Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi spark, your claim that since 100 languages (Googled how many) use Sabbath to name the seventh-day proves the Sabbath was/is a requirement for all mankind. Well, I also looked up how many languages are or have been used in the World and guess what, there are a total of 7117 different languages. 100 out of 7117 isn't as convincing as you wish it were, huh. I have to assume that the 100 nations also knew that God rested on the last day of the week, so they named the day rest day. It is also very obvious that God didn't give them laws or commands on how to observe the rest day. (I challenged you to give even one example of any proof that any nation ever observed the commanded Sabbath like Israel had and all you did was to make an excuse.) The other 7007 languages didn't use Sabbath or a derivative in their naming of the days. Some had an eight-day week. We know that for a fact. Hanging your hat on the fact that other languages used Rest as a name of the week to prove your point is like skating on very thin ice water.

Hi Bob S,

It seems that you don't want to own up to your own failed premise and as such I must needs be reposting it so that you don't have the luxury of spinning the narrative a different direction. You falsely insisted:

Seems very exclusive when we look at history and find that even today much of the Earth' population has not an inkling of knowledge of Saturday being special. As far as I know of all the artifacts man has discovered there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath. Some nations had an eight-day week. Some may have not even recognized such a cycle.

Does 100 languages meet with your "not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath"? Absolutely not! Even if there was a single language other than Hebrew that named the seventh day of the week as "Sabbath" your teaching would be proven false. But you just went and proved to yourself that there are actually 100 languages! And will you humbly admit to any error on your part? Absolutely not! Now that your false teaching has been exposed you're attempting to do damage control by twisting your initial premise of not an inkling of knowledge to insisting that essentially the whole world must have the word Sabbath embedded each nation's language in order for you to acknowledge that the Sabbath was not just for Israel. It's absurd.

In the preamble to my tenth reason I'm a sabbatarian I noted that there are flood traditions in various cultures around the world. However these flood traditions are not embedded in every single culture of the world. If we were to utilize your post modern "logic" we'd have to conclude that since every culture doesn't talk about the flood that it must not have been an actual event. Who knows, based on this conversation you may even believe that. For me, as a believer in the Bible as the word of God, I see these historical accounts of the flood as external verifications of something I would believe with or without these stories. The stories are just an additional validation for what the Bible teaches. I don't need to see that there are flood stories in every single culture in order to believe the biblical account is true.

All we know is that God gave one nation the Sabbath. It is pure speculation to try to prove that since 100 languages out of 7117 used the word for rest, Sabbath, that anyone except Israel tried to kept it Holy.

What we "know" is that no matter what proof is presented to the critics they will dismiss it or insist on more. It's not speculation to acknowledge that your premise that "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath" has been proven false. How much is an "inkling" in your mind? Does 100 languages count?

Since your post is stooping to the level of nonsense and misnomers, I will not bother with correcting your innuendos.

I don't think you know what would qualify as nonsense. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's nonsense. Let's just remember that you're the one insisting that "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath," and when you've been corrected you don't acknowledge the correction and merely attempt to slide into another shadow. Then too, you also made the false claim that, "There were absolutely no absolution for breaking a law dealing with morality" and insisted that "Throughout the Old Testament people were excused when breaking the Sabbath which was a ritual law." I referred you to a familiar Bible story of the man who was stoned to death for gathering wood on the Sabbath. Did you acknowledge the correction you received? No. Why? Because your anti sabbatarian house of cards is built on this false premise. To admit that your morality premise is flawed would collapse your imaginary stack of cards.

It's hard to kick against the goads.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bob S,

It seems that you don't want to own up to your own failed premise and as such I must needs be reposting it so that you don't have the luxury of spinning the narrative a different direction. You falsely insisted:

Seems very exclusive when we look at history and find that even today much of the Earth' population has not an inkling of knowledge of Saturday being special. As far as I know of all the artifacts man has discovered there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath. Some nations had an eight-day week. Some may have not even recognized such a cycle.

Does 100 languages meet with your "not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath"? Absolutely not! Even if there was a single language other than Hebrew that named the seventh day of the week as "Sabbath" your teaching would be proven false. But you just went and proved to yourself that there are actually 100 languages! And will you humbly admit to any error on your part? Absolutely not! Now that your false teaching has been exposed you're attempting to do damage control by twisting your initial premise of not an inkling of knowledge to insisting that essentially the whole world must have the word Sabbath embedded each nation's language in order for you to acknowledge that the Sabbath was not just for Israel. It's absurd.
Wow! How you make a pigs ear into a silk purse is amazing. What you have completely failed to accomplish is finding any nation that has ever celebrated the Sabbath except for Israel. Naming a day Sabbath by no means tells us anyone made the day special. The may have named the day Sabbath, but as I stated there is absolutely no shred of evidence anyone ever kept it Holy, which has always been my contention. Your attempt is futile and you, of all people should realize your error.

In the preamble to my tenth reason I'm a sabbatarian I noted that there are flood traditions in various cultures around the world. However these flood traditions are not embedded in every single culture of the world. If we were to utilize your post modern "logic" we'd have to conclude that since every culture doesn't talk about the flood that it must not have been an actual event. Who knows, based on this conversation you may even believe that. For me, as a believer in the Bible as the word of God, I see these historical accounts of the flood as external verifications of something I would believe with or without these stories. The stories are just an additional validation for what the Bible teaches. I don't need to see that there are flood stories in every single culture in order to believe the biblical account is true.
There you go again trying to relate the knowledge of the flood with the fourth commandment. Many nations agree with the great flood that covered the Earth, but not even one believes they were/are commanded to observe Seventh-day Sabbath command of the old covenant ten commandments. You are not the least convincing.

What we "know" is that no matter what proof is presented to the critics they will dismiss it or insist on more. It's not speculation to acknowledge that your premise that "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath" has been proven false. How much is an "inkling" in your mind? Does 100 languages count?
That statement is so laughable spark. You tell us that because the seventh-day is named Sabbath you expect us to believe that at sometime in history 100 nations kept the Sabbath? We should not question you? You tell us because of a name they knew how to observe it? I say bologna.

I don't think you know what would qualify as nonsense.
Is that a nice way to tell me I am stupid, especially when nothing in history gives an inkling that any nation kept Sabbath?

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's nonsense. Let's just remember that you're the one insisting that "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any knowledge of Sabbath," and when you've been corrected you don't acknowledge the correction and merely attempt to slide into another shadow. Then too, you also made the false claim that, "There were absolutely no absolution for breaking a law dealing with morality" and insisted that "Throughout the Old Testament people were excused when breaking the Sabbath which was a ritual law." I referred you to a familiar Bible story of the man who was stoned to death for gathering wood on the Sabbath. Did you acknowledge the correction you received? No. Why? Because your anti sabbatarian house of cards is built on this false premise. To admit that your morality premise is flawed would collapse your imaginary stack of cards.
Spark, I am aware of the names of the week and have been since you made that clear in another forum. Knowing the names of the week does not constitute any knowledge of the Israelite Sabbath.

It's hard to kick against the goads.
Yes it is especially when one doesn't have any tangible proof.

Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wow! How you make a pigs ear into a silk purse is amazing. What you have completely failed to accomplish is finding any nation that has ever celebrated the Sabbath except for Israel. Naming a day Sabbath by no means tells us anyone made the day special. The may have named the day Sabbath, but as I stated there is absolutely no shred of evidence anyone ever kept it Holy, which has always been my contention. Your attempt is futile and you, of all people should realize your error.

If there's a pig's ear it's made from the material your own words provide. Here's the material you supplied: "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any KNOWLEDGE of Sabbath." Now that your pig's ear has been exposed to the light of day instead of humbly acknowledging your false teaching you are attempting to rephrase your nonsense to bypass the facts that just collided with your previous contention. Now instead of claiming no one had "any knowledge of Sabbath" your new idea attempts to find "any nation that has ever CELEBRATED the Sabbath except for Israel." This is disingenuous and gives every indication of coming from someone whose predetermined belief is so embedded that even their own words being directly answered has no effect on them.

Why did you change your contention? But hey, you just do what you do.

The mere fact that the word Sabbath is embedded in 100 different cultures should provide the very answer you seek. For a culture to name their seventh day of the week with a word that literally means "rest" but then have no conception of its background stretches credulity well beyond the breaking point. But hey, you just do what you do.

The may have named the day Sabbath, but as I stated there is absolutely no shred of evidence anyone ever kept it Holy, which has always been my contention. Your attempt is futile and you, of all people should realize your error.

I'd love to see where on this thread you've EVER made this contention. Let's see the evidence. In my estimation this is a desperate attempt at damage control for something you KNOW has been exposed as error. But instead of frankly admitting your error you insist on making me rehash it so everyone has to relive your false teaching again and again. But hey, you just do what you do.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there's a pig's ear it's made from the material your own words provide. Here's the material you supplied: "there is not an inkling of mankind showing they had any KNOWLEDGE of Sabbath." Now that your pig's ear has been exposed to the light of day instead of humbly acknowledging your false teaching you are attempting to rephrase your nonsense to bypass the facts that just collided with your previous contention. Now instead of claiming no one had "any knowledge of Sabbath" your new idea attempts to find "any nation that has ever CELEBRATED the Sabbath except for Israel." This is disingenuous and gives every indication of coming from someone whose predetermined belief is so embedded that even their own words being directly answered has no effect on them.
What is the truth is that I have asked you several times for any history of any nation that kept the Seventh-day. I have yet to receive a peep from you. Again, just because a week day had a derivative of the word Sabbath does not, in any way, prove observance. If you don't like the way I posed the statement then too bad because if they had knowledge of the Sabbath law some nations would have observed the day

Why did you change your contention? But hey, you just do what you do.
Didn't change anything spark, just added to my previous statement. Since you just circle around and never come up with any information then your day naming is useless.

The mere fact that the word Sabbath is embedded in 100 different cultures should provide the very answer you seek.
Oh come on spark. Who are you trying to convince, certainly not me.

For a culture to name their seventh day of the week with a word that literally means "rest" but then have no conception of its background stretches credulity well beyond the breaking point. But hey, you just do what you do.
Only in your mind.

I'd love to see where on this thread you've EVER made this contention. Let's see the evidence. In my estimation this is a desperate attempt at damage control for something you KNOW has been exposed as error. But instead of frankly admitting your error you insist on making me rehash it so everyone has to relive your false teaching again and again. But hey, you just do what you do.
What is grossly false is your contention that because a derivative of the name Sabbath was used by 100 languages means that thy kept the Sabbath. How about coughing up some facts that they did. Remember there were over 7,000 languages that didn't use a derivative of Sabbath in their names of the week. Some societies had an eight-day week. How would you explain that fact?

The fact is that God only gave one nation, Israel, the Sabbath. You have to believe it because you cannot prove otherwise.

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Except to say Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law, no. But the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible either.

I can only illustrate it this way: Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And then there is this, as well:

Heb 4:6-11
6 It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. 7 Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before:

"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts."

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains , then, a Sabbath — rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
NIV

I don't think the writer was thinking "that rest" was on the seventh day of the week or even the first day of the week. He definitely had in mind a much greater rest -- a rest that can only be found in Christ. And this interpretation keeps with a major theme of the book which is the superiority of Christ. Superior to Moses, to the angels, etc. This, then, would make make the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses a type of rest in the coming Messiah.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

6 It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. 7 Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before:

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains , then, a Sabbath — rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
NIV

I don't think the writer was thinking "that rest" was on the seventh day of the week or even the first day of the week. He definitely had in mind a much greater rest -- a rest that can only be found in Christ. And this interpretation keeps with a major theme of the book which is the superiority of Christ. Superior to Moses, to the angels, etc. This, then, would make make the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses a type of rest in the coming Messiah.

You missed an important verse that spells out when Christ rested and it is the same day we are to rest per the commandment of God. Exodus 20:8-11

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;

Hebrews 4:10 specifically tells us we must cease from our works as God did from His to enter into His spiritual rest. When did God cease from His works? This very passage tells us Hebrews 4:4 which is a reference from Creation. Genesis 2:1-3 and the same day we are commanded to rest from our work and keep the Sabbath holy Exodus 20:8-11 because we are made in the image of God and are to follow Him.

Obviously the writer was thinking the rest is on the seventh day because it specifically tells us that.

Which is a reminder that the people of God keep the seventh day Sabbath as the verse tells us Hebrews 4:9

This passage also reminds us that the Israelites did not enter into Christ rest because they were disobedient Hebrews 4:6 and what they disobeyed was the Sabbath Ezekiel 20:13, Ezekiel 20:21 so we should be careful not to follow their path.

God's people keep the commandments of God which of course includes the 4th commandment. Revelation 14:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the writer was thinking the rest is on the seventh day because it specifically tells us that.

Hi SabbathBlessings,

That is pretty self-evident from a normative reading of the text.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Also, to all the participants on this thread, I would ask this: Can we have a legitimate, meaningful discussion about the 4th commandment apart from covenantal considerations? The indisputable fact is that the sabbath was not mandated until the Covenant of Law was instituted for the Jews under Moses. AND...the sabbath itself was a sign of the Mosaic Covenant! Moreover, if the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses is still binding in this New Covenant dispensation, this this would have to mean that the penalty for violations of the sabbath (i.e. death) would have to be equally as binding today.

• Winner
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Except to say Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law, no. But the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible either.

I can only illustrate it this way: Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Hi Jesse Dornfeld,

Someone just recently responded to this post. From a quick review of my replies on this thread it doesn't appear that I addressed this with you. That said, on October 1 I started a new thread which addresses what I believe is the inconsistent use of the above text reference (see below):

The spiritual rest that Jesus supplies doesn't overturn the physical rest which He also supplies in His once a week Sabbath rest. Compare the following two passages and consider the three color-coded elements and then see if you can answer the related questions:

Matthew 11:28
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

John 7:37
On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink."

T__ F__ There is a physical component to humans resting on the Sabbath.
T__ F__ Finding spiritual rest in Jesus is no different than drinking spiritual water. Both do not negate the continued need for their physical counterpart.
T__ F__ Resting in Jesus means that humans no longer require any physical rest.

I pray this helps.

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Also, to all the participants on this thread, I would ask this: Can we have a legitimate, meaningful discussion about the 4th commandment apart from covenantal considerations? The indisputable fact is that the sabbath was not mandated until the Covenant of Law was instituted for the Jews under Moses. AND...the sabbath itself was a sign of the Mosaic Covenant! Moreover, if the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses is still binding in this New Covenant dispensation, this this would have to mean that the penalty for violations of the sabbath (i.e. death) would have to be equally as binding today.

Hi Doran,

If you read the opening post you'd see that the ten reasons for being a Sabbatarian are given "apart from covenantal considerations." The OP also has a number of points which dispute your "indisputable fact." Have you read the opening post? If so, have you responded to any of the ten reasons given for being a Sabbatarian?

I find it odd that you request that "we have a legitimate, meaningful discussion about the 4th commandment apart from covenantal considerations," but then at the end of your post you redirect the conversation back to the very thing you seek to set apart. So which is it? Shall we have a covenantal discussion or no?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi SabbathBlessings,

That is pretty self-evident from a normative reading of the text.

God bless!

Agreed! But people seem to miss that verse for some strange reason and Hebrews 4:9-11

• Agree
Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Moreover, if the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses is still binding in this New Covenant dispensation, this this would have to mean that the penalty for violations of the sabbath (i.e. death) would have to be equally as binding today.
Just curious why you are singling out just the Sabbath commandment, when scripture tells us idolators, those who are rebellious from their parents, those who commit adultery and other violations of the moral code were also put to death. Deuteronomy 13:6, 10; 21:18, 21; 22: 21-28, and all of Leviticus 20.

The penalty for sin is still death, but instead of God directing the punishment at that time in the OC, now sinners will be dealt with at the last day. Hebrews 10:26-30

The Ten Commandments just points out sin so we know what not to break. 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7. The commandments are a unit of Ten, not one or nine, so they cannot be separated as God placed them together written by His own finger on stone. Exodus 31:18 and if we break of one these commandments we break them all James 2:10-12

We have a very merciful Savior who longs for to obey Him and turn from sin, and though Him, He gives us a new heart and we can ask for forgiveness and turn from sin and walk in newness of Christ in obedience to His commandments and He gives us His Spirit to help us obey John 14:15-18 Acts 5:32 and through Him we can gain victory over sin.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

NIV

Hi Doran,

Nice to meet you, and welcome to CF!

By now you've probably seen that these discussions have a long history here (including a lot of posts by me :) )
Sabbath and The Law

Nice to have a fresh voice joining us :thumbsup:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi chad kincham,

As I stated in my previous post, it is apparent that the law was revealed and known in the world before Moses without there being any record of God commanding or otherwise revealing His will to His creation.
  1. Before Cain murdered his brother God told him that "sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it." Where is the divine will revealed identifying that murder is a sin?
  2. Speaking of Cain, how did he and Abel know about the sacrificial system? Why was what Cain offered rejected and Abel's offering accepted?
  3. On what revealed basis did God condemn all but 8 of the entire preflood world?
  4. On what revealed basis is Noah found to be righteous and blameless while God identified the earth as being "corrupt...and full of violence"? On what revealed basis can you determine what is considered "corrupt" such that God determined to destroy the earth?
  5. Joseph knew it was "wicked" and a "sin against God" for him to commit adultery. How did he come to this realization?

Exodus 20:8-11 provides the original Sabbath command and explanation which God spoke for all Israel to hear. We keep the Sabbath as a weekly memorial of the creation event. Toward the end of their 40 years in the wilderness Moses provided this sort of renewal of vows reading of the Ten Commandment covenant in which the Sabbath is given additional meaning for this group to recall their freedom from slavery.

Again, the Sabbath origin is found in Genesis, "in the beginning." There were no Jews then. Only Adam, Eve, and their Creator. Since Adam and Eve were created on the sixth day then they would be with Jesus when He rested on the seventh. Do you really believe Jesus rested, blessed and made holy the seventh day and then when Adam and Eve asked Him about why He did this He responded, "Don't worry about that. That won't apply to you or anyone else for 2,000 years. Then I'll have someone reference back to this moment as the reason for why it is important later"?

From my understanding of Scripture icy that the new covenant is only for the "people of Israel and the people of Judah" (Hebrews 8:7-13). If you're a Gentile like me then we become part of Israel by being grafted into Israel's tree (Romans 11:11-24).

I'm curious. Since Jesus didn't tell a single one of His twelve closest followers that the one command He said to "Remember" is the one He wanted everyone to forget (Luke 23:56), at what point did this overruling revelation come into effect? Jesus spoke the Ten Commandments for all the upwards of two million people in the wilderness to hear, and it was so awe-some that the people insisted that they preferred not to hear God's voice (Exodus 20:19). Yet supposedly this one command which was to be remembered (Psalm 111:4) was suddenly, selectively and secretively removed from the Ten Commandment covenant?

I pray this helps.

Icy, nine of the ten commandments are repeated in the NT epistles. Why isn't the 4th commandment among these?

And I have another question: Is the Church today under the Old or New Covenant?

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Doran,

Nice to meet you, and welcome to CF!

By now you've probably seen that these discussions have a long history here (including a lot of posts by me :) )
Sabbath and The Law

Nice to have a fresh voice joining us :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind welcome.

As iron sharpens iron, may we all, in love, help each other grow in our knowledge and love for our Lord and Savior.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Icy, nine of the ten commandments are repeated in the NT epistles. Why isn't the 4th commandment among these?

Hi,

I'm not icy, but since I am online and have a few minutes I will try to answer.

Actually, all Ten of the commandments have been repeated in the NT. Not only have they been repeated, but as our Greatest example Jesus kept all of the commandments of God John 15:10 including the Sabbath commandment. Jesus was crucified for being accused of breaking the Sabbath commandment, so of course it is part of the NT, but Jesus never sinned, nor broke the Sabbath. Instead, Jesus was in the Temple reading the Word of God on the Sabbath as our example to follow. Luke 4:16, Mark 1:21, Mark 6:2, Luke 6:6. We also see the apostles keeping the Sabbath decades after Jesus ascended back to heaven Acts 18:4, Acts 13:42, Acts 13:44 so the Sabbath is very much part of the teachings of the NT. It is mentioned over 50 times and still called the Sabbath which means it has never ended.

We are in the New Covenant and God wrote His laws in our hearts and minds Hebrews 8:10 which is repeated verbatim from the OT Jeremiah 31:33and if we don't allow our mind to be changed, we remain in Christ. Sabbath-keeping will never go away according to scripture. It is the holy day of our Lord Exodus 20:10, Isaiah 58:13 and will continue to be the Lords chosen day of worship for all eternity. Isaiah 66:22-23.

Maybe Icy will add more. . .

I will leave you with this- The Ten Commandments repeated in the NT for everyday Christian living.

The Law of God in the New Testament.
1. "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Matthew 4:10).
2. "Little children, keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21). "Since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising" (Acts 17:29).
3. "That the name of God and His doctrine may not be blasphemed" (1 Timothy 6:1).
4. "He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: 'And God rested on the seventh day from all His works.' There remains therefore a rest ["keeping of a sabbath," margin] for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His" (Hebrews 4:4, 9, 10).
Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.
5. "Honor your father and your mother" (Matthew 19:19).
6. "You shall not murder" (Romans 13:9).
7. "You shall not commit adultery" (Matthew 19:18).
8. "You shall not steal" (Romans 13:9).
9. "You shall not bear false witness" (Romans 13:9).
10. "You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).

The Law of God in the Old Testament.
1. "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3).
2. "You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments" (Exodus 20:4–6).
3. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7).
4. "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:8–11).
5. "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you" (Exodus 20:12).
6. "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13).
7. "You shall not commit adultery" (Exodus 20:14).
8. "You shall not steal" (Exodus 20:15).
9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" (Exodus 20:16).
10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's" (Exodus 20:17).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would like to ask you the same question I asked Icy: Nine of the ten commandments are specifically repeated in the NT epistles; why isn't the 4th commandment among them?
Hi! Looks like I beat you to that! Ten Reasons I'm a Sabbatarian [moved thread]

There is a spiritual war going on and there is no scripture that says the commandments of God has ended. Instead you will find God's saints keep the commandments of God (of course this includes the 4th commandment) and faith in Jesus until the very end of time. Revelation 14:12

The Sabbath is a sign between God and His people and how He sanctifies us Ezekiel 20:12, Ezekiel 20:20 because we cannot sanctify ourselves. Why do you think there is a such a war over the 4th commandment? We are warned the devil deceives the whole world, who do you think wants us not to keep God's holy Sabbath day and break the 4th commandment. It is not God. Revelation 12:17 God said the Sabbath is a sign between Him and His people, I don't know about you, but I want to be one of God's people so its best to obey God over man, which is a warning Jesus gave directly from the Ten Commandments. Matthew 15:3-9

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm not icy, but since I am online and have a few minutes I will try to answer.

Glad to make your acquaintance, SB. (Hope you don't mind the abbreviation; I like to economize on key strokes <g>.) Since the topic of the Sabbath is a complex, multi-faceted issue, what I'd like to do in order to do justice your thoughtful post is to break up my response into bite-sized chunks.

Actually, all Ten of the commandments have been repeated in the NT. Not only have they been repeated, but as our Greatest example Jesus kept all of the commandments of God John 15:10 including the Sabbath commandment. Jesus was crucified for being accused of breaking the Sabbath commandment, so of course it is part of the NT, but Jesus never sinned, nor broke the Sabbath. Instead, Jesus was in the Temple reading the Word of God on the Sabbath as our example to follow. Luke 4:16, Mark 1:21, Mark 6:2, Luke 6:6. We also see the apostles keeping the Sabbath decades after Jesus ascended back to heaven Acts 18:4, Acts 13:42, Acts 13:44 so the Sabbath is very much part of the teachings of the NT. It is mentioned over 50 times and still called the Sabbath which means it has never ended.

Regarding Jesus, we should remember that he was born under the Law (Gal 4:4); so, yes, he kept the Law of Moses perfectly -- something that none of us can do. But in addition to this, when Jesus entered this dark, forlorn world he walked the fine line between two distinct ages or "ethos", if you will. His entrance into this world, or perhaps even more specifically and accurately his redemptive work on the Cross marked the beginning of the end of one age (Old Covenant Judaism under the Law of Moses) and the beginning of a new one (God's New Creation under the New Covenant.) This beginning of the end of the old and the beginning of the other occurred at Jesus's death when that very thick, heavy curtain that separated the holy of holies from the holy place was rent in two from top to bottom (Mat 27.51). The full termination of the Old Covenant age occurred, of course, in 70 A.D. when Rome destroyed the epicenter of Judaism -- the temple.

I say this to try to impress upon you that this transition period from the old age to the new was a once-in-a-lifetime, unique, non-repeatable time in human and church history, and it was also the time of the apostolic age. The apostles lived during this very unique time in history - a period of change and continuity from the old to the new. We should remember that not everything carries over from the Old Covenant era to the New. Even Jesus spoke to this fact (Mat 9:16-17). To mix the old with the new can have disastrous effects! For example, let me repeat a question I asked yesterday: If the 4th commandment under the Law of Moses is still binding upon us, would that not mean that the prescribed penalty under said Law for violation of that commandment (capital punishment!) also equally applies to the Church today? If not, why not!?

Your cites of various passages in Acts above does not prove that the 4th commandment is binding upon New Covenant believers. All it proves is that Paul had a burden for the salvation of his brothers according to the flesh, and that he wisely visited them where those unbelieving Jews worshiped every week for the purpose of preaching the gospel to them. What better place and time could Paul have gone to to preach the Messiah to a large audience of Jews and proselytes?

More later...

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi Doran,

Could you supply texts for each of these nine commandments which are supposedly repeated in the New Testament? Thanks!

Let's define terms. Could you tell me what you believe a covenant is and what specifically the Old Covenant is? Thanks!

Upvote 0