Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want to paint this purely as a political matter, then go for your life. Just treat it as left v right, Republican v Democrat, right v wrong.

But you might be aware that I just pidgeon-holed everyone into two groups there. Us v Them effectively. You can choose your side as best you see fit. Which is what we all do. We associate ourselves within groups. Whether it is defined by your gender, your state, your country, your racial background, your football team, your politics.

This is such a basic fact of life that it really shouldn't need me to point it out. You did it yourself above probably without realising it. For you, in this context, it's The False Narrative v The Truth. You are saying 'We're all the same. There are no divisions. Except that I'm always right and you're in the group that's always wrong'.

Unless you accept that there are differences and we are automatically biased towards our 'own group' then you aren't going to recognise problems when they occur. You can just stand with others in your group and say 'there's nothing to see here'. You want to take it personally. You want to say that we aren't racist. We aren't sexist. We treat everyone with the respect that they deserve. So if someone suggests that there is racism and they suggest that it is exhibited by a group of which you are a member, then you take it personally.

A heads up: It's not about you.
It is all good to be philosophical about things that are not going to affect you.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is all good to be philosophical about things that are not going to affect you.

If you assume that you're not biased against anyone in any way or that no-one else is biased towards you in any way, or assume that your life is free from any impact of bias then feel free to ignore any discussions anyone is having about it, the problems that it causes and possible solutions to it.

Ignorance can be bliss.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying that bias doesn't exist....so let's start there.

Which of the following do you believe?

1. That we can eliminate or reduce it's effects.

2. We can't.

Obviously 1. It's been the point of most of my posts.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you assume that you're not biased against anyone in any way or that no-one else is biased towards you in any way, or assume that your life is free from any impact of bias then feel free to ignore any discussions anyone is having about it, the problems that it causes and possible solutions to it.

Ignorance can be bliss.
I will take your word for that.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not saying that bias doesn't exist....so let's start there.

Which of the following do you believe?

1. That we can eliminate or reduce it's effects.

2. We can't.

Assuming 1. for the moment, what would be the best way to eliminate or reduce its effects?

A. education about it.

B. ignorance of it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Assuming 1. for the moment, what would be the best way to eliminate or reduce its effects?

A. education about it.

B. ignorance of it.

Depends of course on how one is proposing to educate pople in these matters. What are we proposing that students will be told and how will differing points of view be handled? Is the issue being presented honestly and are skepticism and debate encouraged rather than punished? If it is instead indoctrination by propaganda where an opinion is stated as a fact and no questioning of the opinion is to be engaged in or consequences will be forthcoming then it is actually willful ignorance that is being taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

A. education about it.

B. ignorance of it.

Let's assume A.

What kind of education should we give those children? The goal here is to reduce bias...

1. One where we teach them that such characteristics don't matter and they should avoid making judgements about people based upon them.

2. One where we teach them those characteristics are super important...and they need to view everything according to those characteristics for the rest of their lives.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Depends of course on how one is proposing to educate pople in these matters. What are we proposing that students will be told and how will differing points of view be handled? Is the issue being presented honestly and are skepticism and debate encouraged rather than punished? If it is instead indoctrination by propaganda where an opinion is stated as a fact and no questioning of the opinion is to be engaged in or consequences will be forthcoming then it is actually willful ignorance that is being taught.

These are all very good questions, which is why the law itself is of no concern to me. Laws, after all, are nothing but words on paper -- it's how they are enforced that makes them right or wrong.

I know that if I taught in Texas, this wouldn't change my teaching one bit.

"Are you teaching Critical Race Theory in your classroom?"

"No."

"Ok then... carry on."

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Let's assume A.

What kind of education should we give those children? The goal here is to reduce bias...

1. One where we teach them that such characteristics don't matter and they should avoid making judgements about people based upon them.

2. One where we teach them those characteristics are super important...and they need to view everything according to those characteristics for the rest of their lives.

Somewhere between 1 and 2, I'd say... perhaps not precisely half-way; leaning closer to 1. Let's say 1-and-a-third.

But we must also teach that not everyone feels the same way, and that, once upon a time, such people had systems in place to enforce 2... and for the longest time, they succeeded.

Education about the past is a pretty good defense against repeating it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Somewhere between 1 and 2, I'd say... perhaps not precisely half-way; leaning closer to 1. Let's say 1-and-a-third.

Somewhere between 1 and 2?

What's the benefit of 2?

But we must also teach that not everyone feels the same way

And never will. Honestly, does this need taught? That not everyone feels the same as you do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
These are all very good questions, which is why the law itself is of no concern to me. Laws, after all, are nothing but words on paper -- it's how they are enforced that makes them right or wrong.

I know that if I taught in Texas, this wouldn't change my teaching one bit.

"Are you teaching Critical Race Theory in your classroom?"

"No."

"Ok then... carry on."

Did you read the law? It never mentions CRT.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh lookie, Boy Scout Merit badges mean nothing now:

14 (3)AAno school district or teacher shall require, make
15 part of a course, or award course grading or credit including extra
16 credit for, student work for, affiliation with, or service learning
17 in association with any organization engaged in lobbying for
18 legislation at the local, state or federal level, or in social or
19 public policy advocacy;...”

Texas doesn’t want it’s students to get any credit for advocacy in the public sphere?
Mercy!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Somewhere between 1 and 2?

What's the benefit of 2?

None that I can think of, but you presented a false dichotomy that needed to be corrected.

Rather than an all-or nothing deal, the importance of race as part of one's identity is more accurately depicted along a sliding scale.

And never will. Honestly, does this need taught? That not everyone feels the same as you do?

You'd be surprised at what some people need to be taught.

Upvote 0