• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Temperance Matters...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+40,428
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Temperance not only is undervalued but also misunderstood today. It does mean moderation, but not in a quantitative, mathematical sense. I could probably eat a dozen donuts, but that would be excessive. Yet not having any donuts would be excessive in the other direction, so I decide to eat only a half dozen. That’s a compromise, but not a temperate one!

Temperance is not pleasure avoidance, even though Prohibition was brought about by the “temperance movement.” And temperance is not merely “sin avoidance,” namely the mere absence of serious sins of gluttony or lust.

Temperance is all about living the good life. Here’s a textbook definition: Temperance moderates the attraction of sensual pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods.

Continued-
    Temperance Matters...

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. heavenschild

heavenschild Newbie

+14
    Catholic
    Married
    This reminds me of something that actually happened in my life. My wife and I began drinking a glass of red wine once in a while because we heard that it was good for ones heart health. As time progressed, one glass turned into two glasses and sometimes three glasses causing me to feel the ill effects of it the next day. We continued to consume red wine on a regular basis telling ourselves it was good for our health.
    I am one who goes to confession on a regular basis and really make a genuine effort to recall every sin. After examining my conscience, I always ask the lord to show me anything I may have forgotten or need to confess. After doing this, I went to confession, confident that I would make a good confession.
    Later, while praying my penance, suddenly the word "Temperance" popped into my head. I knew right away that this word was from the Lord telling me in a gentle way, that I needed to limit the amount of wine that I was drinking.