• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Tell me about the Monastic Life

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by d0c markus, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d0c markus

d0c markus The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few

+73
    Baptist
    Single
    Is it possible to go spend some time with some monks? While i may disagree theologically I think it would be theraputic to go spend some time among thier ranks.

Are they away from technology and that kinda stuff?

Thanks,
    Mark

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Archbishop 10-K

Archbishop 10-K Guest

+0
    There are different orders (Dominican, Franciscan, Benedictine, etc.) so there are different rules and lifestyles. I will allow someone with more knowledge on this to answer you.

3. Archbishop 10-K

Archbishop 10-K Guest

+0
    Oh, and as a plug for Lasermonks, check out Lasermonks.com. You will get GREAT deals on printer cartridges, plus, these guys pray for you. Bet you don't get that kind of service at Office Max!

4. d0c markus

+73
    Baptist
    Single
    hahahaha.... wow... you definitly cant beat that

5. stray bullet

stray bullet God Made Me A Skeptic

+867
    Private
    I'm sure some others like Rising_Suns would probably be able to go into better detail about the specifics, but some allow visitors and guests from all walks of life.

Since a Catholic life revolves around the mass and communion, I'm really not sure how one who was not Catholic could be "among their ranks" though and have that work out. Outside of being a visitor or guest, I believe that they allow people to be with them at the monastery for a few years if they are trying to determine if they are called and prepared for the monastic life.

I've always thought about how healthy is would be more me to be at a monastery for an extended period of time, but from the impression I have, it is for those looking into making that their life's 'work'.

6. Cat59

Cat59 Just me

+99
    Atheist
    Private
    Hiya Mark!
    Many monastries have guest houses, where people can go and share their life, to a certain extent, certainly join in the prayer of the community. This link is to a monastry near-ish to me and gives you a bit more detail about their lives. (Click on "The Monks" link on the left of the home page for more details)
    Cat
    http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/

7. d0c markus

+73
    Baptist
    Single
    Cool. Thanks - No one else has any other information?

8. MParedon

MParedon Yahweh-nissi

+148
    Catholic
  9. patriarch

patriarch Senior Member

+4
    Catholic
    New Melleray Abbey in Dubuque, Iowa is a Cistercian Monastery that does have an associates program that would permit you to live and work there with the monks for some weeks, I believe.

Check out http://www.newmelleray.org/

BTW, Dominicans and Franciscans are friars, not monks.

Patriarch

10. d0c markus

+73
    Baptist
    Single
    whats the difference between a monk and a friar? Also anyone know of any monistaries in ohio?

11. Michelina

Michelina . Supporter

+651
    Catholic
    Monks' (e.g. Benedictines, Carthusians, etc) lives are (basically) completely within their monastery.

Friars have what the monks have but also work outside the monastery, usually most of the time.

12. MParedon

MParedon Yahweh-nissi

+148
    Catholic
    I found an Orthodox Monastary in Ohio :)

Serbian Orthodox Monastary: 330-659-3809
    5095 Broadview Rd Richfield, OH 44286, US[​IMG]

13. d0c markus

+73
    Baptist
    Single
    Cool its not to far from me either ;)

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.