Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Temperance not only is undervalued but also misunderstood today. It does mean moderation, but not in a quantitative, mathematical sense. I could probably eat a dozen donuts, but that would be excessive. Yet not having any donuts would be excessive in the other direction, so I decide to eat only a half dozen. That’s a compromise, but not a temperate one!

Temperance is not pleasure avoidance, even though Prohibition was brought about by the “temperance movement.” And temperance is not merely “sin avoidance,” namely the mere absence of serious sins of gluttony or lust.

Temperance is all about living the good life. Here’s a textbook definition: Temperance moderates the attraction of sensual pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods.

Let’s simplify that: Passions (also known as desires or emotions) are a “given.” They are not good or evil in themselves, but must be harnessed by the intellect and will lest they run amok.

When emotions such as fear keep us from pursuing the good, we need the virtue of fortitude or courage to press on.

Other times our desires pull or even seduce us to seek what isn’t good for us. In those instances, temperance is the virtue that moderates these desires and directs them in a good and healthy way.

Temperance involves staying strong during a storm of passion. We know those storms: “munchies,” sugar cravings, a cold beer or two, sexual urges, anger, the thrill of a gamble or athletic competition, or an exhibition of speed.

Let’s face it, our sins tend to be rooted in disordered desires, so we need the virtue of temperance lest our desires take control of our lives. The various vices of intemperance will lead to addiction and enslavement—spiritual and at times physical and psychological as well.

The virtue of temperance when specifically applied to the area of sexuality is called chastity.

Everyone is called to chastity. It’s a manly thing, and it’s a difficult thing. Chastity does not mean denying our masculine sexuality, nor does it necessarily mean abstaining from sexual activity, though single men and men who have taken vows to remain celibate are to abstain from sexual intimacy.

Continued-
Temperance Matters...

heavenschild

Aug 27, 2009
✟7,993.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This reminds me of something that actually happened in my life. My wife and I began drinking a glass of red wine once in a while because we heard that it was good for ones heart health. As time progressed, one glass turned into two glasses and sometimes three glasses causing me to feel the ill effects of it the next day. We continued to consume red wine on a regular basis telling ourselves it was good for our health.
I am one who goes to confession on a regular basis and really make a genuine effort to recall every sin. After examining my conscience, I always ask the lord to show me anything I may have forgotten or need to confess. After doing this, I went to confession, confident that I would make a good confession.
Later, while praying my penance, suddenly the word "Temperance" popped into my head. I knew right away that this word was from the Lord telling me in a gentle way, that I needed to limit the amount of wine that I was drinking.

Upvote 0