Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd like to preface this with the hope that we can remain civil, and that this thread is used more for understanding and not debate.

What is it about the denomination or church that you belong to that leads you to believe it is correct, or true in its teaching? Can you look at your church and say it is following the example of Christ and His Apostles? If so, please provide some examples.

I've always been fascinated with the different denominations with Christianity...I grew up in the Episcopal Church, but loved attending a little Baptist church when I would spend the weekend with my grandparents...when I came to Christ, it was in a Pentecostal church...I've spent a couple of years in a Methodist church as well...so I consider myself a mixed bag.

My label here at CF says Pentecostal, and I am, in the sense that I believe the gifts of the Spirit are still active in the believers' lives today, just as they were on the day of Pentecost and throughout the book of Acts, and Paul's Epistles...but I differ in a lot of ways from any of the Pentecostal denominations that I've studied...I've yet to find any denomination or church that I am in 100% agreement with. If any of you have, and are could you please tell me why?

As I said in the beginning...I'd like for this to be educational and not turn into a battle royale...but, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want. :D

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up we were "evangelical" but had been to a few denominations. We always found the problem was some denominations have rules that pertain to being part of that denomination. So in the end we stuck to non-denominational churches.

Which is where we go currently. ND means basically its just going by the bible only. No added books, no removed books, no special people we listen to for that denomination, no rules like certain attire needed and what not. We are very diverse from ethnicity to views. For example some believe in the gift of tounges, some don't. Some are republican, some are democrat. Some like to dress casually, some dress very nice, some where jeans and shirts. But we all believe in God, Jesus is our saviour...etc. Of course it doesn't mean its a free for all. There are still basic rules like don't shoe up in tiny skirt and tube top. Don't swear and fight with each other.

Another example of views is a few like Alex Jones. A few think the guy is a conspiracy nut. But we all get along as a church. THe pastor is VERY down to earth. He teaches everything, not just feel good sort of stuff. He doesn't force tithe and doesn't make people guilty if they don't. He also says he is not beyond correction, if someone disagrees with him then he wants them to talk to him so maybe he can educate himself more. Which I really love because often times pastors think they are always correct.

Overall its the best denomination (well non denomination) for us because its about the bible, not man made rules or things that are ideas outside of the bible.

Reactions: Big Drew
Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My label here at CF says Pentecostal, and I am, in the sense that I believe the gifts of the Spirit are still active in the believers' lives today, just as they were on the day of Pentecost and throughout the book of Acts, and Paul's Epistles...but I differ in a lot of ways from any of the Pentecostal denominations that I've studied...I've yet to find any denomination or church that I am in 100% agreement with. If any of you have, and are could you please tell me why?
Well, Big Drew... I was raised a very strict Mennonite. Long, uncut hair, worn up in a big hair bun, and covered with a big cap or veil. Long homemade dresses in small prints and muted colors. We believed that this was the way to be unspotted from the world.

I'm a Pentecostal now. I pray a lot in tongues. I am also a woman preacher, licensed by the Church of God, TN.
I lean toward the "holiness" standard of dress... although I'm not fully convinced that's completely correct.
My denomination is much more "worldly" in appearance than I am personally. And I doubt that I will ever embrace the dress standards everyone else does. I think God expects us to be modest, and to be identifiable as male or female, by our appearance.

What I agree the most with my denomination about, is doctrine. Everything except for the sanctification step. I feel sanctification happens at the new birth, and continues progressively until we graduate to heaven.

I do believe strongly in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. There just nothing else that can be demonstrated as the Biblical proof... and they DID require the proof of the Holy Ghost FALLING UPON them. (Acts 8)
When they heard tongues, they accepted it as absolute proof. No more questions asked.

Of course, there's a lot more to this walk, than tongues. There's all the other gifts, and then there's the fruit you gotta grow. Fruit and gifts aren't the same thing. Gifts are given immediately to baby believers, but fruit grows over time.

In the denomination where I am, (Church of God, TN) women can be licensed as exhorters and even as ministers to serve as pastors and evangelists. But not as bishops. That only bothers me a tiny bit. I don't see the limit on that in Scripture.
I don't know if I will stay in this denomination. I can see myself growing and evolving as I learn more in the Word... and God might call me to do something this denomination doesn't countenance for women.

I do like to be under an umbrella of accountability, though. There is a measure of safety and respectability in that.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Although I attended a conservative Korean Baptist church for a few years (affiliated with the conservative Southern Baptist Convention) and I also attended a Korean Assemblies of God church for a few years, most of the churches that I attended as a child/teenager were churches that are members of the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad (KPCA), which is a liberal Calvinist Korean denomination.

Basically - in Korea - there are 2 branches of the Korean Presbyterian Church....the conservative branch of the Korean Presbyterian Church and the liberal branch of the Korean Presbyterian Church.

My father is an ordained minister in the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad - the liberal branch of the Korean Presbyterian Church - so 99% of the churches that I have attended have been member churches of the KPCA denomination.

The church - GKC - that I attend now used to be a member church of the KPCA denomination, but the KPCA denomination kicked GKC out of the denomination because the church put "too much" emphasis on the Holy Spirit.

After GKC was kicked out of the KPCA denomination, GKC established its own denomination with 300 other churches that GKC had planted around the world. GKC established the Korean Presbyterian Church International denomination.

Most Korean Protestant churches are very performance-based, performance-oriented. You must serve in the church to show that you are a true Christian.

I don't think that my church or denomination is the only correct church or the only correct church denomination.

That being said, there are 2 major aspects that I really like about GKC. The small group leaders at my Korean mega-church (we have at least 4,000 church members) really serve the church selflessly. The second aspect that I really like about GKC is the praise/worship. The praise team is really on fire for God.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to preface this with the hope that we can remain civil, and that this thread is used more for understanding and not debate.

What is it about the denomination or church that you belong to that leads you to believe it is correct, or true in its teaching? Can you look at your church and say it is following the example of Christ and His Apostles? If so, please provide some examples.

I've always been fascinated with the different denominations with Christianity...I grew up in the Episcopal Church, but loved attending a little Baptist church when I would spend the weekend with my grandparents...when I came to Christ, it was in a Pentecostal church...I've spent a couple of years in a Methodist church as well...so I consider myself a mixed bag.

As I said in the beginning...I'd like for this to be educational and not turn into a battle royale...but, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want. :D

Hello,

I grew up attending a Baptist church for about 30 years, so I had a fairly mainstream Protestant understanding of the Bible, but that started to change over the last 4-5 years when I started digging into studying the Jewish cultural context of the Bible in order to try to better understand it in the way that the Jews in the 1st century would have understood it. I think I've gained a much deeper understanding of the Bible over the last 4-5 years than I had gained over the previous 30 years, so I highly recommend studying the Jewish cultural context of the Bible even if you don't reach the same conclusions that I did. There is quite a bit that we miss when we don't have the same background knowledge that they had and it can be easy to come conclusions that they never would have made.

Part of what lead to this change in perspective was the seeing the stark contrast between how Jews viewed the Mosaic Law and how Christians view it. Throughout the Psalms, especially in Psalms 119, it says many times that David delighted in obeying God's, that he loved it, that he mediated on it day and night, and that people who walk according to it are blessed, and Paul also delighted in obeying God's Law (Romans 7:22), so I think he was on the same page as David, and it is not a stretch to think the average Jew was in full agreement with the Psalms as well. Yet the view of the Mosaic Law that I had been taught stood in stark contrast with the view expressed in Psalms 119. Instead of viewing the Mosaic Law by faith as a delight and a divine privilege, I viewed it as a heavy legalistic burden that Jesus had to die on the cross to free us from. Those two views are incompatible, but if the Psalms are Scripture and all Scripture God breathed and true, then my view needed to conform to Psalms 119, and I needed to read the NT authors as though they also agreed with Psalms 119. Once I started doing this, my eyes became open to many instances where Scripture had been twisted to make it against obeying God's Law counter to the warning in 2 Peter 3:15-17. Furthermore, I found that the Bible had much more continuity than I had given it credit for and made much more sense. Now I wonder how we ever got it so upside down that we actually teach against obeying the Laws of our God.

Another part of this change in perspective was realizing that there was large body of Jewish oral laws, traditions, ruling, and fences that I needed to account for in my theology. For example, in Matthew 15:2-3, Jesus was asked why his disciples didn't keep the traditions of the elders and he responded by asking them why they broke the command of God for the sake of their tradition (Deuteronomy 4:2). He went on to say that for the sake of their tradition they made void the Word of God (Matthew 15:6), he quoted Isaiah 29:13 to say that they were worshiping God in vain because they were teaching as doctrines the commands of men (Matthew 15:8-9), and he called them hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own tradition (Mark 7:6-9), so much of the conflict between Jesus and the Pharisees was in regard to the role of these oral laws and traditions rather than over God's Law, and this conflicted with the Pharisees continued with his followers through Acts 15 and Galatians.

The third part was the realization God's Law was never given for the purpose of providing the means of becoming justified that trying to become justified through obeying it has always been a legalistic perversion and fundamental misunderstanding of it. Paul spent a lot of time hammering home the point that obedience to the Law was not about being justified and that we are justified by faith apart from the Law, yet many people today are still making the error of thinking that obeying God's Law was about trying to become justified, only they have compounded their error by concluding that our faith does away with our need to obey it, whereas Paul concluded that our faith does not abolish God's Law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:27-31). In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith was one of the most important aspects of the Law and in Deuteronomy 6:24, God said that what He commanded for His people's own good, so if you believe what God said and you have faith in Him to guide you in how to rightly live, then you will live in obedience to His Law by faith, for the righteous shall live by faith (Habakkuk 2:4). According to Romans 4:1-8, Abraham was justified by faith, so God had no need to provide an alternative and unobtainable means of becoming justified through our own effort when a perfectly good means of becoming justified by faith was already in place. Abraham was justified by faith and by the same faith, he lived in obedience to God's commands, along with everyone else mentioned in Hebrews 11, so the one and only way that there has ever been to become justified is by faith.

So after a few years of digging into these issues, it eventually led me to join a Messianic congregation. According Acts 6:13, Stephen was falsely accused of teaching Jews against obeying God's Law and according to Acts 21:20-24, Paul took steps at the direct of James to disprove false rumors that he was teaching Jews against obeying God's Law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to the Law, so if no one in leadership was teaching against obeying God's Law, then all Christians were Torah observant Jews for roughly the first 7-15 years after Christ's resurrection up until the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10. This is the way that I think Christianity has always been meant to be followed, but with the inclusion of Gentiles, so this is what we seek to emulate. Originally Christianity was a sect of Judaism, so it was as much a part of Judaism as various denominations are all part of Christianity. However, over time Christianity became more cut off from the Jewish roots of its faith, with Christians following the Messiah, but not the Law that he taught and lived out, with Jews following God's Law, but not their Jewish Messiah, who is the living obedient of God's Law, and with both sadly only following half the truth. The Torah is the way (Exodus 18:20, Deuteronomy 5:33, Deuteronomy 8:6, Deuteronomy 26:16-17, Deuteronomy 28:9, Isaiah 2:3, Jeremiah 6:16-19, Psalms 119:1, Matthew 3:3, Matthew 22:16), the truth (Psalms 119:142, Psalms 119:151, John 17:17), and the life (Proverbs 13:14, Matthew 19:17, Deuteronomy 30:15-20), Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6), the Torah is God's Word, and Messiah is God's Word made flesh, so there is no following one apart from following the other.

We have two services on Saturday morning, with the the first involving a traditional Jewish liturgy with a Torah reading and commentary. We go through the Torah on a yearly cycle that reads that same Torah portion as every other Jewish congregation. The second service involves more singing and the sermon. After that, we eat a kosher meal together. Then I help with the youth group, we have prayer for Israel, a round table discussion on the Torah portion for that week, we just started Revelation study, and for a while we were having a Havdalah service at the closing of the Sabbath. That led to some long days where I left home around 9 AM and didn't get back until 7-8 PM, but people can stay as long or as short as they want.

If you are interested, we have a number of excellent studies posted online on Matthew, Romans, Galatians, the Temple, the Feasts of the Lord, the People of God, and on Finding the Messiah in the Torah:

Kehilat Sar Shalom, a Messianic Community Congregation

We also have a number of articles and the first Revelation study is posted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What I agree the most with my denomination about, is doctrine. Everything except for the sanctification step. I feel sanctification happens at the new birth, and continues progressively until we graduate to heaven.

I think salvation, redemption, forgiveness, justification, and sanctification all has past, present, and future aspects. For example, Ephesians 2:5 says that have been saved in past tense, Philippians 2:12 says to work out of salvation in the present tense, and Romans 5:9-10 says that we will be saved in the future tense, so our salvation in all encompassing in that we have been saved from the penalty of our sins, we are being saved from continuing to sin, and we will be saved from God's wrath on the day of the Lord. I recommend this article:

James Akin

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up going to a baptist church which
was nice mainly because of the community there,but than
when I was around 13 or 14 started going to Pentecostal churches
which I love.I go to a church of God and love it,we have a great pastor
and worship team,and I can feel Jesus spirit so strongly there every week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a denomination. There is no one church by name that I favor today.

Well, while I believe the gathering of the church today (which is in a big building) is an unbiblical concept, there is a church I would like to visit, but it is far away in another state from me.

Christ’s Sanctified Holy Church: Christ's Sanctified Holy Church-Holiness unto the Lord

I have God and His Word.
I merely read and believe what the Bible says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I admired the Catholic Church's principles and promises long before I joined them.

In particular I appreciate how the Church recognizes that no two people are precisely the same. And so she works to give everybody exactly what they need.

Some people need mercy. They need to hear that they're forgiven. The Church can do that.

Other people need a kick in the pants. They need to be verbally slapped upside the head and told to get their act together. The Church can do that.

Other people need opportunities to serve in charity. They need to be given chances to clothe the naked, feed the hungry and comfort the widow. The Church can do that.

Other people have an intellect which requires nourishing. These people need to learn, grow and be educated. The Church offers an intellectual banquet which can keep them stimulated for the rest of their lives. The Church can do that.

On the other end of the curve is somebody of deep faith and, shall we say, limited intelligence. They can be given the sacraments, the readings and everything else they might need to work with their more modest capacities. The Church can do that too.

My experience with evangelical Christianity is that it implicitly requires every member to be a bit of an authority on Sacred Scripture, even if that particular member's charism doesn't really lend itself to discernment or academic rigor or (with all due respect) they simply don't have the brains to be intellectuals.

I simply have not found an ecclesial community or organization in the Protestant world which easily accommodates the different aptitudes, talents and charisms which people can have.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...What is it about the denomination or church that you belong to that leads you to believe it is correct, or true in its teaching? ...

I believe my church is not correct or true in all its teachings. I also believe other denominations aren't either. I've attended several different streams of Christianity during my life, and I have yet to find a church that I trust has it all right. But, hey, we're all trying to do the best we can and be faithful servants as we understand it. I have often said it on these forums. I have no doubt when we get to Heaven Christians of every stripe will hear from the Holy Immortal One, "Well you didn't understand that one thing I said, but you tried your best. Come on in."

In short, I don't go to my church for its "truth." I hold some beliefs my church does not. Rather, I go for the rich worship opportunity it provides me. It provides me with worship that is traditional, reverential, sacramental, ordered, & predictable -- qualities I have grown to appreciate after my travels around the Christian family.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Although I attended a conservative Korean Baptist church for a few years (affiliated with the conservative Southern Baptist Convention)

My wife and I currently attend a conservative Baptist church in Suwon, South Korea. I believe they are associated with the SBC. The church is actually even more conservative than our home church in Toronto which is a part of the conservatuve FEBCC. If I had the opportunity, I would attend a confessional Lutheran church, but there is no English-speaking Lutheran congregation in Suwon.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My wife and I currently attend a conservative Baptist church in Suwon, South Korea. I believe they are associated with the SBC. The church is actually even more conservative than our home church in Toronto which is a part of the conservatuve FEBCC. If I had the opportunity, I would attend a confessional Lutheran church, but there is no English-speaking Lutheran congregation in Suwon.

Get a theological education and start your own. That's what my pastor would advise. Under extraordinary conditions, Lutherans are free to start their own congregation, though it is preferable to try to contact other Lutherans first.

You might also try contacting the LCK, as they are looking to expand:
Lutheran Church in Korea - Wikipedia

The LCK is an unusual body because it was started by folks from the LCMS but it's also affiliated with the Lutheran World Federation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Get a theological education and start your own. That's what my pastor would advise. Under extraordinary conditions, Lutherans are free to start their own congregation, though it is preferable to try to contact other Lutherans first.

You might also try contacting the LCK, as they are looking to expand:
Lutheran Church in Korea - Wikipedia

The LCK is an unusual body because it was started by folks from the LCMS but it's also affiliated with the Lutheran World Federation.

Get a theological education? Hmm... not sure that I'm up to that right now. I already hold both a BRE and an MDiv. I didn't know that about Lutheran churches though. Worth considering. Thank you for the info on the LCK. I emailed them about a month ago, and one of the two pastors from it invited me to his church, but it's not realistic for me to attend there regularly due to the travel that would be involved.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Get a theological education? Hmm... not sure that I'm up to that right now. I already hold both a BRE and an MDiv. I didn't know that about Lutheran churches though. Worth considering. Thank you for the info on the LCK. I emailed them about a month ago, and one of the two pastors from it invited me to his church, but it's not realistic for me to attend there regularly due to the travel that would be involved.

If you have a MDiv. you are probably already over halfway there, TBH. Lutheranism shares a great deal of the basics of historic Protestantism, after all Calvin was basically a Lutheran in France before he broke ways (he really was uncomfortable with our concept of vocation, and wanted a more disciplined, rationalized Christian life). I wish I had more resources to recommend. I think anything by Gerhard Forde is good at getting to the heart of Lutheranism and what makes it distinct. Justification by Faith: a Matter of Death and Life really helped me, but coming from an Orthodox background, learning to be Lutheran was difficult at first, it involved unlearning so much.

https://www.amazon.com/Justification-Faith-Matter-Death-Life/dp/1620322102

Gerhard Forde - Wikipedia

Maybe you could start a mission. There's no reason to just go halfway on what you believe.

• Informative
Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0