United States
✟127,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if there were any fans of Terry Taylor, The Swirling Eddie's, Daniel Amos, Lost Dogs, 77's out there? What are Terry Taylor's beliefs? Some of his lyrics suggest a questioning of the Christian faith. Both Terry and Michael Roe have tested the limits of propriety in Christian music. I enjoy their music, which I think has been marginalized because of some of the lyrical content. Any thoughts?

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I doubt the lyrics have resulted in marginalizing Terry Scott Taylor. I'd tend to blame a Christian market that has traditionally been uninterested in any kind of musically-challenging creativity. See, for example, The Danielson Famile for the way the CCM market ignores a fresh musical voice (that also has lyrics even a Sunday school teacher would cheer).

Then again, I guess one could argue that the non-JPM-focused lyrics of all the more alterna-centric Christian artists have really kept the rockier side of Christian music off to the side. Though I'd still tend to argue that it may have as much to do with an institutional unease with the rock & roll lifestyle (and a general discouragement for it) than it does the lyrics.

Which isn't to say the lyrics aren't important to the larger Christian market (they are), but the kinds of people who demand the JPMs are going to notice the style of the music first, and be put off by that from the outset.

Upvote 0

only a sojourner

Apr 7, 2014
United States
✟127,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Theory, I have no problem with the style of music, but the content. For example in Daniel Amos' Bibleland album there is a song in which The Word is rhymed with a term of profanity. I don't feel comfortable identifying the profane term. I had to throw the album out. Terry Scott Taylor has created some truly excellent albums. His Knowledge and Innocence album, I think, compares with the finest albums produced by the Beatles, a band he emulates. I have always enjoyed quality folk, psychedelic-folk and alternative music,eg, Donovan and the Incredible String Band, Joan Baez. Donovan and the Incredible Sting Band however are heavily influenced by eastern religion and Celtic mythology. Is there anything you can recommend in Christian music that is similar? I also musically used to like Robyn Hitchcock whose style reminds me of Terry Scott Taylor. Robyn Hitchcock however is a nihilist and an atheist and has contempt for Christianity. His song the Sleeping Knights of Jesus makes this very clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0