USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament is the promises in the Old Testament fulfilled.

Jesus fulfilled the law and the prophets.

Jesus did not fulfill part of the law, Jesus fulfilled the entire narration of the law. But especially the ten commandments. Jesus spoke the truth and never lied. Jesus owned the entire universe and never coveted. Jesus never took His Father's name in vain, Jesus glorified and loved His Father deeply. Jesus granted eternal life and never murdered anyone. E.t.c.
Jesus did not obey, so we don’t have to as shown throughout the New Covenant and NT.

Jesus is our example to follow:

1 Peter 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

22 “Who committed no sin,
Nor was deceit found in His mouth”;

Fulfillment of the law means “to fill full” not destroy, like Jesus said Matthew 5:17. Jesus said we should not break the least of the commandments Matthew 5:19

Last edited:
Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament is the promises in the Old Testament fulfilled.

As much as I like true-isms and over-simplification...

Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory before the cross even happens according to Matt 17.
Elijah and Enoch are taken directly to heaven without dying - according to Heb 11 and 2 Kings 2.

Jesus fulfilled the predictions made in the law and the prophets regarding the Messiah and also complied perfectly with His Commandments that He gave at Sinai (as Heb 8 points out - those where Christ's commandments spoken at Sinai).

Jesus did not fulfill merely part of the law - but He did not open the flood gates to "taking God's name in vain".

Because complying with the imperatives in God's Word - does not "delete them" any more than going the speed limit - "deletes the speed limit".

Many people would say that I am merely stating the Obvious.

Certainly that is true of those who affirm all TEN of the TEN Commandments as we see it in Section 19 of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" as C.H. Spurgeon framed it. And as we see in Section 19 of the "Westminster Confession of Faith" as well.

How nice that certain Bible basics are so obvious that BOTH sides admit to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where it's written that followers of Jesus are to worship YHVH on the sabbath, and keep the sabbath.

I really like the fact that you are making your case from scripture. Scripture (God's Word) is where we find that His Sabbath commandment is included in His TEN commandments and that His Sabbath was "made for mankind" Mark 2:27 (as opposed to "made for just the Jews") when both mankind and the Sabbath were made according to Ex 20:11 and Gen 2:1-3.

A Bible detail so obvious that Bible scholarship on both sides of this topic agree that all TEN continue and are included in the Law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant.

We showed you that in Heb 4 "There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath for the people of God"

We showed you that in Acts 18:4 where "Every Sabbath" Paul and those who accepted his teaching were meeting and preaching the Gospel ... this includes both gentiles and Jews in that case.

We showed you that in Is 66:23 where for all eternity after the cross - the saints of all ages in the New Earth meet for worship "from Sabbath to Sabbath".

As I stated before, according to Romans 14 speaking of the Bible approved annual holy days.,

Rom 14:5 One man observes one day above another while another man observes them all... He who observes the day observes it for the Lord.

The word "Alike" is inserted as the Bible translators all admit by placing it in italics.

Not one single reference in Rom 14 to the word "Sabbath".

To me, every day is alike.

You have free will - you can believe anything you wish. I prefer the Bible.

I further see in Colossians 2:16-23

Col 2:16-23 WEB 16 Let no one therefore judge you in eating, or in drinking, or with respect to a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day, 17 which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ’s.

The "shadow" sabbaths of Lev 23 - the annual holy days with their animal sacrifices were shadows (predictions) of the sacrifice of Christ. By contrast Gen 2:1-3 and Ex 20:11 point to the Sabbath BEFORE any animal sacrifices and Is 66:23 points to the Sabbath for all eternity in the New Earth - with no animal sacrifices.

18 Let no one rob you of your prize by self-abasement and worshiping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Col 2 is not condemning scripture -- it is condemning "making stuff up"as we see in vs 18

Col 2: 4 I say this so that no one will deceive you with persuasive arguments....8 See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the elementary principles of the world, rather than in accordance with Christ.

20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of man? 23 These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence

The condemnation there is against "traditions of men" ... "Commandments and Teachings of men" just as we see in Mark 7:6-13 -- and not a condemnation of God's Word.

I see in Colossians 3:1-4, we're risen with Christ. We've died, and our lives are hid with God,

and 1 John 2: makes it very clear
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever follows His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says that he remains in Him ought, himself also, walk just as He walked.

1 John 5:3 "This IS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments"
Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Where "the first commandment with a promise" in that still-valid-unit of TEN is "honor your father and mother" as Paul points out in Eph 6:2

We further read in Romans 7 that we are dead to the law that is the moral law of God that defines what sin is - having died the death that the moral law of God demands of the sinner through Christ. Such that now we are under the NEW Covenant Jer 31:31-34 Heb 8:6-12 having the LAW of God written on the heart and mind - instead of being abolished. In fact we "Establish the Law" Rom 3:31 that without Christ "condemns the whole world" Rom 3:19-20

Rom 7:
Or do you not know, brothers and sisters (for I am speaking to those who know the Law), that the Law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband as long as he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is alive she gives herself to another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress if she gives herself to another man.

4 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you also were put to death in regard to the Law through the body of Christ

"The wages of SIN is death" we needed to be put to death according to the Law.

", so that you might belong to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were brought to light by the Law, were at work in the parts of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Rom 6:
What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 Far from it! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life. ...

10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all time; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 So you too, consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

12 Therefore sin is not to reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the parts of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those who are alive from the dead, and your body’s parts as instruments of righteousness for God.

1 John 3:4 "sin IS transgression of the LAW"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The verse you quoted does not mention the ten commandments.

In fact we establish the LAW

More Bible please - less supposition

Rom 7:
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? Far from it! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
ISteveB said:
I further see in Colossians 2:16-23

Col 2 is not condemning scripture -- it is condemning "making stuff up"as we see in vs 18

Col 2: 4 I say this so that no one will deceive you with persuasive arguments....8 See to it that there is no one who takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception in accordance with human tradition, in accordance with the elementary principles of the world, rather than in accordance with Christ.

20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of man? 23 These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and humility and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence

The condemnation there is against "traditions of men" ... "Commandments and Teachings of men" just as we see in Mark 7:6-13 -- and not a condemnation of God's Word.

Which ends on a reference to Mark 7 where the "making stuff up" tradition is condemned by Christ just as Paul did in Col 2.

Mark 7:7 And in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother, is certainly to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’ 12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Notice how it compares to Col 2

20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of man? 23 These are matters which do have the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion an

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God tells us exactly how to apply this love:

IF you love Me, keep MY commandments John 14:15.

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His loveJohn 15:10

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

And right in the middle of the commandments God wrote:

but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

God tests everyone, it’s one thing to say you love God, but its another to prove it. That’s why we are taught to be doers of the Word and not just hearers.

God bless!
Yep.

What is the commandment of Jesus to his followers?

Love one another as I have loved you.
John 13:35.

We further read in Romans 8:4 that the only way to keep the ordinance of the law is to walk in the Spirit.

Paul further tells us in Romans 13:8-10 that the law is fulfilled by loving our neighbor.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yep.

We further read in Romans 8:4 that the only way to keep the ordinance of the law is to walk in the Spirit.

Paul further tells us in Romans 13:8-10 that the law is fulfilled by loving our neighbor.

Someone asked Jesus this question and this is the answer Jesus gave, He quoted directly from the Ten Commandments:

Matthew 19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Love is the fulfillment of the commandments. If you love your neighbor, you show that through keeping commandments 5-10 personally written by the finger of God. We show love to God when we obey commandments 1-4. Found Exodus 20, now written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant Hebrews 8:10, Jer 31:33

When we break these commandments, we are no longer showing love to God. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6 so it should be easy to see why love fulfills our moral duty to obey the commandments of God.

Romans 8:4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

The Spirit is given according to Jesus to help us obey the commandments John 14:15-18 and is given to those who obey Acts 5:32 so if we are walking in the Spirit, we will be obeying the laws of God. Sin is defined by breaking the law of God 1 John 3:4 Sin is not from God but of the devil 1 John 3:8 so you cannot walk in the Spirit by disobeying the law, that spirit is not coming from God.

The good news is we all have time to repent and turn from sin and we have an Advocate with Jesus who is just and will forgive us of our sin, but true repentance means being truly sorry and wanting to turn from sin and walk in obedience to God.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yep.

Hi ISteveB,

This is very strange to me. It's like you just redacted everything else Jesus commanded. You still haven't addressed how you can know what love is. The fact is that you can't know what love is if you're redacting out those portions of the Bible that address this. Love isn't left open to interpretation.

God bless.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Someone asked Jesus this question and this is the answer Jesus gave, He quoted directly from the Ten Commandments:

Matthew 19:17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Love is the fulfillment of the commandments.

True.

Notice that Love does no delete the command "do not take God's name in vain" it fulfills it.

Also notice Jesus does not list "do not take God's name in vain" in His list in Matt 19. He only deals with the commandments related to "Love our neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18. He does not even list "Love God with all your heart" at all in Matt 19 because that is not the part He is addressing.

In addition all of his quotes are exclusively from the "Law of Moses" in Matt 19.

And those same "Law of Moses" commands are affirmed by Paul in Rom 13.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Love is the fulfillment of the commandments. If you love your neighbor, you show that through keeping commandments 5-10 personally written by the finger of God. We show love to God when we obey commandments 1-4. Found Exodus 20, now written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant Hebrews 8:10, Jer 31:33

When we break these commandments, we are no longer showing love to God. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6 so it should be easy to see why love fulfills our moral duty to obey the commandments of God.

Romans 8:4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

The Spirit is given according to Jesus to help us obey the commandments John 14:15-18 and is given to those who obey Acts 5:32 so if we are walking in the Spirit, we will be obeying the laws of God. Sin is defined by breaking the law of God 1 John 3:4 Sin is not from God but of the devil 1 John 3:8 so you cannot walk in the Spirit by disobeying the law, that spirit is not coming from God.

The good news is we all have time to repent and turn from sin and we have an Advocate with Jesus who is just and will forgive us of our sin, but true repentance means being truly sorry and wanting to turn from sin and walk in obedience to God.

God bless
Curious how Jesus conveniently skipped the sabbath.

So... you keep focusing on a single day.
I'm good with 7 days a week of rest in Christ.

This allows me to enjoy every single day celebrating the resurrection of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

and "Do not take God's name in vain"???

What He did not skip was

"The Sabbath was made FOR MANKIND" Mark 2:27 instead of saying "the Sabbath was made just for the Jews"

The Gospels also tell us that Jesus regularly stood up in the synagogue on Sabbath to read scripture.

And we are told that He never sinned -- which means he never broke the Law of God since in the NT "Sin IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi ISteveB,

This is very strange to me. It's like you just redacted everything else Jesus commanded. You still haven't addressed how you can know what love is. The fact is that you can't know what love is if you're redacting out those portions of the Bible that address this. Love isn't left open to interpretation.

God bless.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark
Nope.
I simply focus on what Jesus said regarding his giving us rest. Matthew 11:28-30.

This entire thread strikes me as being so narrowly focused on resting on one single day of the week, that the OP has redacted what Jesus said about the sabbath.

The sabbath was made for the man.

This entire op strikes me as having it the other way around.

You've turned it into man being made for the sabbath.

So, thank you, but I'm quite satisfied with celebrating the sabbath rest of Jesus 7 days a week.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nope.
I simply focus on what Jesus said regarding his giving us rest.

amen!

"come to ME and I will give you rest" - Matt 11

And for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

James 2 teaches us that to break one of God's commandments "is to break them all". Which is not a very good way to say "break whichever one you would like"

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and "Do not take God's name in vain"???

What He did not skip was

"The Sabbath was made FOR MANKIND" Mark 2:27 instead of saying "the Sabbath was made just for the Jews"

The Gospels also tell us that Jesus regularly stood up in the synagogue on Sabbath to read scripture.

And we are told that He never sinned -- which means he never broke the Law of God since in the NT "Sin IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4
Well then.
Let me know if you want to come stone me for celebrating the sabbath 7 days a week instead of just one day.
Admittedly I think it'd be easier for you if you stood off a half mile or so and shot me using a sniper rifle. This would indeed hide you from being discovered.
Well.... by man anyway.
Please let me know if you want the city I live in so you can track me down to fulfill your duty of killing sabbath breakers.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
amen!

"come to ME and I will give you rest" - Matt 11

And for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

James 2 teaches us that to break one of God's commandments "is to break them all". Which is not a very good way to say "break whichever one you would like"
Ironically, that's what I previously stated.

Pity it was missed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

So... you keep focusing on a single day.
I'm good with 7 days a week of rest in Christ.

This allows me to enjoy every single day celebrating the resurrection of Jesus.
We should head the warning in Hebrews 4. You don't receive the rest in Christ by disobeying the Sabbath commandment.

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience

What did they disobey?
Ezekial 20:13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths.

Thats why Hebrews reminds us that there remains Sabbath keeping for the people of God, just like God ceased from work on the Sabbath from Creation. Hebrews 4:9-10 Genesis 2-1-3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We should head the warning in Hebrews 4. You don't receive the rest in Christ by disobeying the Sabbath commandment.

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience

What did they disobey?
Ezekial 20:13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths.

Thats why Hebrews reminds us that there remains Sabbath keeping for the people of God, just like God ceased from work on the Sabbath from Creation. Hebrews 4:9-10 Genesis 2-1-3

Hebrews 4 is exactly why I celebrate 7 days a week.

He's talking about the sabbath rest being a constant state of heart, soul and mind being at rest in Christ.

It's a sad thing to see you were never taught this.

Every single church I've been to taught it this way.

We work from a state of resting in Christ.

This is exactly why I previously quoted this Hebrews 4, Romans 14, and Colossians 2 passages.

Well, since you obviously believe that you are only allowed one day a week, and have to work your derriere off the other 6 days a week, and Paul clearly stated that we're not to fight about this in Romans 14, and then stated that we're to receive one another but not for the purpose of questionable argumentation in Romans 15, you keep telling yourself these things only refer to keeping the sabbath on one specific day.

I've been taught that to follow Jesus for the past several decades, we're to learn to follow him 7 days a week, and that in doing so, we're given his peace, and rest for our hearts and minds and souls.

As such, I will continue to enjoy the sabbath rest he gives us and deal with it accordingly.

Personally, from a biblical perspective, I'd say that you are cheating yourself, and losing out on the peace he gives us.

And to be clear about this....

I'm not yet retired. I work a regular schedule and take a day off to recuperate from my work week. But in my mind and being, I learn to take him up on a sabbath rest, 7 days a week.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God tells us exactly how to apply this love:

IF you love Me, keep MY commandments John 14:15.

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His loveJohn 15:10

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

And right in the middle of the commandments God wrote:

but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:6

God tests everyone, it’s one thing to say you love God, but its another to prove it. That’s why we are taught to be doers of the Word and not just hearers.

God bless!
Your choice of commandments is from an obsolete book of the law.

Jesus gave new commandments, under a new covenant, a new testament.

To put it simply.

You are taught that not telling a lie is obeying a commandment. Thus, your church teaches that by not telling a lie, you are overflowing with the love of God towards others.

Whereas, I am saying that love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, a gift from above. Divine, unconditional love, is enabled by God and we just exert that free gift of love.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Not telling a lie does not empower you to love others.

You have the wrong commandment set and thus your theology is corrupt.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4 is exactly why I celebrate 7 days a week.

He's talking about the sabbath rest being a constant state of heart, soul and mind being at rest in Christ.

It's a sad thing to see you were never taught this.

Every single church I've been to taught it this way.

We work from a state of resting in Christ.

This is exactly why I previously quoted this Hebrews 4, Romans 14, and Colossians 2 passages.

Well, since you obviously believe that you are only allowed one day a week, and have to work your derriere off the other 6 days a week, and Paul clearly stated that we're not to fight about this in Romans 14, and then stated that we're to receive one another but not for the purpose of questionable argumentation in Romans 15, you keep telling yourself these things only refer to keeping the sabbath on one specific day.

I've been taught that to follow Jesus for the past several decades, we're to learn to follow him 7 days a week, and that in doing so, we're given his peace, and rest for our hearts and minds and souls.

As such, I will continue to enjoy the sabbath rest he gives us and deal with it accordingly.

Personally, from a biblical perspective, I'd say that you are cheating yourself, and losing out on the peace he gives us.

And to be clear about this....

I'm not yet retired. I work a regular schedule and take a day off to recuperate from my work week. But in my mind and being, I learn to take him up on a sabbath rest, 7 days a week.

There is no scripture that Jesus is the Sabbath. I think it’s important to let scripture and in this case the personally written Word by God’s own finger define the Sabbath, which is not seven days a week.

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lordblessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

You seem to be mixing up the gospel rest when you obey the seventh day Sabbath, not disobey which is what Hebrews 4 is taking about. We are blessed when we obey not disobey and Isaiah 58:13-14 is another example.

I worship God every day, but that does not negate our moral obligation to obey the Sabbath commandment.

God bless

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no scripture that Jesus is the Sabbath. I think it’s important to let scripture and in this case the personally written Word by God’s own finger define the Sabbath, which is not seven days a week.

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lordblessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

You seem to be mixing up the gospel rest when you obey the seventh day Sabbath, not disobey which is what Hebrews 4 is taking about. We are blessed when we obey not disobey and Isaiah 58:13-14 is another example.

I worship God every day, but that does not negate our moral obligation to obey the Sabbath commandment.

God bless
Wow.

Do yourself a favor and do a word search for rest.

In fact, here.

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)

Furthermore, here's an article about the rest that we may enjoy by coming to Jesus and God.

"28+ Bible Verses about Stillness and Rest in God's Presence - One Thing Alone" 28+ Bible Verses about Stillness and Rest in God's Presence

I think the psalm that strikes me the most is 23.

YHVH is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in Green pastures and leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadows of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life.
There's a great book called- a shepherd looks at psalm 23. By Philip Keller.

I encourage you to get the book.

YHVH IS our rest.

Isaiah 30:15
Isa 30:15 WEB For thus said the Lord Yahweh, the Holy One of Israel, “You will be saved in returning and rest. Your strength will be in quietness and in confidence.” You refused,

Isaiah 32:17

Isa 32:17 WEB The work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and confidence forever.

Upvote 0