Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I’ve never met anyone who explicitly used Obama’s middle name in casual conversation who wasn’t a bigot...

I was about to make the same point, but Todd beat me to it - it's not casual conversation and nobody's fooling any of us.

Then b y Todd's standards it isn't bigotry - but name calling seems to be easier than addressing the topic.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you ashamed of the man's middle name, or just commenting on what you think the motive of the poster is instead of addressing the topic of the thread?
Ashamed? What's there to be ashamed of? I happen to like name Hussein.
is there a time limit for discussing American Politics?
Typically we'd be discussing things that are relevant to current politics but I can understand why some might try to avoid such a depressing topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The five men were incarcerated at the U.S. military prison in southeast Cuba because they held positions of great importance with the terrorist group, including Chief of Staff of the Taliban Army and the Taliban Deputy Minister of Intelligence. One U.S. Senator referred to the freed jihadists as the “Taliban Dream Team.”

That did not stop Obama from swapping them for a disgraced Army solider, Bowe Bergdahl, who was captured by the Taliban after deserting his post in Afghanistan. The secret exchange violated the law and written White House rules. The nonpartisan investigative arm of Congress, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), determined that the president broke a “clear and unambiguous” law when he traded the high-level terrorists for Bergdahl, who went AWOL in Afghanistan in 2009.

Gitmo Terrorists Obama Traded for Army Deserter “Reinforce” Taliban in Qatar

If you had a spine......

Can a president fix things for us? --

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, in mortal man, who cannot save.

Isaiah 2:22 Put no more trust in man, who has only the breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?

...But, what can help America. And us?

What does work then?

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

(31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.)

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We? You got a frog in your pocket?

Obama

Barack Hussein Obama

These links don’t contribute in any way to what I’m addressing. Obviously. But the second one is a great example of bigotry in action. So thanks for perpetuating that.

The thread isn't casual conversation - hence by your standards it can not be bigotry.
This thread obviously is casual conversation to me, or I wouldn’t have brought it up.

But you keep trying to deflect. It’s entertaining, the lengths people will go to.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

From article:
In fact, a one-time Gitmo captive became an Al Qaeda chief who masterminded a U.S. Embassy bombing after getting released, according to a mainstream newspaper. His name is Said Ali al-Shihri and after leaving Gitmo he became an Al Qaeda deputy chief in Yemen
and he organized a deadly bombing of the United States Embassy in Yemen’s capital.

The amount of blood spilled to capture these enemies of freedom, and the amount of blood spilled is a matter of indifference to Obama and those who support him.
It is breach of trust with the soldiers and the embassy workers who put themselves in harms way in order to keep the forces of Islamic nihilism at bay.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
From article:
In fact, a one-time Gitmo captive became an Al Qaeda chief who masterminded a U.S. Embassy bombing after getting released, according to a mainstream newspaper. His name is Said Ali al-Shihri and after leaving Gitmo he became an Al Qaeda deputy chief in Yemen
and he organized a deadly bombing of the United States Embassy in Yemen’s capital.

The amount of blood spilled to capture these enemies of freedom, and the amount of blood spilled is a matter of indifference to Obama and those who support him.
It is breach of trust with the soldiers and the embassy workers who put themselves in harms way in order to keep the forces of Islamic nihilism at bay.

And to Bush and his supporters too, apparently. As I posted above, that guy was released under Bush’s watch and ultimately killed under Obama’s watch.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it is his name. However, most people (Barack Obama included) do not normally use their middle names. The only person who ever uses mine is my mother when she's angry at me.

Personally, I try to use whatever name someone prefers to use. For example, I have a friend who went by his middle name for the first half of his life. In fact, I didn't even know it was his middle name until I'd known him for close to ten years. However, now that he's switched to using his first name, I respect that and refer to him by that name.

I'm about 98% sure that site is a parody, and as such, does not help your point. Of course Poe's Law applies, so it may be legit, but if so, that's pretty disturbing and I don't see why you would post it.

The thread isn't casual conversation - hence by your standards it can not be bigotry.
It is casual conversation. We aren't performing a musical act, engaging in formal debate, or reciting poetry. There is no logical reason that I can see for using Obama's middle name - we aren't discussing multiple Barack Obamas, so there's no need to disambiguate; there is no rhythm or meter to a forum post that requires a certain number of syllables to flow a certain way; and the man himself does not use his middle name when referring to himself, and as such, has expressed no desire to be called by his middle name.

That leaves me with dogwhistled bigotry. Unless you have an alternate explanation?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Then b y Todd's standards it isn't bigotry - but name calling seems to be easier than addressing the topic.

Considering that the whole thread is nothing more than a weak attempt at insulting Obama, I would argue that picking apart the components of that insult is addressing the topic. The Islamophobic dog-whistle of using his middle name is one part of that insult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's a judgement it isn't good to make -- John 7:24, Matthew 7:1-2. Instead, trust in God, Who knows all things, and "will repay each according to his deeds" (Romans 2:6). That's good enough for us.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering that the whole thread is nothing more than a weak attempt at insulting Obama, I would argue that picking apart the components of that insult is addressing the topic. The Islamophobic dog-whistle of using his middle name is one part of that insult.

It's so obvious that the purpose of this thread was an attempt to insult Barack Obama. Why else would a conservative who doesn't like Obama emphasize his middle name if not in an attempt to insult him and connect him with Islam? And the defensive tactic of "Are you ashamed of his middle name?" is nonsense and it isn't fooling anyone. The title could have simply been "Thank you Barack Obama" but a specific point was made to emphasize Obama's middle name in the thread title.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks to the few that are actually replying to the topic of the thread.

If you want people to take your thread seriously, don't use bigoted dog-whistles in the title.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You brought the criticism on yourself. Seriously, the use of the middle
name is reprehensible and beneath the dignity of anyone who represents themselves as a good person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Definitely.

There is no such thing as this body we are in being safe, and being lucky enough to capture more terrorists is good, but....it's not enough to give anyone true safety.

"...for dust you are and to dust you will return."

There is only one true safety, for all mankind, and no matter if we die today, tomorrow, or in 15 years. There is only 1 safety alone. Faith in Jesus, our Redeemer, and following Him.

So, therefore Obama security mistakes and successes, both, don't matter very much over time. There is no such thing as real physical security here on Earth. That's only an illusion.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You brought the criticism on yourself. Seriously, the use of the middle
name is reprehensible and beneath the dignity of anyone who represents themselves as a good person.

Please stay on topic.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The emphasis on "Hussein" when referring to the former President normally happens when right wing bigots are not acting their age or their race. I am not goading, I am emphasizing the importance of the wrongfulness in using the middle name that way.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please stay on topic.

Your subject includes a bigoted dog-whistle and your OP concludes with an allegation that he lacks a spine. You made insults part of the topic.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please stay on topic.
Unless you retract, this issue will not, and should not, go away. A simple retraction is all that is needed. Not asking for apology, just retraction.

Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0