Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, you made this good point regarding the old covenant, in which the "people" will do everything what the Lord said ...(as you quoted Exodus 19)...

Under the new covenant Only God will do everything that He promised.. that's the difference! (People has no part to play in regards to their salvation, because they cannot submit to God's law as a result of their sins)

The old covenant law was based on the people works ("works of the law") in which no one can be declared Righteous as a result of their works...

Hi pasifika,

Hmm, I wonder.

I'm sure you likely believe in once saved, always saved, but I wonder if you've ever considered that position in relation to what Paul says below:

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

If OSAS is true, then why would Paul suggest that people who are always and forever saved should be subjecting themselves to personal scrutiny to determine if they are truly "in the faith"? I wonder.

If Jesus Christ is in you is you then would He not empower you to obey His law? I wonder.

If one cannot obey the law does that not indicate that Jesus Christ is not in them and does that not indicate that they have failed the test? I wonder.

I pray this helps.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I did not say Jesus sinned.

The text of John chapter 5 has Jesus saying He worked on the Sabbath day in John 5:17.

Can you explain why it was legal for Jesus to work on the Sabbath day?

If Jesus broke the Sabbath that is sinning and breaking one of His Fathers commandments. Jesus never sinned.

As stated previously, the work of Jesus is not secular. Just like a preacher who is preaching the Word of God on the Sabbath is not doing secular work. The work of the Father is not the same as doing work of labor. The Sabbath is about God- doing His ways, not our own. Isaiah 58:13-14

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus broke the Sabbath that is sinning and breaking one of His Fathers commandments. Jesus never sinned.

As stated previously, the work of Jesus is not secular. Just like a preacher who is preaching the Word of God on the Sabbath is not doing secular work. The work of the Father is not the same as doing work of labor. The Sabbath is about God- doing His ways, not our own. Isaiah 58:13-14

It was legal for the priests to work on the Sabbath day, and we know from the Book of Hebrews that Christ is a High Priest.

Who are also priests in the New Covenant text below?

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Based on text above, every New Covenant believer is a member of the priesthood and therefore can legally work on the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was legal for the priests to work on the Sabbath day, and we know from the Book of Hebrews that Christ is a High Priest.

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Based on text above, every New Covenant believer is a member of the priesthood and therefore can legally work on the Sabbath day.

Hi BABerean2,

Jesus wasn't doing carpentry on the Sabbath.

God bless!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

As stated, it is lawful to do the work of God on the Sabbath reading His Word, going to Church preaching or hearing His Word and prayer, as shown through scripture.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to one saved always saved, I present this promise from the Holy Writ:
Jude 1:24
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Do you claim the promise???

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi BABerean2,

Jesus wasn't doing carpentry on the Sabbath.

God bless!

The Master Carpenter has built us a new house out of two pieces of wood and a handful of nails, which made the Old Covenant "obsolete" in the same way my chainsaw has made my axe obsolete.

Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

• Winner
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi pasifika,

Hmm, I wonder.

I'm sure you likely believe in once saved, always saved, but I wonder if you've ever considered that position in relation to what Paul says below:

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

If OSAS is true, then why would Paul suggest that people who are always and forever saved should be subjecting themselves to personal scrutiny to determine if they are truly "in the faith"? I wonder.
satin will still tempt us in every way, but Jesus can and will keep us from falling. Jn 3:16

If Jesus Christ is in you is you then would He not empower you to obey His law? I wonder.
Absolutely, why do you wonder?

If one cannot obey the law does that not indicate that Jesus Christ is not in them and does that not indicate that they have failed the test? I wonder.
1Jn3: 4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

1Jn3:
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Obeying the law in your prospectus is keeping a few of the old covenant laws. For those of us who are new covenant believers, we too believe in keeping laws, laws of the new covenant. 1Jn3: 4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
Jn3:19
19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

That is the Word of God for the people of God.

If we love Jesus and our fellow man, we will not steal, we will not bear false witness, we will not kill nor do anything against God or our fellow man. We are able to live by the laws our Savior gave us because the Holy Spirit in us keeps us from falling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,516.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi pasifika,

Hmm, I wonder.

I pray this helps.

Hello, since our conversation has shifted to another topic (OSAS) which I have no understanding on its foundational meaning and applications (biblical sense)
I will then try and respond to your question the way I see it..

If it God's Will to save anyone then He will Never fail to achieve that goal.

If God can give life to the dead and raise them up, then He can also make a sinner to be holy and have eternal life...

I agree that if Christ in you or me then we will obey His Law and commandments ALL the time..the question is do you obey His Law and commandments 100% all the time, everyday etc, through the old covenant law and commands, then that's between you and God...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,516.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
satin will still tempt us in every way, but Jesus can and will keep us from falling. Jn 3:16

Gal3: 4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Gal3:

Obeying the law in your prospectus is keeping a few of the old covenant laws. For those of us who are new covenant believers, we too believe in keeping laws, laws of the new covenant. 1Jn3: 4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

If we love Jesus and our fellow man, we will not steal, we will not bear false witness, we will not kill nor do anything against God or our fellow man. We are able to live by the laws our Savior gave us because the Holy Spirit in us keeps us from falling.
Thanks @Bob S

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi Bob S,

John 3:16 doesn't say anything about keeping us from falling. I would think that you'd have that verse memorized by now. However, there is another passage that indicates that no one is compelled to sin and that with every temptation God provides a way to keep us from falling:

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Icyspark said:

I wonder why people cannot let the Word of God read in its normative sense. When you say "Absolutely" icy from your following misuse of Scripture that your affirmation has little to do with the law that you actually disavow. Your position is redactive and subtractive. You affirm but your affirmation is in reality a denial.

Gal3: 4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Inherent in the above text is a biblical definition of sin: "Sin is lawlessness." Or as other translations put it: "Sin is the transgression of the law." For those who believe that the law is abolished, or obsolete (rather than the agreement/covenant being obsolete) this text is meaningless. There is no longer any sin for anyone. If the law is abolished for you then it's abolished for everyone. The whole world would be sinless in this sin-ario. Thus NO ONE would be in need of a Savior.

But that's not what the text above says, now is it? "No one who LIVES IN HIM keeps on sinning." If the law is eradicated then it wouldn't matter, it shouldn't matter whether we're living "IN HIM" to determine whether we are or are not sinning. Sin would "absolutely" be a thing of the past. Why is it you still acknowledge yourself as a sinner if the very thing that identifies sin has faded away?

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in youunless, of course, you fail the test?

This is another text that is meaningless in your sin-ario. For those who believe in once saved, always saved, this type of examination should be superfluous and unnecessary. But not only does Paul admonish followers of Christ to test themselves to see if they are actually true disciples of Christ, he furthermore indicates it is possible to "FAIL THE TEST." How can that be? How do you suppose your self examination is going to reveal that Christ Jesus is not in you (c.f. John 15:5)?

Gal3:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Under the Old Covenant He indicated that His followers were to love Him and that love was to be revealed in their manifestation of obedience to His revealed will:

Deuteronomy 11:1
Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always.

In keeping with His eternal consistency Jesus says, "If you love me, keep my commandments."

Attempting to dismiss all of God's revealed plurality of "commandS" throughout even the New Testament and redact it down to your highlighted singular command is not doing "what pleases Him."

You wouldn't know that these things are unloving if God did not reveal it to you. You wouldn't know that doing these things are sin if God had not revealed them to you. Paul says it very simply that he would not know what sin was if the law hadn't said, "You shall not covet" (a reference to one of the Ten Commandments). The same Ten Commandments that identify sin for Paul is the same Ten Commandments that identify sin for all people. If Jesus Christ is in you then you will not be transgressing this set of ten commands. If one is rejecting this set of ten simple, concise, profound and perfect precepts then they might want to consider their true condition in Paul's admonished self-exam.

I pray this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bob S,

John 3:16 doesn't say anything about keeping us from falling.

Sorry spark, it doesn't have to. Jesus tells us if we believe He promises us eternal life and He IS able to keep us from falling. The Holy Spirit Jesus gave us is our guide. I have never stated that if we turn our backs on Jesus we will still be saved. Know your facts and don't just assume.

I would think that you'd have that verse memorized by now.

Yes, you have the right to think what you want, but maybe it would be better if you didn't express here something about which you have no idea.

However, there is another passage that indicates that no one is compelled to sin and that with every temptation God provides a way to keep us from falling:
You mean when we do sin Jesus is the way out. Being tempted is not sinning.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

I wonder why people cannot let the Word of God read in its normative sense.

Right, I wonder too. I have seen your rendition of 1Cor3:6-11 where you denied verse 7 meant the ten commandments. You claimed it was Josua's writings. I am sure you have provided many more instances. I like the old adage that says the skillet calling the kettle black and when pointing a finger, you have three pointing back.

When you say "Absolutely" icy from your following misuse of Scripture that your affirmation has little to do with the law that you actually disavow. Your position is redactive and subtractive. You affirm but your affirmation is in reality a denial.

I am sorry that you are so intent to put me down. I am so sorry you didn't recognize my further explanation of the fact that I, too, believe when we sin it is lawlessness. John wrote it and I believe it. Because you have not been willing to read further than verse 4 in 1Jn 3, your preconceived belief is that John was referring to the old covenant laws given to Israel or at least some of them. We are fortunate to have John explain what law he referred to in verse 4. I will copy and paste it for you.

John 15 starting with verse 9 is the command Jesus gave us. It is unlike any command ever given in that Jesus is telling us to love others like He loves us. Verse 13 illustrates how great a love we are to have for our fellow man. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. Jesus kept the commands God gave to Israel (the ones that would concern him) and He asks you and me to keep the commands He gave us. In other words, Jesus kept the Sabbaths, weekly and yearly, like God gave them to Israel. His command for us is to love. He didn't tell us to observe rituals God gave to Israel. So, your interpretation of verse 4 is false according to John.

Inherent in the above text is a biblical definition of sin: "Sin is lawlessness." Or as other translations put it: "Sin is the transgression of the law." For those who believe that the law is abolished, or obsolete (rather than the agreement/covenant being obsolete) this text is meaningless. There is no longer any sin for anyone. If the law is abolished for you then it's abolished for everyone. The whole world would be sinless in this sin-ario. Thus NO ONE would be in need of a Savior.
Hmmmm! A word that is beyond my comprehension (sin-ario). I have not heard one Christian ever say there is no longer any sin. That, I believe, is a figment of your and some other's imagination. I believe it is a downright lie. As I explained above, sin IS transgression of the law. What is openly a sin is people telling new covenant believers that we are lawless. Enough said.

But that's not what the text above says, now is it? "No one who LIVES IN HIM keeps on sinning." If the law is eradicated then it wouldn't matter, it shouldn't matter whether we're living "IN HIM" to determine whether we are or are not sinning. Sin would "absolutely" be a thing of the past. Why is it you still acknowledge yourself as a sinner if the very thing that identifies sin has faded away?
I believe it is wrong to try to teach others that we all have to obey ritual laws such as tithing, clean and unclean, Sabbaths or any other ritual law that God gave Israel. Those were given only to the nation of Israel

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in youunless, of course, you fail the test?

This is another text that is meaningless in your sin-ario. For those who believe in once saved, always saved, this type of examination should be superfluous and unnecessary. But not only does Paul admonish followers of Christ to test themselves to see if they are actually true disciples of Christ, he furthermore indicates it is possible to "FAIL THE TEST." How can that be? How do you suppose your self examination is going to reveal that Christ Jesus is not in you (c.f. John 15:5)?
Again, you have used a word that has no meaning to me (sin-ario). I have shown you the test many times and you ignore the scripture I provide as proof. 1Jn 3:19-24, look it up.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Under the Old Covenant He indicated that His followers were to love Him and that love was to be revealed in their manifestation of obedience to His revealed will:
Jn13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Matt 24:44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Deuteronomy 11:1

Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always.

In keeping with His eternal consistency Jesus says, "If you love me, keep my commandments."

Attempting to dismiss all of God's revealed plurality of "commandS" throughout even the New Testament and redact it down to your highlighted singular command is not doing "what pleases Him."
Speaking of redacting, those who teach we must observe the Sabbath of the old covenant and redact most all of the other ritual commands God gave only to Israel would not be pleasing Him if indeed we were under the old covenant Law.

You wouldn't know that these things are unloving if God did not reveal it to you. You wouldn't know that doing these things are sin if God had not revealed them to you. Paul says it very simply that he would not know what sin was if the law hadn't said, "You shall not covet" (a reference to one of the Ten Commandments). The same Ten Commandments that identify sin for Paul is the same Ten Commandments that identify sin for all people. If Jesus Christ is in you then you will not be transgressing this set of ten commands. If one is rejecting this set of ten simple, concise, profound and perfect precepts then they might want to consider their true condition in Paul's admonished self-exam.
Except because God has revealed to us that loving others as Jesus loves us and Jesus giving us the Holy Spirit as our guide reveals to us it is wrong to covet, wrong to steal or to any act that in any way harms our fellow man. Do you really believe the old covenant ten commandments revealed all the ways we could do ill to God and our fellow man? If you do then there is nothing I can write to be of help.

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 10:13 does not say "when we do sin Jesus is the way out"

"When you are Tempted" is not the same as "when you sin"

Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bob S said:
Icyspark said:
John 3:16 doesn't say anything about keeping us from falling.
Sorry spark, it doesn't have to. Jesus tells us if we believe He promises us eternal life and He IS able to keep us from falling. The Holy Spirit Jesus gave us is our guide. I have never stated that if we turn our backs on Jesus we will still be saved. Know your facts and don't just assume.

Hi Bob S,

This right here is the problem. This is a post modern mindset in which a person chooses to believe their own "truth". In your case you reference Scripture but said Scripture has nothing directly to do with the assertion you make.

Yes, you have the right to think what you want, but maybe it would be better if you didn't express here something about which you have no idea.

Thank you for giving me your permission to express my opinion. Unfortunately (for you) my opinion is based on what the Scriptures actually say, versus a post modern mindset in which the individual gets to determine what is their own "truth".

I likewise believe that temptation is not sin. However, I believe your position doesn't embrace the actual position of 1 Corinthians 10:13. Jesus is the way out in that He PROVIDES "a way out." The provision to avoid the temptation and ultimately the sin is left for us to embrace or deny. Satan cannot compel us to sin and neither does Jesus compel us to remain faithful. The decision is ours to make. If the temptation is behind door #1, Jesus then provides door #2 as a way to avoid the temptation. No one is irresistibly compelled to open door #1 and if indeed Jesus Christ is in them then they will indeed choose door #2. If they choose door #1 then they are revealing that Jesus Christ is NOT in them and that they have failed the test.

Right, I wonder too. I have seen your rendition of 1Cor3:6-11 where you denied verse 7 meant the ten commandments. You claimed it was Josua's writings. I am sure you have provided many more instances. I like the old adage that says the skillet calling the kettle black and when pointing a finger, you have three pointing back.

First of all, if you're going to make a very specific accusation about something which I've supposedly said then it would behoove you to supply actual reference to something which confirms your accusation (I'm thinking I never said any such thing).

Which brings us to point number 2. If you're going to make a very specific accusation you might want to make sure your supplied text reference has something remotely to do with said accusation:

1 Corinthians 3:6-11
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

So, according to you, verse 7 has to do with the Ten Commandments? :flushed:

Try again.

I am sorry that you are so intent to put me down. I am so sorry you didn't recognize my further explanation of the fact that I, too, believe when we sin it is lawlessness. John wrote it and I believe it. Because you have not been willing to read further than verse 4 in 1Jn 3, your preconceived belief is that John was referring to the old covenant laws given to Israel or at least some of them. We are fortunate to have John explain what law he referred to in verse 4. I will copy and paste it for you.

What you appear to be forgetting is that I know you and I know what you embrace and teach. I know your tendency is to either redact the Scriptures to remove those portions which don't agree with your preconceived ideas; or you add to the Scriptures things that are not there in order buttress your unbiblical beliefs. In this case you're attempting to use redaction to limit the plurality of God's commandments down to a nebulous belief and love. What I recall about you is that one time you shared a very enlightening post in which someone counted all the "commandments" of the New Testament (I can supply evidence for this if you doubt my contention). I think it added up to 1043 commandments. But in your current redactive mindset you appear to be in the mood to deny all these other commandments and focus on the nebulous? That would certainly be in keeping with a post modern, moral relativistic mindset.

John 15 starting with verse 9 is the command Jesus gave us. It is unlike any command ever given in that Jesus is telling us to love others like He loves us. Verse 13 illustrates how great a love we are to have for our fellow man. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. Jesus kept the commands God gave to Israel (the ones that would concern him) and He asks you and me to keep the commands He gave us. In other words, Jesus kept the Sabbaths, weekly and yearly, like God gave them to Israel. His command for us is to love. He didn't tell us to observe rituals God gave to Israel. So, your interpretation of verse 4 is false according to John.

Since Jesus was born human and He was "born under the law," He perfectly obeyed ALL the law. If He disobeyed any of the law He was "born under" then he wouldn't be, he couldn't be the Savior.

Hmmmm! A word that is beyond my comprehension (sin-ario). I have not heard one Christian ever say there is no longer any sin. That, I believe, is a figment of your and some other's imagination. I believe it is a downright lie. As I explained above, sin IS transgression of the law. What is openly a sin is people telling new covenant believers that we are lawless. Enough said.

Ok, let's hear what your current position on what the law embraces. From what icy it appears you've redacted down your previous acknowledgement that the New Testament contains 1043 commandments down to your nebulous post modern version of two. Is that correct?

I believe it is wrong to try to teach others that we all have to obey ritual laws such as tithing, clean and unclean, Sabbaths or any other ritual law that God gave Israel. Those were given only to the nation of Israel

On this thread we are not examining these other issues. What we are attempting to examine is the fact that--with regard to the Sabbath--these supposedly "ritual laws ... given only to the nation of Israel" were actually and factually for all people and for all this Earth's history. The opening post addresses this and I don't believe a single critic on this thread has attempted to address any of the ten reasons supplied. Only the first two reasons for why I'm a sabbatarian are based on the Old Testament. The other eight reasons are from a new covenant context. Why is it that you and none of the other critics have even attempted to respond to any of these reasons? Let's see if you're willing to engage with what the Bible says and step away from post modern method of reading into the Scriptures your own "truth".
  1. Is it wrong or right to follow the example of Jesus (reason #3)?
  2. Is it wrong or right for a Christian to follow the example of the disciples (reason #4)?
  3. Is it wrong or right to follow the example of the apostle Paul (reason #5)?
  4. Is it wrong or right to keep the Sabbath just as Gentiles wanted to (reason #6)?

Again, you have used a word that has no meaning to me (sin-ario). I have shown you the test many times and you ignore the scripture I provide as proof. 1Jn 3:19-24, look it up.

Your version of this text is to redact it down from the 1043 NT commandments which you previously acknowledged to just the two which you seem to currently affirm. So tell us, what do you do with the other 1041 NT commandments?

Jn13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Matt 24:44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Speaking of redacting, those who teach we must observe the Sabbath of the old covenant and redact most all of the other ritual commands God gave only to Israel would not be pleasing Him if indeed we were under the old covenant Law.

Except because God has revealed to us that loving others as Jesus loves us and Jesus giving us the Holy Spirit as our guide reveals to us it is wrong to covet, wrong to steal or to any act that in any way harms our fellow man. Do you really believe the old covenant ten commandments revealed all the ways we could do ill to God and our fellow man? If you do then there is nothing I can write to be of help.

I appreciate that you took the time to go point-for-point with my previous post. I think that is an improvement from how you've generally responded to me in the past. Unfortunately you continue to reject vast portions of Scripture which don't agree with the paradigm you've embraced. Read and accept what the Scriptures SAY instead of reading into them what you WANT them to say. Ask God for wisdom. He has promised to give it to you.

I pray this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bob S,

This right here is the problem. This is a post modern mindset in which a person chooses to believe their own "truth". In your case you reference Scripture but said Scripture has nothing directly to do with the assertion you make.
Sorry spark, it is your assumption that I believe once saved always saved. Jn 3:16 is one of many new covenant promises we all should claim. It is your belief system that claims we have to keep the Sabbath of the old covenant in order to be saved. There is not one word in all scripture that makes that claim. Abraham was not saved because he kept laws and neither were the Israelites. If any of them are lost it is because they lost their faith.

Thank you for giving me your permission to express my opinion.
You are welcome. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what your opinion is we still have to find the real truth from scripture and your opinion doesn't match with scripture.

Unfortunately (for you) my opinion is based on what the Scriptures actually say,
Ask any denomination and they will spout the same rhetoric.

versus a post modern mindset in which the individual gets to determine what is their own "truth".
Post modern?? Whatever that means. At least I don't take my cue from one of many 19th century prophets.

I likewise believe that temptation is not sin. However, I believe your position doesn't embrace the actual position of 1 Corinthians 10:13.
There you go again, making an opinion that you have no right to make.

Jesus is the way out in that He PROVIDES "a way out." The provision to avoid the temptation and ultimately the sin is left for us to embrace or deny. Satan cannot compel us to sin and neither does Jesus compel us to remain faithful.
I wrote: "You mean when we do sin Jesus is the way out. Being tempted is not sinning." It seems like you either deny what I write or you have to differ in some way. You just cannot leave well enough alone. We will never, on this sinful Earth, come to the place where we can "avoid" temptation. It is there and we have to deal with it. I am thankful for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the gift that Jesus gave each of us. Read 2Cor3: 6-11.

The decision is ours to make. If the temptation is behind door #1, Jesus then provides door #2 as a way to avoid the temptation.
Could you provide some scripture to prove your point?

No one is irresistibly compelled to open door #1 and if indeed Jesus Christ is in them then they will indeed choose door #2. If they choose door #1 then they are revealing that Jesus Christ is NOT in them and that they have failed the test.
WOW! Where did you get that belief? Do you ever choose door #1? If you never have then you really do not need Jesus saving gift. If that is true then according to your prophet you are ready for translation.

First of all, if you're going to make a very specific accusation about something which I've supposedly said then it would behoove you to supply actual reference to something which confirms your accusation (I'm thinking I never said any such thing).
I will never forget it. It was on another forum where we debated the same issues we are debating today. The forum is no longer available. Josh8:30 Then Joshua built on Mount Ebal an altar to the Lord, the God of Israel, 31 as Moses the servant of the Lord had commanded the Israelites. He built it according to what is written in the Book of the Law of Moses—an altar of uncut stones, on which no iron tool had been used. On it they offered to the Lord burnt offerings and sacrificed fellowship offerings. 32 There, in the presence of the Israelites, Joshua wrote on stones a copy of the law of Moses. 33 All the Israelites, with their elders, officials and judges, were standing on both sides of the ark of the covenant of the Lord, facing the Levitical priests who carried it. Both the foreigners living among them and the native-born were there. Half of the people stood in front of Mount Gerizim and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, as Moses the servant of the Lord had formerly commanded when he gave instructions to bless the people of Israel. That was your answer to 2Cor3:7

Which brings us to point number 2. If you're going to make a very specific accusation you might want to make sure your supplied text reference has something remotely to do with said accusation:
I certainly would if I could. By the way it was not an accusation, it was the truth. I would ask you to do the same.

1 Corinthians 3:6-11
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

So, according to you, verse 7 has to do with the Ten Commandments? :flushed:
Sorry spark, I bet you realized I made a mistake and wrote "1" instead of "2". But you just had to make an issue out of it didn't you?

Try again.
No need, you know what I meant.

What you appear to be forgetting is that I know you and I know what you embrace and teach. I know your tendency is to either redact the Scriptures to remove those portions which don't agree with your preconceived ideas; or you add to the Scriptures things that are not there in order buttress your unbiblical beliefs.
Now you have made an accusation so fill in the blanks. I embrace the New Covenant. The old covenant was never given to gentiles. It was given to one nation and ended at Calvery. Be assured I know what you teach.

In this case you're attempting to use redaction to limit the plurality of God's commandments down to a nebulous belief and love.
Not attempting spark, only doing what Jesus did. Only doing what is taught in the New Testament.

What I recall about you is that one time you shared a very enlightening post in which someone counted all the "commandments" of the New Testament (I can supply evidence for this if you doubt my contention). I think it added up to 1043 commandments. But in your current redactive mindset you appear to be in the mood to deny all these other commandments and focus on the nebulous? That would certainly be in keeping with a post modern, moral relativistic mindset.
Postmodern? Get real with all the big phrases. Love is the pinnacle of the 1043 commandments found in the New Covenant. Love is what our Savior asks of every living human. Love is the greatest theme in all of God's Holy Writ.

1Cor13: If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Jude1:21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
Gal5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. Yep, the 1043 New Covenant laws according to Gal 5:13-15 are summed up with one word, LOVE.

Since Jesus was born human and He was "born under the law," He perfectly obeyed ALL the law. If He disobeyed any of the law He was "born under" then he wouldn't be, he couldn't be the Savior.
My statement was: John 15 starting with verse 9 is the command Jesus gave us. It is unlike any command ever given in that Jesus is telling us to love others like He loves us. Verse 13 illustrates how great a love we are to have for our fellow man. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. Jesus kept the commands God gave to Israel (the ones that would concern him) and He asks you and me to keep the commands He gave us. In other words, Jesus kept the Sabbaths, weekly and yearly, like God gave them to Israel. His command for us is to love. He didn't tell us to observe rituals God gave to Israel. So, your interpretation of verse 4 is false according to John.
Your answer was: "Since Jesus was born human and He was "born under the law," He perfectly obeyed ALL the law. If He disobeyed any of the law He was "born under" then he wouldn't be, he couldn't be the Savior." You skirted the issue. How about addressing it.

Ok, let's hear what your current position on what the law embraces. From what icy it appears you've redacted down your previous acknowledgement that the New Testament contains 1043 commandments down to your nebulous post modern version of two. Is that correct?
You have that right. John wrote it and I believe it. I am of the truth if I believe the ones God sent to us, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, and love others as Jesus loves us. It isn't the rituals of the old covenant that will get us eternal life. I know the prophet, in her books, teaches that if we don't keep the ritual Sabbath of the old covenant that was given to only Israel, we will not receive our eternal reward. Paul certainly didn't teach such a thing. Read Gal3 and especially this verse: For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law. The prophet would have us relying on our works.

But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth. {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4}

No one who disregards the fourth commandment, after becoming enlightened in regard to the claims of the Sabbath, can be held guiltless in the sight of God. {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 14}

All will be judged according to the light that has shone upon them. If they have light upon the Sabbath, they cannot be saved in rejecting that light.{HS 234.3}

As persons become convinced from the Scriptures that the claims of the fourth commandment are still binding, the question is often raised, Is it necessary in order to secure salvation that we keep the Sabbath? This is a question of grave importance. If the light has shone from the word of God, if the message has been presented to men, as it was to Pharaoh, and they refuse to heed that message, if they reject the light, they refuse to obey God, and cannot be saved in their disobedience. {RH, January 5, 1886 par. 2}

On this thread we are not examining these other issues.
Well, they certainly should be examined.

What we are attempting to examine is the fact that--with regard to the Sabbath--these supposedly "ritual laws ... given only to the nation of Israel" were actually and factually for all people and for all this Earth's history.
So, Are you telling me Moses was wrong when he announced in Deut5 the folllowing?
5 Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3 It was not with our ancestors that the Lord made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today. If the covenant which contained the ten commandments and especially the fourth one was given to all nations on Earth, why is it that most of all the inhabitants now and in the past have never heard of such a thing? Why didn't God include all the gentiles in His covenant. God certainly knew that His bunch of degenerates would not send people to all the other nations. Jesus came to save all of His children and He never told anyone that their salvation hinged on keeping ritual days nor did He teach the disciples to spread the Sabath to all nations. Care to change your "factually"
Continued

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Icyspark wrote:
The opening post addresses this and I don't believe a single critic on this thread has attempted to address any of the ten reasons supplied. Only the first two reasons for why I'm a sabbatarian are based on the Old Testament. The other eight reasons are from a new covenant context. Why is it that you and none of the other critics have even attempted to respond to any of these reasons? Let's see if you're willing to engage with what the Bible says and step away from post modern method of reading into the Scriptures your own "truth".
The word is postmodern and post means before, so why are you using such a term to identify us critics?
Is it wrong or right to follow the example of Jesus (reason #3)?
No wonder no one has answered such flawed questions. Jesus wore a robe presumably with tassels on four corners. He would not have cut His sideburns. He faithfully would have kept all of the Holy days God gave to Israel. He spent three years healing, debating and many other things not recorded. He didn't own a home. He didn't marry and raise a family. He fasted for forty days and ended His life for all humanity. Those are a few examples and I ask you if it is right and are you setting an example?

Is it wrong or right for a Christian to follow the example of the disciples
Flawed question number 2. Peter denied Jesus 3 times, cut the ear off of someone.
Thomas doubted Jesus and Judas betrayed Jesus. All that was wrong, so I would answer they were wrong examples. The disciples loved Jesus, that was right and is a good example.

Of course you are using the questions to get us to say it is right so that you can then tell us that all of those kept the Sabbath. I assume they all kept the Sabbath while it was their law. Pau, on the other hand, went into the Synagogue, but for the reason to spread the Good News. Scripture never reveals that he did it to honor the now defunct old covenant law.

Is it wrong or right to keep the Sabbath just as Gentiles wanted to
What do you mean "wanted to"? Scripture does not say they wanted to. The fact is that history tells us just the opposite. Sunday became the day they gathered for communion together.
Your version of this text is to redact it down from the 1043 NT commandments which you previously acknowledged to just the two which you seem to currently affirm. So tell us, what do you do with the other 1041 NT commandments?
Love includes all of the 1043. If we love we will not bear false witness, we will not covet, we will not steal, etc. Paul has it right in his letter to the Galatians: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I appreciate that you took the time to go point-for-point with my previous post.
Thanks, I wish you would do the same instead of omitting much of what I write'

I think that is an improvement from how you've generally responded to me in the past.
Live and learn. Your responses could use some "improvement" also.

Unfortunately you continue to reject vast portions of Scripture which don't agree with the paradigm you've embraced.
My thoughts to you too.

Read and accept what the Scriptures SAY instead of reading into them what you WANT them to say.
Great advice spark. My sentiments to you too.

Ask God for wisdom. He has promised to give it to you.
"You"! How about "us" or are you the final word?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way of escape so that you can endure it.

Then what is your way out?

We have been freed from slavery to sinning according to Romans 6. The result is as Rom 8:4-9 states - only the lost, only the unsaved person lives in the slavery described as "they do not submit to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they"

• Agree
Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way of escape so that you can endure it.

We have been freed from slavery to sinning according to Romans 6. The result is as Rom 8:4-9 states - only the lost, only the unsaved person lives in the slavery described as "they do not submit to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they"

Why did Paul have to correct Peter in the Book of Galatians, if Peter was perfect?

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Context is always the key...

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why did Paul have to correct Peter in the Book of Galatians, if Peter was perfect?

Why should we have to delete the word of God in 1 Cor 10 -- if we find that Peter was not perfect in Gal 2.???

As Paul points out in Rom 8 -- we need not live the life of the unsaved - enslaved to sinning.

Rom 8:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Upvote 0