Terri Schiavo: WWJD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

santalucia

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=7977535

Not just Christians involved

Eleanor Smith of Decatur, Georgia, sat on Tuesday in a motorized wheelchair in front of the hospice, baking in the sun, with a sign on her lap reading, "This agnostic liberal says 'Feed Terri."' Smith, 65, had polio as a child and described herself as a lesbian and a liberal who had demonstrated before in support of the disabled and causes supported by the conservative establishment's archfoe, the American Civil Liberties Union. ..."At this point I would rather have a right-wing Christian decide my fate than an ACLU member," Smith said. "

Ain't that the truth.

Upvote 0
S

santalucia

"In February, Florida's Department of Children and Families presented Judge Greer with a 34-page document listing charges of neglect, abuse, and exploitation of Terri by her husband, with a request for 60 days to fully investigate the charges. Judge Greer, soon to remove Terri's feeding tube for the third time, rejected the 60-day extension. (The media have ignored these charges, and much of what follows in this article.) "

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0513,hentoff,62489,6.html

Upvote 0

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
santalucia said:
"In February, Florida's Department of Children and Families presented Judge Greer with a 34-page document listing charges of neglect, abuse, and exploitation of Terri by her husband, with a request for 60 days to fully investigate the charges. Judge Greer, soon to remove Terri's feeding tube for the third time, rejected the 60-day extension. (The media have ignored these charges, and much of what follows in this article.) "

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0513,hentoff,62489,6.html
Ah...more deception. The DCF DID do an investigation in 2001 (I believe, or it might have been 2000). They found nothing then. Now they were starting an 11th hour investigation in 2005 to delay the removal of the feeding tube--and Judge Greer rightfully saw what their manuever for what it was for--a stall tactic. Maybe the DCF should try to investigate abuse claims within months, not YEARS.

Praise God for brave, intelligent men like Judge Greer who are willing to take the heat to uphold the law.

Upvote 0

Ben_Hur

Me at the Races...
Oct 26, 2003
Northwest
✟9,019.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yojimbo said:
Ah...more deception. The DCF DID do an investigation in 2001 (I believe, or it might have been 2000). They found nothing then. Now they were starting an 11th hour investigation in 2005 to delay the removal of the feeding tube--and Judge Greer rightfully saw what their manuever for what it was for--a stall tactic. Maybe the DCF should try to investigate abuse claims within months, not YEARS.

Praise God for brave, intelligent men like Judge Greer who are willing to take the heat to uphold the law.

Exactly what law was he "upholding?" And why would we praise God for one who caused the death of another? Does God give humans the decision to say who, of the innocent must die?

Upvote 0

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The right to privacy amendment ratified by FLORIDA VOTERS. If you don't like the law, go to Florida and vote to repeal the amendment. Otherwise, I like my judges to uphold the law that they are governed under, not to be activist judges.

He didn't cause Terri's death. Terri caused it herself with her bulimia and before that, by mentioning to three different people her desire to not be in a PVS.

Upvote 0

Ben_Hur

Me at the Races...
Oct 26, 2003
Northwest
✟9,019.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yojimbo said:
The right to privacy amendment ratified by FLORIDA VOTERS. If you don't like the law, go to Florida and vote to repeal the amendment. Otherwise, I like my judges to uphold the law that they are governed under, not to be activist judges.

He didn't cause Terri's death. Terri caused it herself with her bulimia and before that, by mentioning to three different people her desire to not be in a PVS.

1. How do you know what her current wishes were - assuming it's true she actually articulated her wishes regarding PVS as a 20-something person?

2. How do you know she WANTED to be starved to death or considered a feeding tube to be equivalent to life support?

3. Saying she caused her own death is like saying a smoker caused their own death. That doesn't mean they deserve to be euthenized based on hearsay.

4. Why did it take Michael seven years to "remember" her death wish?

5. How exactly does it make sense that she was not allowed to be spoon-fed because she might "choke to death?"

Right-to-privacy would only really apply assuming there was NO doubt regarding her wishes. I think their is plenty of doubt. And you, as a chrisitian, should not believe in euthenization in such a case where someone is not terminal and is not on artificial life-support.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.