Texas pastors demand a “religious liberty” exemption to coronavirus stay-at-home orders

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That restriction on in-person worship services has sparked a lawsuit, filed by three Texas pastors and Steven Hotze, a medical doctor and anti-LGBT Republican activist whose political action committee was labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. These four men ask the Texas Supreme Court to strike down Hidalgo’s order, claiming, among other things, that it violates the “religious liberty” of pastors who wish to gather their parishioners together during a pandemic.

The case is named In re Hotze.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When all the established Christian churches (i.e., Catholic, Orthodox, mainline Protestants) have followed their own bishops' good counsel in listening to medical professionals and decided to livestream only small gatherings (from what I've seen from my own Church, generally just a priest/bishop, deacon, and cantor) and minister to the world in that way, it is painfully obvious that the leaders of these more fringe sects are not exhibiting wisdom in keeping with guarding their flocks wisely. I honestly worry for any people who might try to gather with them, and of course the wider society that they could then come into contact with.

In other words, this just screams "LOOK AT ME! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!", which is really bad form from Christians at a time like this (or ever). Whatever happened to "All things are are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful"? I'm pretty sure their Bibles have 1 Corinthians, too.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble"

And yet the fire marshal can set maximum occupancy limits for rooms in the interests of public safety. Similarly, in the case of the current health emergency, the government can infringe rights if there is a compelling interest.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,689.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble"
Assembling in a such a manner as is likely to lead to illness and death is not peaceable.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
And yet the fire marshal can set maximum occupancy limits for rooms in the interests of public safety. Similarly, in the case of the current health emergency, the government can infringe rights if there is a compelling interest.
IMO such rules are unconstitutional.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMO such rules are unconstitutional.

Your beliefs on the matter are meaningless, a church doesn't have the right to spread disease and risk other peoples lives. I would think a church would NOT want to do that anyway.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Give them their waver, so long as they sign another that places them at the bottom of any triage list should they fall ill and require care for the virus they are helping spread.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,152.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your beliefs on the matter are meaningless, a church doesn't have the right to spread disease and risk other peoples lives. I would think a church would NOT want to do that anyway.
Perhaps if they put a sign on the door 'Pass the plate and hold the virus".

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The foundation of the united States republic is based on innocence until guilt is proven, rather than guilt presumed (infected) before proving innocence (health).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Freedom of assembly like every other right is contextual and non-absolute.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The foundation of the united States republic is based on innocence until guilt is proven, rather than guilt presumed (infected) before proving innocence (health).

The pandemic doesn't care about such things, with good chance you can be sick and not know and spread, you don't get such rights.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

And the public health and thus a public health emergency is one of the core reasons governments exist.

Protecting your liberties is also a core reason but when these two conflict we have to make decisions on what trumps what so to speak.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0