Texas Senate drops "White Supremacy is bad" requirement from education bill

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sadly they need to be taught racial supremacy is wrong. And politicians on both sides need to stop pleasing the extreme left and right.
I don't believe morality should be taught in schools for the same reasons i don't believe religion should be taught in schools

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe morality should be taught in schools for the same reasons i don't believe religion should be taught in schools
Religions shouldn't be taught in school. Because there are to many religions, that believe they're the only true religion. And no proof of a God. This has nothing to with teaching kids how to behave towards people.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Cheating on say, tests, isn’t “fine”, (I’m sure), in your opinion. Maybe they should teach why it isn’t, that’ll come awfully close to “teaching morality” though.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Religions shouldn't be taught in school. Because there are to many religions, that believe they're the only true religion. And no proof of a God. This has nothing to with teaching kids how to behave towards people.
I don't think how you behave towards someone necessarily have to do with morality. I can believe you are immoral and going to go to hell, yet still treat you with respect and kindness.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Cheating on say, tests, isn’t “fine”, (I’m sure), in your opinion. Maybe they should teach why it isn’t, that’ll come awfully close to “teaching morality” though.
They teach cheating on a test is against the rules; not that it is immoral

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They teach cheating on a test is against the rules; not that it is immoral

Indeed -- nothing says modern education like obedience without context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Work how and to what ends?

To the ends that any government should "work" in this country:
  • form a more perfect union,
  • establish justice,
  • insure domestic tranquility,
  • provide for the common defense,
  • promote the general Welfare,
  • secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To the ends that any government should "work" in this country:
  • form a more perfect union,
  • establish justice,
  • insure domestic tranquility,
  • provide for the common defense,
  • promote the general Welfare,
  • secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity

Absolutely! And don't you think that those are either skewed or outright squandered under the left's agenda? To demonstrate respectful to your list there:

DC statehood moves us away from "more perfect" and instead ignores the reasons why the nation's capitol was decided to be "stateless."

Justice, for the left now has qualifiers for the sake of equity: words like "racial","climate","gender", and "economic" all go in front of justice now. It then either implies the government needs more power, or that certain groups are more deserving of "justice" than others. Justice, in and of itself, is an individual right. There is no collective justice that resembles or embodies true justice.

As governments ignored riots, the burning of businesses, looting, and the tearing down of any historic monument that anarchists could get their hands on, our current government (local, state, and federal) have all failed us.

Calls to defund the military and police have been shouted for years. Again, contradicts this position

But the left swaps the word "promote" to "provide"

There is no securing of liberty with mask mandates and vaccine passports, and our posterity is either weakened or completely eradicated under massive debt and inflation.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely! And don't you think that those are either skewed or outright squandered under the left's agenda?

No, I don't.

To demonstrate respectful to your list there:

DC statehood moves us away from "more perfect" and instead ignores the reasons why the nation's capitol was decided to be "stateless."

Nonsensical. Our union will be just as fine with 51 states as it would with 50. (52, actually, if the GOP would grant Puerto Rico the statehood it wants)

Justice, for the left now has qualifiers for the sake of equity: words like "racial","climate","gender", and "economic" all go in front of justice now. It then either implies the government needs more power, or that certain groups are more deserving of "justice" than others. Justice, in and of itself, is an individual right. There is no collective justice that resembles or embodies true justice.

That is your opinion, however, I say that Justice does not exist "in and of itself," but rather is the result of the fair and equal application of the law. If the law is not being applied fairly and equally across the board, that is an issue which must be corrected, because in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, "injustice anywhere is a threat to Justice everywhere."

As governments ignored riots, the burning of businesses, looting, and the tearing down of any historic monument that anarchists could get their hands on, our current government (local, state, and federal) have all failed us.

First of all, the government hardly "ignored" the riots, but they ignored the causes of those riots... which in turn, caused more riots. "When the looting starts the shooting starts" was not the message our government should have been sending... witness the result.

But if, as you say, the government has failed us,all the more reason to change leadership -- which we did last November.

Calls to defund the military and police have been shouted for years. Again, contradicts this position

They would, if they meant what you've been ordered to think they mean.

But the left swaps the word "promote" to "provide"

And you blame everything on the left as a matter of convenience -- so much for the more perfect union and the domestic tranquility.

There is no securing of liberty with mask mandates and vaccine passports,

No more so than the rationing of gas, food, and nearly everything else during WWII -- but people did it anyway because they realized there were more important things to think about than "me, Me, ME!"

A message we seem to have lost somewhere along the line.

and our posterity is either weakened or completely eradicated under massive debt and inflation.

If that is true, then you're making an excellent case that our current system isn't working. Might be time to be looking into ways to fix it... long past time, IMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No more so than the rationing of gas, food, and nearly everything else during WWII -- but people did it anyway because they realized there were more important things to think about than "me, Me, ME!"

How about "my neighbor, my neighbor, my neighbor"...such things affect 153M people negatively. Conservatives have had a historic "self-centered" problem when framing their arguments, I agree...I reject that.

If that is true, then you're making an excellent case that our current system isn't working. Might be time to be looking into ways to fix it... long past time, IMHO.

I've advocated my solution: repeal the 16th amendment. Stop taking everyone's money from them...the money they earned from THEIR labors alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How about "my neighbor, my neighbor, my neighbor".

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Liberal claptrap, I know, but the government didn't ask anywhere near as much -- just cover your mouth and nose before you get on the bus.

..such things affect 153M people negatively

Does that figure include the 600,000 dead? Because they were affected quite negatively.

Conservatives have had a historic "self-centered" problem when framing their arguments, I agree...I reject that.

might want to be a bit more vocal, in the interest of maintaining credibility... Just sayin'

I've advocated my solution: repeal the 16th amendment. Stop taking everyone's money from them...the money they earned from THEIR labors alone.

And how much money are you earning from your labors "alone"? Obama caught a lot of flak for his line: "Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that," but the fact that you're demanding money, and not using the barter system, shows he had a point.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,815.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I definitely think history class should be impartial and give multiple viewpoints. I don't know what racial/cultural relations are like in Texas but would it be easy enough to bring in native and other cultural guest teachers in to give alternative views? Or, have a rotation of history teachers who all come from different backgrounds? Or require history teachers to have relationships and knowledge of different cultural interpretations as a requirement for the job?

Sure, let's teach WWII with strong debate from those who support the ideas and actions of both sides.

Perhaps, we need to given equal time for those who believe that world is flat, or that US didn't land men on the moon.

I do overshoot. If the people of Texas wantg their students taught falsehoods and lies, it is their right.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sure, let's teach WWII with strong debate from those who support the ideas and actions of both sides.

Perhaps, we need to given equal time for those who believe that world is flat, or that US didn't land men on the moon.

I do overshoot. If the people of Texas wantg their students taught falsehoods and lies, it is their right.

It also helps Texas that they've cut MLK out of the required curriculum...

Upvote 0