• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Term: if God is a God of a tribe?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by JohnClay, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JohnClay

JohnClay Married Mouth-Breather Supporter

+132
    Australia
    Other Religion
    Married
    AU-Greens
    The Bible sometimes refers to "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob". I think recently I heard of a term that involves God being the God of a tribe... I can't seem to find the term - can anyone help?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+5,775
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Sometimes you'll hear that as a pejorative used by some in describing God as "the tribal war god of the Jews". It dismisses God as just one of many.

3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,792
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Genesis 49:28
    All these are the twelve tribes of Israel. This is what their father said to them as he blessed them, blessing each with the blessing suitable to him.

James 1:1
    James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.

Exodus 28:21
    There shall be twelve stones with their names according to the names of the sons of Israel. They shall be like signets, each engraved with its name, for the twelve tribes.

Genesis 49:1-33
    Then Jacob called his sons and said, “Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you what shall happen to you in days to come. “Assemble and listen, O sons of Jacob, listen to Israel your father. “Reuben, you are my firstborn, my might, and the firstfruits of my strength, preeminent in dignity and preeminent in power. Unstable as water, you shall not have preeminence, because you went up to your father's bed; then you defiled it—he went up to my couch! “Simeon and Levi are brothers; weapons of violence are their swords. ...

Acts 17:10-11
    The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Matthew 19:28
    Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Acts 26:7
    To which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king!

What Does the Bible Say About Tribes?

4. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,287
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Why? God also clearly claims the right to be worshipped by the whole world and as we are no longer in a world dominated by tribal groups what relevance does that term have.

5. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+830
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Green
    I believe you're thinking of henotheism, or at least that's related in nature with the idea that one particular god is superior to the other gods acknowledged as existing, but not having the power that that particular deity

Or is may even be monolatry, more exclusive, but still a form of theism where the idea is that the other gods cannot be worshipped as having true power or something to that effect.

Some scholars argue this is implied in the Torah with the commandment of not having other gods before them, other deities seemingly acknowledged as existing, but not being nearly as effective as God, including Baal, or the gods of Egypt

6. BigV

BigV Junior Member

+251
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    There is an interesting story in 2 Kings
    2 Kings 3:14 Elisha said, “As surely as the Lord Almighty lives, whom I serve, if I did not have respect for the presence of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, I would not pay any attention to you. 15 But now bring me a harpist.”

While the harpist was playing, the hand of the Lord came on Elisha 16 and he said, “This is what the Lord says: I will fill this valley with pools of water. 17 For this is what the Lord says: You will see neither wind nor rain, yet this valley will be filled with water, and you, your cattle and your other animals will drink. 18 This is an easy thing in the eyes of the Lord; he will also deliver Moab into your hands. 19 You will overthrow every fortified city and every major town. You will cut down every good tree, stop up all the springs, and ruin every good field with stones.”

2 Kings 3:26 When the king of Moab saw that the battle had gone against him, he took with him seven hundred swordsmen to break through to the king of Edom, but they failed. 27 Then he took his firstborn son, who was to succeed him as king, and offered him as a sacrifice on the city wall. The fury against Israel was great; they withdrew and returned to their own land.

Apparently, there are other Gods, whose power the Bible acknowledges. King of Moab sacrificed his son, presumably to his own God, and as a result, he was delivered from Israel's attack.

7. JohnClay

JohnClay Married Mouth-Breather Supporter

+132
    Australia
    Other Religion
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Yes that's it...

henotheism
    /ˈhɛnəʊˌθiːɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    adherence to one particular god out of several, especially by a family, tribe, or other group.

This might also be relevant:

monolatry
    /məˈnɒlətri/
    noun
    the worship of one god without denial of the existence of other gods.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020