USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think if you want to be perfect, you will keep all the levitical laws and not just the 10 commandments. Every sermon on the 10 commandments my pastor ended with a moment of reflection on how we have broken the commandments God has given us. This is certainly a good practice to reflect in repentance on how we have broken God's laws, don't you agree? Which of us is perfect? Certainly no one for as it is said, "If you have broken one commandment, you have broken them all."

My pastor even had us reflect on how we have broken the 6th commandment in our hearts. This is how we ought know we need a savior: by reflecting on our imperfection and our reliance on Christ.

Yes, but that does not mean because we can't keep Gods laws we do not try. Jesus states “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. John 14:15-18

If you love God with all your heart and try to keep His commandments He provides us the Holy Spirit.
Mark 10:27 - But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.

Here is some information on legalism if you're up for a light read Isn't obedience legalism? | Sabbath Truth

Some teach that after the law has accomplished its purpose of pointing a sinner to Christ for forgiveness and cleansing, the commandments are no longer needed in the experience of a believer. Is that true?

A Christian will continue to depend upon the “watchdog” of the law to reveal any deviations from the true path of righteousness and to point him or her back to the cleansing cross of Jesus. This mirror of correction will most certainly be needed in the progressive growth experience of the Christian.

Law and grace do not work in competition with one another, but rather they work in perfect cooperation. The law points out our sin, and grace saves from sin. The law is the will of God, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law in order to be saved; rather, we obey because we are saved. Revelation 14:12 says, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the Faith of Jesus." What a perfect description of faith and works! And the combination is found in those who are “saints.”

Our work of obedience is a true test of our love. This is why obedience is necessary in the experience of a true believer. “Faith without works is dead” (James 2:20). No man ever won a woman’s heart by words alone. Had there been no acts of devotion, no gifts of love, most men would still be searching for a companion. Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven” (Matthew 7:21).

A profession of your faith or mere words saying you love the Lord are not enough. The true evidence lies in a person’s obedience. Today’s bumper stickers reflect a shallow concept of love. They say, “Honk if you love Jesus,” but Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). And that is exactly what most people don’t want to do. They are glad to smile and say nice words, but if their lifestyle is disturbed, the majority will reject it. Unfortunately, most people today are not looking for truth. They are looking for a smooth, easy, comfortable religion that will allow them to live the way they please and still give them the assurance of salvation. Yet no true religion can do that for them.

One of the strongest texts in the Bible on this subject is found in 1 John 2:4. “He who says, ‘I know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” The apostle John could write that with such assurance because it is one of the most deeply established truths in the Bible. Jesus spoke of those who say, “Lord, Lord” but do not do the will of the Father. Then He described many who would seek entrance to the kingdom claiming to be workers of miracles in the name of Christ. But He would sorrowfully have to say, “I never knew you. Depart from me.” (See Matthew 7:21–23).

You see, to know Christ is to love Him, and to love Him is to obey Him. The valid assumption of the Bible writers is very clear and simple: If one is not obeying Christ, he or she must not truly love Christ. John assured us, “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent” (John 17:3). Thus, we can see how knowing and loving and obeying are all tied closely together and are absolutely inseparable in the life of God's faithful people. John summed it up in these words: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, but that does not mean because we can't keep Gods laws we do not try. Jesus states “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. John 14:15-18

If you love God with all your heart and try to keep His commandments He provides us the Holy Spirit.
Mark 10:27 - But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.

Here is some information on legalism if you're up for a light read Isn't obedience legalism? | Sabbath Truth

Some teach that after the law has accomplished its purpose of pointing a sinner to Christ for forgiveness and cleansing, the commandments are no longer needed in the experience of a believer. Is that true?

A Christian will continue to depend upon the “watchdog” of the law to reveal any deviations from the true path of righteousness and to point him or her back to the cleansing cross of Jesus. This mirror of correction will most certainly be needed in the progressive growth experience of the Christian.

Law and grace do not work in competition with one another, but rather they work in perfect cooperation. The law points out our sin, and grace saves from sin. The law is the will of God, and grace is the power to do the will of God. We do not obey the law in order to be saved; rather, we obey because we are saved. Revelation 14:12 says, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the Commandments of God, and the Faith of Jesus." What a perfect description of faith and works! And the combination is found in those who are “saints.”

Our work of obedience is a true test of our love. This is why obedience is necessary in the experience of a true believer. “Faith without works is dead” (James 2:20). No man ever won a woman’s heart by words alone. Had there been no acts of devotion, no gifts of love, most men would still be searching for a companion. Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven” (Matthew 7:21).

A profession of your faith or mere words saying you love the Lord are not enough. The true evidence lies in a person’s obedience. Today’s bumper stickers reflect a shallow concept of love. They say, “Honk if you love Jesus,” but Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). And that is exactly what most people don’t want to do. They are glad to smile and say nice words, but if their lifestyle is disturbed, the majority will reject it. Unfortunately, most people today are not looking for truth. They are looking for a smooth, easy, comfortable religion that will allow them to live the way they please and still give them the assurance of salvation. Yet no true religion can do that for them.

One of the strongest texts in the Bible on this subject is found in 1 John 2:4. “He who says, ‘I know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” The apostle John could write that with such assurance because it is one of the most deeply established truths in the Bible. Jesus spoke of those who say, “Lord, Lord” but do not do the will of the Father. Then He described many who would seek entrance to the kingdom claiming to be workers of miracles in the name of Christ. But He would sorrowfully have to say, “I never knew you. Depart from me.” (See Matthew 7:21–23).

You see, to know Christ is to love Him, and to love Him is to obey Him. The valid assumption of the Bible writers is very clear and simple: If one is not obeying Christ, he or she must not truly love Christ. John assured us, “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent” (John 17:3). Thus, we can see how knowing and loving and obeying are all tied closely together and are absolutely inseparable in the life of God's faithful people. John summed it up in these words: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

I agree with all of that. What I disagree with is in what particular manifestation of keeping the law we ought to do. For a MJ, they are under the Torah in a more strict way than gentiles are. That does not mean that gentiles cannot be saved. I think this is why Jesus says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." The commandment Jesus gave was singular and not plural. That is HOW gentiles follow the Torah, through their love for one another. Paul emphasises the necessity of love in 1 Corinthians 13 saying "If I have no love I am a noisy gong". The point is to emphasis we are to love above all and in that is the fulfillment of the Law for Gentiles especially. If a gentile can love those who hate them, they have done a perfect thing! For as Jesus says, "even you who are evil love your family. So what does it profit a man to love those who love you?" Further, Apostle Peter reiterates this that "Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart." and Peter might be talking about loving those who persecute you indeed! How much more must we love those of our brothers of the Christian faith?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@BobRyan,

Perhaps you can see what my Pastor has to say about the Sabbath. My pastor just finished last Sunday a teaching on the Ten Commandments. If you want to just listen to one of the sermons, probably choosing one for the topic at hand on the sabbath which you can find in the first column of the second row on this webpage: Ten Words and the Gospel | Cornerstone Church Saint Paul

I have seen a few sermons on this topic by pastors outside of my denomination - one was from Andy Stanley back in the days before he says he rejected the Ten Commandments. And as I said "section 19" of both the Baptist Confession of Faith, and the Westminster Confession of Faith deals with the Ten Commandments, is not from the POV of a group keeping the seventh day as the Sabbath but still affirms the Sabbath Commandment as included in the moral law of God , still binding on all mankind etc. They just believe it is "edited" in some way to now point to week-day-1.

But....in the spirit of cooperation -- go to this link in your pastor's sermon
Ten Words and the Gospel Archives | Cornerstone Church Saint Paul

Oct 11 sermon : Go to minute 22:16 in that sermon where he begins with "Well then the question is..." -- if you take from that point to the end of the sermon - it could have been preached in my local church and everyone would also have said "amen".

I am not claiming that every point in all of his sermons would be something I would agree with - but a lot of what he says does make sense to me and I think I could find support for it in the Bible.

For example his sermon on the Sabbath July 26 sermon:
-- Ten Words and the Gospel Archives | Cornerstone Church Saint Paul
makes a lot of sense when it comes to remembering the event God tells us to remember on the Sabbath. He says God gave the Ten Commandments so that the people could experience "true freedom". I have to agree with that - in the sense that Romans 6 says that the lost condition is slavery to sin. The Gospel sets us free from slavery to sin. And 1 John 3:4 "sin is transgression of the law".
He says at point

5:35 that God wants His people to set the Sabbath day apart and keep it holy.
7:57 He says "I believe many people struggle with the concept of Sabbath either they don't take time to make it holy as God commanded or they ..."

Actually that sermon could have been preached today on Sabbath at my church with a lot of "Amen's" heard during the sermon, up until 12:01 at that point he starts to quote the book of Hebrews and talks about how the people were living in rebellion against God and therefore could not benefit from the Sabbath rest found in Jesus. (which of course is true in the case of those who unlike Moses and Elijah standing with Christ in Matthew 17) were choosing rebellion in the OT.
12:46 "So then there REMAINS a Sabbath rest for the people of God" - question "remains from when?" - Hebrews 4 says it remains from what it was back in the time of David and Psalms 95.

He says "Jesus is the true Sabbath" but never finds a text that actually says that... so it would be the one thing that we would have a problem with. Other than that - a lot of good points are in that sermon. He points out that the Sabbath goes all the way back to creation.

... the nice thing is your pastor claims the Sabbath commandment still applies and is not removed from the TEN.

At 14:04 "Christians are to obey the Sabbath...gives us time to ready ourselves for the next six days of labor" -- and adds
14:30 "in Calvin's institutes Sabbath is a day to gather for worship and rest from our labors"

And he ends with ten questions... very good questions.

He inserts "Sunday" in one of his ten questions as if anything in his sermon ever said "week day 1 is the Sabbath of the Lord Thy God" -- which in my view is the "Elephant in that living room" that someone would eventually notice.

Still I would prefer to get your take on your pastor's sermon. What did you find particularly interesting or insightful or is there a point he made in his sermon where you don't see anything here addressing the point or which answers a point raised on this thread?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think if you want to be perfect, you will keep all the levitical laws and not just the 10 commandments. .

Do you think that God counts it as a sin to not sacrifice an animal today when you want forgiveness of sin?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have seen a few sermons on this topic by pastors outside of my denomination - one was from Andy Stanley back in the days before he says he rejected the Ten Commandments. And as I said "section 19" of both the Baptist Confession of Faith, and the Westminster Confession of Faith deals with the Ten Commandments, is not from the POV of a group keeping the seventh day as the Sabbath but still affirms the Sabbath Commandment as included in the moral law of God , still binding on all mankind etc. They just believe it is "edited" in some way to now point to week-day-1.

I would prefer to get your take on your pastor's sermon. What did you find particularly interesting or insightful or is there a point he made in his sermon where you don't see anything here addressing the point or which answers a point raised on this thread?

Just what I have already said, notably, that Christ invites us to rest in Him. He also talked about the importance of a day of rest. He did not specify which day it needed to be. I believe he quoted from Matthew, Mark, Hebrews and some other passages on the importance of resting in Jesus in His sinless character.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you think that God counts it as a sin to not sacrifice an animal today when you want forgiveness of sin?

This is more or less the question I raised in the JM community here. I am not sure how that concluded. I do know that it would probably be wrong for MJ to completely forsake the Torah in favor of a completely new commandment, but I believe the Torah for gentiles is in loving everyone - even your persecutors.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree with all of that. What I disagree with is in what particular manifestation of keeping the law we ought to do. For a MJ, they are under the Torah in a more strict way than gentiles are. That does not mean that gentiles cannot be saved. I think this is why Jesus says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." The commandment Jesus gave was singular and not plural. That is HOW gentiles follow the Torah, through their love for one another. Paul emphasises the necessity of love in 1 Corinthians 13 saying "If I have no love I am a noisy gong". The point is to emphasis we are to love above all and in that is the fulfillment of the Law for Gentiles especially. If a gentile can love those who hate them, they have done a perfect thing! For as Jesus says, "even you who are evil love your family. So what does it profit a man to love those who love you?" Further, Apostle Peter reiterates this that "Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart." and Peter might be talking about loving those who persecute you indeed! How much more must we love those of our brothers of the Christian faith?

Yes, loving God and loving one another is very important. That's what the 10 commandments cover. The first 4 commandments written by God on one stone tablet, shows how we are to love and obey Him. The second tablet, the last 6 is how we are to treat each other.

To love God (which is His greatest commandment) is shown to Him when we obey His commandments.

1 John 5 2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

The 10 commandments are meant for everyone. Thankfully, we all have the opportunity to be saved. We are saved by grace, but God repeatedly asks us to keep His commandments. In Revelations alone , the commandments are mentioned three times. It's very clear, these are important to Him.

Revelation 12:17 – And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12 – Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14 – Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just what I have already said, notably, that Christ invites us to rest in Him. He also talked about the importance of a day of rest.

His actual commandment says "The seventh day is the Sabbath" Ex 20:10 and Hebrews 8:6-12 reminds us that it is "Christ speaking" at Sinai when He said "The seventh day is the Sabbath"

In your pastor's sermon he appears to insert "Weekday 1" as the Sabbath when he calls it Sunday in one of his last ten questions in his sermon on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is more or less the question I raised in the JM community here. I am not sure how that concluded. I do know that it would probably be wrong for MJ to completely forsake the Torah in favor of a completely new commandment, but I believe the Torah for gentiles is in loving everyone - even your persecutors.

"If you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15 and it is Jesus speaking the Commandments at Sinai according to Hebrew 8:6-12

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just what I have already said, notably, that Christ invites us to rest in Him. He also talked about the importance of a day of rest. He did not specify which day it needed to be. I believe he quoted from Matthew, Mark, Hebrews and some other passages on the importance of resting in Jesus in His sinless character.

57 minutes ago #143 he said the Sabbath commandment still applies to Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Man=all. I don't see where He said Sabbath was made for Jews.

The Sabbath was made for man, because God gave the command to the Jews for their benefit, as a day of rest. It was not given to be a burden to be used to crush people with, this is a criticism against the religious hypocrisy of Jesus' day. Go back and read the text.

This has nothing to do with the Sabbath having been given to everyone.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"If you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15 and it is Jesus speaking the Commandments at Sinai according to Hebrew 8:6-12

So we have to keep all 613 mitzvot that were given at Sinai?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God"
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. Ex 20:10-11

Lev 23
2 ...‘The Lord’s appointed times which you shall proclaim as holy convocations—My appointed times are these: 3 ‘For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a Sabbath of complete rest, a holy convocation. You shall not do any work; it is a sabbath to the Lord in all your dwellings.

"from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23,,, in the new Earth. So then that is for all eternity after the cross

Which of these instructs Christians to rest on the Sabbath?

I see a command given to the Jews to rest on the Sabbath in Exodus 20:10-11 and Leviticus 23:2-3, and I see the statement that we shall worship God from week to week in the Age to Come. But where is the Scripture where God commands Christians to rest on the Sabbath? That's what I've been asking for.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I see a command given to the Jews to rest on the Sabbath in Exodus 20:10-11 and Leviticus 23:2-3, and I see the statement that we shall worship God from week to week in the Age to Come. But where is the Scripture where God commands Christians to rest on the Sabbath? That's what I've been asking for.

-CryptoLutheran
It's in the 10 commandments written repeatedly in both New and Old Testaments. Nothing changed except the new covenant which Jesus asked us to keep His commandments in our minds and hearts.

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. (this pretty much covers everyone)

There is lots of scripture, maybe something to pray about?

Wasn't the Sabbath made only for the Jews? | Sabbath Truth
Multitudes of Christians refer to the seventh-day Sabbath as the “Jewish Sabbath,” but there is no such expression in the Bible.

It is called “the Sabbath of the Lord” (Exodus 20:10), for instance, but never “the Sabbath of the Jews.” Luke was a Gentile writer of the New Testament and often made reference to things that were peculiarly Jewish—he wrote of the “nation of the Jews,” the people of the Jews, the “land of the Jews,” and the “synagogue of the Jews” (Acts 10:22; 12:11; 10:39; 14:1). However, Luke never referred to the “Sabbath of the Jews” although he mentioned the Sabbath repeatedly.

Christ also taught that “the Sabbath was made for man” (Mark 2:27). Jesus used the term “man” in the generic sense, referring to mankind. The fact is that Adam and Eve were the only “mankind” in existence at the time God made the Sabbath. There would be no Jews in the world for at least 2,000 years after creation. Marriage was also introduced at creation. Woman was made for man (Genesis 2:22) as the Sabbath was made for man. Certainly no one believes that marriage was made only for the Jews.

The fact is that two beautiful, original blessings were set up by God Himself before sin ever came into our world—marriage and the Sabbath. Both were made for all of mankind, both received the special blessing of the Creator, and both continue to be just as holy now as when they were sanctified in the Garden of Eden.

Lord of the Sabbath Day
It is also interesting to note that Jesus was the One who made the Sabbath day in that creation week. Indeed, many overlook the fact that the God who created the world and made the Sabbath was Jesus Christ Himself. The apostle John wrote: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. … And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:1–3, 14). The apostle Paul also identified Jesus as the Creator: “The Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood. … By Him all things were created” (Colossians 1:13–16).

Thus, there was a reason for Jesus’ claim to be Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28). If He is Lord of the Sabbath day, then the Sabbath must be the Lord’s day. According the Revelation 1:10, John had a vision on “the Lord's day,” which means his vision occurred on the seventh day. The Sabbath is the only day so designated as “the Lord’s Day” and the only one claimed by God in the Bible. In writing the Ten Commandments, God called it the “Sabbath of the Lord” (Exodus 20:10). In Isaiah He is quoted as saying, “The Sabbath … My holy day” (Isaiah 58:13).

For Christians to separate Jesus from the Sabbath is a mistake, for He is the Author, the Maker, the Sanctifier, and the Architect of the Sabbath. To discount the blessing He placed on that day is to deny Him and His authority over our lives.

The Sabbath Is Not a Temporary Jewish Shadow
Furthermore, many have taught that the supposed “Jewish Sabbath” existed only for a limited period of time, as it was a shadow of our rest in Christ. However, the Sabbath could never have been just a type or shadow of anything—for the simple reason that it was made before sin entered the human family. Certain shadows and types were instituted as a result of sin and pointed forward to our deliverance from sin.

Such were the sacrifices employed to symbolize the death of Jesus, the Lamb of God. There would have been no animal sacrifices had there been no sin. Yet the Bible says these offerings were abolished when Christ died on the cross, because the symbol had met its fulfillment (Matthew 27:50, 51). The temple veil mentioned in this passage symbolized all the temple ceremonies that pointed to Christ’s death as the Lamb of God. The veil being torn at the moment Christ died communicated to the world that the significance of the ceremonies had been fulfilled. And the fact that the veil was torn from top to bottom indicated that it was God Himself who was communicating this message.

However, since no shadow existed before sin entered this world, the Sabbath—instituted on the seventh day of creation before Adam and Eve sinned—should not be included as merely a ceremonial law of types and shadows.

The apostle Paul referred to this temporary system of ordinances in Colossians 2:14–16 as being “against us” and “contrary to us.” He tied it to the meat offerings, drink offerings, and yearly festivals of the law that were “wiped out.” It is true he referred to “sabbaths” also in the text, but take careful note that he called them “sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come.” Were some sabbath days wiped out at the cross? Yes. There were at least four yearly sabbaths that came on certain set days of the month, and they were “nailed to the cross.”

These were shadows and required specified meat and drink offerings. All of these annual sabbaths are described in Leviticus 23:24–36, and then summarized in verses 37 and 38: “These are the feasts of the Lord which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire to the Lord, a burnt offering and a grain offering, a sacrifice and drink offerings, everything on its day—besides the Sabbaths of the Lord, besides your gifts, besides all your vows, and besides all your freewill offerings which you give to the Lord.”

The Scripture plainly differentiates between the annual, shadowy sabbaths and the weekly “Sabbaths of the Lord.” The ceremonial sabbaths were blotted out at the cross; they had been added as a consequence of sin. But the Sabbath of the Ten Commandment law had been hallowed before sin was introduced and was later incorporated into the great moral law written by the finger of God. It was eternal in its very nature and for all mankind, Jew and Gentile.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture doesn't say anything one way or the other, but every church established by the Apostles is liturgical and every one of those churches worships primarily on Sunday. From India and Armenia to Africa and England, all are consistent on Sunday and liturgy.
So says the Catholic Church, those who persecuted God's children for hundreds of years. Their heresy preserved through documents "they thought" worthy of preservation. But I guess this is not a bad thing entirely.

Actually History tells us by 100 ADish they were keeping the Sabbath and in honor of the resurrection they kept Sunday also.

Ignatius of Antioch a bishop of Antioch wrote:

"Let us therefore no longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness …. let every friend of Christ keep the Lord’s Day as a festival."

IGNATIUS, EPISTLE TO THE MAGNESIANS

No longer keep means up to that point they were keeping it. So your information is not true. And incidentally there is nothing in the Scriptures that says we are to worship on the 1st day of the week in honor of Christ's resurrection. GOD DID HOWEVER give us Communion in honoring of HIS resurrection and the Gift of the Gospel. So let us do it often in remembrance of Him. Incidentally please take note. Ignatius did not suggest that we no longer keep the Sabbath but that we no longer keep it after the Jewish manner. That we rejoice in the day of idleness. As if there was a state of contrite solemness with out rejoicing done by them on the Sabbath. Also it would be worthy to notice that Sunday is not mentioned as a day of worship but to be as a festival. Not as replacement but in addition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

He specified "Sunday" near the end of his sermon on the Sabbath -- no matter that the actual Bible says the "seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD" Ex 20:10-11.

He takes the same view as D.L. Moody, the "Baptist Confession of Faith" , and the "Westminster Confession of Faith" where they all affirm that the moral law of God including the Ten Commandments were known and applicable from Eden onward. This is not just a point that the Sabbath keepers raise.

He then ends his Sabbath sermon appealing to some sort of "edit" that would "change the commandment of God" - as God gave it, from "the seventh day is the Sabbath" to "the first day of the week is the Sabbath" by inserting "Sunday" ( Which is also what the three sources I put in bold also claim about such an "edit").

Yet - that is still a far cry from "no 4th commandment for Christians" and "no more Ten Commandments"

So now you have the Sabbath as God's commandment for you - for Christians (according to your pastor at your link you posted) , being included in the New Covenant "Law of God written on the heart" calling for 6 days of work and one day devoted to worship -- but he seems to claim that we must now "add" that it is NOT as you find it in the word of God? - Rather the 4th commandment is now just as "edited" by tradition ... edited to point to week-day-1?? seriously?

This law of God that "defines what sin is " 1 John 3:4 can be "edited" by man??

Changing it from God's seventh day (Ex 20:10) ... to "week day 1"???

Even though - not a single text of scripture for such a bold move on the Law of God?

This is where the serious Bible student raises his/her hand to say "hey wait a minute - go over that again one more time please"

Last edited:
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

God's word says to mankind "rest on the Sabbath" as Christ affirms the "Sabbath was made for mankind not mankind made for the Sabbath" Mark 2:27. That addresses the "making" of both in Genesis 1-2:3 Ex 20:11

I see a command given to the Jews to rest on the Sabbath in Exodus 20:10-11 and Leviticus 23:2-3

I see gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping in Isaiah 56:6-8
I see the Sabbath command as known to Isaiah and his readers (exegesis) applied to "all mankind" in Isaiah 66:23

, and I see the statement that we shall worship God from week to week in the Age to Come.

From Sabbath to Sabbath.

"from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord." KJV
"from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord." NKJV
"from Sabbath to Sabbath, All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the Lord. NASB
"from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord."NIV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When Christ was confronted with "sayings" and "traditions" of the magesterium of the nation-church of his day -- which was the one true nation church started by God at Sinai , that got off the rails to the point that they contradicted the Bible, He said this.

Mark 7
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

When confronted with the sayings and traditions of man - ask "What does God's Word say?"

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He specified "Sunday" near the end of his sermon on the Sabbath -- no matter that the actual Bible says the "seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD" Ex 20:10-11.

He takes the same view as D.L. Moody, the "Baptist Confession of Faith" , and the "Westminster Confession of Faith" where they all affirm that the moral law of God including the Ten Commandments were known and applicable from Eden onward. This is not just a point that the Sabbath keepers raise.

He then ends his Sabbath sermon appealing to some sort of "edit" that would "change the commandment of God" - as God gave it, from "the seventh day is the Sabbath" to "the first day of the week is the Sabbath" by inserting "Sunday" in. Which is also what the three sources I put in bold also do.

That is still a far cry from "no 4th commandment for Christians"

So now you have the Sabbath as God's commandment for you - for Christians , included in the New Covenant "Law of God written on the heart" calling for 6 days of work and one day devoted to worship -- just as your pastor also admits in his sermon that you linked --- but we must now "add" that it is NOT as you find it in the word of God? - Rather just as "edited" by tradition ... to week-day-1?? seriously?

This law of God that "defines what sin is " 1 John 3:4 can be "edited" by man?? Changing it from God's seventh day... to "week day 1"??? Not a single text of scripture for such a bold move on the Law of God?

This is where the serious Bible student raises his/her hand to say "hey wait a minute - go over that again one more time please"

What do you make of point ten in the second set? Theologetic Table of Evidence

Upvote 0