United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Its much much more complex than that.

Agreed, so complex in fact simply screaming for "more gun control" will do nothing to actually fix the real root causes of what drives a person to be violent in the first place. That effort isn't even being approached or attempted (on the left or the right). Why?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Agreed, so complex in fact simply screaming for "more gun control" will do nothing to actually fix the real root causes of what drives a person to be violent in the first place. That effort isn't even being approached or attempted (on the left or the right). Why?
Correct. And if you characterize all proposals for reducing gun crime as "simply screaming for more gun control" it makes it easier to brush them off.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One should do both.

Gun control and try to combat the socio-economic factors that contribute to violent crimes.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One should do both.

Gun control and try to combat the socio-economic factors that contribute to violent crimes.

Gun control only hurts the law-abiding. Do you only want criminals and cops to have guns?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Gun control only hurts the law-abiding. Do you only want criminals and cops to have guns?
How does "gun control" only hurt the law-biding? Let's say we pass a law imposing an X year minimum mandatory sentence for possession of an unregistered handgun. How, specifically, will that only hurt the law-abiding?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So, mass shooters actually care about people and really don't want to break any laws. Makes perfect sense.
What a weird idea. No wonder it's so hard to get any sense out of 2A advocates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How does "gun control" only hurt the law-biding? Let's say we pass a law imposing an X year minimum mandatory sentence for possession of an unregistered handgun. How, specifically, will that only hurt the law-abiding?

Simple possession infringes on a person's 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms (including handguns); now, if they commit a crime with it and you want to throw the book at them, I'll join you there.

Because only the law abiding follow gun laws. Register the people, not the gun.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms. Registering guns is an infringement on that right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? Why would you believe that no criminal has a full auto?

Because I can’t name even one criminal who’s on any police or court record as having used a fully automatic weapon in the commission of a crime.

Can you?

If owning a fully automatic weapon is legal, which it is, and none have ever been used in the commission of any crime, how did we manage that?

How is it that only law abiding citizens own and use fully automatic firearms?

Seems to be an amazing feat, yet we’ve plainly accomplished it.

How?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms. Registering guns is an infringement on that right.
Whether that is true or not, you said such a law would only hurt the law-abiding.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Simple possession infringes on a person's 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms (including handguns); now, if they commit a crime with it and you want to throw the book at them, I'll join you there.

Because only the law abiding follow gun laws. Register the people, not the gun.
Ah, but you claimed that any gun control laws would only hurt the law abiding. Here in Illinois, one must have a Firearms Owners ID card to own a gun. (Basically it's evidence of a background check by the State Police.) The gun itself is not registered, but if I'm found in possession a gun and don't have a FOID card I am subject to severe penalties. I want you to explain to me how that gun control law only hurts the law-abiding.

Upvote 0