✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't see the sign. Can you post it?

In order for me to view that site; I have to allow them to write scripts to my computer, that do heaven knows what.

Frankly, I don't trust that company enough to allow them access to control my computer, in exchange for the privilege to consider their propaganda.

I was referring to the hypothetical sign you quoted in your reply but certainly such signs do exist. Which is actually another point against the owner as the couple say they did not see such a sign. If having customers not wearing a mask is that important to him, he needs to put up an easily seen sign outside the door and again inside.

Now on the flip side of all of this is the media and if they influenced how the article sounded at all. I'm sure we all know that the media isn't some impartial holder of truth that it wants to spread, so I always tend to assume the possibility of articles being lent one way or the other. But going solely on the article the owner did not come over well. I would not be surprised if he doesn't lose business based upon it. And if he is as intolerant as the article made him sound then he deserves to lose business. You reap what you sew.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was referring to the hypothetical sign you quoted in your reply but certainly such signs do exist. Which is actually another point against the owner as the couple say they did not see such a sign. If having customers not wearing a mask is that important to him, he needs to put up an easily seen sign outside the door and again inside.

Now on the flip side of all of this is the media and if they influenced how the article sounded at all. I'm sure we all know that the media isn't some impartial holder of truth that it wants to spread, so I always tend to assume the possibility of articles being lent one way or the other. But going solely on the article the owner did not come over well. I would not be surprised if he doesn't lose business based upon it. And if he is as intolerant as the article made him sound then he deserves to lose business. You reap what you sew.

If you don't believe the facts as they are presented, why not do your own research?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't believe the facts as they are presented, why not do your own research?

With what? Another media outlet? Do you believe everything the newspaper says 100%?
I have to assume it was honest reporting while keeping the possibility open that it wasn't.
I do that with anything that I read or hear.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,160.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The couple are both vaccinated, but they have 4 month-old with cystic fibrosis. They mask in public, to reduce the chance they might spread coronavirus to their immunocompromised infant. The restaurant, in Rowlett, TX, north of Dallas, apparently has a strict no-mask policy.

What does it matter if customers wear a mask temporarily? They have to remove it to eat and drink. :doh:

If Yelp has a rating for horrible service, this dive gets 5 stars for stupid, offensive, discriminatory, and inhospitable.

A Texas couple wore face masks at a restaurant to protect their immunocompromised infant. The owner asked them to leave

Aren't Americans always championing about private businesses can do what they want, from the biggest like Google to the smallest like a lemonade stand?

I guess they get what you ask for. Isn't it the case? A business can choose to thrive or fail by its own hands.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Can’t you see how the host not being exposed as much because people are all masked around her is good for her? She’s not around then when they are at the table. If you don’t believe masks work, that’s another matter…

Every restaurant I have been in the server is certainly around the unmasked. They never spend much time standing around the table even when taking orders or delivering food. They come and go, stop by now and then for a refill or check if you need anything.

It's a placebo in these cases, cause they are around people, but not long enough to catch the COVID by people not wearing masks.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Some started their own business. Some went back to school. Some are being a stay-home parent. Some went into another industry. A lot of low-wage workers have quit on the spot recently over working conditions and are shopping around for the best offer. It’s an employee market. What I’m seeing is COVID really brought home for a lot people how much their employer doesn’t care about them. Many were told they were "essential" yet still paid poverty wages.

It certainly is an employee's market right now. That's why nearly every business in my area has a help wanted sign.

But people can't live off nothing. And if you aren't working that's what you should be getting. Nothing. Not these days anyway.

I'm still not seeing where people are getting money to buy what's needed. You haven't offered any explanation on how these people are surviving.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That’s a bit off topic. Workers aren’t getting harassed for not wearing masks. And we all know which group has been the worst. There are far more instances of temper tantrums from anti-maskers. These people are very angry and not mentally stable.

Neither are the maskers. Not yet very anti masker is unstable or angry. Not every masker is unstable or angry either.

There are unstable and angry people around us. I'm an anti-masker. I haven't beaten anyone nor yelled at anyone. My state is full of people like us who don't believe in them. But we wore them when required, even if we thought it was dumb.

In this case I certainly don't think the anti-mask people are any worse than the maskers.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Both sides are getting weird, and unreasonable. Let them wear a mask. Don’t go so far as to throw them out. Just make stuff optional; leave it up to individual diners. Problem solved.

Totally agree. Wear a mask, don't wear a mask. Make a choice and leave people alone who make a different one than you.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Aren't Americans always championing about private businesses can do what they want, from the biggest like Google to the smallest like a lemonade stand?

I guess they get what you ask for. Isn't it the case? A business can choose to thrive or fail by its own hands.

And that's how it should be. A smart business man says "masks optional."

But businesses should have a right to require masks or require that people not wear one. Then they have to deal with a customers choice in whether or not they wish to attend your business.

• Agree
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every restaurant I have been in the server is certainly around the unmasked. They never spend much time standing around the table even when taking orders or delivering food. They come and go, stop by now and then for a refill or check if you need anything.

It's a placebo in these cases, cause they are around people, but not long enough to catch the COVID by people not wearing masks.
I was talking about the host, not the server. That was clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It certainly is an employee's market right now. That's why nearly every business in my area has a help wanted sign.

But people can't live off nothing. And if you aren't working that's what you should be getting. Nothing. Not these days anyway.

I'm still not seeing where people are getting money to buy what's needed. You haven't offered any explanation on how these people are surviving.
Starting your own business, moving into another field, going to school… you can get paid for all of those things. Or be supported by your partner if staying home with kids.

I don’t think you’re reading my comments so I’ll end the convo here.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With what? Another media outlet? Do you believe everything the newspaper says 100%?

You don’t have to "trust the media," nor should you. You can do research with source documents. You can verify what a media outlet is saying.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Starting your own business, moving into another field, going to school… you can get paid for all of those things. Or be supported by your partner if staying home with kids.

I don’t think you’re reading my comments so I’ll end the convo here.

Well you provided no evidence. It seemed like nothing but speculation. So you didn't really provide anything they were really doing. Unemployment sky rocketed. So much so that the federal government pitched in and was throwing money at people. This encouraging them not to work. Cause they made more money not working.

That is drying up now. Now the measly $300 a week isn't cutting it. But it appears that Americans learned how to save and have enough money to be picky about what they are going to do.

Opinion: Many Americans aren’t going back to work, but it’s not for the reason you might expect

I also think you have a point on not paying enough. Business had to pay enough to entice people to work for them. Perhaps it's time to end the the tip industry. Pay servers enough money where they don't need tips. It's not arguable that wages have kept up with inflation. They haven't. So wages can't be blamed for overall inflation. I think it can play a part. Example is McDonalds. They are paying $15.00 + an hour to work there. Hamburger meals that used to cost $6 are now $9. Thats a result of increased pay to workers.

And maybe that's how it should be.

I thinks it's probably a combo between the government paying people not to work and business not paying people enough.

Why aren't people going back to work? Blame both corporate and public policies

At Least 1.8 Million People Refused to Return to Work Because of Generous Welfare Benefits, Poll Shows | Brad Polumbo

University of Chicago study found that 42% of those on extended unemployment receive more than they did in their prior jobs. With that kind of disincentive to work, it’s amazing we’ve had the job growth that we’ve had.

The pandemic was a shock to the system. It will take a few years before the dust settles and we can survey the employment landscape with any clarity. At that point, we’re bound to see vast changes in how America works and what kinds of jobs we have.

The Jobs Are There So Why Aren't People Going Back to Work?

The Census Bureau data also shows an uptick of almost 4 percentage points in self-reported financial hardship in states that ended or reduced pandemic unemployment benefits, Dube found.

So things are happening and it can't all be blamed on people not getting paid enough.

Eventually people will have to go back to work cause you can't live on nothing.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't look good on the restaurant... the couple who got ejected seem blameless -- although I suspect I'm about to hear why they aren't.
Sure. Haven't heard anything either, but not everyone rushes to the media to condemn everyone.

It's silly. If they want to wear masks - or not wear masks- who cares? Your mask and/or distancing and/or vaccine and/or immunity works, right?

Go about your life or go home if it bothers you that others out there are not doing what you think they should be doing.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well if you're willing to go around with a gas mask and full-body hazmat suit, then you can afford to not care whether anyone else is wearing a mask or vaccinated or not. But most people probably wouldn't want to do that.
A friend of mine saw a guy in full hazmat last year walking around in Home Depot. I guess the advice could be taken seriously.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have to assume it was honest reporting while keeping the possibility open that it wasn't.
I do that with anything that I read or hear.

Then do your own research. Find a media outlet that you (more or less) trust, and see what they have to say about it.

It's a start.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would have left the restaurant and spread the word about their stupid policy.
And yet we go to restaurants where you wear a mask until you take it off at the table, and that somehow makes sense?

His establishment, his rules... or does that only work in One direction?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Living off their savings, borrowing from their parents, selling their blood... what's it to you how other people are getting by?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And yet we go to restaurants where you wear a mask until you take it off at the table, and that somehow makes sense?

His establishment, his rules... or does that only work in One direction?

And if we don't like his rules, we eat somewhere else. Any reason we shouldn't?

Upvote 0