No, It's not that great. Or I would be performing professionally. Yes, it's a passion. But I don't want their compliments to go to my head. Cause they very well could. But yet, they took the time to search me out, speak to me (and since I am usually chasing after my kid after service, I am not always easy to find nor speak to) so I do want to acknowledge what they say. Make sense?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet that day they were telling me that they are always "so blessed" when they see and hear me on stage.
This is my question: WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT?!
That has been a perennial problem for me for 30 years. (at least)

I have led worship off and on since 1975. (college days) Since leaving that congregation (where no one complimented anyone like that) I have had to field the occasional compliment, and a couple of times have gotten really angry and blew up at the complimentor. :(

In talking to a couple of pastors about this, they said just say "Thank You!" and smile at them.

So that is what I have done.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just need input from it going to my head.
Most artists are like that - it goes to their head. I am not sure that musicians are worse than other performing artists, but it seems to be endemic across the board.

Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT HERE, SHADOWSCHILD.
GOD HAS GIVING YOU AN ANOINTING. WHEN YOU PLAY YOU BRING A MEASURE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD.iT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GOOD YOU ARE. YOUR NAME YOU PICKED TELLS ME A LOT .ANOTHER NAME FOR SHADOWS IS BLUEPRINT.THE TABERNACLE IN THE WILDNESS WAS A BLUEPRINT OF THE ONE IN HEAVEN,GET IT,ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN,GOD COMES DOWN.SOME WHERE IN THAT ANOINTING IS A BLUEPRINT.PRAY ABOUT ALL THIS.
AS FAR AS THE COMPLIMENTS,JUST SAY THANK YOU AND WHEN YOU ARE ALONE WITH GOD GIVE IT TO HIM.

Upvote 0