✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
OfficeBoss said:
I might be ok with the 10 commandments being everywhere so long as they also displayed the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I think christians would be ok with it too since they like to encourage alternate viewpoints, and leave it up to the people to decide.

Well, if the FSM gets to be up there then I demand equal space be provided for the GGBs of J. (Giant Green Blobs of Jupiter)

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No religious item should be displayed on government or public property by the government. The government is supposed to be secular, using the Constitution as it's basis, not the 10 Commandments. If a person or group wants to display it, that's fine, but the government should not.

On a personal level, believing the 10 Commandments is more important is absolutely fine. Not displaying them does not affect your belief one iota.

But, you shouldn't expect the government to treat your personal beliefs and religion differently than mine, my neighbor's, or Bob down the street. That's where bigotry and hypocracy start.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The American Legion here has war dead memorials in all the city parks. Since war is horrible should those be removed? There are donated items like this all the time. If every faith in a city wanted to donate something alone the same lines that is out of question simply because there is a religious nature to it? I realize the govenment isn't to promote religion but is it to stiffle it? If that's the case than any prayer, neutral or not should not be said before events including schools since they are gov. buildings. Shouldn't let kids where crosses either then. I think there is a middle point somewhere but right now it will not be reached. There is too much us v. them crap going on.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
NothingButTheBlood said:
The American Legion here has war dead memorials in all the city parks. Since war is horrible should those be removed? There are donated items like this all the time. If every faith in a city wanted to donate something alone the same lines that is out of question simply because there is a religious nature to it? I realize the govenment isn't to promote religion but is it to stiffle it?

Since when does not allowing a religious group to permentently commandeer a piece of government land for promotion of it's own religious ideas constitute stiffling religion???

If that's the case than any prayer, neutral or not should not be said before events including schools since they are gov. buildings.

You need to specify who is sponsoring the prayer. That is the key question.

Shouldn't let kids where crosses either then.

The above demonstrates a failure to understand the difference between private speech and government speech.

I think there is a middle point somewhere but right now it will not be reached. There is too much us v. them crap going on.

The key dividing line is government vs private speech.

When the government lends it's authority, such if it allows a plot of government land to be permanently commondeered to promote one religious point of view, then it becomes government speech.

Upvote 0

Sundragon2012

Seeking to know the Divine in all things
Jan 9, 2003
✟10,165.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, for those who really believe that the 10 commandments are so much more important to this country than the 10 Amendments...

The Bill of Rights allows you to have this conversation without an agent of the secret police tracking your conversations and imprisoning you if you get out of line. The 10 Commandments HAVE NO provision for freedom of speech or religion. Commandment 1 would see folks like me in prison in any culture that used these as the law of the land. Christofasicm anyone? This would be the equivalent of judeo-christian sharia law.

10 Commandments bah. The "Thou Shalt Not Murder" Commandment is covered by an individuals right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. In fact all of the necessary bases are covered by the 10 Amendments. We don't need the "I am the Lord thy God..." because well not all of us are Jewish or Christian.

Blasphemy...Coveting neighbors mules and wives...sabbath day...oh please. Though some of the rules are good, any outsider (read: non-christian) can see the fingerprint of a primitive theocratic culture that bears NO resemblance whatsoever to our own.

)o( Blessed Be,

Chris

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What does the Ten Commandments have to do with Christianity? There were no Christians when the Ten Commandments were given. Christians came along a thousand years later.

Can you be a Christian if you've never heard of the Ten Commandments? Yes, of course.

Can you be a Christian if you disobey one of the Ten Commandments, say the one commanding Saturday be kept holy? Of course you can. I know lots of Christians who break Sabbath laws all the time.

Ten Commandments = Judaism.

Christianity = Christ making Judaism no longer important, according to that Paul guy. See Galatians 3:25.

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
crazyfingers said:
How exactly does the assumption of the existence of a god makes something secular?

The 10 Commandments were never made in America, dude.

I'm just assuming that if the Christian God existed, 10Cs are what you can't do, 10As are what you can do.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The 10 Commandments were given to the PEOPLE by God. So:

10 Commandments = God's laws. No matter who happened to receive them.

As far as the New Testament goes, Jesus boiled then 10 down to 2 when asked. If everyone observed the 2, we'd be fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What does the Ten Commandments have to do with Christianity? There were no Christians when the Ten Commandments were given. Christians came along a thousand years later.

Can you be a Christian if you've never heard of the Ten Commandments? Yes, of course.

Can you be a Christian if you disobey one of the Ten Commandments, say the one commanding Saturday be kept holy? Of course you can. I know lots of Christians who break Sabbath laws all the time.

Christianity = Christ making Judaism no longer important, according to that Paul guy. See Galatians 3:25.

You dun gone and broke their dogma.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MichaelFJF said:
The 10 Commandments were given to the PEOPLE by God. So:

10 Commandments = God's laws. No matter who happened to receive them..

Ah, but Paul says they aren't important anymore.

Galatians 3:13, 25

Using your logic, God told THE PEOPLE to build an Ark, and take two of every animal inside. Have you built your Ark?

MichaelFJF said:
As far as the New Testament goes, Jesus boiled then 10 down to 2 when asked. If everyone observed the 2, we'd be fine.

Yes, we would. But those 2 didn't command us to post all ten in public places. One could also argue that, since Jesus taught that while still under the Law, that such teaching isn't part of Christianity, but Judaism, still. Or Kingdom Theology.

Upvote 0

colonelguppy

Apr 29, 2006
✟15,137.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Harpuia said:
Depends on how you look at things.

From a secular point of view:

Ten Commandments show what you CAN'T do.

Ten Amendments show what you CAN do.

NO NO NO

we need to get out of the mindset that the constitution allows us to do stuff. what it actually does is prevent the government from doing stuff. rights are not "given" to us by any government body.

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0