Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There is no better place than the contentment and joy of being in the presence of Christ.

As some of you are aware, I went away on a short retreat, literally days before the lockdown here in the UK. I wanted to get away, have some quiet time. It was my intention to put aside my day to day life and allow myself to be open to God. I don't think I noticed any change in myself while I was actually there. It was only when I left and returned back to my day to day routine.

I felt calmer. I felt more peaceful. Less stressed and worried. I had the awareness that I was being embraced by God. It's very hard to put it into words, but it was the feeling of being continually held and loved. And it lasted for days.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't get to feel like this all of the time. But it seems to make sense that the busier and occupied we become with our own lives, we don't allow ourselves sufficient time to quieten and still ourselves. As the Psalmist wrote "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is no better place than the contentment and joy of being in the presence of Christ.

As some of you are aware, I went away on a short retreat, literally days before the lockdown here in the UK. I wanted to get away, have some quiet time. It was my intention to put aside my day to day life and allow myself to be open to God. I don't think I noticed any change in myself while I was actually there. It was only when I left and returned back to my day to day routine.

I felt calmer. I felt more peaceful. Less stressed and worried. I had the awareness that I was being embraced by God. It's very hard to put it into words, but it was the feeling of being continually held and loved. And it lasted for days.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't get to feel like this all of the time. But it seems to make sense that the busier and occupied we become with our own lives, we don't allow ourselves sufficient time to quieten and still ourselves. As the Psalmist wrote "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10).
Absolutely spot on. Thankyou 'Anthony!'

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have this memory from years ago that has surfaced and I would like to share it.

At a small but quite powerful Church, I was on a course called 'Evangelism Explosion'.
My mentor was a young man and we both went out door knocking, local to the Church. In my younger days I really enjoyed sharing the Gospel this way. This particular day, the sun was shining and an old man answered the door and my companion began the conversation, explaining that we were from the local Church. He asked us in and supplied a very welcome glass of lemonade each and biscuits.

My friend asked the old man the question, did he know for certain if he would go to heaven when he died? We were both amazed at his reply, oh no, because I have killed a man. He explained that in the war he had to fight with a bayonet on his rifle and he killed the man although in self defence. He had felt so disturbed that he sought out help from pastors, priests and various people, but they all assured him that he had nothing to worry about as he was just doing his duty. Years passed since the war, WW2, and this unhappy state of mind was still with him.

My friend explained that he needed to receive forgiveness and how Jesus had died for him in his place. John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that all who believe in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
The old man was overcome as he realized the truth and that he was forgiven. We prayed with him and a soul was saved that day.
Because of his age, I have no doubt that he is now with the Lord.

We praised God for his mercy and kindness to the old man and for the privilege of being able to share Jesus and the things of God with him.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have this memory from years ago that has surfaced and I would like to share it.

At a small but quite powerful Church, I was on a course called 'Evangelism Explosion'.
My mentor was a young man and we both went out door knocking, local to the Church. In my younger days I really enjoyed sharing the Gospel this way. This particular day, the sun was shining and an old man answered the door and my companion began the conversation, explaining that we were from the local Church. He asked us in and supplied a very welcome glass of lemonade each and biscuits.

My friend asked the old man the question, did he know for certain if he would go to heaven when he died? We were both amazed at his reply, oh no, because I have killed a man. He explained that in the war he had to fight with a bayonet on his rifle and he killed the man although in self defence. He had felt so disturbed that he sought out help from pastors, priests and various people, but they all assured him that he had nothing to worry about as he was just doing his duty. Years passed since the war, WW2, and this unhappy state of mind was still with him.

My friend explained that he needed to receive forgiveness and how Jesus had died for him in his place. John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that all who believe in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
The old man was overcome as he realized the truth and that he was forgiven. We prayed with him and a soul was saved that day.
Because of his age, I have no doubt that he is now with the Lord.

We praised God for his mercy and kindness to the old man and for the privilege of being able to share Jesus and the things of God with him.
What a wonderful testimony!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.