Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Temptation is the devil’s ordinary mode of action (see 1 John 3:8– 10). Satan is the tempter (1 Thess. 3:5), and just as he incited the Fall, he still directly influences us to reject grace and commit sin. Temptation is common to all.

Not all temptations arise from diabolical influence. From original sin arises the weakness of our faculties. We can develop sinful habits without the devil’s influence. The flesh and the world provide an abundance of temptations. Exorcists teach that evil spirits cannot read our thoughts, but, by observing our behavior, they can read our weaknesses.

The devil tempts us to sin by several means: deception, accusation, doubt, seduction, and provocation. These are ways of disquieting us and of arranging circumstances that will likely stir us to commit deadly sins of pride, greed, anger, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth.

In his excellent book The Devil You Don’t Know, Fr. Louis Cameli articulates four ordinary, common means of diabolical temptation: deception, division, diversion, and discouragement. In my experience, we could add distance, destruction, disobedience, and duplicity. Below, I’ll demonstrate these and other ordinary demonic.

Continued below.
Temptation: The Ordinary Ways the Devil Attacks Us

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Division
“Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand” (Matt. 12:25). Demons persistently try to divide spouses, children, extended families, colleagues, and the Church. Seeds of discord are sown across our lives. Discern the source of the division. In the family, reward unity, not division.

Beware of preferring relationships with people who move you away from your family or away from God and the Church. I remain close to family members who are opposite thinkers on politics, business, and religion. They understand that I love Christ and the Church. We are connected through desire for one another’s good, by family ties, and in times of joys and sorrows that knit us together. Love unifies.

Demons initiate or exacerbate divisions in families. Clear the air. Demons are spirits of the air: they hear what we speak. Custody of the tongue pays big dividends in families. Purity of heart protects us from rash, harsh judgments.

Upvote 0