Yada Yah

Jan 22, 2012
NY
✟7,698.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've been interested in a number of game systems that allow for historical(-ish) earth based RPG settings, which frequently allow for a supernatural aspect to include representations of real-world faiths.

Among these one of the most intersting to me is Green Ronin's "Testament: Role Playing in the Biblical Era" a d20 setting. Testament focuses larger on the ancient Israelites but also explores the neighboring Egyptian, Canaanite, Mesopotamian and with an expansion, Hittite cultures. It is made to be compatible with the publishers Trojan War and Roman settings.

The basic eras are 1. Pre-Flood (early Genesis), 2. Patriarchs (post flood Genesis), 3. Exodus (Exodus through Joshua), 4. Judges, 5. Early Kingdom (Saul through Solomon), 6. Divided Kingdom (Israel and Judea - Chronicles) 7. The Exile (Daniel), 7. The Return to the land (Nehemiah) , 8. Maccabees.

Some of the biblical figures Testament assigned d20 stats to include: Cain, Abraham, Esau, Joseph, Moses, Aaron, Caleb, Joshua, Deborah, Samson, Delilah, Samuel, David, Goliath, Joab, Solomon, Elijah, Jezebel, Isaiah, Elisha, Daniel, and Judah Maccabee. There are others both from Bible and from neighboring cultures.

As you might imagine, the basic race is human, but there is a biblical bestiary that includes entries such as: Leviathan, Behemoth, Giant Nephalim, Sin and Death Dragons, and different types of more biblical Devils, Demons such as tempters, lillitu, possessors. There are also monsters from the neighboring cultures such as Egypt's Phoenix or Babylon's Scorpion Guards. Interestingly their more biblical Angles are in four varieties, ranging from roughly human scale to the mighty seraphim and cherubim at about CR 25.

While some basic classes are restricted, several new core and presige classes are added such as: Levite Priest (cleric), Champion of Israel, Psalmist (bard), Judge, Spy, Desert Hermit, Prophet of the LORD. The neighboring cultures have custom classes also like Idol Maker, Magus. Royal Astrologer, Qedeshot (Temple Priestess / Prostitute), Chariot Master.

While it could be played with little to no magic the setting assumes that magic, especially Divine wonders are real and accessible, but tends to be generally more subtle than a traditional D&D dungeon crawl setting. As I understand it, say a prophet is seeking to request a showy miraculous wonder; when and how it is answered may not be automatic, but could depend on how the DM (role playing God) views the sin standing of the prophet and if it serves a selfish or selfless aim.

I don't know how CF participants story tell / game here (possibly via email or PM?), but let me know what you think or if you'd be interested in playing in such a setting?

Unfortunately I've only rarely gotten to GM sessions of the game, but like that it makes you examine how people in those eras related to each other and to God. What era seems most appealing if any?

FWIW for higher "fantasy", pre-flood seems to offer the least required familiarity with ancient cultures, greater access to overt supernatural power and beats, but others can be appealing for a more grounded setting.
Also feel free if you have questions.

-Yada Yah