Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I just tend to see more sanity in red-places compared to blue. But, it’s mainly about who has the most active and populated young adult community in all honesty (long-term).
Frankly, of the seven states I've lived in the one that has the largest and most active young adult communities has been the DC area. The problem is that people don't venture outside of their jurisdiction as much as they should nor as much as I'd like them to. But, since I'm going to be living here long term from the looks of things, I have decided that my mission in life will be to encourage more pan-Orthodoxy between them.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, of the seven states I've lived in the one that has the largest and most active young adult communities has been the DC area. The problem is that people don't venture outside of their jurisdiction as much as they should nor as much as I'd like them to. But, since I'm going to be living here long term from the looks of things, I have decided that my mission in life will be to encourage more pan-Orthodoxy between them.
there was similar beef between jurisdictions where I am, but just recently one of the other priests wanted to get with me for coffee, so here’s to hoping.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where did you decide to go if I may ask?

It was because of my second marriage. I am now living in CRAZY LAND - AKA Northern Virginia, i.e. Fairfax County, or as we refer to it here . . . FairTAX county. Our governor recently made an announcement to the counties of Virginia strongly suggesting that the "Property Tax" on automobiles should be dropped. Fairfax County, an absolute bastion of Liberal Nutcases in line with California in what they do, basically said . . . well, we don't say such things in polite company.

CRAZY LAND

1. The I-495 Beltway is a horror story. I-95 is even worse. Drivers here all seem to think they are in the Indy 500. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen cars cross three lanes of highway at over 70 MPH because they suddenly realized they were about to miss their off ramp, barely (and I mean by scant INCHES) missing the cars they cut in front of.

2. School Board - they are pushing on the children in these schools every nasty, degenerate, pro-sodomite, pro-transgender piece of filth they can get away with and the people simply don't care. We had a slate of fine, conservative, Christian people run for school board, nine members in all, and not a one of them was elected. I have addressed the school board three times, speaking about my experiences in the so-called "Sexual Revolution" of the 1960's and how it greatly harmed my life. From the look on their collective faces, I'm surprised that not at least one of them didn't openly yawn right in my face.

3. Taxes - The most highly taxed area you can imagine. I wonder when they are going to tax the air we breathe? The only props I will give them in this regard is that I play in a softball league that uses the county athletic fields and they do a really great job of keeping these fields in tip top playing condition. Other than that . . . meeeeeaaaah!!

4. Expensive - The last time I looked, Fairfax County was the second most expensive county in the USA in which to live. Los Angeles county being the first. The pricing here is ridiculous, especially houses. A piece of junk cracker box house that would cost $160K in other areas is around $400K here. Mega mansions everywhere. Sheeesh!

5. Rising Crime - It appears to be bleeding out from the District of Columbia, which is right next door.

Should have stayed in Taxylvania. Bad taxes, good people.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wait, you mean the Beltway isn't the Indy 500? Man, I've been wrong this whole time.....
Kidding. I think Virginia drivers grind my gears more then the Marylanders simply because most Virginia accidents are self-induced by slow, clueless drivers who don't pay attention nor have a care in the world for anyone or anything outside their windshield. If Virginians could learn to look before they merge or change lanes their accident rate would drop by at least 87%

I can't wait to move back to Maryland simply because while the drivers are equally insane, albeit in a different way, there are at least redeemable qualities to it. Better food, better people, more things going on, and marginally less expensive housing. Virginians are just unnecessarily vicious about every. little. thing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think Virginia drivers grind my gears more then the Marylanders simply because most Virginia accidents are self-induced by slow, clueless drivers who don't pay attention nor have a care in the world for anyone or anything outside their windshield.
you should check out South Carolina

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was because of my second marriage. I am now living in CRAZY LAND - AKA Northern Virginia, i.e. Fairfax County, or as we refer to it here . . . FairTAX county. Our governor recently made an announcement to the counties of Virginia strongly suggesting that the "Property Tax" on automobiles should be dropped. Fairfax County, an absolute bastion of Liberal Nutcases in line with California in what they do, basically said . . . well, we don't say such things in polite company.

CRAZY LAND

1. The I-495 Beltway is a horror story. I-95 is even worse. Drivers here all seem to think they are in the Indy 500. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen cars cross three lanes of highway at over 70 MPH because they suddenly realized they were about to miss their off ramp, barely (and I mean by scant INCHES) missing the cars they cut in front of.
I've never been in NoVA and able to drive faster than 40 due to traffic! We go up the Eastern Shore when we go to Boston to avoid the DC mess.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm partial to the Tampa area. I have not lived in Dallas, but I have visited a few times...it is a nice city, but the traffic is way worse than Tampa and I don't care that it is so far from the coast. The climate in Tampa is a bit more mild too, Dallas gets very hot and also cold enough to snow in the winter. Maybe that is a "plus", however.

Tampa has grown a LOT in the last 20 years, broadly it has kept up pretty well in regards to infrastructure and amenities. The amount of different foods and entertainment options has improved exponentially since 2000. Sports are affordable still, you can get tickets to the Rays for as little as $10 and there are several minor league teams that do $1 and $2 night ($1 ticket, food, beer, soda, etc.). The beaches are world class and there are lots of other outdoor activities. About the worst thing is that the summers are very hot and it rains in the afternoon almost every day from July through September. On the flip side, the weather is fantastic from November through May.

I can't comment on the Orthodox communities outside of that there is a large Greek Orthodox community in the metro area along with a few OCA and Antiochian parishes.

If possible it would be good to visit each area for a week or so, you really need to get a feel for the cities.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm partial to the Tampa area. I have not lived in Dallas, but I have visited a few times...it is a nice city, but the traffic is way worse than Tampa and I don't care that it is so far from the coast. The climate in Tampa is a bit more mild too, Dallas gets very hot and also cold enough to snow in the winter. Maybe that is a "plus", however.

Tampa has grown a LOT in the last 20 years, broadly it has kept up pretty well in regards to infrastructure and amenities. The amount of different foods and entertainment options has improved exponentially since 2000. Sports are affordable still, you can get tickets to the Rays for as little as $10 and there are several minor league teams that do $1 and $2 night ($1 ticket, food, beer, soda, etc.). The beaches are world class and there are lots of other outdoor activities. About the worst thing is that the summers are very hot and it rains in the afternoon almost every day from July through September. On the flip side, the weather is fantastic from November through May.

I can't comment on the Orthodox communities outside of that there is a large Greek Orthodox community in the metro area along with a few OCA and Antiochian parishes.

If possible it would be good to visit each area for a week or so, you really need to get a feel for the cities.
Thanks for this! I’m planning on visiting really soon for a few weekends. Any areas your recommend?

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for this! I’m planning on visiting really soon for a few weekends. Any areas your recommend?
Tarpon Springs is a lot of fun, it is a Greek community about 30 minutes Northwest of Tampa. Lots of Orthodox churches and great Greek food. It's fun for a afternoon and dinner, assuming you like Greek food.

Are you intending on visiting for fun or more for checking out the living situation? May I ask what your budget is if you intend on buying or renting? Most of the more "affordable" parts of the city are in the suburbs or in the not great parts of town, but there are a few OK areas that are close to town and still fairly affordable.

Are you looking for more urban or suburban lifestyle?

The most fun parts of the city are both Tampa and St. Pete down towns (there is a ferry between them as well), the beaches, Busch Gardens, various art and history museums, the Tampa Riverwalk, Armature Works (a food hall in downtown Tampa that is on the Riverwalk).

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Tarpon Springs is a lot of fun, it is a Greek community about 30 minutes Northwest of Tampa. Lots of Orthodox churches and great Greek food. It's fun for a afternoon and dinner, assuming you like Greek food.

Are you intending on visiting for fun or more for checking out the living situation? May I ask what your budget is if you intend on buying or renting? Most of the more "affordable" parts of the city are in the suburbs or in the not great parts of town, but there are a few OK areas that are close to town and still fairly affordable.

Are you looking for more urban or suburban lifestyle?

The most fun parts of the city are both Tampa and St. Pete down towns (there is a ferry between them as well), the beaches, Busch Gardens, various art and history museums, the Tampa Riverwalk, Armature Works (a food hall in downtown Tampa that is on the Riverwalk).
Checking out the living situation. I’ll be renting for a while until I get to know the area and then I’ll probably buy. Budget is around 2k per month for rent. I’m looking for more urban due to being in my later 20s. Been thinking either South Tampa (Hyde Park or SoHo) or Downtown St. Pete due to that being where the younger population is and it’s close to the Orthodox Churches. Any insight given all of this new info?

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Checking out the living situation. I’ll be renting for a while until I get to know the area and then I’ll probably buy. Budget is around 2k per month for rent. I’m looking for more urban due to being in my later 20s. Been thinking either South Tampa (Hyde Park or SoHo) or Downtown St. Pete due to that being where the younger population is and it’s close to the Orthodox Churches. Any insight given all of this new info?
South Tampa has flooding issues in many of the streets, they have been trying to fix it for decades. That said, it is one of the more upscale parts of town. Hyde Park has less of those issues and is a nice and walkable community within the South Tampa area. You probably already know, but there is a big Greek Orthodox church in Hyde Park.

The Westshore area is close to South Tampa but without flooding issues, my wife lived there for a couple of years before she moved to another part of the city called Town and Country that is a lot cheaper, but less convenient and has a lot of petty crime. Westshore has a number of nice apartment buildings that are worth looking at. Westshore also gives good connections to the highways and airport, if you need that.

Downtown St. Pete is nice, but it is smaller than many people realize, and it is surrounded by a really rough part of the city with a lot of crime. But having the water taxi to Tampa and the Rays and Rowdies is great if you like sports, the St. Pete grand prix is a lot of fun, I go every year. There are a lot of good restaurants in St. Pete, and the whole downtown area is really walkable.

If you are looking for a job you will want to consider being on the side of the Bay that your job is on, the bridge can be a real issue during traffic hours. Feathersound and Westshore are on opposite ends of the bridge, the former in Pinellas County and the later in Hillsborough, both areas have a lot of nice apartments that may be worth looking at.

If you are looking for the "beach" lifestyle you probably want to be in Pinellas County, St. Pete is only 20 minutes from the gulf. However, nowhere in the city is further than an hour from the gulf and downtown Tampa and Hyde Park are on the Bay.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having left PA, I would say not to be too bummed out. The state is purple at best, but the cities where you will find the most Orthodox parishes, especially Pittsburgh, are bright blue. Democrats depend on Pittsburgh and Philly to get them over the top every year, which is sad because both cities have high concentrations of Catholics and Orthodox.
Love the Moody Blues reference by your avatar

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We went from moving across the world to Florida or Texas to find a wife! Hold on a minute, mister...being married isn't that great!

To answer the question, I'd recommend Houston Texas. A lot of churches, including American converts at Fr John Whiteford's. Two Orthodox schools in the city too. This is important when having a family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We went from moving across the world to Florida or Texas to find a wife! Hold on a minute, mister...being married isn't that great!
Haha, tell me more!
To answer the question, I'd recommend Houston Texas. A lot of churches, including American converts at Fr John Whiteford's. Two Orthodox schools in the city too. This is important when having a family.
Yeah, that’s where my spiritual father initially recommended. Good to know - thanks!

It’s hard leaving Nashville, TN due to having my business there and a network already created and cultivated. But, who knows what I’ll do in a years time.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haha, tell me more!

Yeah, that’s where my spiritual father initially recommended. Good to know - thanks!

It’s hard leaving Nashville, TN due to having my business there and a network already created and cultivated. But, who knows what I’ll do in a years time.
Isn't there OCA in Nashville? I hear the bishop isn't great, but what are you going to do?

Concerning marriage, it is very hard for young men these days to have strong marriages. Society does not add a pressure through shame to dissuade divorce and in long term relational dynamics men and women constantly seek to master the other. The way men go about it is very straightforward--generally through aggression (verbal or physical) and financial. A woman is not going to leave a man that either "puts her in her place" or pays all the bills and has a LLC so if there was a divorce and a prenupt she couldn't get any of its assets.

A woman seeks to master the man through constant needling, manipulation, leveraging the loss of her affections or his resources.

Because of our sin, men very often exercise their mastery-behavior and women theirs and this leads to conflict. Sadly, simply being like Christ does not defuse the conflict either. Simply accepting aggressive male behavior on the female side does not stop it (as the goal is continual submission) nor does actually being sensitive to what a wife thinks she needs (i.e. needs that vacation, live in that community, not talk to that mutual friend who is female, etcetera). In fact, the more the man gives in, the more this is perceived as weekness and she will push harder and harder. It is literally *the opposite* of what society will lying tell you (about compromise).

Now to bring this back to religion, there is a reason why Saints Peter and Paul warn men not to be abusive to their wives and to live with them in an understanding way and they tell wives to be submissive and to get their way with their husbands through positive behavior and not words. They understand the preceding dynamic. Unless one repents in a gender-specific way, most likely, they will not be able to overcome the sinful instincts that will otherwise govern their approach to the marital relationship. The demons tend not to come up with new tricks, they use the same old plays. One spiritual father (a highly placed monastic) even gave the advice for men, "Always seek leverage in the relationship." Without leverage, the wife can become ungovernable, which as the head of the household, the man is supposed at least to have some sort of executive power. If everything is a democratic mutual decision, let's be honest, the wife is the boss and she's going to get her way. But the more she does, the more she will seek to dominate every aspect of the relationship. As Eve was warned, "And your desire will be for your husband." The saints teach this speaks to domination, not to affections.

Now the preceding is "scandalous" because everyone is going to pretend "well it does not work that way for me" or "this is sexist" despite me laying out what is negative for both sides. In the past, the Church would have told woman to silently endure abuse, even sexual infidelity, and while this kept marriages and family's together it did so at exposing wives to trauma. Now, it has gone totally the other way. The clergy are not equipped to deal with passive aggressive female behaviors. I even laid out as an example here someone I know who is dealing with a seriously mentally ill wife who instead of being corrected ever so nicely by the priest to return to spiritual principles like trust, submission, quietness, etcetera told the husband, "You'll have to pray to bear her mental illness." So the husband is abused and the advice is take more abuse. Sure, there's a highly ascetic application for this that works for the saints, but it is totally impracticable in the real world to keep stable families together. Abuse against men, as delineated above, is not criminal behavior. But just like male abuse, it serves the same relational purpose--to exercise leverage in the relationship and gain dominance.

Sadly, simply conceding dominance does not fix things. The one who is dominant will just cheat, start a new relationship, etcetera.

What is the answer? It is in the sacrament of marriage. It's in both the husband and spouse being like Christ, not making record of wrongs, forgiving past faults, repenting from whatever tendencies they have to be served rather than serve and the means that they will sinfully exploit to otherwise gain mastery. It is not very complicated. Whoever is aggressive, must stop. WHoever is manipulative, msut stop. Whoever cannot forgive, must forgive. Constant repentance. Constant mutual service. Anything else is shameful and not conducive to a joyful marriage.

Now find 1. a woman on board with this, 2. a spiritual father on board with this, and 3. having a means to maintain leverage as head of the household, and 4. real accountability to fight your own sinful relational tendencies. Yet, most people are just happy enough to find a spouse that looks good enough and won't negatively effect their social strata. People marry for the wrong reasons and with the wrong expectations.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Isn't there OCA in Nashville? I hear the bishop isn't great, but what are you going to do?

Concerning marriage, it is very hard for young men these days to have strong marriages. Society does not add a pressure through shame to dissuade divorce and in long term relational dynamics men and women constantly seek to master the other. The way men go about it is very straightforward--generally through aggression (verbal or physical) and financial. A woman is not going to leave a man that either "puts her in her place" or pays all the bills and has a LLC so if there was a divorce and a prenupt she couldn't get any of its assets.

A woman seeks to master the man through constant needling, manipulation, leveraging the loss of her affections or his resources.

Because of our sin, men very often exercise their mastery-behavior and women theirs and this leads to conflict. Sadly, simply being like Christ does not defuse the conflict either. Simply accepting aggressive male behavior on the female side does not stop it (as the goal is continual submission) nor does actually being sensitive to what a wife thinks she needs (i.e. needs that vacation, live in that community, not talk to that mutual friend who is female, etcetera). In fact, the more the man gives in, the more this is perceived as weekness and she will push harder and harder. It is literally *the opposite* of what society will lying tell you (about compromise).

Now to bring this back to religion, there is a reason why Saints Peter and Paul warn men not to be abusive to their wives and to live with them in an understanding way and they tell wives to be submissive and to get their way with their husbands through positive behavior and not words. They understand the preceding dynamic. Unless one repents in a gender-specific way, most likely, they will not be able to overcome the sinful instincts that will otherwise govern their approach to the marital relationship. The demons tend not to come up with new tricks, they use the same old plays. One spiritual father (a highly placed monastic) even gave the advice for men, "Always seek leverage in the relationship." Without leverage, the wife can become ungovernable, which as the head of the household, the man is supposed at least to have some sort of executive power. If everything is a democratic mutual decision, let's be honest, the wife is the boss and she's going to get her way. But the more she does, the more she will seek to dominate every aspect of the relationship. As Eve was warned, "And your desire will be for your husband." The saints teach this speaks to domination, not to affections.

Now the preceding is "scandalous" because everyone is going to pretend "well it does not work that way for me" or "this is sexist" despite me laying out what is negative for both sides. In the past, the Church would have told woman to silently endure abuse, even sexual infidelity, and while this kept marriages and family's together it did so at exposing wives to trauma. Now, it has gone totally the other way. The clergy are not equipped to deal with passive aggressive female behaviors. I even laid out as an example here someone I know who is dealing with a seriously mentally ill wife who instead of being corrected ever so nicely by the priest to return to spiritual principles like trust, submission, quietness, etcetera told the husband, "You'll have to pray to bear her mental illness." So the husband is abused and the advice is take more abuse. Sure, there's a highly ascetic application for this that works for the saints, but it is totally impracticable in the real world to keep stable families together. Abuse against men, as delineated above, is not criminal behavior. But just like male abuse, it serves the same relational purpose--to exercise leverage in the relationship and gain dominance.

Sadly, simply conceding dominance does not fix things. The one who is dominant will just cheat, start a new relationship, etcetera.

What is the answer? It is in the sacrament of marriage. It's in both the husband and spouse being like Christ, not making record of wrongs, forgiving past faults, repenting from whatever tendencies they have to be served rather than serve and the means that they will sinfully exploit to otherwise gain mastery. It is not very complicated. Whoever is aggressive, must stop. WHoever is manipulative, msut stop. Whoever cannot forgive, must forgive. Constant repentance. Constant mutual service. Anything else is shameful and not conducive to a joyful marriage.

Now find 1. a woman on board with this, 2. a spiritual father on board with this, and 3. having a means to maintain leverage as head of the household, and 4. real accountability to fight your own sinful relational tendencies. Yet, most people are just happy enough to find a spouse that looks good enough and won't negatively affect their social strata. People marry for the wrong reasons and with the wrong expectations.
I go to a fantastic Antiochian parish. It’s a great home.

This is gold. As a marriage and family therapist myself - this is all so true and it was hard to wrap my mind around it and put it into words as you so eloquently did.

Curious… as a man can you speak more on how to “maintain leverage” and how compromise isn’t always good?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I go to a fantastic Antiochian parish. It’s a great home.

This is gold. As a marriage and family therapist myself - this is all so true and it was hard to wrap my mind around it and put it into words as you so eloquently did.

Curious… as a man can you speak more on how to “maintain leverage” and how compromise isn’t always good?
Question, as a marriage therapist, why are you looking for a spouse? I'd presume you are experienced? I took you as a younger man.

"Leverage" really is not a good thing in all honesty. However, obligation is something that keeps people on the straight and narrow. So, for example, ideally grandparents are very hands-on with their grandchildren out of the goodness of their heart. However, if they have nowhere to live, almost no social security, etcetera and economically rely upon their children the children have more leverage to acquire the services of the grandparents. The grandparents, loving their grandchildren and children oblige and honestly are probably happier being involved with family, but it is the financial leverage exercised over them that in effect forces them to do the right thing.

So, leverage exists in every relationship. The person without leverage is generally at the mercy of the person who has the leverage. This can be abusive, but depending upon the individuals it may also be beneficial. It all depends upon, ultimately, what the person with leverage is demanding of the other person.

For example, if a wife threatens to divorce her husband and create financial Armageddon if he pursues an affair, she in effect is holding her family together. If she does the "Christian" thing and says, "Like Hosea I will forgive you even if you are being adulterous" then most likely the husband will not bother correcting his behavior. Here, exercising leverage is the right thing to do.

As a contrary example, if a wife threatens to divorce her husband and create financial Armageddon if he is doing absolutely nothing wrong, but based on unjustified suspicions, she might have effectually neutered her husband. He'll be walking on egg shells. But she is tearing her family apart. Her relationship with him will not have any trust (even though she is "keeping him honest") and it actually puts the husband in the situation that it would make no difference if he actually went ahead and had an affair. So, sure she has leverage by trying to have one over on him, but to what positive effect? The "Christian" thing to do in this situation would in fact be like God, keep no record of wrongs, and keep one's mind on what is good and pure.

The beauty of both examples is that they demonstrate how leverage can be used both positively and negatively, and that the "Christian" thing is applied situationally as often we lack the discernment to know when God metes out justice, but also when He relents and forgives. He does not do so arbitrarily, He does so with the goal of maximizing our repentance and faith.

So, from the preceding you may see how compromise is not always good. A wife, generally, cannot compromise with a philandering husband. Likewise, a husband cannot compromise with a wife that constantly berates him over things he is not doing. Compromise, in these situations, actually encourages negative, soul and relationship-destroying behaviors.

To sum this up, Sacred Tradition teaches that men should be head of the household and sacrifice for the wife and family, women should submit (but win their husbands over through silent and edifying means), children should obey. There must be a willing consent--but leverage rightly used is what ensures consent to the right things. If people seek to exercise leverage outside of these roles where there is mutual obligations, they disintegrate the very basis for the relationship. To go back to my original example, it would be like the destitute grandparents that won't watch after your kids after school when you are finishing up work and driving home. If those grandparents don't help when they need your help, then you lose your job and can't (and won't) help them. Hence, by fulfilling these mutual obligations, hands are not idle, minds are not in the gutter, and people know their place within a larger organization.

It is simple economics when it comes to marriage. If financial incentives remove the leverage a man has over a relationship, his "headship" borders on fantasy as even a faithful Christian wife will be bombarded by the temptations to dominate her husband and the husband will have little means to stop it, as he has no leverage in which to defend himself. In the same way, if we are to speak of past times, if the Church is to tolerate physical abuse and marital infidelity from the husband and the wife has no means of support apart from him and no recourse from church or state, what leverage does she have to defend herself.

So everyone needs leverage. Everyone seeks leverage. Not everyone uses leverage for the benefit of others, either our of sinfulness or simple ignorance (not knowing what to do). So this requires wisdom, discernment, and the desire to fulfill a function within a relationship that has mutual obligations.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Question, as a marriage therapist, why are you looking for a spouse? I'd presume you are experienced? I took you as a younger man.
I’m not married. Was trained in “systems theory” though and am a therapist by trade. I had a healthy family growing up and good friendships and learned a lot from past romantic relationships. Although, I’m sure I’d be a much better therapist if I were married and had direct experience.
"Leverage" really is not a good thing in all honesty. However, obligation is something that keeps people on the straight and narrow. So, for example, ideally grandparents are very hands-on with their grandchildren out of the goodness of their heart. However, if they have nowhere to live, almost no social security, etcetera and economically rely upon their children the children have more leverage to acquire the services of the grandparents. The grandparents, loving their grandchildren and children oblige and honestly are probably happier being involved with family, but it is the financial leverage exercised over them that in effect forces them to do the right thing.

So, leverage exists in every relationship. The person without leverage is generally at the mercy of the person who has the leverage. This can be abusive, but depending upon the individuals it may also be beneficial. It all depends upon, ultimately, what the person with leverage is demanding of the other person.

For example, if a wife threatens to divorce her husband and create financial Armageddon if he pursues an affair, she in effect is holding her family together. If she does the "Christian" thing and says, "Like Hosea I will forgive you even if you are being adulterous" then most likely the husband will not bother correcting his behavior. Here, exercising leverage is the right thing to do.

As a contrary example, if a wife threatens to divorce her husband and create financial Armageddon if he is doing absolutely nothing wrong, but based on unjustified suspicions, she might have effectually neutered her husband. He'll be walking on egg shells. But she is tearing her family apart. Her relationship with him will not have any trust (even though she is "keeping him honest") and it actually puts the husband in the situation that it would make no difference if he actually went ahead and had an affair. So, sure she has leverage by trying to have one over on him, but to what positive effect? The "Christian" thing to do in this situation would in fact be like God, keep no record of wrongs, and keep one's mind on what is good and pure.

The beauty of both examples is that they demonstrate how leverage can be used both positively and negatively, and that the "Christian" thing is applied situationally as often we lack the discernment to know when God metes out justice, but also when He relents and forgives. He does not do so arbitrarily, He does so with the goal of maximizing our repentance and faith.

So, from the preceding you may see how compromise is not always good. A wife, generally, cannot compromise with a philandering husband. Likewise, a husband cannot compromise with a wife that constantly berates him over things he is not doing. Compromise, in these situations, actually encourages negative, soul and relationship-destroying behaviors.

To sum this up, Sacred Tradition teaches that men should be head of the household and sacrifice for the wife and family, women should submit (but win their husbands over through silent and edifying means), children should obey. There must be a willing consent--but leverage rightly used is what ensures consent to the right things. If people seek to exercise leverage outside of these roles where there is mutual obligations, they disintegrate the very basis for the relationship. To go back to my original example, it would be like the destitute grandparents that won't watch after your kids after school when you are finishing up work and driving home. If those grandparents don't help when they need your help, then you lose your job and can't (and won't) help them. Hence, by fulfilling these mutual obligations, hands are not idle, minds are not in the gutter, and people know their place within a larger organization.

It is simple economics when it comes to marriage. If financial incentives remove the leverage a man has over a relationship, his "headship" borders on fantasy as even a faithful Christian wife will be bombarded by the temptations to dominate her husband and the husband will have little means to stop it, as he has no leverage in which to defend himself. In the same way, if we are to speak of past times, if the Church is to tolerate physical abuse and marital infidelity from the husband and the wife has no means of support apart from him and no recourse from church or state, what leverage does she have to defend herself.

So everyone needs leverage. Everyone seeks leverage. Not everyone uses leverage for the benefit of others, either our of sinfulness or simple ignorance (not knowing what to do). So this requires wisdom, discernment, and the desire to fulfill a function within a relationship that has mutual obligations.
Thanks for all of this. Super helpful. It sounds like you have a bunch of experience yourself!

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0