• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Terrible Thanksgiving

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did absolutely nothing. My bf got mad and called me stupid for spending money to try and make Thanksgiving dinner so I took it all back to the store and got my money back. I just laid in bed all day crying. My family is not together anymore so that's not an option and no o don't have a church home. I'm just waiting for the day to pass. I feel like my life is such a waste and I'm misserable.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I did absolutely nothing. My bf got mad and called me stupid for spending money to try and make Thanksgiving dinner so I took it all back to the store and got my money back. I just laid in bed all day crying. My family is not together anymore so that's not an option and no o don't have a church home. I'm just waiting for the day to pass. I feel like my life is such a waste and I'm misserable.

That's not OK he called you stupid. I get getting aggravated about things, stressed about money & such, that happens with couples all the time. No way on earth would I call my girlfriend stupid & I'm sorry your bf called you that.

I hope you can find something good to do with the last few hours of Thanksgiving. Spend some time in Thanksgiving to God. Prayer can heal a lot.

I promise your life isn't a waste.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear that people let you down again. So much pain is generated between people people letting each other down. i know from experience how much that can hurt, taking the whole commotion on board and simply let the negativity overcome me. Been there done that!

However Jesus taught me a different way. Doing everything you do for Him and not for people as such. So if you make a nice thanksgiving dinner Jesus will always appreciate that you did that in His honour, even if nobody else does. Jesus appreciates everything we do for Him. Even if it was just holding His hand to get us through when we are having a hard time. He loves to build you a strong self-esteem in Him and with Him. He sure raised me up from the dirt and gave me integrity and purpose.

Try Him out and get The Word into your heart for that is how the voice of God works The Word of God in the Spirit of love and you will feel much more able to handle the negativities of life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Earn some money. Set goals. Find a congregation. And remember, there is no perfect congregation because there is no perfect man. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
That's not OK he called you stupid. I get getting aggravated about things, stressed about money & such, that happens with couples all the time. No way on earth would I call my girlfriend stupid & I'm sorry your bf called you that.

I hope you can find something good to do with the last few hours of Thanksgiving. Spend some time in Thanksgiving to God. Prayer can heal a lot.

I promise your life isn't a waste.
I agree. It is not proper to call anyone stupid.

Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been single my whole life and am so used to spending holidays alone, it's like just another day, but I have to admit, my fav part of the holidays is when they're over. There are plenty of people in the same boat. Even if someone were to invite me over for dinner, which has happened on and off over the years, but mainly not, I feel like an outsider when everyone else there is family. Depending on the size of the group, I may not even go if invited anymore. My stomach can't hold much food at one sitting anyway, so gorging doesn't take long, which is tough where there's a huge spread of food to be eating, and I'm skinny, and can't take advantage of the opportunity to pig out, and everyone eats fast, even while talking, and I eat slow and finish last without talking.

It's nice when people think of someone enough to invite them over, but Outsider Syndrome makes me want to turn it down, while another part of me says that's nuts when someone has invited you to join them. Dilemma. Once Jan. 2 arrives, it's a relief. We're all equal again, and can get on with the new year regardless of how things went for anyone. Another bright side, is no family squabbles or arguments over things like politics. I had lunch at a restaurant 'community table' for single people, which I figured is better than nothing, and couldn't get away from politics. You can't control the conversations of strangers around you, and I didn't go there to hear about politics. I want to get away from it EVERY day, but especially at the holidays. I virtually always disagree with what's being said cause I think both major parties are idiots.

When I comment to church folk about having no family, someone will speak up and say 'we're your family!' Then I make a joke out of it and say, "Great! What time is Thanksgiving (or Christmas) dinner and should I bring anything?" That silences their claim to 'family' real quick cause they know that family are those invited to the meal, which doesn't include me.

So what did the two of you eat instead, since the food went back to the store? Some frozen tiny portion like Stouffers or Lean Cuisine? That's what I would have had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been single my whole life and am so used to spending holidays alone, it's like just another day, but I have to admit, my fav part of the holidays is when they're over. There are plenty of people in the same boat. Even if someone were to invite me over for dinner, which has happened on and off over the years, but mainly not, I feel like an outsider when everyone else there is family. Depending on the size of the group, I may not even go if invited anymore. My stomach can't hold much food at one sitting anyway, so gorging doesn't take long, which is tough where there's a huge spread of food to be eating, and I'm skinny, and can't take advantage of the opportunity to pig out, and everyone eats fast, even while talking, and I eat slow and finish last without talking.

It's nice when people think of someone enough to invite them over, but Outsider Syndrome makes me want to turn it down, while another part of me says that's nuts when someone has invited you to join them. Dilemma. Once Jan. 2 arrives, it's a relieve. We're all equal again, and can get on with the new year regardless of how things went for anyone. Another bright side, is no family squabbles or arguments over things like politics. I had lunch at a restaurant 'community table' for single people, which I figured is better than nothing, and couldn't get away from politics. You can't control the conversations of strangers around you, and I didn't go there to hear about politics. I want to get away from it EVERY day, but especially at the holidays. I virtually always disagree with what's being said cause I think both major parties are idiots.

When I comment to church folk about having no family, someone will speak up and say 'we're your family!' Then I make a joke out of it and say, "Great! What time is Thanksgiving (or Christmas) dinner and should I bring anything?" That silences their claim to 'family' real quick cause they know that family are those invited to the meal, which doesn't include me.

So what did the two of you eat instead, since the food went back to the store? Some frozen tiny portion like Stouffers or Lean Cuisine? That's what I would have had.

Nope it ended in a fight. I ended up sleeping in the room all day. We ended up breaking up. And I packed all my stuff in the car in the cold. I came back only to hear the neighbors ridiculing me and mocking my crying they went on for hours making fun of me so I put in ear plugs to sleep. I really can't stand people most of the time specially when being mocked by strangers is common for me since childhood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nope it ended in a fight. I ended up sleeping in the room all day. We ended up breaking up. And I packed all my stuff in the car in the cold. I came back only to hear the neighbors ridiculing me and mocking my crying they went on for hours making fun of me so I put in ear plugs to sleep. I really can't stand people most of the time specially when being mocked by strangers is common for me since childhood.
What did you eat?

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's crazy of him. I would have been so happy if someone tried to organize Thanksgiving dinner for me. It's very hard at this time of year already, why should someone else make it worse?

Good point...they all say this, but when the holidays come around, the silence from them is loud enough to wake the dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums