Sep 2, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
What kind of drills do you mean? (Volley, serve, forehand, backhand, movement, etc.)

For a beginner...get a coach! They help a ton, and they can provide you with all the drills necessary.

However, if time or finances do not permit coaching, then I'll try to give you some drill ideas.

Edit: Also check out Tennis.com, they have some nice instructional pages.

Upvote 0

2+2=5

Hey xylo phorus :wave:
What kind of drills do you mean?
Any and all, I don’t have the time and finances for a coach, some friends at church like to play tennis, and just recently we have started to pursue it more actively. Also, there is a girl at church who is on the high school tennis team, so she could probably give me some useful tips, but any input from you would be great :) .
Thanks for the website, (Tennis.com, duh! Why didn't I think of that :blush: )

Upvote 0

xylo phorus

Serve & Volleyer
Sep 2, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
lol yeah, it always seems obvious after someone points it out. :)

But the type of drills you should do largely depend on your weaknesses. To try to cover everything in one fell swoop, I'll list an example drill for several shots.

Volley
This is a fun one, at least in my opinion. As with most drills, this requires a hitting partner. Stand at the net, as close to it as you feel comfortable (at least halfway between the service line and the net). Have your partner stand at the baseline of the other side of the court. For beginners or players with weak volleying skills, have your partner hit directly to you, to allow you to focus on just volleying. After you get more accomplished at the net, your partner should start trying passing shots. This carries the double benefit of working on your net game as well as working on your partner's passing shots.

You can set up a sort of mini-game format with this drill by keeping score. The format I use is first player to 7 points wins, no lobs allowed.

Groundstrokes (Forehand & Backhand)
The backbone of any tennis player's game is his or her ground game. As you might have guessed, the only way to improve groundstrokes is to hit them, over and over. For this one, I would recommend that you and your partner stand on the baselines. At first, just hit back and forth, trying to keep the ball in play. Once you get to the point where you can do this consistently, start focusing on control. Make certain areas of the court off-limits. (For example, both players are required to hit it cross-court.) Another way is to only allow forehands or backhands. (This one helps if one side is considerably weaker than the other.) There are a zillion different variations for this drill.

Again, this drill lends itself to a mini-game format. Use your imagination to think of fun ways to incorporate both forehands and backhands.

Serve
The serve can be a huge weapon or a glaring weakness, depending on how much you develop it. In my game, my serving either makes me or breaks me. If I have a good service day, I usually win. If my serve is off, I'll usually struggle through the match.

This is the one drill that is best done without a partner (though make sure you have plenty of balls!). If you're a terrible server, just try to focus on getting it in the service box. (If you're really bad, try standing at the service line instead of the baseline. Once you get consistent from there, gradually work backwards until you're at the basline.)

After you're able to consistently get your serves in, try working on accuracy. Set up targets (such as plastic cones or small pyramids of balls) and try to hit them. Also, make sure you spend time developing a reliable second serve. (Using more spin on the second serve is usually prefered over a weaker flat one.)

If you consistently work on all three of these drills, you'll be mopping people around the court in no time!

Let me know if you have any questions or need any clarifications. :)

Upvote 0

madetoworship

Who we were meant to be
Nov 19, 2006
California, United States
✟16,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A Warm-up Drill:
Pyramid -- Get three+ players and work on consistancy with the groundstrokes and volleys.

For 3 players: On the top of each service box will be one player. The other player will stand in the middle of the service boxes on the other side (in volley position). That's two on one side and one on the other. This then forms a pyramid. Have the single player feed balls alternating to the other players. Then they will hit it back and the single player will volley it back and forth. Don't forget to come close to the net so you can cut the angle. Also, try not to kill the ball but go for consistancy!

For 3+ player: Have one line form behind the single player and one line form behind the two players (perferrably even lines). When any one player misses a hit or a volley, another player steps in. Make sure that the volleyer is always feeding the ball. You can place a basket of tennis balls on the volleying side!

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Upvote 0
C

Caleb89

Last season we got a new tennis coach who really jacked up my serve. Then, the assistant coach showed me another way (VERY SIMPLE) to serve the ball and I atarted winning a lot of matches!!!

To serve:

1.) Toss the ball high. (to your racket's highest reach) {The toss is EVERYTHING to your serve!!! It has to be JUST RIGHT!!! If it isn't, DON'T HIT IT!!!)

2.) NEVER TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE BALL!!!!

3.) Hit the ball before it starts on the downfall.

4.) Lean into the serve.

5.) Follow through into the court.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BushidoTexan

Nov 16, 2006
Houston, TX
✟7,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
try going to your public library and seeing if they have any tennis videos, i know my local one has a few

also try to find a local court with a backboard, or any vertical flat surface you can hit off of which you can practice forehands, backhands, volleys, and overheads on

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2007
✟7,633.00
Faith
Baptist
Hey xylo phorus :wave:

Any and all, I don’t have the time and finances for a coach, some friends at church like to play tennis, and just recently we have started to pursue it more actively. Also, there is a girl at church who is on the high school tennis team, so she could probably give me some useful tips, but any input from you would be great :) .
Thanks for the website, (Tennis.com, duh! Why didn't I think of that :blush: )
keep it fun.

if they're young they need to build some arm strength probably, bouncing the balls both going up and going down to a hundred before starting every practice should do it.

if they have some strength already, reflex volleys should be a good starter to build coordination (get em used to how long the racquet is). just stand opposite the net and hit back and forth (ideally without letting the ball hit the ground).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renee09

Jun 3, 2007
in my beloved country
✟8,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
work to have an awesome serve. it is the most important skill and a plus advantage if you can definately serve the little yellow ball over the net. make it fast, hard, and difficult for your opponent to get. so maybe serve to the backhand of your opponent.

practice, practice, practice. tres important.

follow through on many things. aussi tres important.

have fun. :wave:

Upvote 0

renee09

Jun 3, 2007
in my beloved country
✟8,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my strategy...hit the ball as hard as you can. i don't recommend using this in a real game though...

once your more advanced and can put an amazing spin on the ball, you can hit it as hard as you possibly could. :)

Upvote 0