Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I am preaching on Matt 4, The temptation of Jesus tomorrow and I was pondering all the temptations that we may face on a daily bases.
I am more tempted by food than than anything and it is a real issue for me. {Gluttony} and also lust of the eyes such as Fishing and Hunting equipment, {Hey bass boats and new guns are lust too {Darn}
I am curious as some of the things that others are tempted by? and do you think they are equal in God's eyes? {I hear this said often}

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am preaching on Matt 4, The temptation of Jesus tomorrow and I was pondering all the temptations that we may face on a daily bases.
I am more tempted by food than than anything and it is a real issue for me. {Gluttony} and also lust of the eyes such as Fishing and Hunting equipment, {Hey bass boats and new guns are lust too {Darn}
I am curious as some of the things that others are tempted by? and do you think they are equal in God's eyes? {I hear this said often}

Chiefly from sloth, though I'm working on that (no other way works except having to-do list and schedules it seems, though it's hardest to keep it at the end of the day). Then one even bigger is overall reliance of media entertainment, distracting me from things like prayer times, etc.

I believe that temptations and sins are the same to God in the way that each time it's entirely of your will and you've seen a false good in something that only leads to death. I pay no mind to the outward consequences of this act of will such as murder, theft, lying, to me it is all equally a human failing, but it can be recovered from and ceased entirely.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Then one even bigger is overall reliance of media entertainment, distracting me from things like prayer times, etc.
Thank You, This problem I eliminated by stopping watching TV. I realized that everytime I turned it on, it was like watching Sodom and Gomorrah. One day it hit me like a bombshell and I switched it off and cancelled Netflix and I have been blessed with much more time to get into God's Word.
Now I come here and fellowship for enjoyment when I get bored.
47b20s0.gif

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
<staff Edit>
Believe it or not I used to be the same way. Now I am a pastor and love people with a pure deep love. I even serve as chaplain to jails and nursing homes because of that love.
Christ instilled this love into me at salvation. {I'm not saying you are not saved}
It is one of my gifts as well as encouragement, I will pray that you receive this love too.
People for the most part are all the same, Just seeking to fill a giant void in their hearts. Some are angry at the world because of it and some try to fill it with drugs and alcohol, some will shy away and seek solitude, but we all have that void inside us that in reality, can only be filled by the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I am so sorry you feel this way. God is not the author of confusion so I am wondering if this is because you have unforgiveness in your heart? I see you are being tried hard and if you wish to be a pastor and you are studying and letting God truly have your heart? Then satan will work overtime to make you miserable. Unfortunately most ministers don't make it past the 2nd year simply because the trials are so furious at times. Friend if it is God's will for you to produce fruit for the kingdom, Then you will. If God wants to use you as a pastor He will, NO matter where you live. Like Jonah, You can't hide from him :]

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

If I may be so bold, may I suggest that if you are teaching on the temptations of Jesus as recorded in Matthew 4, you stick to them and not digress into what others may or may not see as temptations.

I think they have some very important things to teach Christianity and help guide Christianity back onto the path Jesus taught throughout His ministry.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
If I may be so bold, may I suggest that if you are teaching on the temptations of Jesus as recorded in Matthew 4, you stick to them and not digress into what others may or may not see as temptations.

I think they have some very important things to teach Christianity and help guide Christianity back onto the path Jesus taught throughout His ministry.
Oh yes they do for sure, This thread is not so much for my message as it is about the many issues we collectively face. We are attacked in many areas and what may be tough for me? Is nothing to you? We each have our own problems and Christ died so we could be delivered from all of them. :]

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Oh yes they do for sure, This thread is not so much for my message as it is about the many issues we collectively face. We are attacked in many areas and what may be tough for me? Is nothing to you? We each have our own problems and Christ died so we could be delivered from all of them. :]

Okay.

For me, I don't view 'temptations' as threats or attacks. I view them as opportunities to learn and grow spiritually. That is, after all, why we are all here...to learn and grow. Without the opportunities this world provides to us, we would never have the chance to learn and grow spiritually.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
<staff Edit>
I'm sure that all reluctant messiahs feel the same way. Swimming upstream is fatiguing. I don't know how Jonathan Livingston Seagull ever did it. :sigh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Okay.

For me, I don't view 'temptations' as threats or attacks. I view them as opportunities to learn and grow spiritually. That is, after all, why we are all here...to learn and grow. Without the opportunities this world provides to us, we would never have the chance to learn and grow spiritually.
Have you ever heard of spiritual warfare. Believe me it exist. We are in a constant battle of flesh vs Spirit daily. Yes it is sanctification and growth but the attacks are real and being purged hurts. :]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting. Please post your sermon.

bugkiller

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever heard of spiritual warfare. Believe me it exist. We are in a constant battle of flesh vs Spirit daily. Yes it is sanctification and growth but the attacks are real and being purged hurts. :]

Hmmm. That's a bit melodramatic.

Your flesh...our flesh...is nothing more than a suit we wear so we can experience this physical realm. There is no 'war' between the flesh and spirit.

You are not the flesh you are wearing. You are the spirit being inside that flesh. When the flesh falls away, you are still that spirit being. The 'attacks' you think are being waged on you are just opportunities for you to grow your spirituality.

You can either battle those opportunities or you can learn from them and grow...your choice.

Upvote 0

Shroom

Mar 10, 2018
Napier
✟11,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a teenager, so I suppose gluttony, sloth and lust drive my chief temptations ^_^

I suppose for me, I'm incredibly envious. I compare myself with others and mimic them to have what they have. Although I suppose no market functions without coveting, yay capitalism.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hmmm. That's a bit melodramatic.

Your flesh...our flesh...is nothing more than a suit we wear so we can experience this physical realm. There is no 'war' between the flesh and spirit.

You are not the flesh you are wearing. You are the spirit being inside that flesh. When the flesh falls away, you are still that spirit being. The 'attacks' you think are being waged on you are just opportunities for you to grow your spirituality.

You can either battle those opportunities or you can learn from them and grow...your choice.
Wow I can see you and I are on two seperate pages. {Or perhaps books} Since the bible I use repeatedly speaks of the wars of flesh vs spirit . So I will let it go at that. Have a blessed day :]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a teenager, so I suppose gluttony, sloth and lust drive my chief temptations
You can struggle with those when your grandchildren are teenagers as well.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting. Please post your sermon
I am typing quick because I am guest evangelist tonight at a community church and have to get on the road. I am preaching the same message as I did at my church this morning, and they always record it. I will then have to figure out to post it for anyone who would dare listen. LOL Bless ya :]

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Wow I can see you and I are on two seperate pages. {Or perhaps books} Since the bible I use repeatedly speaks of the wars of flesh vs spirit . So I will let it go at that. Have a blessed day :]

We use the same book. You find war in it, I find Divine Love in it.

You take your teachings from the religion which accepted Satan's third temptation of Jesus instead of rejecting it. I take my teachings from the One who rejected that temptation.

Christian leaders in the Fourth Century accepted the offer from Constantine to become the national religion of the Roman Empire. They accepted the authority of the Roman Emperor and allowed not only their power and authority to come from Rome but allowed their headquarters to be located in a place the Roman Empire could keep an eye on them.

Christianity has been licking the boots of politicians ever since. Today, in America, a significant portion of Christianity helped elect a president who more closely resembles the Antichrist than he does the Christ. And they did that because he promised them access to earthly political power.

You accept the teaching of the religion that the book is ALL God's word. I accept that the teachings of Jesus and the example of His life represents God's desire for the world. And Jesus taught that His followers should beware of false teachings.

There are fundamentals involved here and one needs to work through the fundamentals before they can move forward with growing their spirituality. Who are you going to believe, the religion which failed that third test or the One who passed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0